Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

57 minutes ago, Strider said:

Nothing to say to you except that it's 'discern' not 'disseminate'. Perhaps a dictionary along with an encyclopedia is in order.

Am I the only one hearing Walter White's voice while reading that?  I'm gonna go stream Crystal Blue Persuasion now...

15 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Well, Australia Day, refers to Australia's National Day, kingzoso.  From what I know and understand, I think this national holiday is celebrated, to mark the anniversary of the arrival of the first fleet of British ships back in 1788, at a place called Port Jackson, in Sydney. In other words, this is a holiday that marks the anniversary of the actual founding of Australia, as a country. I guess that's why this particular holiday has alternative names like 'Foundation Day'. 

Hope this helps! :) 

Kiwi, Most of what you wrote is correct. The fleet landed at Kurnell, Botany Bay on 21st January (the future site of Sydney Airport), but was deemed unsuitable due to the landscape, miles and miles of sand dunes and lack of fresh water. Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour), was named well after the landing and raising of the flag at Sydney Cove on 26th January, 1788. In sixty years I have never ever heard it referred to as Foundation Day. It has been and always will be Australia Day or Invasion Day as coined by the indigenous people. Wikipedia is not always accurate.

kingzoso, I pointed out once before in another thread that Gondwanaland, New Holland, Van Diemen's Land, Terra Australis or Australia as it is now called, was not the only penal colony set up by the British, North America as it was known back then, was once one too and before Australia was discovered in 1770. Btw, I prefer Bing to Google.

4 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Kiwi, Most of what you wrote is correct. The fleet landed at Kurnell, Botany Bay on 21st January (the future site of Sydney Airport), but was deemed unsuitable due to the landscape, miles and miles of sand dunes and lack of fresh water. Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour), was named well after the landing and raising of the flag at Sydney Cove on 26th January, 1788. In sixty years I have never ever heard it referred to as Foundation Day. It has been and always will be Australia Day or Invasion Day as coined by the indigenous people. Wikipedia is not always accurate.

kingzoso, I pointed out once before in another thread that Gondwanaland, New Holland, Van Diemen's Land, Terra Australis or Australia as it is now called, was not the only penal colony set up by the British, North America as it was known back then, was once one too and before Australia was discovered in 1770. Btw, I prefer Bing to Google.

Thanks Kiwi and Reggie. 

25 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

I have a hankering to watch an old western. Very random.

Stagecoach? High Noon? 40 Guns? She Wore a Yellow Ribbon? Ride Lonesome? Johnny Guitar? Rio Bravo? The Searchers?

Edited by Strider

10 minutes ago, Strider said:

Stagecoach? High Noon? 40 Guns? She Wore a Yellow Ribbon? Ride Lonesome? Johnny Guitar? Rio Bravo? The Searchers?

As always, Strider to the rescue! :)  Think I will start with The Searchers, and if that doesn't quench my thirst, I'll watch High Noon, and so on...

Thank you! :friends: 

25 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

As always, Strider to the rescue! :)  Think I will start with The Searchers, and if that doesn't quench my thirst, I'll watch High Noon, and so on...

Thank you! :friends: 

Always happy to oblige, ma'am.

On 1/30/2016 at 7:13 AM, Reggie29 said:

Thank you for that very interesting note on 'Australia Day', Reggie! I learnt some new and interesting things today! Thanks again! :) 

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Always happy to oblige, ma'am.

The Searchers was a perfect fix!  Wow, the scenery was gorgeous!!

:gimmefive:

On 1/29/2016 at 9:25 PM, Strider said:

Haha, of course! I should have realized being the Rushhead you are that it was the Rush song you meant. :slapface:

Awww...no problem, Strider! It happens to the best of us! :) I was exploring the Rush catalog the other day, like the total Rush geek that I am :P , eagerly checking out what their albums from the 90's and 00's have to offer and I am happy to report that I fell in love with Roll The Bones and Vapor Trails! :D 

Oh brother! :slapface: This is the very first time that I'm actually experiencing a couple of symptoms of a hangover! It's not severe, but it's not very pretty, either. But, then again, one must most certainly anticipate a night of excess, when alcohol is mixed with the music of David Bowie! :shifty: 

^ True that!  I've had many nights with too many shots and my Zeppelin DVD's....  It just sneaks up on you, right?!? ;) 

21 hours ago, Strider said:

High Noon.  A different kind of western, all taking place over an intense hour. Strange that the entire town turns their back on the good guy.  Didn't have the gorgeous landscape that The Searchers had, but I love the cool song that plays throughout the movie. 

Do not forsake me oh my darlin' ... will be playing in my head all day. :) 

18 hours ago, Walter said:

^ True that!  I've had many nights with too many shots and my Zeppelin DVD's....  It just sneaks up on you, right?!? ;) 

Yes Walter, it certainly did! ;) I started drinking officially from the age of 19 and never once did I even remotely, experience the symptoms of a hangover, until now. And at this point, all I can say is that 'David Bowie Made Me Do It!' :P 

I will never ever EVER, look at Mount Rushmore the same way, ever again! It is certainly more Canadian, than I thought! :P 

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :shifty: 

11178215_883960531696327_138861442550489

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

56 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I'm not a western nut by any means, but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has always been a worthwhile view....

I'm watching that now...and loving it!  It's Clint Eastwood bad.  :wub:

19 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I'm not a western nut by any means, but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has always been a worthwhile view....

One of my favourites. But as Ddladner asked specifically for an "old western", I limited my list to the pre-Spaghetti Western era. Everything from the Sergio Leone-Clint Eastwood trilogy and Sam Peckinpah's "Wild Bunch" onward I consider modern westerns.

Edited by Strider