Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

Random thought of 6/23/18.

We had a graduation party for my daughter, featuring a baked potato bar.  It was about 95F in the front yard and the butter melted.  Someone spilled bacon into the melted butter.

So I ate the butter soaked bacon!

Random thought: "Damn that's good!"

Marge.......We're out of butter soaked bacon.

BtaFdwwCQAESrw3.jpg

Jokes aside:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/b9ec7a58-58ec-3680-be10-8453ba1f935f/ss_association-removes-laura.html

CHICAGO – A division of the American Library Association has voted to remove Laura Ingalls Wilder's name from a major children's book award over concerns with how the early-to-mid 20th century author portrayed blacks and Native Americans. The Association for Library Service to Children's board made the unanimous decision Saturday at a meeting in New Orleans. The name has been changed to the Children's Literature Legacy Award. The association says the work of Wilder — best known for her "Little House on the Prairie" novels — "includes expressions of stereotypical attitudes inconsistent with ALSC's core values." The first award was given to Wilder in 1954.

In the words of Keith Relf  "Too Much!" Michael Landon is rolling over in his grave.

2 hours ago, chef free said:

We had a graduation party for my daughter, featuring a baked potato bar.  It was about 95F in the front yard and the butter melted.  Someone spilled bacon into the melted butter.

You kind of turned that one around didn't ya? :lol: 

1 hour ago, apantherfrommd said:

Jokes aside:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/b9ec7a58-58ec-3680-be10-8453ba1f935f/ss_association-removes-laura.html

CHICAGO – A division of the American Library Association has voted to remove Laura Ingalls Wilder's name from a major children's book award over concerns with how the early-to-mid 20th century author portrayed blacks and Native Americans. The Association for Library Service to Children's board made the unanimous decision Saturday at a meeting in New Orleans. The name has been changed to the Children's Literature Legacy Award. The association says the work of Wilder — best known for her "Little House on the Prairie" novels — "includes expressions of stereotypical attitudes inconsistent with ALSC's core values." The first award was given to Wilder in 1954.

In the words of Keith Relf  "Too Much!" Michael Landon is rolling over in his grave.

That is ridiculous. Are they so obtuse they do not realize she was still a product of her time? There are black writers (WEB DuBois, Ralph Waldo Ellison, etc.) from the same era who referred to fellow blacks using the exact same language as Ingalls in the exact same context. 

When you fail to consider context and time, this is the shit which happens. You simply cannot judge a late 19th century writer, of any color, by an early 21st century bar. These people are morons.

But it's getting to be a big issue these days!  I've had to remind my own children that you can't judge someone from the past by current standards.

These people are morons.

Here, here!

Here, here is widely regarded as a misspelling, although it is a common one, and there are ways to logically justify its use. But for what it’s worth, hear, hear is the original form (the Oxford English Dictionary cites examples going back to the 17th century) and is the one listed in dictionaries. English reference books mention here, here only to note that it’s wrong. 😕

2 hours ago, Anjin-san said:

beauty is often found in the strangest places 4 8 Look closer and youll see beauty is all around us (45 Photos)

They were on the news. Good deal. :)

On 2/1/2018 at 1:42 PM, Strider said:

Make America Gag Again?

No. I think it was referring to the 80's. That was the Heyday of shows like Dallas or Dynasty or The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Times when it being prosperous was something people tried to reach. (and they weren't shamed for it.) Those weren't necessarily bad times for America.

Before cell phones, people were more sociable with each other. Amazing! I think this is a 7-11! :lol: That French chick is stoned as hell. 

This evening, I held the door open for this black dude. He busted his head into the door (LIKE, HOW?) looking into his cell like it was the eye of Sauron. TYPICAL for some.

Nothing wrong with this country becoming better again, if you want it.   Great old video footage of 1987.

Edited by apantherfrommd

5 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

No. I think it was referring to the 80's. That was the Heyday of shows like Dallas or Dynasty or The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Times when it being prosperous was something people tried to reach. (and they weren't shamed for it.) Those weren't necessarily bad times for America.

Before cell phones, people were more sociable with each other. Amazing! I think this is a 7-11! :lol: That French chick is stoned as hell. 

This evening, I held the door open for this black dude. He busted his head into the door (LIKE, HOW?) looking into his cell like it was the eye of Sauron. TYPICAL for some.

Nothing wrong with this country becoming better again, if you want it.   Great old video footage of 1987.

That's a busy ass place for 2:30 AM. Today the stick-up man would be pissed with all the customers going in and out.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:03 AM, Strider said:

You reap what you sow.

Aye 

On 6/24/2018 at 1:15 PM, chef free said:

On 6/24/2018 at 1:50 PM, redrum said:

Marge.......We're out of butter soaked bacon.

BtaFdwwCQAESrw3.jpg

Bacon makes everything better.

19 minutes ago, Anjin-san said:

232cc96660e5030bf5126e65905c4bab Daily Afternoon Randomness (50 Photos)

RAK

That's harder than it looks.  I can tie one on me, but never on someone else.  Have to loosely tie it on me first.

I lived with a friend for a while after I got divorced.  He used to laugh at me because I had a small ironing board & Iron.  Low and behold, a couple months later we both had to go to a wedding of a mutual friend.  As I was ironing my white shirt in the basement with starch, I could hear him slowly and humbly walking down the stairs with his wrinkled shirt in hand.  Oh the 'iron'y.      

Hi Bong Man,your right on that.I always had to get behind someone show them how to tie a tie.Just thought this Random Act of Kindness might give a kick start to folks, like an old Harley.:yesnod:

Yeah same here with junior. I usually tie it on myself before giving it back to him, proper length is the challenge, but a couple of weeks ago I was able to just tie it while he was wearing it. Those skinny 14 year old necks...

On 5/27/2018 at 10:25 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I wanna do some hot air balloon flying this year, get that checked off muh bucket list.

Statesville, East Coast, or Smokies.

That's a nice one to cross off.

"I wanna do some hot air balloon flying this year, get that checked off muh bucket list."

I'd like to tour the Guadalcanal battle sites, though I know the tropical heat there would probably kill me.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, apantherfrommd said:

Statesville, East Coast, or Smokies.

That's a nice one to cross off.

Gotta look into this.