Outrider Live...

Dr Death

Are there many of you here who were lucky enough to catch Jimmy's 1988 tour for Outrider? I saw him on that tour and it was also the first time I got to meet him. He was exceptionally friendly and receptive, spending upwards of 30 minutes with my friends and me.

The show was a tour-de-force. Songs from his entire career up to that point... Yardbirds, Zep, The Firm, Death Wish II and Outrider. Jason was on drums and John Miles was a fantastic singer for Jimmy's music.

The instrumental version of Stairway was phenomenal as he invited us to sing along. He did some killer versions of In My Time Of Dying, Midnight Moonlight, Over The Hills, The Chase (complete with a violin bow work-out) a great one song acoustic set for Blues Anthem and show stopping Custard Pie which included a brief snippet of Black Dog.

The 1988 Outrider Tour was my third time seeing Jimmy as I had seen him on each of The Firm's tours. The 1988 show, the one I saw anyway, was a tremendous success and meeting him afterward was the icing on the cake!

So... how many of you caught that tour?

I didn't get to go but I kept up on the press, boots, & radio broadcasts from the Outrider tour while it was happening. Great shows. My particular favorite was the opening of "Who's To Blame", "Prelude". & "OTHAFA". It was just great. "Midnight Moonlight" with the "White Summer/Black Mountainside" middle was also wonderful. Loved "Train Kept A Rollin'" too. They whole set was just great, very well rounded & he played great, especially after the Atlantic debacle.

The 1988 Outrider Tour was my third time seeing Jimmy as I had seen him on each of The Firm's tours.

Same as me- I also saw Jimmy on each of The Firm tours ('85 MSG & '86 Nassau) & then the Outrider tour at Nassau. I thought his playing was excellent that night, even better than he was at The Firm shows I saw. And I was very happy he did the instrumental STH because I knew he did it at the ARMS shows which I didn't get to see.

Saw the show in an absolute downpour of rain. Rained so hard that we had to pull the car over driving home. I don't have the date, but it was at the RPI Fieldhouse in Troy, NY. Jimmy was truly amazing that nite. First time ever seeing anyone from Zep live. STH the highlight for me. And how cool to go have pre-zep, zep, firm, outrider, deathwish 2, everything all wrapped up in one show. dazed I wuz.

The smoke show, the laser pyramid, jason bonham on drums.

Will never forget.

Are there many of you here who were lucky enough to catch Jimmy's 1988 tour for Outrider? I saw him on that tour and it was also the first time I got to meet him. He was exceptionally friendly and receptive, spending upwards of 30 minutes with my friends and me.

The show was a tour-de-force. Songs from his entire career up to that point... Yardbirds, Zep, The Firm, Death Wish II and Outrider. Jason was on drums and John Miles was a fantastic singer for Jimmy's music.

The instrumental version of Stairway was phenomenal as he invited us to sing along. He did some killer versions of In My Time Of Dying, Midnight Moonlight, Over The Hills, The Chase (complete with a violin bow work-out) a great one song acoustic set for Blues Anthem and show stopping Custard Pie which included a brief snippet of Black Dog.

The 1988 Outrider Tour was my third time seeing Jimmy as I had seen him on each of The Firm's tours. The 1988 show, the one I saw anyway, was a tremendous success and meeting him afterward was the icing on the cake!

Never saw any of that tour. :(

HOWEVER---I am dying to know--HOW THE ^%%$$% DID YOU GET TO MEET JP AND HAVE 30 MINUTES OF HIS TIME?!?! LOL!! :) Seriously jealous, I am!! I NEED DETAILS!! :D ...since I guess my only jp encounters will have to be through living vicariously through other people. :(

Thanks!! :)

Sharon

I saw the show at Joe Louis in Detroit. It was also my third time seeing him ('77 Silverdome, '86 Firm at the Joe). Believe it or not, it was the first time I had ever heard "Over the Hills and Far Away" live. I've now got a copy of the Japanese "Midnight Moonlight" bootleg....great sound, great show. Singing along to "Stairway" was very cool, and I was always quite pleased that Jimmy chose to perform it that way. No matter your opinion of "Stairway", if Robert doesn't sing it, no one else should.

I saw this show with two friends I went to the Silverdome show with eight years before.....the same friends I saw Plant/Page, and Jimmy & the Crowes with 20 years later. When it comes to old friends, The Mighty Zep is one hell of a bonding agent....but we already knew that didn't we ?

I did attend this tour. 'Stairway to Heaven' as an instrumental for the finale was very emotional. I would say Syracuse was the hottest night of the tour, with Detroit a close second. Jimmy had been battling the flu in Detroit but commented from the stage he was sweating it all out.

I did attend this tour. 'Stairway to Heaven' as an instrumental for the finale was very emotional. I would say Syracuse was the hottest night of the tour, with Detroit a close second. Jimmy had been battling the flu in Detroit but commented from the stage he was sweating it all out.

I saw the NJ show at the Meadowlands (first time I ever saw Jimmy live) and a show in a tiny theater in Pittsburgh. He was unbelievable both times.

I remember being upset at the relatively small crowd for the Meadowlands show, but Jimmy's performance was stellar. Much better than I expected because the last glimpse I'd had of him live was the disastrous (for him) Atlantic reunion. I know a lot of people had their expectations lowered because of that and were blown away by what they saw and heard in the Meadowlands.

The Pittsburgh show was special because the place was so small, I'd never imagined getting the chance to see him in that kind of venue. I must have been no more than 30 feet away when he played Stairway, which was totally cool.

Steve, do you know the name of the venue in Pittsburgh? I think it had the word "mosque" in it, can't quite remember...

I saw the NJ show at the Meadowlands (first time I ever saw Jimmy live) and a show in a tiny theater in Pittsburgh. He was unbelievable both times.

I remember being upset at the relatively small crowd for the Meadowlands show, but Jimmy's performance was stellar. Much better than I expected because the last glimpse I'd had of him live was the disastrous (for him) Atlantic reunion. I know a lot of people had their expectations lowered because of that and were blown away by what they saw and heard in the Meadowlands.

The Pittsburgh show was special because the place was so small, I'd never imagined getting the chance to see him in that kind of venue. I must have been no more than 30 feet away when he played Stairway, which was totally cool.

Steve, do you know the name of the venue in Pittsburgh? I think it had the word "mosque" in it, can't quite remember...

I went to the Meadowlands show too. Just plain awesome. STH was the highlight for sure.

October 7, 1988 LA Forum.

After the disaster of the Atlantic Records reunion, I was nervous as to how Jimmy

would play, as I was bringing someone who had never seen Jimmy play before.

Much to my relief and joy, Jimmy played great(there's something about LA that

seems to bring out the best in him)...and you could just FEEL the love for

the man in that room! The good vibes were palpable...everybody was happy to

see Jimmy back on stage, back at the Forum where so many of us have such

wonderful memories of Zeppelin shows past, and we all wanted to see him do

well and waves of love were being sent his way by each and every one of us

in the crowd.

It was fascinating hearing the Death Wish II material and the Outrider songs hold

up better than some people might realize. Of course, the Zep stuff was the big draw;

In My Time of Dying was incredible, Over the Hills, the bow segment leading into

Dazed and Confused, Train Kept a Rollin'...topped by the Stairway instrumental

with all of us flicking our bics! What a sight!

Best thing about the show was that, after the Atlantic reunion, this tour somewhat

rescusitated his rep and showed he could still blaze on guitar when he wanted to.

Now Jimmy, how about a second solo record and tour, eh?

I take it you weren't all that impressed ???

Sorry I gave that impression. I ALWAYS love watching Jimmy live. Never been disappointed because he has always had moments of genius even in the poorer performances I've seen.

What I WILL say about the tour is it wasn't that memorable, and to be honest, I prefered The Firm.

Sorry I gave that impression. I ALWAYS love watching Jimmy live. Never been disappointed because he has always had moments of genius even in the poorer performances I've seen.

What I WILL say about the tour is it wasn't that memorable, and to be honest, I prefered The Firm.

Another show that missed Vancouver <_< I must admit that I know very little about either tour. Without being able to see Jimmy live during that period, us fans in Vancouver were pretty much in the dark about how he was doing and, playing. That would also explain my own personal joy with the Page / Plant tours.

I went to the nassau coliseum show and it was great. I did not know what to expect and as others have said, this was just after the atlantic 40th. The only thing i had heard of jimmy in the 80s, were live aid and atlantic, hadnt seen any firm shows. As with the outrider album being sort of low key and all about the guitar... the outrider show followed that vibe. It was a jimmy page show. I am surprised -page has not done a similar tour since then, especially these last several years.

Well as I probably told you before I was at the Vancouver 98 show and loved it. :)

Yes you did and it was a great show. There was justification in this town for Jimmy after that show. Many long time fans weren't sure if he still had it. The last time the locals had seen him was in 75 and for those of us that went down to Seattle in 77, we were just happy to see him looking so healthy and inspired. I just wish I'd been able to see him in between

As in he played in a mosque? Man, I wish he would go on tour with some of his guitar material... play smaller venues. God know he doesn't need the money. For the principle. Peace. Damn, I've been looking for a support network for so long. I'll gladly go with him and play my hand drums in any mosque I can get my little Jewish ass into, lol. B):D

By the way, it wasn't a literal "mosque"; that was just the name of the small theater. I have no idea if it's still there, I haven't been back to Pittsburgh since that night!

Hope you're not disappointed! :)

I also saw Jimmy on this tour in New Orleans, which just so happened to be my first concert ever. It was great! I wish that there was footage from this show, but as far as I know-none exist. A guy named Maso Ruffner opened up (a three piece blues/rock outfit) and they were killer too. Great memories indeed. I've been searching hi and low for any tapes of this show. Would love to relive that night again. Page played very well and from the stuff I have found from this tour, he had an aggressive tone to his guitar sound, much more distortion than I was used to hearing from him, but it was all great.

I also saw Jimmy on this tour in New Orleans, which just so happened to be my first concert ever. It was great! I wish that there was footage from this show, but as far as I know-none exist. A guy named Maso Ruffner opened up (a three piece blues/rock outfit) and they were killer too. Great memories indeed. I've been searching hi and low for any tapes of this show. Would love to relive that night again. Page played very well and from the stuff I have found from this tour, he had an aggressive tone to his guitar sound, much more distortion than I was used to hearing from him, but it was all great.

It was a homecoming of sorts for them both, as Jimmy's wife Patricia had family ties in

the area and Jimmy had met Mason for the first time in New Orleans (back in March '85

whilst touring with The Firm, Jimmy and bassist Tony Franklin walked in during Mason's set at Old Absynthe House on Bourbon street...Jimmy introduced himself…turned down invitation to jam but gave Mason tickets to The Firm's show...Jimmy did return to jam

with Mason on two consecutive nights that week before going on his mid-tour break).

By the way, it wasn't a literal "mosque"; that was just the name of the small theater. I have no idea if it's still there, I haven't been back to Pittsburgh since that night!

Hope you're not disappointed! :)

Sadly it's gone -- the site is now a parking lot. It was a small music hall with great acoustics and home to the Pittsburgh Symphony for many years. A lot of great acts played there, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Band, Springsteen, REM among others. There was much controversy when it was demolished, and resulted in an organization dedicated to the preservation of historical sites in Pgh to be formed.

Archived