Mick Taylor

kakdaddy

There have been many Stones threads on this site & amongst the serious Stones fans here, Mick Taylors' name will always come up. I think most would agree that his tenure in the band was their zenith, not just because of the great songs they were writing but also because of Taylors' contributions that are obvious as far his superb guitar playing & not so obvious as his contribution to writing (parts of) songs that he was not given a credit for.

Mick Taylor could play beautiful blues on such tracks as the live version of "Love In Vain" & dual with Keith on the live "Sympathy For The Devil" both from "Ya Ya's", could come up with the dreamy string arrangement to "Moonlight Mile", go off on funk tirades on "Heartbreaker" & "Fingerprint File", make "Time Waits For No One" a Zep/Queen worthy guitar ballad epic, & take a toss away piano jam like "Hide Your Love" burn. Only Stones fans really know what this great musician contributed to the their catalogue & to a smaller degree popular rock music in general. A real oversight & pity.

To rectify that slight my fellow Mick Taylor fans, here's a thread for you to spread the love on why you love Mick Taylor. I always come back to a Stones song I haven't heard for awhile from the Taylor era & inevitabley always find something new that I've missed on my many hearings & just want to rant about how amazing he is. For example I didn't know that was Taylor playing that amazing bass line on "Tumbling Dice" until recently, it's so melodic & bouncy yet still full of dirt. It's all I can hear in the song now every time I listen to it.

For those in the know, if you could recommend any of his work with Mayall, Jack Bruce, Bob Dylan, & solo work feel more than welcome because I don't know any of it & I want to track down as much as possible.

Also I just want to thank Rock Action for inspiring this rant from a previous thread about underrated musicians. He likes a quite a few & they're all great. His screen name is no coincidence.

Edited by kakdaddy

Couple years ago a friend told me a friend of his went to get Mick's autograph when he was performing at a club here. When he got there and asked if Mick was around he was told he was in a van behing the club asleep. He had to wait until he crawled out of the van to get his graph. That's a long way from his days with the Stones. Sad.

Couple years ago a friend told me a friend of his went to get Mick's autograph when he was performing at a club here. When he got there and asked if Mick was around he was told he was in a van behing the club asleep. He had to wait until he crawled out of the van to get his graph. That's a long way from his days with the Stones. Sad.

I think he was passed out in the back of vans during his time in the Stones too. However Keith was passed out on the private jet.

For those in the know, if you could recommend any of his work with Mayall, Jack Bruce, Bob Dylan, & solo work feel more than welcome because I don't know any of it & I want to track down as much as possible.

Ok, here are some of my favorite non-Stones songs featuring outstanding Mick T guitar work:

The Bear (Mayall - Blues from Laurel Canyon)

Fly Tomorrow (Mayall - Blues from Laurel Canyon)

Start Walking (Mayall - Primal Solos)

Smiles & Grins (Bruce - Spirit Live at BBC)

Also try to find any live Mayall boots from 67 - early 69. Pretty hard to follow Clapton and Green in that band but MT sure got the job done.

Ok, here are some of my favorite non-Stones songs featuring outstanding Mick T guitar work:

The Bear (Mayall - Blues from Laurel Canyon)

Fly Tomorrow (Mayall - Blues from Laurel Canyon)

Start Walking (Mayall - Primal Solos)

Smiles & Grins (Bruce - Spirit Live at BBC)

Also try to find any live Mayall boots from 67 - early 69. Pretty hard to follow Clapton and Green in that band but MT sure got the job done.

Thanks! I've just been looking for stuff on youtube. Just watched Taylor with Dylan doing "Blind Willie McTell".

There have been many Stones threads on this site & amongst the serious Stones fans here, Mick Taylors' name will always come up. I think most would agree that his tenure in the band was their zenith, not just because of the great songs they were writing but also because of Taylors' contributions that are obvious as far his superb guitar playing & not so obvious as his contribution to writing (parts of) songs that he was not given a credit for.

Mick Taylor could play beautiful blues on such tracks as the live version of "Love In Vain" & dual with Keith on the live "Sympathy For The Devil" both from "Ya Ya's", could come up with the dreamy string arrangement to "Moonlight Mile", go off on funk tirades on "Heartbreaker" & "Fingerprint File", make "Time Waits For No One" a Zep/Queen worthy guitar ballad epic, & take a toss away piano jam like "Hide Your Love" burn. Only Stones fans really know what this great musician contributed to the their catalogue & to a smaller degree popular rock music in general. A real oversight & pity.

To rectify that slight my fellow Mick Taylor fans, here's a thread for you to spread the love on why you love Mick Taylor. I always come back to a Stones song I haven't heard for awhile from the Taylor era & inevitabley always find something new that I've missed on my many hearings & just want to rant about how amazing he is. For example I didn't know that was Taylor playing that amazing bass line on "Tumbling Dice" until recently, it's so melodic & bouncy yet still full of dirt. It's all I can hear in the song now every time I listen to it.

Also I just want to thank Rock Action for inspiring this rant from a previous thread about underrated musicians. He likes a quite a few & they're all great. His screen name is no coincidence.

How's it going "kakdaddy" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? This is a great thread. When Mick Taylor replaced the late Brian Jones as THE ROLLING STONES' new guitarist in July 1969, many music critics, including myself, were wondering if Taylor could hold his own by trading guitar riffs and licks with Keith Richards. As Rock n' Roll history and fate would have it, in my opinion, Mick Taylor gave the greatest contribution to THE ROLLING STONES by giving the band their best sound ever. Taylor's Hard Rock Blues guitar sound would make THE STONES' 1969 Tour one of the greatest tours in all of Rock n' Roll history. Taylor's guitar arrangements and contributions on the songs "Heartbreaker," "Time Waits For No One," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and the blistering live version of "Midnight Rambler" to name a few, proved that Taylor could kick ass on guitar and hold his own. In reality, THE ROLLING STONES brought out the very best in Mick Taylor. Then it dawned on me, if you read my FLEETWOOD MAC THREAD, PETER GREEN was solely responsible for influencing fellow guitar greats such as Danny Kirwan, Mick Taylor and Carlos Santana. PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC from the 1967-1970 period produced some of the greatest Hard Rock Blues music that you have ever heard in your life. If you ever get a chance, buy the 2-CD set entitled "A HARD ROAD" by JOHN MAYALL AND THE BLUESBREAKERS. ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Go on youtube and you will see film of him playing with Jimi Hendrix in 1969. Unfortunately there is no sound. But still great footage.

Yeah, I saw that awhile back on youtube & it was exciting to see even if there is no audio. There's a great picture Jim Marshall took of Taylor & Hendrix from that same night jamming with the two of them just intently playing oblivious to the circus atmosphere around them.

In reality, THE ROLLING STONES brought out the very best in Mick Taylor. Then it dawned on me, if you read my FLEETWOOD MAC THREAD, PETER GREEN was solely responsible for influencing fellow guitar greats such as Danny Kirwan, Mick Taylor and Carlos Santana. PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC from the 1967-1970 period produced some of the greatest Hard Rock Blues music that you have ever heard in your life. If you ever get a chance, buy the 2-CD set entitled "A HARD ROAD" by JOHN MAYALL AND THE BLUESBREAKERS. ROCK ON!

Yeah, I was looking through your Fleetwood Mac thread & I've never really listened to Peter Green even though I know how revered he is. It's only recently that I even owned Mayall's "Bluesbreakers" album in full, which I can't stop listening to, which has almost ruined the rest of Clapton's work for me because that's how good his playing on is that album. Even better than his work with Cream.

As far as Peter Green I've heard a few things, the popular stuff like "Albatross", Oh, Well", & "Black Magic Woman" & can definately hear where Taylor, Santana, Page, & even Clapton had to be influenced by his work at the time.

• 6 months later...

How's it going "kakdaddy?" I hope that everything is ok with you. I am a HUGE Mick Taylor fan. I love his guitar solo in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." In my opinion, The Mick Taylor years were some of the greatest years throughout the whole history of THE ROLLING STONES. Mick Taylor gave THE STONES a whole new sound when he joined THE STONES in 1969 in place of the late Brian Jones. Mick Taylor was a hard core PETER GREEN disciple and brought Green's guitar playing style into THE STONES. Now I'm ramblin', you take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

LATE EDIT: I just realized that I already commented here, please forgive me. ROCK ON FOREVER!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

How's it going "kakdaddy?" I hope that everything is ok with you. I am a HUGE Mick Taylor fan. I love his guitar solo in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." In my opinion, The Mick Taylor years were some of the greatest years throughout the whole history of THE ROLLING STONES. Mick Taylor gave THE STONES a whole new sound when he joined THE STONES in 1969 in place of the late Brian Jones. Mick Taylor was a hard core PETER GREEN disciple and brought Green's guitar playing style into THE STONES. Now I'm ramblin', you take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

LATE EDIT: I just realized that I already commented here, please forgive me. ROCK ON FOREVER!

"Can't You Here Me Knocking" is one of my favorites. A Keith riff followed by one of Mick T's best studio solo's.

I just read that not that long ago that it looked like Mick Taylor was considering sueing the Stones as he hasn't been paid a royalty from them since 1982 just on a recording basis & that also pissed him off even more about the lack of songwritting credits for the songs he wrote with Jagger that Richards had no involvement in. It's about time.

"Can't You Here Me Knocking" is one of my favorites. A Keith riff followed by one of Mick T's best studio solo's.

I just read that not that long ago that it looked like Mick Taylor was considering sueing the Stones as he hasn't been paid a royalty from them since 1982 just on a recording basis & that also pissed him off even more about the lack of songwritting credits for the songs he wrote with Jagger that Richards had no involvement in. It's about time.

Hey "kakdaddy!" I didn't know anything about this! Thanks for filling me in. If this is all true, without a doubt, Mick Taylor is entitled to his payback royalties as well as his songwriting credits that he so truly deserves and not give Keith Richards the undeserved credit. In a way, now I can see why Mick Taylor left THE STONES (Please don't get me wrong, I love THE STONES!) on that fatefull day in December 1974. Thanks for the info and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

Just for general information, they're going to release a 40th anniversary set of Get Your Ya-Ya's out this month. I'm not sure I need to hear the opening acts though, which are included. I'd much rather have the entire show...for that matter I'd like the Leeds Guitars bootleg finally released legitimately.

I wish for a lot :D

http://www.amazon.com/Ya-Yas-Rolling-Stones-Concert-Anniversary/dp/B002NOAF9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1254604126&sr=1-1

Just for general information, they're going to release a 40th anniversary set of Get Your Ya-Ya's out this month. I'm not sure I need to hear the opening acts though, which are included. I'd much rather have the entire show...for that matter I'd like the Leeds Guitars bootleg finally released legitimately.

I wish for a lot :D

http://www.amazon.com/Ya-Yas-Rolling-Stones-Concert-Anniversary/dp/B002NOAF9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1254604126&sr=1-1

Already got the "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" on pre-order at Amazon when it comes out. Also a deluxe edition of "Exile On Main Street" is coming out with a bonus disc of demos,rarities, & unreleased songs, all Mick Taylor era.

The "Leeds" bootleg is awesome! Got that in late August, fantastic. "Stray Cat Blues" kills the version on "Ya Ya's" courtesy of Taylor & other favorites are "Dead Flowers" & "Let It Rock" from that show. I combined that show with some of my favorite live "Exile" tracks from Perth Australia 73'.

Edited by kakdaddy

Thank You Soooooo much for this great thread. I am a HUGE Taylor Fanatic. Without reading the other posts, i must say that Mick kept this band alive while Keith was in his heroin dive. In fact, Mick was the driving force within the most creative and productive period in the Stones glorious history.

No Mick, No Stones. Period!

Mick Taylor is one of my favorite guitar players ever and that will never change.

Edited by Zepaholic

Already got the "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" on pre-order at Amazon when it comes out. Also a deluxe edition of "Exile On Main Street" is coming out with a bonus disc of demos,rarities, & unreleased songs, all Mick Taylor era.

The "Leeds" bootleg is awesome! Got that in late August, fantastic. "Stray Cat Blues" kills the version on "Ya Ya's" courtesy of Taylor & other favorites are "Dead Flowers" & "Let It Rock" from that show. I combined that show with some of my favorite live "Exile" tracks from Perth Australia 73'.

What's happening "kakdaddy?" I also pre-ordered the GET YER YA YA'S OUT 3-CD/1 DVD Boxset on Amazon for $47.99. This Boxset is supposed to be released on 3 November 2009. I CAN'T WAIT!

I own SO MANY ROLLING STONES bootlegs that I wouldn't even know where to begin. I also own the LEED GUITARS...T.V. STARS that was recorded at Leeds University on 13 March 1971. I also own the EXILES AFTERNOON REVISITED which was recorded in Perth, Australia on 24 February 1973. These are both great shows. Also, the FT. WORTH EXPRESS, that was recorded at the Tarrant County Convention Center in Ft. Worth, Texas on 24 June 1972 (2nd Show), was an excellent show. THE ROLLING STONES LIVE IN BRUSSELS 1973 which was recorded on 17 October 1973 (1st Show), is also one hell of a show. Hell, all of these shows were outstanding!

Now you've got me going in talking about THE STONES! I have seen THE STONES live on every single tour since 1981. How bout you? Now I'm really ramblin' on, you take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

I'd definately agree with ZepFan, 72-73 Stones live recordings(and there are a good number of SB's out there) are a goldmine if your a Taylor fan. Yeah he was good on Ya Ya's but he was incredable by that time when he'd really grown into the band and had more room to solo.

Edited by greenman

Thank You Soooooo much for this great thread. I am a HUGE Taylor Fanatic. Without reading the other posts, i must say that Mick kept this band alive while Keith was in his heroin dive. In fact, Mick was the driving force within the most creative and productive period in the Stones glorious history.

No Mick, No Stones. Period!

Mick Taylor is one of my favorite guitar players ever and that will never change.

You're welcome. ZepFanForever resurrected it though, I forgot all about it. So you both can ROCK O... oh, you know what to do.

You're welcome. ZepFanForever resurrected it though, I forgot all about it. So you both can ROCK O... oh, you know what to do.

How's it going "kakdaddy?" Oh gosh darn, now you're making me blush!! This is a great thread "kakdaddy," I'm really surprised that it just disappeared like it did. But fear not, it just made a comeback. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Maybe the expanded Exile on Main Street will show the Stones that they need to open up the vaults and put forth more music from the Taylor era. There's no doubt in my mind they were at their very best back then. Hell it's not even close actually.

Hope springs eternal.....

Regards;

Maybe the expanded Exile on Main Street will show the Stones that they need to open up the vaults and put forth more music from the Taylor era. There's no doubt in my mind they were at their very best back then. Hell it's not even close actually.

Hope springs eternal.....

Regards;

What's up "dazedcat?" I totally agree with you, the Taylor years were the greatest years for THE STONES. I mean no disrespect to the late great Brian Jones, his musical contributions to THE STONES cannot be denied either. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Where has anyone seen that Exile will be expanded? I can't find any reference to that anywhere. :unsure:

The Taylor years were the Stones' best, hands down. Listen to Mick rip away on Gimme Shelter from Philly 7-21-72, or Midnight Rambler from 10-17-73. Sheeeeeit!!