Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

#8.

The others just seem awkward as I'm right handed.

....who was dragged down by the Stone...

Love “Dogs”

45 minutes ago, Walter said:

Love “Dogs”

Oh yes, my all time favourite Pink Floyd song.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." ~ Mark Twain

Led Zeppelin should have its own national holiday. On this day, no one should go to work or school - just jam to Led Zeppelin! 

On 1/25/2019 at 7:22 AM, Walter said:

Love “Dogs”

I'm not gonna lie, reading that lyric put the whole song and mood into my head in a split second. That's a level of genius that's still untouched.

18 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Did anyone ever fade out as fast as Mazzy Star?

Umm...yeah...hundreds of bands have faded out faster.

You haven't been paying attention. Mazzy Star still records and tours...they are playing shows next month...and their last album in 2013 was well-received and listed among the best albums of 2013.

Hope Sandoval also has her solo band The Warm Inventions and Mazzy Star goes on periods of haitus. They are not on a hamster-wheel schedule for your amusement. They are on their own timetable.

They have not faded away. Their music is still beloved, their shows are still packed, and Hope still has got that voice.

49 minutes ago, Strider said:

. They are not on a hamster-wheel schedule for your amusement. They are on their own timetable.

Why do you always reply like someone insulted your best friend's band? 

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Why do you always reply like someone insulted your best friend's band? 

I have a lot of friends in bands.

If anyone has any suggestions of things to do in Austin, put 'em here!  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, ebk said:

If anyone has any suggestions of things to do in Austin, put 'em here!  Thanks.

Franklin's BBQ on 11th St.

The clubs and bars around 6th St. & Congress...the Steamboat is where I first saw Stevie Ray Vaughn in 1981.

The bats under the Congress bridge and Hippie Hollow.

Waterloo and Crocodile Record Shops.

The State Capitol Dome and surrounding area.

Edited by Strider

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

Franklin's BBQ on 11th St.

The clubs and bars around 6th St. & Congress...the Steamboat is where I first saw Stevie Ray Vaughn in 1981.

The bats under the Congress bridge and Hippie Hollow.

Crocodile Record Shop.

The State Capitol Dome and surrounding area.

You're my best friend! 

We did the Capitol and the LBJ Library and the bats the last time we were there, but I'm happy to see them all again.  I need to check to see if the bats are in season.  

Thanks for the bar suggestions!!

Why isn't humanity in general working toward a 4 day working week as the new standard? We have technological advancements, longer life, smarter and healthier populations (at least in advanced western societies that invest in their education systems) - so what is our collective goal? To better our lives generally and be happier and better placed to contribute to the further advancement of us all - or something along these lines - yes?

So why not start with being able to live with a better work/life balance with a 4 day working week? Not easy - but if we all wanted it to work and happen, it could.

WTF are we all here for if not to make it better for everyone - including those yet to come?

*EDIT

....and about an hour later, I see this....

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/02/the-case-for-an-automation-powered-4-day-work-week/

Are they reading my thoughts???

Edited by rm2551

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Why isn't humanity in general working toward a 4 day working week as the new standard? We have technological advancements, longer life, smarter and healthier populations (at least in advanced western societies that invest in their education systems) - so what is our collective goal? To better our lives generally and be happier and better placed to contribute to the further advancement of us all - or something along these lines - yes?

So why not start with being able to live with a better work/life balance with a 4 day working week? Not easy - but if we all wanted it to work and happen, it could.

Ah, the leisure society -- that old chestnut. The four day work week lowers the unemployment rate, but that's about it. The negatives are that businesses already use a four day work week to deny benefits like employer-provided medical insurance and given wage stagnation the loss of wages makes it that much harder to make ends meet, let alone own a home or save anything for retirement. In fact, it's impractical precisely because life expectancy has increased! Americans in 1900 had a life expectancy of 40 to 45 years. That's just enough time to survive a war, have children and die. Nowadays, most expect to live to 75 to 80. Living COMFORTABLY for 80 years on Earth is expensive.     

13 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Ah, the leisure society -- that old chestnut. The four day work week lowers the unemployment rate, but that's about it. The negatives are that businesses already use a four day work week to deny benefits like employer-provided medical insurance and given wage stagnation the loss of wages makes it that much harder to make ends meet, let alone own a home or save anything for retirement. In fact, it's impractical precisely because life expectancy has increased! Americans in 1900 had a life expectancy of 40 to 45 years. That's just enough time to survive a war, have children and die. Nowadays, most expect to live to 75 to 80. Living COMFORTABLY for 80 years on Earth is expensive.     

I agree with the difficulties you highlight. We would need to work out how to do it while maintaining business interests/profitability as well as wage/living cost considerations. I don't believe it is a bad idea, or one that is not possible.

Adjusting work/life balance toward more family time you may call a leisure society, I call it a better balance. I think the benefits would more than compensate for the difficulties. It at least should be seriously looked at imho.

8 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

Roger Waters is a total douche bag........

Why, oh  it's political you can't say.  Fwiw I completely agree with him actually. Keep it up Rog.