Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JimmyPageZoSo56

I'm half-Irish myself, and I might have a Guinness or two, even though I'm on medication at the moment where I am supposed to refrain from alcohol and drugs.

Definitely will play some Pogues, My Bloody Valentine, Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, Van Morrison, Stiff Little Fingers...maybe even some Clannad and U2.

But I WILL NOT be eating any corned beef and cabbage...blecch! Pastrami-yes...corned beef-no.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Please don't vomit on my shoes.

Me thinks that all you who are 1/2 Irish are just using it as an excuse for a P*** up.... :lol:

My English slang is rusty...are you saying "Piss up"?

It's a measure of how far St. Patrick's Day has broadened from an Irish holiday into the drunken free-for-all it is today when you consider that Robert Plant makes nary a mention of Saint Patrick's Day during Led Zeppelin's March 17, 1975 Seattle concert. Contrast that with how he mentioned Valentine's Day all thru the Feb. 14, 1975 concert just a month earlier.

My English slang is rusty...are you saying "Piss up"?

It's a measure of how far St. Patrick's Day has broadened from an Irish holiday into the drunken free-for-all it is today when you consider that Robert Plant makes nary a mention of Saint Patrick's Day during Led Zeppelin's March 17, 1975 Seattle concert. Contrast that with how he mentioned Valentine's Day all thru the Feb. 14, 1975 concert just a month earlier.

That is what i'm saying... ;)

The only Saints day in the British Isles that does not seem to end up as a piss-up is 'St Davids' which was on the 1st March...

'St Days' were fairly quite affairs, only really celebrated by the actual race...( Paddys day now far exceeds any other 'Saints Day')

Unlike Valentines Day that is Universal, maybe that would explain no mention of Paddys day...

It's not even 5pm in the afternoon and some drunk bimbo is hurling her guts out in front of me on the sidewalk of Hollywood Blvd. Stay classy, L.A.

Oh man, that's rough.

After this small army of teenagers evacuates my property, I am cracking a Guinness.

:)

Top o' the morning to you all. Happy Saint Patrick's Day. Don't forget your green.

I will be celebrating by have a traditional......um....chinese dinner with friends. I actually made these plans before I realized that today was St. Pats Day. Will be having our corn beef and cabbage tomarrow.

Nice! I also had the "tradional" Chinese dinner tonight :) It was delightful!!

Hope you enjoyed yours

We were in Chicago where everyone is suddenly Irish for the day and drunk by 11:00 a.m. Not an exaggeration. We missed the parade since it was our leaving day and had to make our way to Ohare by noon. But we did have time to witness the "greening" of the river.

post-17244-0-51022600-1332363355.jpg

• 1 year later...

St. Patrick's Day is a humorous anniversary for me.

Yesterday marks 22 years since the last time I got into a fight. LOL

1992 on the Riverwalk here.

Huge outdoor celebration, a local band playing on a temporary stage.

They were doing a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit, and a mosh pit erupted in front of me.

I had a Budweiser in each hand (2-fisting) and had a nice celebratory buzz going.

Now, I understand being near a pit exposes you to potentially rough physical contact, and I'm OK with that.

But out of nowhere, this rather large fellow turns towards me and kicks me real high on my right thigh, basically just missing my junk (which I strongly suspect was his intent).

Naturally, my immediate response was punching him, and he turned out to be a grappler, so it quickly devolved into a wrestling-type deal with people pulling each of us apart.

Unbeknownst to those attempting to separate us, urging me to stop, this clown was biting me on the back, locked onto me like a bulldog.

Fortunately, he was biting me through a heavy denim jacket, so it didn't break the skin, although it became a grisly circular bruise.

Anyway, once separated, he and his crew of about 5 or 6 companions moved over in the crowd and kept an eye on me for the next 5 minutes or so.

I stayed where I was and made a point of not looking directly at them, but watching periodically in my peripheral vision.

After a couple songs, they had pretty much forgotten about me, and were back to headbanging and pushing and whatnot.

I took that opportunity to slice through the 25 feet or so of crowd and delivered a beautiful overhand right to the side of his face, dropping him like a sack of potatoes.

He wasn't unconscious, but I rocked him good.

I turned and left them to go sit on a bench beyond the crowd to rest.

Then he and his crew were walking towards me, so I stood up, but he assured me he was done, and just wanted to acknowledge that he was through with it and wanted to shake hands.

I declined, not trusting them to be sincere, and just acknowledged that I, too, was through with it, and they went on their way.

A girl friend (though not girlfriend, unfortunately) came and sat with me for a while until I decided to leave, and that was it.

So yesterday, I was reminded once more of my final physical altercation, back when I was a strapping young lad of 31, LOL.

Archived