Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JimmyPageZoSo56

What a surprise to read in this thread that all the people wishing 'everyone' a Happy St Patrick's Day........................aren't even Irish. :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddies should be banned from existing. Even the Irish don't much care for them LOL.

I don't think you need to be such a jerk about it, frankly. Are non-Americans not allowed to wish an American a Happy 4th of July? Am I not allowed to wish a Canadian a Happy Thanksgiving in October when ours is in November?

Come off it already. I know plenty of people who are full Irish and they think the whole day has been destroyed of any actual value and is nothing more than a commercialized day for binge drinking and debauchery. Me saying Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who are Irish isn't demeaning the day. It's me saying "Happy St. Patrick's Day", which last I checked......is a complete farking non-issue.

I'm half Irish myself and being an American, I never put an "Irish Car Bomb" into context considering the people on here from Britain or who know nothing of the drink. If I offended you, my mistake. I assure you it was in clean fun. I hope everyone's celebration was as entertaining and singable as mine! ;)

Classy response and understood.

I'm half Irish myself and being an American, I never put an "Irish Car Bomb" into context considering the people on here from Britain or who know nothing of the drink. If I offended you, my mistake. I assure you it was in clean fun. I hope everyone's celebration was as entertaining and singable as mine! ;)

Gotcha :)

Yea dude! that's awesome! Then again, I really don't know anyone who does that on St. Patrick's Day.

I will be doing "hash" today - leftover corned beef, potatoes, and onions, shredded and fried to golden brown crust. And some gooey eggs on the side...

Thank you for sorting that out bsb.

Thanks for the response, BSB. I wasn't offended, just baffled - but that's probably down to my ignorance of the cocktail.

I honestly thought most of you had heard of that drink and knew that's what he was referencing. It never dawned on me you thought he was trying to be offensive.

I find that quite sad. We in the UK are aware that the US always appeared to "gloss over" the terrorist attacks inflicted on us by Irish terroists, but to read such a glaring example of that is unpleasant. To not realise that even the name of the cocktail is offensive.....well, I find that .....sadly unsurprising.

What a surprise to read in this thread that all the people wishing 'everyone' a Happy St Patrick's Day........................aren't even Irish. :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddies should be banned from existing. Even the Irish don't much care for them LOL.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Many people in the U.S. are of Irish descent, and very proud of it. St. Patrick's Day has long been a popular holiday here, a good time for everyone regardless of their actual ethnic/national persuasion. Who died and made you arbiter of who is "genuine" Irish and who's not? I've been to Ireland several times, Northern Ireland and the Republic, and the people have none of the arrogance and narrow-mindedness you exhibit. They're quite pleased when someone takes an interest in their culture, and (generally speaking) are very fond of Americans, as we are of them.

On a more postive note: Electrophile, your avatar is hot as hell - love it!

WTF is that supposed to mean? Many people in the U.S. are of Irish descent, and very proud of it. St. Patrick's Day has long been a popular holiday here, a good time for everyone regardless of their actual ethnic/national persuasion. Who died and made you arbiter of who is "genuine" Irish and who's not? I've been to Ireland several times, Northern Ireland and the Republic, and the people have none of the arrogance and narrow-mindedness you exhibit. They're quite pleased when someone takes an interest in their culture, and (generally speaking) are very fond of Americans, as we are of them.

On a more postive note: Electrophile, your avatar is hot as hell - love it!

It's quite arrogant of him to think that those who do wish others a happy St. Patrick's Day aren't Irish. His original quip was that he didn't like the non-Irish celebrating it. So, therefore, he's now assuming that all those that do wish a happy St. Patrick's Day to someone aren't Irish, either. To a degree it bothers me that the English celebrate St. Patrick's Day over their own patron saint, but I'm not bothered in the slightest when it comes to the rest of the world. I don't see why he should be, either.

And the majority of people in this thread have said that they're of Irish descent (no matter how diluted) - including myself - but, I guess, that doesn't mean a thing...

It's quite arrogant of him to think that those who do wish others a happy St. Patrick's Day aren't Irish. His original quip was that he didn't like the non-Irish celebrating it. So, therefore, he's now assuming that all those that do wish a happy St. Patrick's Day to someone aren't Irish, either. To a degree it bothers me that the English celebrate St. Patrick's Day over their own patron saint, but I'm not bothered in the slightest when it comes to the rest of the world. I don't see why he should be, either.

And the majority of people in this thread have said that they're of Irish descent (no matter how diluted) - including myself - but, I guess, that doesn't mean a thing...

I think you bring up an important point. The cultural dynamics and national history of the US and the UK are totally different (well, from the time we split off from the UK, anyway). The US is basically a nation of immigrants, and we have been trying to find ways to assert our diversity but at the same time find unity with each other as Americans for centuries, and for us, St. Patrick's Day is one result of that. It's a way to celebrate Irish heritage while not leaving everyone else out to dry, and even more than that, commemorates the struggles and triumphs we've experienced in the process of building this country. I agree that it's become an excuse to get drunk, but still, there is more to it than that under the surface.

I realize that the UK is also a very culturally diverse place, but the dynamics just aren't the same. We don't have the same close - and rather tense - relationship with Ireland/Northern Ireland that England does, so we have the luxury of building up whatever mythology we please surrounding Ireland (leprechauns, shamrocks, whiskey, etc.) because we don't really have to see Ireland as it is today (for better or worse - I don't mean to pass judgment on it). Also related to that is the fact that the majority of Irish immigrants to the US came in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and so our "familial memories" of Ireland that have been passed down are based on visions of it as it was a hundred years ago. We know it's not like that anymore, but at the same time, it's usually what we think of first when we think of Ireland. Same thing with my ancestors, some of whom were Norwegian; Norwegians in Norway have long since stopped eating lutefisk (nasty, effed-up fish) for the most part, but we keep the tradition alive in the US because it's what our ancestors passed down to us.

So, to sum up, I can see where somebody from England would be a little more touchy on the subject of celebrating St. Patrick's Day, but just be aware that we have a whole other set of meanings attached to it in the U.S.

I find that quite sad. We in the UK are aware that the US always appeared to "gloss over" the terrorist attacks inflicted on us by Irish terroists, but to read such a glaring example of that is unpleasant. To not realise that even the name of the cocktail is offensive.....well, I find that .....sadly unsurprising.

I think you've completely misunderstood what I was saying.

I know what an "Irish Car Bomb" is, both as a drink and an actual terrorist tool. What I was saying was, I thought you all knew he was talking about the drink, not making a reference to actual incindiary devices. I for one, don't appreciate you even remotely insinuating that I somehow am not aware of what Irish terrorists have done in England, or that you think I'm completely ignorant of the drink name's other meaning. I mean, seriously. You can make base assumptions about Americans all you want, but don't apply them to me, please.

I thought you knew he was talking about the drink. I didn't know you were unaware that there was a cocktail called an "Irish Car Bomb". That's why I made a comment in the first damn place. I thought the drink was pretty well-known.

My point is that the very fact that a drink is named an "Irish Car Bomb" is offensive - regardless of whether he was talking about the drink or not at the time, to not realise it was offensive is shocking to me.

Seriously - does anyone think that the name "Irish Car Bomb" for a drink or any other Goddamn thing is not a reference to the terrorist attrocities?????

So how in the hell could that NOT be offensive?

Jeez.

It's not a question of "whether he was talking about the drink or not". He WAS talking about the drink. I 100% do not believe for one nanosecond he was making reference to actual bombs.

That said, why don't you PM bigstickbonzo and voice your grievances to him, rather than screaming at me. Because rather than take it out on he who made the intial error, you've chosen to jump down my throat. I was defending him because I knew what the hell he was talking about, and understanding that the term is offensive to some people, I was trying to diffuse the situation by saying he was talking about a cocktail, not making macabre references to the IRA. I was trying to help, since I feared right after he posted, someone would say something. Bigstickbonzo is not a rude, crass or insensitive person and I was trying to make sure people didn't get the wrong impression about him. I thought I was being nice.

It's not my fault that people are not aware of the origin of the drink's name.

My point is that the very fact that a drink is named an "Irish Car Bomb" is offensive - regardless of whether he was talking about the drink or not at the time, to not realise it was offensive is shocking to me.

Seriously - does anyone think that the name "Irish Car Bomb" for a drink or any other Goddamn thing is not a reference to the terrorist attrocities?????

So how in the hell could that NOT be offensive?

Jeez.

Your dealing with Yankees mam, a Southern Lady or Gentleman would show more sympathy towards you.

I think the Yankees have shown more sympathy for the IRA than the IRAs victims both in Northern Ireland and England.

Anyone born North of the Mason-Dixon Line is a German or Irish (or both) Sympathiser in my opinion and should not be trusted to be a friend to the English.

Its totaly different in the South, we Engliah have many friends down there, maybe its because many English settled in the South and they still have fond memories of home.

After 9/11 you would think that they would be a bit more understanding wouldnt you?

Darn those Yankeeys. :lol:

Fondest Regards Mam, From a Cockney Gent.

Yeah, I'm a Yankee. Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois.

However that has absolutely not a goddamned thing to do with what this thread is about or what the sidetrack to this thread is about, so what in the name of God are you blathering on for? You have not one single clue what you're talking about -- not one iota of a clue. Less than not one iota of a clue.

You've shown yourself to be bigoted already towards Muslims and immigrants to England, now you want to show yourself to bigoted against Americans not from the South? Do me a favor and stick your other foot in your mouth before you try and say something else.

It's not a question of "whether he was talking about the drink or not". He WAS talking about the drink. I 100% do not believe for one nanosecond he was making reference to actual bombs.

That is what the fucking reference IS though! Or tell me - what is the "other" meaning of "Irish Car Bomb"?

That said, why don't you PM bigstickbonzo and voice your grievances to him, rather than screaming at me.

I have not "screamed" at you - until my previous words in this post, every one of my exchanges with you in ths thread has been totally calm. Your idea that I was "screaming" at you says more about you than about me.

And why should I PM him? This is a discussion forum. Is it only open discussion when it suits you?

Because rather than take it out on he who made the intial error, you've chosen to jump down my throat.

I didn't "jump down your throat" at all. I calmly expressed sadness at your response and total lack of awareness of the offensiveness of the term "Irish Car Bomb".

BSB actually came back and said he was sorry for any offence he caused.

It appears that your point is that because the reference was to a drink, it wasn't offensive. It was.

I was defending him because I knew what the hell he was talking about, and understanding that the term is offensive to some people, I was trying to diffuse the situation by saying he was talking about a cocktail, not making macabre references to the IRA.

The name of the cocktail is a macabre reference to the IRA. That is what is offensive. Why don't you get that?

I was trying to help, since I feared right after he posted, someone would say something. Bigstickbonzo is not a rude, crass or insensitive person and I was trying to make sure people didn't get the wrong impression about him. I thought I was being nice.

It's not my fault that people are not aware of the origin of the drink's name.

Admirable (100% not sarcastic) - and BSB and I have had our own exchanges in the past and I am perfectly aware what kind of person he is - this is not personal, after all you and I had a nodding friendship before, so why would I be having this discussion with you?

The simple fact is - the term "Irish Car Bomb" is offensive, as the name of a drink or anything else, and the fact that you don't seem to get that really speaks for every point I have tried to make.

*edited for spelling

After a few Irish Car Bombs, I bet those drunks starting singing

"London Bridge is Falling Down, Falling Down".

My dear lady!

Fucking hilarious.

I'm off for a few "Twin Towers" and "Afghani Pilots" now.

What - you're offended?

They're only cocktails. :rolleyes:

I KNOW THE FUCKING TERM IRISH CAR BOMB IS OFFENSIVE, FOR GOD'S SAKE. WHAT THE HOLY SHIT.

*deep breath*

What I am saying, for the trillionth goddamned time is that even though the name of the drink references an actual bomb, HE WASN'T TALKING ABOUT A BOMB AND I WAS AFRAID SOMEONE WOULD THINK HE WAS IF THEY DIDN'T KNOW A COCKTAIL WITH THAT NAME EXISTED. I was specifically trying to avoid this.

There is a difference to me, between referencing the drink and referencing what the drink references; i.e. talking about a cocktail and talking about a bomb. They aren't the same thing. A Bloody Mary is a drink, are English Protestants going to get all offended and say it's offensive because it references a Queen who burned English protestants at the stake? So if I say I'm having a Bloody Mary with brunch on Sunday, is that somehow offending people? No.....I'm talking about a goddamned drink.

Yeah, I'm a Yankee. Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois.

However that has absolutely not a goddamned thing to do with what this thread is about or what the sidetrack to this thread is about, so what in the name of God are you blathering on for? You have not one single clue what you're talking about -- not one iota of a clue. Less than not one iota of a clue.

You've shown yourself to be bigoted already towards Muslims and immigrants to England, now you want to show yourself to bigoted against Americans not from the South? Do me a favor and stick your other foot in your mouth before you try and say something else.

:bait: I just knew you would bite, every on a winner, you didnt let me down, thanks.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I honestly thought most of you had heard of that drink and knew that's what he was referencing. It never dawned on me you thought he was trying to be offensive.

So, it never dawned on you that the term "Irish Car Bomb" was offensive. That saying "I'm off for a pint of Guinness" might have been easier to read

Then my point is made.

Archived