Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JimmyPageZoSo56

Wow. A few friendly people started this thread just to wish everyone - EVERYONE - a "Happy St Patrick's Day," and look at the ugliness that ensues. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the shit-stirrers are all English. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with anti-Irish bias - that's all in the past, assuredly.

It's ignorant and insensitive to name a drink after a car bomb, or a terrorist group, but I suppose you could say the same about naming a drink after the Kamikaze bombers. It's about what one would expect from people slugging down massive amounts of alcohol -- stupid and distasteful, but hardly significant. Making sweeping generalisations about dense Americans who "sympathise" with the I.R.A. moreso than their victims, that's actually more offensive than what a bunch of yahoos in a bar call their drinks.

Wow. A few friendly people started this thread just to wish everyone - EVERYONE - a "Happy St Patrick's Day," and look at the ugliness that ensues. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the shit-stirrers are all English. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with anti-Irish bias - that's all in the past, assuredly.

It's ignorant and insensitive to name a drink after a car bomb, or a terrorist group, but I suppose you could say the same about naming a drink after the Kamikaze bombers. It's about what one would expect from people slugging down massive amounts of alcohol -- stupid and distasteful, but hardly significant. Making sweeping generalisations about dense Americans who "sympathise" with the I.R.A. moreso than their victims, that's actually more offensive than what a bunch of yahoos in a bar call their drinks.

Not to condone the shit-stirring, but - and I say this as respectfully as I can - it could be forgiven if the older generation of English forum members here (as opposed to the teens and 20somethings) were/are still slightly 'anti-Irish'. Surely, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that those that lived through the Troubles in the '60's/'70's/'80's could have a slightly more hostile view of the 'Irish', than, say, someone like me who grew up with the Troubles in the late '80's and '90's? I'd like to think that people have put it behind them, but, I wouldn't hold it against them if they should feel that way. It doesn't make them bad people, either.

I'd also like to point out that the only anti-Irish comments that have been made have been, incidentally, about the IRA - not the country or the people. And it's not in the past. That's why two dissident IRA group's killed two British (both of whom were English) soldiers and one NI police officer just a little over two weeks ago. And that's why one of the said groups promised to continue killing British soldiers until they all left NI. I am of Irish descent, and I've been to the country many times and love it, but not looking too fondly on the IRA doesn't make me anti-Irish. Nor would anyone else who should feel the same. After all, the IRA didn't and doesn't represent the Irish people.

And I hope you weren't implying that I was a 'shit-stirrer' simply because I'm English? :unsure:

I like you, longdistance. I was simply pointing out the obvious, that this started out as a very friendly, light-hearted thread. No one intended offense. Then some people come in with a condescending attitude and start questioning and insulting people. No good deed goes unpunished I guess! For fuck's sake, we better watch out if anyone dares come on this Forum a few weeks from now and tries to wish anyone a happy Easter!

Not worth a response except to point out I AM HALF IRISH . Fuck this.

*Putting back my original post so that I won't be accused of anything*

Jesus Christ. I'll certainly never look at your posts in the same way again.

Incidentally - I'm half Irish, and I REALLY resent your bullshit post.

Recent events in Ireland have made people more sensitive than they perhaps would usually be. I try to be a little cautious about what I say and how I say it.

It's not just the recent events that make it a sensitive issue, Honey. It is events most of us have lived with all of our lives. Strangely though, it seems you're not allowed to be offended if you are English. You're just supposed to accept that reference to "Irish car bombs" is "hardly significant"

What a disgusting insult to the people who lived in fear here for so many years, and those who lost their lives.

I like you, longdistance. I was simply pointing out the obvious, that this started out as a very friendly, light-hearted thread. No one intended offense. Then some people come in with a condescending attitude and start questioning and insulting people. No good deed goes unpunished I guess! For fuck's sake, we better watch out if anyone dares come on this Forum a few weeks from now and tries to wish anyone a happy Easter!

I appreciate that, you had me worried there for a second.

Jesus Christ. I'll certainly never look at your posts in the same way again.

Incidentally - I'm half Irish, and I REALLY resent your bullshit post.

It's mutual, believe me. But then what do I know, I'm an ignorant "Yank" who sympathises with the IRA.

I never EVER said anything about ignorant Yanks sympathising with the IRA so don't bloody well try to put those words in my mouth.

No your right Knebby, that was me, i'll take the can for that, done it as a joke, to bring some humour to the disscusion and to help quieten down some of the antagonists, didnt work though did it?

Oh well what do you expext from a bunch of "Scalpers"? :poke::lol::black_eye::running:

Regards, Danny

It's not just the recent events that make it a sensitive issue, Honey. It is events most of us have lived with all of our lives. Strangely though, it seems you're not allowed to be offended if you are English. You're just supposed to accept that reference to "Irish car bombs" is "hardly significant"

What a disgusting insult to the people who lived in fear here for so many years, and those who lost their lives.

You are correct, except that you are allowed to be offended if you are English.

Recalling the 60s though, I almost never even talked about this issue because the situation had become so extreme.

I try to understand that not everyone lived through those times or remembers the news reports in those days. They don't realize the severity.

Some people are from other parts of the world or they are too young to remember the arguments between Ian Paisley and Bernadette Devlin, and so on.

You are correct, except that you are allowed to be offended if you are English.

Recalling the 60s though, I almost never even talked about this issue because the situation had become so extreme.

I try to understand that not everyone lived through those times or remembers the news reports in those days. They don't realize the severity.

Some people are from other parts of the world or they are too young to remember the arguments between Ian Paisley and Bernadette Devlin, and so on.

Honey, I don't often say this to you, but credit where its due - thanks.

Dan I don't agree with your anti-US comments and never have. I appreciate you stepping in to accept responsibility for your words, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Knebby, it was just some fun on my part, i aint anti-US, anti-Yankee maybe :wub: er no not really, and definitely not anti-Irish.

Its just that some people are very easy to wind up, they cant take a joke, everything has to be oh so serious, and you know thats not me, i'm always the joker.

Any one who dislikes what i say has every right too either PM me with their disgust or too do it here on the forum, i have no problem with that, my shoulders are HUGH enough to carry any retort from any that wish too do so.

Too all you Paddys, Yanks and Brits. :beer: Cheers, I'll not join you as i'm a teatotaler and English, which means you are all too far beneath me to raise a glass with, and for all of you that dont drink but do like a "Puff" you can stick it in your pipe and smoke it.

Regards, Danny

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the shit-stirrers are all English.

In all fairness, I started the mudslinging, inadvertantly assuming a poorly named drink was universally known throughtout the world, thus showing ignorance towards the IRA's past with Britain.

Knebby, it was just some fun on my part, i aint anti-US, anti-Yankee maybe :wub: er no not really, and definitely not anti-Irish.

Its just that some people are very easy to wind up, they cant take a joke, everything has to be oh so serious, and you know thats not me, i'm always the joker.

I might be anti-Yankee myself, but when you live less than 70 miles from New York, you're allowed to be. Living on the other side of the pond, I think you better know what you're talking about first. Generalizations don't work too well from either side.

Mind you, a joker is funny. Had you chosen a different time and possibly a different thread to post what you did, you might have caused a bowel movement at best. The fact you posted what you did after everything that had been said regarding the IRA and poorly named drinks shows you're not a joker, rather a fool and the joke is on you.

Regards, BIGSTICK in your ass.

In all fairness, I started the mudslinging, inadvertantly assuming a poorly named drink was universally known throughtout the world, thus showing ignorance towards the IRA's past with Britain.

To be fair, you apologised and didn't actually have to. You weren't to know that we were completely unaware (or, at least, I was) of the drink - so, you're no more ignorant than I am. You apologised very well and you're respected because of that.

It's a touchy subject, but it doesn't necessarily make you (or anyone else) an ignorant person if you don't understand or appreciate the scale of it. I think, to really appreciate what it was like, you would've had to have lived in England during it. Obviously, if you didn't, you couldn't know what it was like. Just like I wouldn't know what it was like to live in a town that suffered a hit. I'm not from Manchester, Birmingham, London, Brighton, or any of the other towns. I'm from Nottingham - and we still lived in just as much fear. Sometimes wondering when we we were gonna be targeted was just as much a torture in its own right.

I might be anti-Yankee myself, but when you live less than 70 miles from New York, you're allowed to be. Living on the other side of the pond, I think you better know what you're talking about first. Generalizations don't work too well from either side.

Mind you, a joker is funny. Had you chosen a different time and possibly a different thread to post what you did, you might have caused a bowel movement at best. The fact you posted what you did after everything that had been said regarding the IRA and poorly named drinks shows you're not a joker, rather a fool and the joke is on you.

Regards, BIGSTICK in your ass.

Hi Bonzo

Your apology is greatfully accepted, as for being anti-yankee, i'm not, the one thing that seems to get right up your nose is that my humour goes right over your head and you appear the fool for not getting any jokes that i might or might not have posted.

I'll tell you as i have told your witless friends, if you dont like what i say then PM me or come back at me in an interesting way, not the "Go Fuck Yourself" or "Nut Sack" as you usually do.

"Your IQ is not as big as your shoe size in my opinion." (See, thats humour, you getting it or do you wanna quit while i'm only miles ahead, see thats humour too.)

As for me not knowing what i'm talking about, get this, Robert E Lee said to his army after Gettysburg not to pillage the northern towns as they were still part of his country, whereas General Sherman, "Marched through Georgia" and tore the place up quite a bit. Bet the Southerners loved that from a good old Yankee. Then Sherman, on Grants orders , was told too get rid of the "Indian Problem" in the same way, and he enthusiasticly oblijed. Not my opinion, just History.

How we doing?

So i'm a fool as far as your concerned and not a joker, well you have your right of opinion, thats OK with me, i can be a fool just as well as being a joker.

"The IRA and poorly name drinks", man i took it for what it was, lighthearted banter, but some people took offence, and others could not wipe their face and apologise (not you by the way) it led to me trying to lighten up the debate, if my lighthearted "Joke" was not funny to you or any other "Yankee" i apoligise, nothing malicious was intended, as you would have seen if you had correctly read my post and had seen the " :lol: " at the end of it.

Now we can either both apologise too each other (which i do now, sorry bigstick bonzo) shake hands and start afresh or its war and i'm comming over on the next ferry, i'll gather my friends in the south, plant my standard at Manassa and invade Maryland, just joking.

Stay cool man, Regards, Danny

A 9-11 cocktail consists of a shot of Jack Daniels, Jagermeister, and Southern Comfort. A Pearl Harbor cocktail consists of vodka and melon liqueur.....and as an American I'd be happy to drink either, as long as you are buying.

In case you need some more clarification, political correctness does not apply to alcohol or comedians......especially on the Internet.

A 9-11 cocktail consists of a shot of Jack Daniels, Jagermeister, and Southern Comfort. A Pearl Harbor cocktail consists of vodka and melon liqueur.....and as an American I'd be happy to drink either, as long as you are buying.

In case you need some more clarification, political correctness does not apply to alcohol or comedians......especially on the Internet.

I suppose time has a way of calming fear. Especially when a second attack on your home soil has not happened as of yet and, hopefully never will. There won't be many 911 jokes floating around if it does. <_<

I suppose time has a way of calming fear. Especially when a second attack on your home soil has not happened as of yet and, hopefully never will. There won't be many 911 jokes floating around if it does. <_<

Q: What color were Mohammed Atta's eyes?

A: Blue. One blue this way, the other blue that way!

"Political Corectness" is refusing to sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" or wish people a Merry Christmas.

It is NOT "Political Corectness" to find death and terror completely unamusing - except perhaps on Planet Bong-Man.

"Political Corectness" is refusing to sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" or wish people a Merry Christmas.

It is NOT "Political Corectness" to find death and terror completely unamusing - except perhaps on Planet Bong-Man.

It sounds like you could use a Katrina cocktail.....

That's grenadine, orange juice, pineapple juice, and some Bacardi 151 rum. You can get one of those on Bourbon St. by the way.

Archived