Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

You have completely missed the irony of last post. She goes to great lengths to call me arrogant yet demonstrates what can be perceived as arrogance herself. Make no mistake, it is strictly a matter perception, because with rare exception no one here knows me personally, nor I them. Did the thought ever occur to anyone I could be ten times more arrogant in person towards others so I'm actually being relatively considerate in my posts?

I've stated I use post count (post content) as a tool for discernment. To do so is my perogative, just as to insist post count is completely unimportant is your perogative. I'm not looking to change anybody's opinion, let alone win hearts and minds here. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned there's less than 10 people here posting anything

remotely useful let alone interesting to me.

I am not obliged to tender a further explanation as to my thoughts on this matter; none will be forthcoming.

Not without being a total recluse or getting a beatdown on an almost daily basis.

irrelevant I know but he's got me on ignore so what do I care........I'm fairly certain those useful and interesting posts are about Robert's bulge or hot pics of Jimmybiggrin.gif

I guess the whole debate comes down to one question you have to ask yourself, "Why am I here?" For most I would assume it's to chat with people with similiar taste in music, for others it may take the form of being part of their latest(however fleeting) musical obsession, and for one at least it seems to be a desire to impress others. There's room for everyone in my opinion, even the trolls(nothing will wake up a dead forum like a rampaging troll who is good at it).

I say live and let live, but with that comes another saying "you made your bed, lie on it" which means any community is what the members make it.

Do you really think all posters are on a level playing field here Otto? People come here for a multitude of reasons, surmising that you know what we all came here for is audacious at best.... good vibey posts, introspective posts, and yes bickering are a part of the overall balance. If you want to counsel people to ignore somebody obnoxious, then I guess we can ignore those that are not as willing to turn the other cheek.

It does amaze me that there is one, and occasionally two people here that manage to really get the members hackles up, and it's everyone else that should avoid the issue, rather than dealing with the issue itself/themselves. :blink:

Hickory Man, I never assumed a single motivation for everybody to join these forums, that's not what I mean. Just take Steve A. Jones, for example - he clearly has reasons of his own, not shared by everybody here. The point is that these forums are hardly in place for just any purpose - I would think the idea is to create a venue for public discussion amongst fans of Led Zeppelin, not so much just a free-for-all (which is not a recipe for a good, interesting public discussion). We have often had a situation here where thread after thread goes down the drain because of bickering that keeps getting out of control. That, for one thing, is the kind of context I had in mind. That's not inevitable, and I still think I was right to point out that there is no reason to post one's personal disgust with somebody else. Why? Simply because it's of no consequence for anybody else. We all have to make up our own minds in the end about the next person. It's another matter when problems occur that affect the forums more generally.

Of course differences are inevitable. What you do with them is exchange arguments for the consideration of the others, and you stay focused on the actual topic in doing so. Thus I just gave Steve A Jones some reasons why he shouldn't consider post count important, and he chose to ignore them (because he's important and has prerogatives). That was the end of one discussion. We can also imagine another scenario - such as a really fruitful discussion with a poster who happens to see things differently, but is nevertheless genuinely interested in what the other person has to say.

The point is that these forums are hardly in place for just any purpose - I would think the idea is to create a venue for public discussion amongst fans of Led Zeppelin, not so much just a free-for-all (which is not a recipe for a good, interesting public discussion).

So hypothetically, if it was completely up to you,there'd be no general forums? The general forums area (I.E. the "Basement") is where most of the "free-for-all" types of discussions occur-and where most of my posts have been.

I'm not trying to be a smartass (this time),it's a sincere question.

Of course differences are inevitable. What you do with them is exchange arguments for the consideration of the others, and you stay focused on the actual topic in doing so. Thus I just gave Steve A Jones some reasons why he shouldn't consider post count important, and he chose to ignore them (because he's important and has prerogatives). That was the end of one discussion. We can also imagine another scenario - such as a really fruitful discussion with a poster who happens to see things differently, but is nevertheless genuinely interested in what the other person has to say.

Otto, I didn't choose to ignore your discussion, in point of fact I replied. If my reply was off-putting that was not the intent, it's just something I don't feel inclined to discuss ad nauseum because using the search function or

reviewing my post history will reveal I've already posted my thoughts on the topic of post count in the past.

Just to reiterate, for me it is a tool for discernment. If I am approached on the street, in a venue or something

other tools for discernment come into play - the traditional five senses - only one of which can be used here.

Given sight is the only one of five senses that can be used here post count as a tool for discernment applies.

T4ORIGINAL2.jpg

Not without being a total recluse or getting a beatdown on an almost daily basis.

irrelevant I know but he's got me on ignore so what do I care........I'm fairly certain those useful and interesting posts are about Robert's bulge or hot pics of Jimmybiggrin.gif

I guess the whole debate comes down to one question you have to ask yourself, "Why am I here?" For most I would assume it's to chat with people with similiar taste in music, for others it may take the form of being part of their latest(however fleeting) musical obsession, and for one at least it seems to be a desire to impress others. There's room for everyone in my opinion, even the trolls(nothing will wake up a dead forum like a rampaging troll who is good at it).

I say live and let live, but with that comes another saying "you made your bed, lie on it" which means any community is what the members make it.

:hysterical:

Be careful Festering, he might put you on 'Super Ignore ignore'. Only the most pompous posters... *ahem* poster, gets that function.

That was a random thought so I kept it ON TOPIC...

:P

So hypothetically, if it was completely up to you,there'd be no general forums? The general forums area (I.E. the "Basement") is where most of the "free-for-all" types of discussions occur-and where most of my posts have been.

I'm not trying to be a smartass (this time),it's a sincere question.

Nah, again, I mean a situation where things keep getting totally out of hand (as they often have on here, unfortunately). These forums are meant for LZ fans, very obviously, but the fans can discuss all kinds of things. They don't have to rip each others' throats because they don't agree on everything - they can just debate the fucking thing, can't they? You know, talk about the actual issue at hand, and not, say, that they think Steve A Jones is a windbag, etc). As you must know I have often posted in the other bands forums myself, even if most of the time I will hang out on the LZ Master Forums. If there are a few people on here who like other bands even more than they do LZ, why, that's always been fine with me - why shouldn't it?

I tend to gravitate towards the general forums on any forum I post on (the exception being gaming forums), using this one as an example, I have to say I have no interest in what the band had for lunch on june 6, 1971, what they played at soundcheck in seattle in 77 or any other (to my mind) useless anectdotes, if some find that stuff interesting that's fine, but I have to say having that knowledge(or worse yet, pretending to) does not impress me in the least, I get a little creeped out at that kind of obsession. Further down the ladder on my scale of interest would be the "zep is the greatest","jimmy is the best guitarist ever", I outgrow that 30 years ago, and while I think it's cool that 13 year old kids react the same way I did when I was 13 there is only so much fanboy/girl stuff I can stomach. And finally at the bottom of the barrel would be teenage girls(or worse 40's women acting like teenage girls) fawning over robert's bulge or hot pics of jimmy..I'll pass thank you.

I guess my point is everything that can be said about Zep already has been said, so unless something groundbreaking happens like a vault full of unrealesed stuff is found there isn't much of interest up there for me(making up a stupid caption or 2 notwithstanding). I'd much rather talk about cars, guitar technique, what you did on your last vacation, congrats on the new job, etc....

*edit* just kidding I'm actually a horrible troll but nobody wants to play with mebiggrin.gif

Edited by Festering Gob

:hysterical:

Be careful Festering, he might put you on 'Super Ignore ignore'. Only the most pompous posters... *ahem* poster, gets that function.

That was a random thought so I kept it ON TOPIC...

:P

Dude..... "Double Secret Ignore"

;)

Get it right, or no more Delta.

;)

maxsmart2.jpg

"Missed it by *that* much."

;)

I thought you had to answer a skill testing question to get the 'Double Secret Ignore'.

:whistling:

Dammit,you can't dangle a carrot like that without details!!

Fastback,Notchback or convertible?

Automatic or 4-speed?

Straight six or V8?

289,302,351W,351C,390,428,429?

Well!?

We're waiting....

caddyshack_5F00_smales_5F00_frown.jpg

B)

Notchback 289 V8 w/auto tranny in white with blue interior. Condition? MINT ....I mean MINT condition.

It was a looker car for him as he was retired from building rods by then.

I tend to gravitate towards the general forums on any forum I post on (the exception being gaming forums), using this one as an example, I have to say I have no interest in what the band had for lunch on june 6, 1971, what they played at soundcheck in seattle in 77 or any other (to my mind) useless anectdotes, if some find that stuff interesting that's fine, but I have to say having that knowledge(or worse yet, pretending to) does not impress me in the least, I get a little creeped out at that kind of obsession. Further down the ladder on my scale of interest would be the "zep is the greatest","jimmy is the best guitarist ever", I outgrow that 30 years ago, and while I think it's cool that 13 year old kids react the same way I did when I was 13 there is only so much fanboy/girl stuff I can stomach. And finally at the bottom of the barrel would be teenage girls(or worse 40's women acting like teenage girls) fawning over robert's bulge or hot pics of jimmy..I'll pass thank you.

I guess my point is everything that can be said about Zep already has been said, so unless something groundbreaking happens like a vault full of unrealesed stuff is found there isn't much of interest up there for me(making up a stupid caption or 2 notwithstanding). I'd much rather talk about cars, guitar technique, what you did on your last vacation, congrats on the new job, etc....

*edit* just kidding I'm actually a horrible troll but nobody wants to play with mebiggrin.gif

QFT.

This is exactly how I feel about it,especially the bolded parts.

Notchback 289 V8 w/auto tranny in white with blue interior. Condition? MINT ....I mean MINT condition.

It was a looker car for him as he was retired from building rods by then.

Nice.....I'm almost afraid to ask what else he's built...

That pic isn't showing up but I can imagine what it is.

You got a hell of alot of damn gall pointing fingers at anyone else if you resort to stunts like that

*edit* nice addition to your "body of work", duly noted and filed for future discernment

Edited by Festering Gob

Truthfully, I don't care if teenage girls fawn over Jimmy Page's ass or Robert Plant's bulge. If they want to do that and post their little hearts out in the respective threads......who cares? I mean, everyone is free to like or dislike who and what they want. Of all the things people post on this board every single day "ZOMG JIMMY PAGE IS HAWT!!!111!!" is probably the least offensive. I can understand how to some of our non-teenage members it can be annoying, but maybe they think when we talk about politics or social issues or cars or whatever the big topic around here is, THAT is annoying. It goes both ways.

QFT.

This is exactly how I feel about it,especially the bolded parts.

Nice.....I'm almost afraid to ask what else he's built...

Holy shit 59,you've read my mind.You seem to have that ability....Is that weird or what? :P Maybe it was that Festering Gob,we have our share of them here...

By the way, Chuck you Stevie.My profile shows how much you really love me. :)

I thought you had to answer a skill testing question to get the 'Double Secret Ignore'.

:whistling:

What?? I thought you get access to the 'eject' button after the skill testing question...pfft! And then isn't there the 'electric zap' button after that? I've only heard rumors about the upper echelon button...rarified air and all that...

But to speak to what Otto was discussing, I think when done right, there's a natural system of checks and balances here, and when even that doesn't work, the mods step in. So when a poster or posters get out of hand for whatever sort of inappropriateness, they get called on it. If it's legitimate, then it'll stand up to scrutiny, after all. If not, then that speaks for itself. Others get banned. Point being, you get a sense of posters based on how they adjust (or not) and you respond accordingly.

Truthfully, I don't care if teenage girls fawn over Jimmy Page's ass or Robert Plant's bulge. If they want to do that and post their little hearts out in the respective threads......who cares? I mean, everyone is free to like or dislike who and what they want. Of all the things people post on this board every single day "ZOMG JIMMY PAGE IS HAWT!!!111!!" is probably the least offensive. I can understand how to some of our non-teenage members it can be annoying, but maybe they think when we talk about politics or social issues or cars or whatever the big topic around here is, THAT is annoying. It goes both ways.

Didn't say I had a problem with any of that stuff, just that I have no interest in it. I like a little controversy, and even the occasional spat, I like when people are passionate about the positions they take. I mean I'm not gonna do anything drastic like jump off a building if somebody disagrees with me or feels the need to hurl insults. I tend to find alot of things really funny

Notchback 289 V8 w/auto tranny in white...

It was a looker ...

Sigmund Freud is in the house

Freudian slip?

Not on my end,or Hickory's for that matter....

However,I can't control anyone elses' reactions...:whistling:

Holy shit 59,you've read my mind.You seem to have that ability....Is that weird or what? :P Maybe it was that Festering Gob,we have our share of them here...

Yeah it is weird.....just one of those things,I guess....

B)

Edited by 59LesPaul

By the way, Chuck you Stevie.My profile shows how much you really love me. :)

He messages you on your profile to say that he got the mods to warn you?

:lol:

Saucer of milk...comin right up! :hysterical:

Notchback 289 V8 w/auto tranny in white...

It was a looker ...

freud.jpg

Sigmund Freud is in the house

You don't seriously think anyone believes that is the picture you originally posted, do you?

and even if it is that is in very poor taste

Edited by Festering Gob

Here's a random thought - I hope we have enough sugar for me to make raisin pie for Thanksgiving.

Edited by Electrophile

The warning was issued of their own accord. I merely documented it for future reference.

PJ Slocum?...PJ Slocum?...Has anyone seen PJ Slocum? Anyone? Anyone?

ben_stein_bueller_bueller_anyone.jpg

Hmmm... I doubt that, history is against you there... ;)

He messages you on your profile to say that he got the mods to warn you?

:lol:

Saucer of milk...comin right up! :hysterical:

Don't know what to make of the sorcerers scrawling.Maybe it's some kinda hoodoo! :P

Meow! Pffft!Pffft!

Here's a random thought - I hope we have enough sugar for me to make raisin pie for Thanksgiving.

Just let us know faux "homey"! ;) We'll hook you up if you don't.

Hmmm... I doubt that, history is against you there... wink.gif

Carry on doubting but those who matter around here (to me anyway) know it's the truth - as always.