Any idea why Houses of the Holy (song) wasnt put on HOTH (album)?

LedZep1969

I think it fits where it is too, and besides, I like the fact it's the title of an album but not on the album :D<_<

I'm currently working on a record called My First Album and have a song for it called My First Album. I'm thinking about saving the song for My Second Album. :beer:

It isn't on the album because the film wasn't finished. The original lyrics:

Let me take you to the movies. Can I take you to the show

Let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

From the Hyatt down on Sunset, virgins come but do not go

In the doorway Lori Maddix, and Jimmy with his bow. You know.

There's an ascot on our manager, he pinpoints the blame

Hear him yell in the garden. It's called The Song Remains The Same. You know.

Zeppelin III is spinning faster. was Zacron drunk or was he stoned

Let our music be your master. don't need album titles at all

'74 won't really happen. it'll hurt more down the line

When it hurts cause they're lying. Is this the only world you'll find? Oh-oh

So let me take you, take you to the movie. Can I take you, baby, to the show.

Why don't you let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

You know.

FUC-ING AWESOME!!!

FUNNIER THAN HELL!!!

Only in context of this thread and the question of who invented the world wide web. Led Zeppelin did have several songs named that started with W. When the Levee Breaks, What is and What should never Be and Whole Lotta Love for a few. WWW.

We're Gonna Groove?

I think it may have to do with the fact the song is somewhat similar to Dancing Days. I'm just saying ...

Dancing Days made the live set and HOTH never was performed live. They were recorded at roughly the same time. Maybe they felt Dancing Days was the better take on the theme. Jimmy in raga mode. Might fit with the whole Song Remains the Same, Ocean, world theme that was prevalent on the album. Even the title Houses of the Holy was said to be in reference to the halls the band played. I still don't know about the tadpole in a jar though! :lol:

Nearly 20 years ago Dave Lewis postulated that HOTH wasn't on, er HOTH possibly because it was in a similar vibe to Dancing Days (as others here have already said) and that's why it wasn't on the album. Often the simplest explanations are the best ones.

Still that doesn't explain why Dancing Days wasn't shelved in favour of HOTH, which, to me, is a better song.

I still don't know about the tadpole in a jar though! laugh.gif

I do have a 70s interview with Robert on file, and I'll be damned if I can find it today, wherein he is asked by the journalist about this lyric. Robert explained he was out walking (had no car) and passed a library with a huge stone lion out front. Someone had placed a tadpole in a jar between it's paws for safekeeping. This experience

stuck with him and he turned it into a lyric:

I saw a lion and he was standing alone

a tadpole in a jar

...so it actually means what it says yet it's still pretty hip 'cause it's something you don't see every day.

If he was putting the journalist on, there are these suggestions:

"Taken in context with getting his girlfriend home without a car, the lion is a certain part of Plant's anatomy and the tadpole is, well, what a sperm looks like" - Paul, Phoenix AZ

"I think if you pay attention to the line before these,"you told your mama I'd get you home, but you didnt say i had no car", the line about the lion and tad pole make more sense. It is, i think, about experience having it's way with experience, the lion being wise and full of life(summer) and the tadpole being vestal and fresh (spring. The guy is going to get the girl home, but it is not going to be with his car! He is going to take her virginity, her youth, make her make her a woman,expirenced, summer".

- justin, richmond hill, AL

"actually it probably is a metaphor for isolation rather than two people because it never says a lion standing alone with a tadpole in a jar it says a lion standing alone, a tadpole in a jar. like its the same thing. so its like a guy standing alone with no one with him".

- Jeanette, Irvine, CA

I really think Robert told it like it was in the interview because it's so crazy and why would he refer to himself in the third person when he refers to himself in the first person thru the whole song?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived