Natasha Richardson Dies From Head Injury

ninelives

The article also stated that there is some discussion going on whether or not to require skiers to wear helmets. I don't ski so I don't know the pros and cons of helmets specific to skiing (except that skiers in any ski events shown on tv always had helmets on}. I do hope that lawmakers consider things carefully and support whatever the best answer is, and don't hurriedly pass a poorly written law.

I'm an avid skier and don't support the use of helmets unless the individual chooses to wear one. However, in this case, she was on a bunny hill receiving lessons. I have no problem and fully endorse any future laws prohibiting beginner skiers from entering the mountain without a helmet.

RIP Natasha, condolences to her loved ones. It is indeed tragic.

I read the updated article... the autopsy said she died from an epidural hematoma. Those can develop very quickly and with disastrous results. Generally, but not always, a subdural hematoma develops more slowly ( hours to days or weeks) while epidural ones are pretty rapid (minutes to hours). With either, the person may briefly lose conciousness, but then be lucid for a bit, and 'feel fine' briefly. The bad headache and vomiting are real typical of brain swelling. What is really tragic about this is that paramedics were called and responded but then sent away. Depending on the severity of the injury, that delay may not have made any difference... but maybe it would have.

The article also stated that there is some discussion going on whether or not to require skiers to wear helmets. I don't ski so I don't know the pros and cons of helmets specific to skiing (except that skiers in any ski events shown on tv always had helmets on}. I do hope that lawmakers consider things carefully and support whatever the best answer is, and don't hurriedly pass a poorly written law.

Meanwhile, sympathy for her loved ones, and I was glad to see that a lot of theaters are going to dim their marquees briefly at a specific time in memory of her. That sounds awesome.

Exactly what a Neurologist i saw last night saying ( i don't recall which show she was on). She didn't say it "was" an Epidural Hematoma, but she discussed that as being the most likely cause. Makes sense. Really short period of time from the onset of symptoms until getting into surgery, and even then the mortality is very high.

I agree with bigstickbonzo about the helmets. I think that wearing them would limit peripheral views (which can be important if a reckless skier is coming up to your side. Maybe they can encourage the use of helmets, but i don't think it should be a law. I have skied since i was 12 and with all my falls (most intentional when i needed to slow down) i was lucky to never hit my head (falling on the butt is the way to go).

Again, i feel this accident was so sad.

All it takes is a ruptured blood vessel to cause swelling to the brain. It's most likely this is what happened. Typically, a person doesn't feel any affects of the rupture until an hour or two after the head trauma when common symptoms such as disorientation, dizziness, nausea and headaches set in. Doctors will also scan the eyes for disorientation and they can become glazed over from the swelling. The prognosis for someone with this type of injury is very hard to determine. Even if she had been in the right medical care immediately, there's no guarantee they would have been able to stop the swelling.

It's a very sad story.

Yeah they were explaining it a bit more on the news now that they verified the cause of her death. It's pretty much what you explain, and with the brain they said the bleeding is far more dangerous because the swelling builds up inside the skull. Geez it makes you really appreciate how lucky you are when you think about all those accidental knocks to the head.

What a loss.

Hello:

I've been listening to reports about this tragedy. I am appauled to learn that there is no air ambulance to take people from smaller hospitals in Quebec to a trauma centre in Montreal....

When Natasha was eventually transported by ambulance, it took an hour at least to get to the trauma centre...

Juliet

PS Canadians especially Quebecers should be petitioning MP's and MLA's to see that there is an ambulance service created for everyone who lives or visits Quebec...

Archived