Best Extended Jam Songs

EzyEric

For anyone who's into GROOVE, check out Tower Of Power : "Knock Yourself Out" from the album Live And In Living Colour. Recorded live in Sacramento 1976. Lenny Pickett and Chester Thompson

are amazing B)

I'm looking for some suggestions on amazing, long, jam songs from other bands...

Dude, you gotta get Humble Pie's "Rockin' the Fillmore"! It is MANDATORY...it should

be in every rock fan's collection!

Any Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead shows will feature lots of jamming; but try to

stick to 60's-early 70's stuff. After Duane Allman and Pigpen died, it wasn't the same

for either band.

"Reba" by Phish is one of my favourite jams by them, often going into unexpected

waters and leading into other songs. One of my personal favourite "Reba" is from

the October 29, 1998 show at the Greek Theatre in L.A. Try to find it at your usual

trading sites. "You Enjoy Myself", "David Bowie", "Moma Dance" are other cool

jams by Phish.

I would also suggest you check out the Soft Machine, particularly the first four albums:

1. The Soft Machine 1968

2. Volume Two 1969

3. Third 1970

4. Fourth 1971

More in the psychedelic-prog-jazz vein(think Miles Davis Bitches Brew-era) than your

usual rock band, the Robert Wyatt(drums, vocals) years are the best; after he left in

1971 things weren't the same.

There have been some cool reissues of 1970-71 period live shows recently...check 'em

out.

Edited by Strider

Dude, you gotta get Humble Pie's "Rockin' the Fillmore"! It is MANDATORY...it should

be in every rock fan's collection!

Any Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead shows will feature lots of jamming; but try to

stick to 60's-early 70's stuff. After Duane Allman and Pigpen died, it wasn't the same

for either band.

"Reba" by Phish is one of my favourite jams by them, often going into unexpected

waters and leading into other songs. One of my personal favourite "Reba" is from

the October 29, 1998 show at the Greek Theatre in L.A. Try to find it at your usual

trading sites. "You Enjoy Myself", "David Bowie", "Moma Dance" are other cool

jams by Phish.

I would also suggest you check out the Soft Machine, particularly the first four albums:

1. The Soft Machine 1968

2. Volume Two 1969

3. Third 1970

4. Fourth 1971

More in the psychedelic-prog-jazz vein(think Miles Davis Bitches Brew-era) than your

usual rock band, the Robert Wyatt(drums, vocals) years are the best; after he left in

1971 things weren't the same.

There have been some cool reissues of 1970-71 period live shows recently...check 'em

out.

Great suggestions thanks, just randomly found one song from Rockin the Fillmore and its amazing, geting the whole album now.

As far as Grateful Dead wouldnt most consider them to be the best at jamming in the later 70's or even 80's?

And im getting those Soft Machine albums.

Edited by EzyEric

Great suggestions thanks, just randomly found one song from Rockin the Fillmore and its amazing, geting the whole album now.

As far as Grateful Dead wouldnt most consider them to be the best at jamming in the later 70's or even 80's?

And im getting those Soft Machine albums.

No - IMO I'd say the best Dead jams were prior to that, not to say they weren't great in the 80s and 90s.

For anyone who's into GROOVE, check out Tower Of Power : "Knock Yourself Out" from the album Live And In Living Colour. Recorded live in Sacramento 1976. Lenny Pickett and Chester Thompson

are amazing B)

Don't Change Horses in the Middle of the Stream is also a good one from Tower of Power.

Don't Change Horses in the Middle of the Stream is also a good one from Tower of Power.

Yes it is ! As is Squib Cakes from the same album " Back To Oakland ". SC live is another great extended jam but there is no official live release of that song. Unofficial...that's another matter :D

Spoonfull - Cream

I'm So Glad - Cream

Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin

No Quarter - Led Zeppelin

N.S.U. - Cream

Dark Star - The Grateful Dead

Sweet Wine - Cream

Mountain Jam - The Allman Brothers Band

You Don't Love Me - The Allman Brothers Band

Desdemona - The Allman Brothers Band

Whipping Post - The Allman Brothers Band

In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band

Tennessee Jed - The Gratreful Dead

Franklin's Tower - The Grateful Dead

Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band

Just to name a few, and I never even listed any jazz tunes.

Try this (13 min with a long jam at the end):

Dave Matthews Crush Live

Thanks that was nice, this is my bros fav. band and I was surprised to find out they are a Jam band and considered on of the best at that. I like violin and brass but I would have prefered some guitar in the end jam.

If you like violin with rock check out Widespead Panic - 07-04-08 Rothbury (bootleg) with ann marie calhoun on violin/fiddle. If you dont know her look her up but i suspect as a DMB fan you should know her.

Best version of all was Jimmy's back in 1968 at the Anderson Theatre. B)

I'll take As Long as I Have You 04-27-69 which includes part of this song, though it sounds rather different.

And I think As Long as I have You is the best zeppelin jam from the early days next to How Many More Times and Dazed of course.

Edited by EzyEric