Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

32 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

One of my favorites. OK, semantics game now. I said my fucking piece. Yes, I stand corrected, its a privilege, not a right, ok.   First amendment folks.  GC would have a lot to say about Trump and this shit show.  Hope his comments about Japanese internment don't go unheeded...perfectly pertinent right now. 

Edited by porgie66

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

That was very heartfelt Red, and I mean that sincerely. We may not always agree but I believe the world is a better place with you in it my friend.

Thank you, IpMan. I wasn't expecting that. :) I don't know what the future holds, but I always figured that if we survived World War 2 and the 60's then we will all be alright no matter what happens.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'll never be mistaken for powerless. Anyway, negation is not self-referential it is something that occurs within others. I mean seriously, just Google it and get a clue.

Ok, I did and it appears you are in error, or more accurately, not something which can be referenced to a person via a simple label or descriptor.

ne·ga·tion
nəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1
    the contradiction or denial of something.
    "there should be confirmation—or negation—of the findings"
    synonyms: denialcontradictionrepudiationrefutationrebuttalMore

•  

•  

•  

2. 2
    the absence or opposite of something actual or positive.
    "evil is not merely the negation of goodness"

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

Ok, I did and it appears you are in error, or more accurately, not something which can be referenced to a person via a simple label or descriptor.

ne·ga·tion
nəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1
    the contradiction or denial of something.
    "there should be confirmation—or negation—of the findings"
    •  
  2. 2
    the absence or opposite of something actual or positive.
    "evil is not merely the negation of goodness"

You are mistaken, again. Let's attempt to educate you further by examining negation within the context of Kierkegaard's philosophy:

Once you label someone you cancel out their own individuality and replace it within the boundaries of that label, so their individually has been restricted within that label and therefore, for all those who accept that label for that person they have no longer accepted that person for who they really are but understand them only to the limit of that label.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

You are mistaken, again. Let's attempt to educate you further by examining negation within the context of Kierkegaard's philosophy:

Once you label someone you cancel out their own individuality and replace it within the boundaries of that label, so their individually has been restricted within that label and therefore, for all those who accept that label for that person they have no longer accepted that person for who they really are but understand them only to the limit of that label.

That's one individuals delusional philosophy which, in the context of the word negation, makes no sense. So, what you believe is in essence a philosophers mistaken interpretation of a word for the benefit of his own viewpoint which is in of itself a reflection of the philosophers lack of self-esteem projected into a negative, and wrong, philosophy.

I am not negated by what you or anyone else uses to describe or "label" me, this negation falls squarely on MY shoulders alone. It is not a product of someone else or any other external factor, but in fact a product of my own opinion of myself. So, the accurate phrase would be, "If I label ME, I negate ME."

But hey, if that's your thing, good for you, however I nor anyone else has the power to negate anyone, at least not in the sense of Kierkegaard's philosophy.

Random thought of the day.......since I can't decide, shall I make this (unfinished painting of a) creature a hermaphrodite by adding a penis, or not?Alien2.jpg

Edited by reswati

I'm very happy with my Canon flatbed scanner. This is from an 18 year old 120 color negative. I also love how the scanner removes dust and scratches from the film. 

Boeing Museum Of Flight.

MUSEUM OF FLIGHT-5.jpg

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

That's one individuals delusional philosophy which, in the context of the word negation, makes no sense. So, what you believe is in essence a philosophers mistaken interpretation of a word for the benefit of his own viewpoint which is in of itself a reflection of the philosophers lack of self-esteem projected into a negative, and wrong, philosophy.

I am not negated by what you or anyone else uses to describe or "label" me, this negation falls squarely on MY shoulders alone. It is not a product of someone else or any other external factor, but in fact a product of my own opinion of myself. So, the accurate phrase would be, "If I label ME, I negate ME."

But hey, if that's your thing, good for you, however I nor anyone else has the power to negate anyone, at least not in the sense of Kierkegaard's philosophy.

Apparently a clear understanding of the subject matter -- Kierkegaard's philosophy on negation -- is beyond your grasp. Perhaps by way of example I can demonstrate his concept: Long ago I labeled you a leftist liberal know-it-all and as such anything you have put forward to me in the arena of ideas was/is filtered through that label. So as you can perhaps begin to see, you ARE negated by the negation which occurs within those who have labeled you. You seem to be confusing this with self-determination or sense of self. 

2 hours ago, redrum said:

I'm very happy with my Canon flatbed scanner. This is from an 18 year old 120 color negative. I also love how the scanner removes dust and scratches from the film. 

Boeing Museum Of Flight.

MUSEUM OF FLIGHT-5.jpg

Beautiful!  I've been there - but I'm sure my pictures aren't quite as lovely...

5 hours ago, ebk said:

Beautiful!  I've been there - but I'm sure my pictures aren't quite as lovely...

Thanks, ebk. The 120 film gets great detail. :)

1 hour ago, slave to zep said:

And off they go again.

Grow up.

Share your thoughts on negation or shut up and color. 

24 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I believe this topic is random thoughts? As such, Julie is expressing hers. Why should she "shut up"?

My post was merely providing another example of negation.

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Long ago I labeled you a leftist liberal know-it-all and as such anything you have put forward to me in the arena of ideas was/is filtered through that label. 

Thank you Steve, you just proved my point. It is not I who have been negated by your label, it is you who through your labeling have limited your scope and your understanding. As I said, you nor anyone else can negate me, nor can I negate another, however what I can do by using (and unilaterally embracing) a label is narrow my own field and thus reduce myself in the process. So, If you call a black person the N word, you have not negated that black person, you have simply placed your own thinking inside a very small and dark box. The black person just goes about his / her life not giving a shit about you, however through your own thought you have just imprisoned yourself and become a slave to the very label you chose to identify another.

Let's just say that at my house this weekend, it was the traditionalists vs. the modernists. 

I mean what the hell is wrong with helping people and working across teams for the good of an organization? Why the hell should it all be so bloody rigid? And what's wrong with doing a little volunteer work? Why should the world revolve around the act of being selfish? It is ridiculous and I refuse to change my way of thinking!! Just like there are so many older folks, who vehemently refuse to change with the times, I refuse to bow down to their demands and become a traditionalist! That is not who I am and that is not who I want to be! 

Ancient nobles showering
Their bitterness on youth
Can't we find
The minds that made us strong?
Oh can't we learn
To feel what's right and what's wrong? What's wrong?!

End of rant. 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

SteveAjones,

I think you'd have better luck trying to teach Mandarin to a chicken.........

Just pointing out a fundamental flaw in Kierkegaard's philosophy on negation. Since this is philosophy, my opinion is just as valid as anyone else. Its kinda like arguing about religion.

Anyway, I am done with this as though I attempt a civil discussion, I only receive insult and degradation in response. Too bad civil and intelligent debate is a dying form, as rhetoric used to be considered a very important subject in universities before they decided multi-billion dollar sports programs were more profitable for "non-profit" institutions.

Anyway...lunchtime :thumbsup:

Edited by IpMan

5 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

SteveAjones,

I think you'd have better luck trying to teach Mandarin to a chicken.........

Pretty much. Did you see how he flipped the script to suggest it's the black guy who doesn't concern himself with me and that I'm imprisoned? I swear, they must be sending these people to the same indoctrination centers or they're all wearing the same school tie. Good grief.

For a dear, artistic friend who always was funny, articulate and honest. Unlike some racist,homophobic bigots whose views on humanity would get them locked up. Best place for them I say.