Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JimmyPageZoSo56

So, it never dawned on you that the term "Irish Car Bomb" was offensive. That saying "I'm off for a pint of Guinness" might have been easier to read

Then my point is made.

WRONG. I said it never dawned on me you didn't think he was talking about the cocktail. THAT is what I meant. Not that I didn't think you thought the term was offensive or that I didn't think the term was offensive.

All this bullshit because you completely misread a point I was trying to make. So no, your point hasn't been made.

Eh? But I QUOTED you. I didn't alter your words or take them out of context. I QUOTED you. You said it never dawned on you that anyone would think he was being offensive. Stop and THINK for a minute

If you cannot see why this whole thing was offensive - yes, my point is completely made. Kat understood that several posts back.

Eh? But I QUOTED you. I didn't alter your words or take them out of context. I QUOTED you. You said it never dawned on you that anyone would think he was being offensive. Stop and THINK for a minute

If you cannot see why this whole thing was offensive - yes, my point is completely made. Kat understood that several posts back.

How many times am I going to have to say this? I don't care if you quoted me, you misread what I was saying. I didn't accuse you of altering my words, I said you misread them.

I said it didn't dawn on me someone would think he was being offensive. That meant, I didn't think anyone would think he wasn't talking about the drink. See? That wasn't difficult. I know what an Irish Car Bomb is. I've said that more than a few times already. I knew he was talking about the drink. He was going to drink Irish Car Bombs. I didn't think anyone here thought he was talking about throwing bombs at people. I thought, apparently wrong, that people knew he was talking about drinking cocktails.

For the last fucking time, that is what I was talking about. And for the last fucking time, quit saying I don't know that the term Irish Car Bomb is offensive. All you had to do was PM me and ask what I meant. I would have cleared it up and there would have been no need for 3 pages of back and forth bitching about the misunderstanding of words.

Ok - so lets say its July 4th. And I come onto the "Happy July 4th" thread and I say "I'm going off for a World Trade Jumper!" And people get offended. And I say" Hey - I'm not talking about the EVENT- I'm talking about the DRINK! Some guys in Blackpool were mixing Scrumpy with Sloe Gin, and a bit jumped over the side, and they all said "Hey! That looks just like the photo of one of those guys jumping out of the World Trade Centre on September 11th! Lets call the drink that!" And I just thought it was a really appropriate drink to have on July 4th, and to talk about. Because I didn't think that the death of innocent people was offensive.

Elizabeth- what the hell IS your point? that he was talking about a drink and not an actual car bomb? I GET THAT. Kat GOT that. Most of us get that. What we don't get is why you don't get that THE NAME OF THE COCKTAIL IS OFFENSIVE - so why you didn't think people would be offended is a mystery.

YOU STILL DON'T SEE THAT IT WAS NOT THE DRINK THAT OFFENDED!!!!!!! Do you really think I thought he was going off to put bombs in cars ( you don't "throw" car bombs). I WASN'T offened because I thought he was going off to plant bombs. I was offended because he thought it was OK to use that term in this thread - or anywhere - in a light-hearted manner. He has apologised for that - we are done with it.

You still don't get it - and that is what saddened me in the first place. You still came on here and said that you didn't think people would be offended. Think about it.

"To a degree it bothers me that the English celebrate St. Patrick's Day over their own patron saint," but I'm not bothered in the slightest when it comes to the rest of the world. I don't see why he should be, either.

And the majority of people in this thread have said that they're of Irish descent (no matter how diluted) - including myself - but, I guess, that doesn't mean a thing...

Hi 'longdistancewinner'

I dont know how it is in Nottingham, but here in London we "English" are not allowed to Celebrate "St Georges Day" in case it offends and Ethnic Minority Community by order of "The Mayor of London" Mr Ken Livinstone, although he made funds available to The Irish for Community "St Patricks Day" and the Black Community for "The Nottong Hill Carnival. We English are not at all offended by his calious disregard for our heritage but we do regarde him as a "Traitor". We have come to expext this "Neville Chamberlain" type of appeasement from all our "Elected Leaders".

We also celebrate St Patricks Day by drinking large quantities of Guiness but flying the "Cross Of St George flag and sitting under it, we aint bigoted, we will celebrate anyones Saints Day, or anything else for that matter.

But I would rather be remembered as a "Bigot" than a "Car Bomber".

Regards, Danny

PS. "Bigot" sounds like a good drink too me, London Gin with a Dash of Humour, :yay:

here's to you Paddy. :beer:

Saint Patrick was not Irish. He was either English, Scottish or Welsh.

Hi 'eternal light'

He was none of the above, he was a Romano-Briton from South West "ENGLAND". Somerset to be sure.

http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artgue/guestjelley.htm

The "Irish" would never admit to it, worshiping an "Englishman" well how could they live with themselves to be sure?

Regards, Danny

I think you bring up an important point. The cultural dynamics and national history of the US and the UK are totally different (well, from the time we split off from the UK, anyway). The US is basically a nation of immigrants, and we have been trying to find ways to assert our diversity but at the same time find unity with each other as Americans for centuries, and for us, St. Patrick's Day is one result of that. It's a way to celebrate Irish heritage while not leaving everyone else out to dry, and even more than that, commemorates the struggles and triumphs we've experienced in the process of building this country. I agree that it's become an excuse to get drunk, but still, there is more to it than that under the surface.

I realize that the UK is also a very culturally diverse place, but the dynamics just aren't the same. We don't have the same close - and rather tense - relationship with Ireland/Northern Ireland that England does, so we have the luxury of building up whatever mythology we please surrounding Ireland (leprechauns, shamrocks, whiskey, etc.) because we don't really have to see Ireland as it is today (for better or worse - I don't mean to pass judgment on it). Also related to that is the fact that the majority of Irish immigrants to the US came in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and so our "familial memories" of Ireland that have been passed down are based on visions of it as it was a hundred years ago. We know it's not like that anymore, but at the same time, it's usually what we think of first when we think of Ireland. Same thing with my ancestors, some of whom were Norwegian; Norwegians in Norway have long since stopped eating lutefisk (nasty, effed-up fish) for the most part, but we keep the tradition alive in the US because it's what our ancestors passed down to us.

So, to sum up, I can see where somebody from England would be a little more touchy on the subject of celebrating St. Patrick's Day, but just be aware that we have a whole other set of meanings attached to it in the U.S.

Excellent post. :)

There is a difference to me, between referencing the drink and referencing what the drink references; i.e. talking about a cocktail and talking about a bomb. They aren't the same thing. A Bloody Mary is a drink, are English Protestants going to get all offended and say it's offensive because it references a Queen who burned English protestants at the stake? So if I say I'm having a Bloody Mary with brunch on Sunday, is that somehow offending people? No.....I'm talking about a goddamned drink.

Not to be taking sides, but for me, there's a huge difference between comparing a Bloody Mary to an 'Irish Car Bomb' - one wasn't active/alive as of two weeks ago. Irish Car bomb may be a drink, but to me it's a reference to the IRA. There's no other way around it.

For some, the IRA is still very raw. Some of our countries biggest attacks happened just over a decade ago. Not hundreds of years ago. The impact of them hasn't been diluted. Their meaning isn't lost. And, obviously, it's not completely gone away. Their attacks weren't one offs - they were constant and spanned nearly 4 decades. I always feel very sad when I hear of a soldier's funeral on the news, but I'd rather he died fighting for his country, than have him die at the hands of a cowardly group of terrorists - whose country he fought for.

Hi 'longdistancewinner'

I dont know how it is in Nottingham, but here in London we "English" are not allowed to Celebrate "St Georges Day" in case it offends and Ethnic Minority Community by order of "The Mayor of London" Mr Ken Livinstone, although he made funds available to The Irish for Community "St Patricks Day" and the Black Community for "The Nottong Hill Carnival. We English are not at all offended by his calious disregard for our heritage but we do regarde him as a "Traitor". We have come to expext this "Neville Chamberlain" type of appeasement from all our "Elected Leaders".

We also celebrate St Patricks Day by drinking large quantities of Guiness but flying the "Cross Of St George flag and sitting under it, we aint bigoted, we will celebrate anyones Saints Day, or anything else for that matter.

But I would rather be remembered as a "Bigot" than a "Car Bomber".

Regards, Danny

PS. "Bigot" sounds like a good drink too me, London Gin with a Dash of Humour, :yay:

here's to you Paddy. :beer:

I think it's the same wherever you go. To be fair, it's not the immigrant's fault - it's the council's. It's still not right, though.

Hi 'eternal light'

He was none of the above, he was a Romano-Briton from South West "ENGLAND". Somerset to be sure.

http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artgue/guestjelley.htm

The "Irish" would never admit to it, worshiping an "Englishman" well how could they live with themselves to be sure?

Regards, Danny

They had to make an exception for him though. It was the raiders who kidnapped him and first took him to Ireland. Divine intervention freed him, and then caused his return. They needed salvation to remove the Druid's curse on the Kinsella clan, so the Irish came out alright on the deal. And though they venerated Saint Patrick, by all rights they reserved worship for the Lord of Light Himself.

kinsella.org/history/eanna

After a few Irish Car Bombs, I bet those drunks starting singing

"London Bridge is Falling Down, Falling Down".

My fair lady!

I just realized it was Olaf of Norway's fault, not the Irish. My bad.

You just don't know how to keep your little dick in your pants,do you Joel?

You filthy little pig.Keep hiding,you will be found.

They had to make an exception for him though. It was the raiders who kidnapped him and first took him to Ireland. Divine intervention freed him, and then caused his return. They needed salvation to remove the Druid's curse on the Kinsella clan, so the Irish came out alright on the deal.

Yea, but these raiders were IRISH, they were Raiding England, so why all the anonymousity to the English when the English did it back? IRISH logic I suppose, they like being the "Victims" they get more sympathy that way, just like Knebby said, there was little sympathy for the Victims of the IRA, English/WASPs, around the world, but it seems it was the Irish who started it in the first place.

Regards, Danny

Excellent post. :)

Not to be taking sides, but for me, there's a huge difference between comparing a Bloody Mary to an 'Irish Car Bomb' - one wasn't active/alive as of two weeks ago. Irish Car bomb may be a drink, but to me it's a reference to the IRA. There's no other way around it.

For some, the IRA is still very raw. Some of our countries biggest attacks happened just over a decade ago. Not hundreds of years ago. The impact of them hasn't been diluted. Their meaning isn't lost. And, obviously, it's not completely gone away. Their attacks weren't one offs - they were constant and spanned nearly 4 decades. I always feel very sad when I hear of a soldier's funeral on the news, but I'd rather he died fighting for his country, than have him die at the hands of a cowardly group of terrorists - whose country he fought for.

I think it's the same wherever you go. To be fair, it's not the immigrant's fault - it's the council's. It's still not right, though.

Hi 'longdistancewinner'

For someone so young you have a very old head on your shoulders. (Thats a compliment, by the way)

Look, i've been very quiet about all this, i'm from East London, a Cockney, decended from Irish/Norfolk/Jewish stock, to be sure oi vei begora. I've also witnessed Five Terrorist bombs in London First Hand.

1. Woolwich Pub Bomb, (Kings Arms) Nov 1974, a place I frequented often, I was drinking in nereby Pub, saw the carnage.

2. Greenwich Gas Works, I lived across the River Thames on the Isle of Dogs at the time and I was woken by the explosion 1/4 mile away. 1978.

3. Another one at Woolwich Common, 1/4 mile from where I no live, Old Lady lost a leg and her dog was killed. 1980s

4. Canary Wharf, I was visiting friends, and it was very close, I was knocked over by the blast wave but unhurt. Feb 1996.

5. Tavistock Sq. 7 July 2005. Again I was a few hundred yards away from the bomb, this is the only one that really scared me, a Taxi Driver told me a that dozen Busses had been blown up all over London, I shit it, couldnt phone anyone as the phonelines and mobiles were shut down, I really wanted to be somewhere else that day.

I regard myself as very lucky, anyone of those events could have claimed me, but I have no hatred for the Irish or Muslims for what happened. And as a True Cockney I aint gonna over react to anyone having a joke about a drink either, even if it is in bad taste, which to me it wasnt.

But people should just remember this, when things get bad, like Wartime and Terrorist Attacks, sometimes your only way to keep sane is too make light of things. In London as in many English Cities we use our humour to get through it, so whoever you are, Irish or Muslim, you missed me, nice try but your aim was way off that day, too all you German Bomber Pilots, you might have got our chip shop but you missed my Mum and Dad, they were hiding in the Country when you bombed their house.

I'm OK, so is all of mine, "bigstickbonzo" meant no harm i'm sure so no offence was incured, Knebby reacted because she thought it insensitive, she got an apology so its over, Liz could have handled it better, she could have apoligised and withdrew but she started to try and talk her way out of the hole she made but it just got deeper and deeper. I tried to make some light hearted comment to defuse Knebby and Liz tore in too me, its all in good fun, or so it should be. So people please let lighten up a little, were all friends really, English-Irish-Yanks, sorry I mean Americans, we are all in this together so lets stay friends please.

Regards, Danny

Hi 'longdistancewinner'

For someone so young you have a very old head on your shoulders. (Thats a compliment, by the way)

Look, i've been very quiet about all this, i'm from East London, a Cockney, decended from Irish/Norfolk/Jewish stock, to be sure oi vei begora. I've also witnessed Five Terrorist bombs in London First Hand.

1. Woolwich Pub Bomb, (Kings Arms) Nov 1974, a place I frequented often, I was drinking in nereby Pub, saw the carnage.

2. Greenwich Gas Works, I lived across the River Thames on the Isle of Dogs at the time and I was woken by the explosion 1/4 mile away. 1978.

3. Another one at Woolwich Common, 1/4 mile from where I no live, Old Lady lost a leg and her dog was killed. 1980s

4. Canary Wharf, I was visiting friends, and it was very close, I was knocked over by the blast wave but unhurt. Feb 1996.

5. Tavistock Sq. 7 July 2005. Again I was a few hundred yards away from the bomb, this is the only one that really scared me, a Taxi Driver told me a that dozen Busses had been blown up all over London, I shit it, couldnt phone anyone as the phonelines and mobiles were shut down, I really wanted to be somewhere else that day.

I regard myself as very lucky, anyone of those events could have claimed me, but I have no hatred for the Irish or Muslims for what happened. And as a True Cockney I aint gonna over react to anyone having a joke about a drink either, even if it is in bad taste, which to me it wasnt.

But people should just remember this, when things get bad, like Wartime and Terrorist Attacks, sometimes your only way to keep sane is too make light of things. In London as in many English Cities we use our humour to get through it, so whoever you are, Irish or Muslim, you missed me, nice try but your aim was way off that day, too all you German Bomber Pilots, you might have got our chip shop but you missed my Mum and Dad, they were hiding in the Country when you bombed their house.

Regards, Danny

That's what we say in Nottingham, too. My mum always says things like my grandma waved at a German bomber as he flew over Lenton (inner city Nottingham), or that the Japanese came down our streets.

We're a resilient lot, we are. Humour is not our defence mechanism. It's just how we are. Because if we haven't got humour than what have we got? We've never been a country to sit there and whine about it. If some fucker bombs our town, what do we do? Get on with it. London was chaotic on the 7th July. Normal work resumed on the 8th.

I remember the IRA attacks in the '90's in Manchester, Omagh and Canary Wharf. Wasn't there one in Birmingam, as well? London was always in the news with reports of cars or white vans with bombs in them. And I was so used to hearing of Sinn Féin or Gerry Adams that they actually lost meaning all to me. When the Good Friday agreement happened, I actually thought it would be weird to not hear of them any longer.

And then you hear of the 'Real' IRA (or the Provisional - I forget right now) saying that they're gonna kill every British soldier still in Ireland. Try it, Sunshine. I'll bet it's the last bloody thing they'll do.

Yea, but these raiders were IRISH, they were Raiding England, so why all the anonymousity to the English when the English did it back? IRISH logic I suppose, they like being the "Victims" they get more sympathy that way, just like Knebby said, there was little sympathy for the Victims of the IRA, English/WASPs, around the world, but it seems it was the Irish who started it in the first place.

Regards, Danny

It's a long story about all that, going back a few centuries.

It is partly due to the penal laws.

Also because, during the Industrial Revolution, the English had a policy of importing labor from Scotland and of not hiring the native Irish in the developing industries on an equal basis.

It has been said that England exploited the natural resources of Ireland to its own benefit and to the detriment of the native Irish.

England had more than a policy of merely raiding.

England dominated Ireland to the point where it tried, mainly unsuccessfully, to replace the native Irish rebels with people brought in from other parts of the isles who were more sympathetic with its policies.

Northern Ireland was the exception, where a majority of people there today can trace their ancestry to Scotland or England, unlike the minority, whose ancestors came from Ireland, sometimes from centuries ago.

England's imposition of restrictive laws governing the ownership of real estate led to having too many people farming an ever smaller plot of land, trying to eke out a living. Eventually starvation resulted as the land became exhausted and the potato crop rotted.

As the economy began to fail in a domino effect, a pattern of failure to pay rent, eviction and collapse of trade resulted, leaving even those with comfortable incomes in dire straits. People emigrated in massive numbers, eager to escape the calamity that had occurred and to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

As fate would have it, the good died young, or moved away, and the strong survived, some developing into extremists at opposite ends of the political spectrum, leaving everyone in the present predicament, struggling to find a common ground for agreement, haunted by the ghosts of the past.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ireland

Liverpool, Britain, 1858

Preparing to Leave

I noticed that a lot of our fellow travellers are Irish. They look thin and have few belongings - some look ill. I hope the sick amongst us are separated out but fear we will all be thrown in together.

liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/nof/emigrants

Oh that will discredit your post right off the bat by some here. The messenger of wikipedia will be shot without consideration of the message.

I think it's interesting though. What a bunch of brutes ehh ?

I don't see how pointing out Wikipedia isn't an accurate source to quote is a bad thing. Why post misinformation Joel :rolleyes:

Oh that will discredit your post right off the bat by some here. The messenger of wikipedia will be shot without consideration of the message.

When you say some? :unsure: *

Speaking of people being shot, though . . .

* (Wikipedia can sometimes be right, it's often wrong, how to spot the difference?)

Actually I think the post said how nice people WERE around here, not weren't. And how it was a NICE trait.

Might you have dyslexia? So sorry.

No I'm not dyslexic.

And your post in the other thread I would say was sarcastic given the posts you were responding to Joel.

Your dealing with Yankees mam, a Southern Lady or Gentleman would show more sympathy towards you.

I think the Yankees have shown more sympathy for the IRA than the IRAs victims both in Northern Ireland and England.

Anyone born North of the Mason-Dixon Line is a German or Irish (or both) Sympathiser in my opinion and should not be trusted to be a friend to the English.

Its totaly different in the South, we Engliah have many friends down there, maybe its because many English settled in the South and they still have fond memories of home.

After 9/11 you would think that they would be a bit more understanding wouldnt you?

Darn those Yankeeys. :lol:

Fondest Regards Mam, From a Cockney Gent.

Go fuck yourself.

Its totaly different in the South, we Engliah have many friends down there, maybe its because many English settled in the South and they still have fond memories of home.

There were Irish who emigrated to the southern United States. After the English, the Irish were the second largest group of immigrants during the colonial period, and they comprised about 10% of the population in the first census.

Interestingly, both the English and Irish distilled whisky in Virginia, as apparently the French also did in Kentucky and Virginia. French distillers named their whisky Bourbon.

IRISH EMIGRATION TO NORTH AMERICA

Colonial Period 1603-1790

Irish Background: "Flight of the Earls" 1607; religious strife, Civil War and Cromwellian resettlement; land confiscation, political and economic restrictions on Catholics; famine of 1740-41; changes in the linen industry and financial squeeze on small landholders.

Areas of emigration: mostly from Ulster (mainly Presbyterian) and the north midlands, but some Catholics, Episcopalians, and Dissenters (especially Quakers) from the southern counties, mostly from east and south coasts (Cork, Wicklow & Wexford).

Status of immigrants: Mostly single males and young families. Indentured servants, farmers from moderately prosperous middle-sized farms, craftsmen and tradespeople. From the mid eighteenth century it is almost all a voluntary emigration.

Settlement: West Indies; Pennsylvania and Maryland; the Carolinas and Georgia; central New England and New York state. By the end of the period, Scots-Irish from the interior valley of the Appalachians were moving west into Kentucky and Tennessee.

Total emigration: 400,000 plus. United States population at first census estimated as 5.9% Ulster Irish and 3.6% southern Irish.

mypage.siu.edu/edoday/Emigration

Miller says he's following in his grandfather's Prohibition-era footsteps, but whiskey making in Virginia goes back farther than that. It began about 1620, when colonist George Thorpe figured out he could distill a mash of Indian corn. "Wee have found a waie to make soe good drink of Indian corne I have divers times refused to drinke good stronge English beare and chose to drinke that," he wrote to his cousin in England, John Smith of Nibley.

Thorpe came to the Old Dominion as a preacher, physician, and surgeon to take charge of the 10,000 acres and 100 indentured servants owned by the newly chartered College at Henricus, near the confluence of the Appomattox and James Rivers. How he came about his distilling skills is something of a mystery. He was an Englishman with no discernible link to whiskey's originators—the Irish and the Scots. The son of landed gentry, he studied at Cambridge and was a member of Parliament and the Privy Council.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In 1797, Washington started at Mount Vernon what would quickly become the largest commercial distillery in Virginia. The credit goes to Washington's overseer, James Anderson. Anderson had more than a nodding acquaintance with whiskey from his Scotch-Irish heritage, and it was he who proposed a Mount Vernon distillery. At first, Anderson used wheat, but he soon settled on a recipe of about two-thirds rye, one-third corn, plus a little barley. He began with two stills and produced eighty gallons in February 1797. By June, Washington was persuaded to expand. He would construct a stone building next to his mill. "Distillery is a business I am entirely unacquainted with," wrote the former president to his overseer, "but from your knowledge of it and from the confidence you have in the profit to be derived from the establishment, I am disposed to enter upon one."

The stone distillery had five stills and a boiler. Anderson's son John became the chief distiller and six slaves—Hanson, Peter, Nat, Daniel, James, and Timothy—helped. The next year they made 11,000 gallons of whiskey for a profit of $7,500—a huge sum in those days. Washington grew his own rye and corn, and manufactured his own barrels. The waste mash fattened his hogs and cattle.

Washington died late in 1799, and the distillery passed to his nephew, who operated it for years. After 1808, written records fall silent. In 2006, Mount Vernon excavated the site and reconstructed the distillery atop the original foundations. It is the only eighteenth-century working distillery in the country.

history.org/Foundation/journal/Summer08/whiskey

Kentucky was originally part of Virginia until it was named the 15th state in the union in 1792. At the time the Governor of Virginia was Thomas Jefferson and in efforts to expand into unknown territories and to keep Irish-Scottish immigrants happy after the Whisky Rebellion he offered 60 acres of land in Kentucky if a permanent structure was built and native corn was grown. 60 acres of corn was more than a family could ever consume and much of it perished. However, bourbon could be made with the excess corn and that prevented the loss of perished crops.

Bourbon received its name due to two circumstances. The state of Virginia had a large amount of French immigrants. Once Virginia and Kentucky became two different states the first Kentucky county took the name of the French royal family, Bourbon. Among the settlers of Bourbon County, KY, Reverend Elijah Craig produced whisky and sent it to New Orleans. Legend has it that Elijah experienced a fire while making his whisky. Once the fire was extinguished all the barrels were left charred. Elijah was a frugal man and decided to use the charred barrels. Corn based whisky was clear when produced. Elijah sent his first batch of clear whisky in charred barrels to New Orleans and to the recipients surprise the clear liquid had a light caramel color and vanilla flavoring. Elijah named his new whisky, bourbon and the people loved it!

bourbontrailtours.com/History

Archived