Happy St. Patrick's Day!

JimmyPageZoSo56

St. Patrick's Day is a humorous anniversary for me.

Yesterday marks 22 years since the last time I got into a fight. LOL

1992 on the Riverwalk here.

Huge outdoor celebration, a local band playing on a temporary stage.

They were doing a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit, and a mosh pit erupted in front of me.

I had a Budweiser in each hand (2-fisting) and had a nice celebratory buzz going.

Now, I understand being near a pit exposes you to potentially rough physical contact, and I'm OK with that.

But out of nowhere, this rather large fellow turns towards me and kicks me real high on my right thigh, basically just missing my junk (which I strongly suspect was his intent).

Naturally, my immediate response was punching him, and he turned out to be a grappler, so it quickly devolved into a wrestling-type deal with people pulling each of us apart.

Unbeknownst to those attempting to separate us, urging me to stop, this clown was biting me on the back, locked onto me like a bulldog.

Fortunately, he was biting me through a heavy denim jacket, so it didn't break the skin, although it became a grisly circular bruise.

Anyway, once separated, he and his crew of about 5 or 6 companions moved over in the crowd and kept an eye on me for the next 5 minutes or so.

I stayed where I was and made a point of not looking directly at them, but watching periodically in my peripheral vision.

After a couple songs, they had pretty much forgotten about me, and were back to headbanging and pushing and whatnot.

I took that opportunity to slice through the 25 feet or so of crowd and delivered a beautiful overhand right to the side of his face, dropping him like a sack of potatoes.

He wasn't unconscious, but I rocked him good.

I turned and left them to go sit on a bench beyond the crowd to rest.

Then he and his crew were walking towards me, so I stood up, but he assured me he was done, and just wanted to acknowledge that he was through with it and wanted to shake hands.

I declined, not trusting them to be sincere, and just acknowledged that I, too, was through with it, and they went on their way.

A girl friend (though not girlfriend, unfortunately) came and sat with me for a while until I decided to leave, and that was it.

So yesterday, I was reminded once more of my final physical altercation, back when I was a strapping young lad of 31, LOL.

That's funny, I was about to write about how this was the 22nd anniversary of the last time I bit a guy on the back in a mosh pit!

• 2 years later...

The vinyl set that I got today also contains a blistering live performance from Robert Plant in 1988 doing "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Tall Cool One", just blistering. Happy St. Patrick's Day weekend.

Archived