Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JimmyPageZoSo56

does anyone know what st. patrick did to become a saint? i'm catholic, and have no idea. i think st. pat's day is regarded as an irish holiday...parades, drinking, yatta but it is obviously a catholic holiday. so, what are we celebrating, i wonder? beuller?

John Roach

for National Geographic News

March 16, 2009

On St. Patrick's Day—Tuesday, March 17—millions of people will don green and celebrate the Irish in, and around, them with parades, good cheer, and perhaps a pint of beer. But few St. Patrick's Day revelers have a clue about St. Patrick, the man, according to the author of St. Patrick of Ireland: A Biography. "The modern celebration of St. Patrick's Day really has almost nothing to do with the real man," said classics professor Philip Freeman of Luther College in Iowa.

Who Was the Man Behind St. Patrick's Day?

The real St. Patrick wasn't even Irish.

He was born in Britain around A.D. 390 to an aristocratic Christian family with a townhouse, a country villa, and plenty of slaves. What's more, Patrick professed no interest in Christianity as a young boy, Freeman noted.

At 16, Patrick's world turned. He was kidnapped and sent overseas to tend sheep as a slave in the chilly, mountainous countryside of Ireland for seven years.

"It was just horrible for him," Freeman said. "But he got a religious conversion while he was there and became a very deeply believing Christian."

Hearing Voices

According to folklore, a voice came to Patrick in his dreams, telling him to escape. He found passage on a pirate ship back to Britain, where he was reunited with his family.

The voice then told him to go back to Ireland.

"He gets ordained as a priest from a bishop and goes back and spends the rest of his life trying to convert the Irish to Christianity," Freeman said.

Patrick's work in Ireland was tough—he was constantly beaten by thugs, harassed by the Irish royalty, and admonished by his British superiors.

After he died on March 17, 461, Patrick was largely forgotten. But slowly, mythology grew up around Patrick. Centuries later he was honored as the patron saint of Ireland, Freeman noted.

news.nationalgeographic.com

Not for nothing, but here's the backstory on the Irish Car Bomb cocktail:

http://www.irishcarbomb.com/

It's basically a Boilermaker, but it uses Irish liquor instead. I can understand how some people who have been personally affected by IRA violence might be offended by the drink's name, but it appears to have been a tongue-in-cheek reference to the reaction the two ingredients had when mixed then anything else. I don't think the person who said "car bombs away" was trying to be offensive or cruel. I think he was just voicing his drink of choice for today.

I wondered if it was an Irish-American concoction. You'd certainly be hard-pressed to find a pub in Britain that sold an Irish cocktail named 'Car Bomb' - that would almost certainly go down like a lead balloon.

I wondered if it was an Irish-American concoction. You'd certainly be hard-pressed to find a pub in Britain that sold an Irish cocktail named 'Car Bomb' - that would almost certainly go down like a lead balloon.

According to another site I was reading about that particular drink, it's not uncommon for British pubs to refuse to serve them. Which is completely understandable.

According to another site I was reading about that particular drink, it's not uncommon for British pubs to refuse to serve them. Which is completely understandable.

Car bombs and pubs were the IRA's forte in Britain, so it doesn't surprise me that I've never heard of it, or that some places refuse to serve it.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

May the Luck of the Irish be with you!

My husband is attending a men's only dinner with the Irish Fellowship. No women allowed!

I am enjoying watching John Wayne in The Quiet Man.

It was filmed in Cong, Ireland. We visited there this summer and went on a walking tour of the town where people in our tour group re-enacted the movie. What fun.

A few pictures from Cong:

DSC00876.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

Site of Saint Patrick's well where he baptized the Irish, located on the grounds of St. Patrick's Cathedtral in Dublin.

DSC01174.jpg

I am enjoying watching John Wayne in The Quiet Man.

It was filmed in Cong, Ireland. We visited there this summer and went on a walking tour of the town where people in our tour group re-enacted the movie. What fun.

I'd love to be a part of that! Even take the beating Victor McLaglen got, just to have a few pints and buckets of water thrown in my face. My wife doesn't want to watch it this year, so I'm sitting here kinda pissed off, anyway.

I'd love to be a part of that! Even take the beating Victor McLaglen got, just to have a few pints and buckets of water thrown in my face. My wife doesn't want to watch it this year, so I'm sitting here kinda pissed off, anyway.

It is on TCM channel, no commercials.

Here is a picture of some of the people in the tour group dressed like the characters in the movie. I had never met these people prior to the tour, but a few of them were crazy about this movie and were gung-ho to dress up like the characters.

DSC00890.jpg

Hi 'longdistancewinner'

You've never been to Kilburn then? its like the Biggest IRA hangout in England, you could probably get the real think there with no problems.

Regards, Danny

Hi 'longdistancewinner'

You've never been to Kilburn then? its like the Biggest IRA hangout in England, you could probably get the real think there with no problems.

Regards, Danny

Nah, don't recollect going to Kilburn - have probably gone through it, at some point. Besides, I have a higher percentage of Polski in me than Paddy.

There's a largish population of the Irish in Nottingham, though. And I was always told that because of that Nottingham was never on the IRA's 'list'. How much truth there is to it - I don't know.

In the spirit of BigStickBonzo's "caaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr bombs away" drink,

Since green is the color of the day, and inebriation is the condition sought,

I have an offering

"Let's Roll !!!"

znx2xg.jpg

I'm half Irish and I don't find BSB's comment amusing at all.I never found anything amusing about that drinks' name either.Knebby made a strong point,I think it should be respected.

You're the same douchebag that keeps coming back for more.When are you going to grow up?

Mmmmm, this Bailey's Irish Cream feels really good on my sore throat, as did the hot broth from the corned beef and cabbage that has simmered all afternoon.

My favorite dish consists of mashed potatoes, carrots, onions, and cabbage blended with a little milk, butter, black pepper. I wasn't really hungry for corned beef, but it will probably do nicely in a sandwich later.

Cheers to St. Patrick.

In the spirit of BigStickBonzo's "caaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr bombs away" drink,

Since green is the color of the day, and inebriation is the condition sought,

I have an offering

"Let's Roll !!!"

znx2xg.jpg

Yea dude! that's awesome! Then again, I really don't know anyone who does that on St. Patrick's Day.

Good Evening:

Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya all...headin' out soon to take in the celebrations at the local watering hole...

I liked the Irish band that was on Canada AM today....

Juliet

Went out but band was a folk duo and I didn't hear any Irish tunes....but there was green beer and good decorations..went home and put my Irish CD on instead..

I'm half Irish myself and being an American, I never put an "Irish Car Bomb" into context considering the people on here from Britain or who know nothing of the drink. If I offended you, my mistake. I assure you it was in clean fun. I hope everyone's celebration was as entertaining and singable as mine! ;)

Archived