Mick Taylor

kakdaddy

Where has anyone seen that Exile will be expanded? I can't find any reference to that anywhere. :unsure:

The Taylor years were the Stones' best, hands down. Listen to Mick rip away on Gimme Shelter from Philly 7-21-72, or Midnight Rambler from 10-17-73. Sheeeeeit!!

Hey "Rock Action!" How's it going? I hope all is well with you. I HAVE BOTH OF THESE SHOWS! Mick Taylor kicked ass on "Gimme Shelter," he gave the song a more Hard Rock Blues sound. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Yes, those were good ones.

Hi "eternal light!" I hope all is well with you and your family. I have a great bootleg of LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, THE ROLLING STONES from 1974 with outstanding picture and sound quality on DVD. These are shows from Texas and feature Mick Taylor at his absolute best. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Where has anyone seen that Exile will be expanded? I can't find any reference to that anywhere. unsure.gif

The Taylor years were the Stones' best, hands down. Listen to Mick rip away on Gimme Shelter from Philly 7-21-72, or Midnight Rambler from 10-17-73. Sheeeeeit!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0OhMLT_D5Lk

Brussels 10-17-73

Edited by eternal light

Where has anyone seen that Exile will be expanded? I can't find any reference to that anywhere. :unsure:

Keith talked about the expanded "Exile" in Rolling Stone about 2 months ago as he is also working with Jack White on something. It's either from late July or early August the short interview.

Just was watching the Stones on an expanded bootleg DVD of "Cocksucker Blues" from the Saville Theatre pro shot 1970. Great stuff! I know that won't be on the "Ya Ya's" expansion but I hope that the Saville clips or "Ladies & Gentlemen" or the Marquee Club from 71' make it onto a bonus DVD of "EXile". Good video from Australia 73' on that boot too.

How's it going "kakdaddy!" On the new 2003 2-CD set re-release of the A HARD ROAD album by JOHN MAYALL AND THE BLUESBREAKERS, one of the first songs that Peter Green and Mick Taylor would work together on would be "First Time Alone" originally off of the 1968 album BLUES FROM LAUREL CANYON. In my opinion, this is a great song. ROCK ON FOREVER!

There is a Exile On Main Street Deluxe Edition coming out next year. That is why Exile was not included in the so called "remasters" on Universal of the Stones studio albums from Sticky Fingers to the present.

I don't know how to provide a link but the short Keith interview was posted online at Rolling Stone 9/2/09 & he says to effect that there's going to be "new" stuff on the deluxe edition that they forgot that they recorded during the "Exile" sessions. The only 2 songs that I'm aware of that didn't get a wide release was a short song called "Exile On Main Street Blues" which is just Jagger singing the song titles from the album over a rollicking piano jam that was only available as a NME flexi disc single, & a withdrawn alternate single mix of "All Down The Line" where the instruments & vocals are more seperated than the album version. Obviously there's more stuff out there from those sessions. Hell, "Emotional Rescue" & half of "Tattoo You" were made up of songs from the "Some Girls" sessions & there's still loads of songs from that one album still unreleased.

I don't know how to provide a link but the short Keith interview was posted online at Rolling Stone 9/2/09 & he says to effect that there's going to be "new" stuff on the deluxe edition that they forgot that they recorded during the "Exile" sessions. The only 2 songs that I'm aware of that didn't get a wide release was a short song called "Exile On Main Street Blues" which is just Jagger singing the song titles from the album over a rollicking piano jam that was only available as a NME flexi disc single, & a withdrawn alternate single mix of "All Down The Line" where the instruments & vocals are more seperated than the album version. Obviously there's more stuff out there from those sessions. Hell, "Emotional Rescue" & half of "Tattoo You" were made up of songs from the "Some Girls" sessions & there's still loads of songs from that one album still unreleased.

I remember hearing an acoustic version of "All Down The Line" that may have been on that flexi disc.

I hope they put the alternate take of "All Down The Line" from the b-side of "Happy" on there. There was an alternate take of "Sway" on the b-side of the original "Wild Horses" (Sticky Fingers)single also.

1) Thanks Eternal Light & Magenta for those great clips. I've seen some of those before but always worth a repeat reviewing. Thanks again :)

2) I remember there was a Slash or Guns N Roses thread some time back (March?) where I got into a disagreement with the person who started that particular thread, & the disagreement was over who was Slash's main influence & he/she kept insisting it was Jeff Beck. Well, I found the qoute to back up the point I had tried to make B) finally.

Slash:

"Mick Taylor had the biggest influence on me without me even knowing it. My favorite Stones albums were "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed", & "Sticky Fingers". Those 3 were major to me cos I was first exposed to those records as a kid. Mick Taylor played on a couple of those records & went on for a couple of more. As I got older & started playing guitar I always gravitated towards his style.

People always mention Jimmy Page, & Jeff Beck & Angus Young - all the obvious ones - but there's guys like Mick Taylor & Joe Walsh that were as important. Mick Taylor had this really cool, round toned bluesy sort of thing that I thought was really effective. Great rock guitar.

One of the great guitar solos is "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" It's the kind of stuff like old Eric Clapton - it's very simple stuff, but's about how the notes are placed & how you approach them."

I like his shout out to Joe Walsh as well as his Mick Taylor praises. I hate the frickin' Eagles but I can't deny that I love Joe Walsh. He's fantastic no matter what.

Edited by kakdaddy

1) Thanks Eternal Light & Magenta for those great clips. I've seen some of those before but always worth a repeat reviewing. Thanks again :)

2) I remember there was a Slash or Guns N Roses thread some time back (March?) where I got into a disagreement with the person who started that particular thread, & the disagreement was over who was Slash's main influence & he/she kept insisting it was Jeff Beck. Well, I found the qoute to back up the point I had tried to make B) finally.

Slash:

"Mick Taylor had the biggest influence on me without me even knowing it. My favorite Stones albums were "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed", & "Sticky Fingers". Those 3 were major to me cos I was first exposed to those records as a kid. Mick Taylor played on a couple of those records & went on for a couple of more. As I got older & started playing guitar I always gravitated towards his style.

People always mention Jimmy Page, & Jeff Beck & Angus Young - all the obvious ones - but there's guys like Mick Taylor & Joe Walsh that were as important. Mick Taylor had this really cool, round toned bluesy sort of thing that I thought was really effective. Great rock guitar.

One of the great guitar solos is "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" It's the kind of stuff like old Eric Clapton - it's very simple stuff, but's about how the notes are placed & how you approach them."

I like his shout out to Joe Walsh as well as his Mick Taylor praises. I hate the frickin' Eagles but I can't deny that I love Joe Walsh. He's fantastic no matter what.

What's happening "kakdaddy!" I hope all is well with you. I like JOE WALSH'S guitar work in THE JAMES GANG, Walsh really Rocks out. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

What's happening "kakdaddy!" I hope all is well with you. I like JOE WALSH'S guitar work in THE JAMES GANG, Walsh really Rocks out. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Joe Walsh may ROCK OUT, but does he ROCK ON?!? Answer that quandry Mein Freund. Until then...

:D Ok. Back to Mick Taylor, Joe Walsh, Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher or whomever this thread was about...

The live version of "Live With Me" off of "Ya Ya's", that's your homework for tonight kids. Richards riffs, Taylor leads... discuss.

Edited by kakdaddy

:D Ok. Back to Mick Taylor, Joe Walsh, Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher or whomever this thread was about...

The live version of "Live With Me" off of "Ya Ya's", that's your homework for tonight kids. Richards riffs, Taylor leads... discuss.

Hey "kakdaddy!" What's happening? I hope all is well with you. Any relation to puffdaddy? I must say, you can hear and feel the Mick Taylor/Peter Green influence throughout the whole "Ya Ya's" album. That Hard Rock Blues sound kicks ass in this album. I LOVE "LIVE WITH ME," where did this beautiful sound come from? Mick Taylor is all over this song! WOW! The interaction between Richards' and Taylor's guitar riffs and licks have redefined perfection within the sound of THE ROLLING STONES! "Ya Ya's" will always rank as one of Rock's all-time greatest live albums ever recorded. Have a great day "kakdaddy" and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend. LONG LIVE THE ROLLING STONES!

At the risk of being nitpicky, Keith plays the main riff and the solo on "Live With Me" on Ya Ya's.

Slash:

The guitar solo in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" is simple but not simple enough for Ron Wood, ha,ha! Ron had great tone on the song, on the Stones Licks tour, but he still couldn't nail the licks of the solo. I kept wanting him to go where he wouldn't go.

At the risk of being nitpicky, Keith plays the main riff and the solo on "Live With Me" on Ya Ya's.

My bad you're right. I was half in the bag when I typed that. Then it would be "Sympathy" where Keith & Mick T trade off leads. Any of the live 69' versions I've heard are 100x better than the studio version.

The guitar solo in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" is simple but not simple enough for Ron Wood, ha,ha! Ron had great tone on the song, on the Stones Licks tour, but he still couldn't nail the licks of the solo. I kept wanting him to go where he wouldn't go.

It was truly awful, really embarressing to watch. Not a song they should ever attempt again. Ron Wood may be a greater success today then when he was in the Faces but joining the Stones completely compromised his guitar playing abilities. He simply cannot play at all anymore. It's a shame even though he was never a virtuoso because I really did enjoy his playing with the Faces, Rod Stewarts early solo albums, & even his own early solo albums. He lost it after "Some Girls". Truly a waste of talent.

It was truly awful, really embarressing to watch. Not a song they should ever attempt again. Ron Wood may be a greater success today then when he was in the Faces but joining the Stones completely compromised his guitar playing abilities. He simply cannot play at all anymore. It's a shame even though he was never a virtuoso because I really did enjoy his playing with the Faces, Rod Stewarts early solo albums, & even his own early solo albums. He lost it after "Some Girls". Truly a waste of talent.

Hey "kakdaddy!" How are you doing man? In my opinion, Ronnie was not a bad guitarist at all, but his playing diminished as years went on because he deliberately tried not to outdo Keith on stage. The two guitarists were actually perfect for each other because they interacted so well together on stage. You are right "kakdaddy," Ronnie's duties as a guitarist was limited with THE STONES but he achieved greater success beyond his wildest dreams. WOW "kakdaddy," you know your shit on THE STONES don't you? Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Edited by ZeppFanForever

My bad you're right. I was half in the bag when I typed that. Then it would be "Sympathy" where Keith & Mick T trade off leads. Any of the live 69' versions I've heard are 100x better than the studio version.

Yup! That's my all time favorite guitar solo, on "Sympathy" from Ya Ya's.

Hey "kakdaddy!" How are you doing man? In my opinion, Ronnie was not a bad guitarist at all, but his playing diminished as years went on because he deliberately tried not to outdo Keith on stage. The two guitarists were actually perfect for each other because they interacted so well together on stage. You are right "kakdaddy," Ronnie's duties as a guitarist was limited with THE STONES but he achieved greater success beyond his wildest dreams. WOW "kakdaddy," you know your shit on THE STONES don't you? Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Hi ZFF :) . I don't think Ron Wood "was" a bad gutarist, in fact I used to really like him. All you have to do is listen to the Faces "All That You Really Need", Rod Stewarts "Cut Across Shorty", & the Stones "Faraway Eyes" to know how good he was. As far as Keith, I do think he puts limits on what Ron Wood plays & Ron Wood's playing as a whole has suffered for it.

As far as Keith & Ronnie's stage interaction, which Keith refers to as the "ancient art of

weaving", I think it's a crock that Keith likes to believe to justify his dominance in the band after his junkie years where he lost control of the band & started to become a presence again on stage beginning with the 81' tour. When Mick T quit the Stones Keith said he was relieved because he could get back to the way he & Brian Jones had played now with Ronnie. When Brian was fired/quit Keith said he was relieved because Mick T was a real guitar player & that Brian sucked for years. Well Keith, which is it lol :D . Keith always talks out of his ass in interviews about the "weaving" whenever there's a new Stones project to promote to make it sound like this current project is the best they've ever sounded. All anyone has to do is listen to any Stones live recording from 69'-73' to know that his "weaving' with Ronnie from 75' to the present does not hold a candle to Mick T's time with the band. Either Keith's hearing isn't what it was after 73' or he has a very selective memory. I believe it's the latter. Unfortunately I think Ron Wood just plays what he's told to play by Keith. That's a shame.

Anyway ZFF thanks for the compliment, but there are other people on the forum who are just as knowledgeable about the Stones as I am if not more than myself, I just shoot my mouth off more often. Until then ZFF, if you can't rock me somebody will.

Hi ZFF :) . I don't think Ron Wood "was" a bad gutarist, in fact I used to really like him. All you have to do is listen to the Faces "All That You Really Need", Rod Stewarts "Cut Across Shorty", & the Stones "Faraway Eyes" to know how good he was. As far as Keith, I do think he puts limits on what Ron Wood plays & Ron Wood's playing as a whole has suffered for it.

As far as Keith & Ronnie's stage interaction, which Keith refers to as the "ancient art of

weaving", I think it's a crock that Keith likes to believe to justify his dominance in the band after his junkie years where he lost control of the band & started to become a presence again on stage beginning with the 81' tour. When Mick T quit the Stones Keith said he was relieved because he could get back to the way he & Brian Jones had played now with Ronnie. When Brian was fired/quit Keith said he was relieved because Mick T was a real guitar player & that Brian sucked for years. Well Keith, which is it lol :D . Keith always talks out of his ass in interviews about the "weaving" whenever there's a new Stones project to promote to make it sound like this current project is the best they've ever sounded. All anyone has to do is listen to any Stones live recording from 69'-73' to know that his "weaving' with Ronnie from 75' to the present does not hold a candle to Mick T's time with the band. Either Keith's hearing isn't what it was after 73' or he has a very selective memory. I believe it's the latter. Unfortunately I think Ron Wood just plays what he's told to play by Keith. That's a shame.

Anyway ZFF thanks for the compliment, but there are other people on the forum who are just as knowledgeable about the Stones as I am if not more than myself, I just shoot my mouth off more often. Until then ZFF, if you can't rock me somebody will.

Hey "kakdaddy," how's it going? Its amazing how much I agree with you. I LOVE THE FACES! The years with THE FACES will prove just how good of a guitarist Ronnie really was.

In my opinion, I also truly feel that Keith was intimidated by Mick Taylor's guitar playing style. As I have stressed so much in the past, Mick Taylor plays so much like that of his mentor, MR. PETER GREEN.

In my opinion, I also truly believe that Mick Taylor carried Keith during the 1969-1974 years due to Keith's drug problems as you stated earlier.

It is also questionable and debatable as to who was the better guitarist, Brian Jones or Mick Taylor. While Mick Taylor was a great guitarist, Brian Jones was a very musically experimental person. Brian was always trying something new such as play different instruments such as the Sitar. Did you know that Brian mastered the Sitar in 20 minutes? Brian was certified as a genius as a kid, he was able to master anything in just a matter of minutes.

As far as comparing Ronnie to Mick Taylor, there is no contest. It would be Mick Taylor hands down.

We both definitely agree that Ronnie's guitar duties were limited just to satisfy what Keith asks of him. As we both know, THE STONES are Mick Jagger's and Keith Richards' band.

Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Edited by ZeppFanForever