Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

14 hours ago, IpMan said:

l

Happy Day everyone...

Edited by IpMan

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

You are more likely to be home invaded by the police by accident than a criminal statistically speaking.

Hmm, probably about the same odds as being killed in a mass shooting, statistically speaking

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Hmm, probably about the same odds as being killed in a mass shooting, statistically speaking

Apples to oranges Gaijin

22 hours ago, IpMan said:

Which has nothing to do with my argument, which is, the Whiskey Rebellion PROVED the idea that an armed citizenry could protect itself, much less over throw a tyrannical government was wrong and ridiculous.

Wasn't really trying to rebut your argument, just wanted to point out that the Whiskey Rebellion was actually widespread and successful, for it eventually forced the federal government to repeal the excise tax.

5 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Wasn't really trying to rebut your argument, just wanted to point out that the Whiskey Rebellion was actually widespread and successful, for it eventually forced the federal government to repeal the excise tax.

Yes, Jefferson repealed the tax, but not before the Washington & Adam's Administration arrested and jailed more than 175 distillers. It was not the armed part that forced the repeal of the tax, it was the fact that most distillers went to ground and made the tax uncollectible. The use of guns actually worked against their cause, another irony.

Edited by IpMan

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

The use of guns actually worked against their cause, another irony.

Would you say the same thing about the slave rebellions and uprisings?

4 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Would you say the same thing about the slave rebellions and uprisings?

That would more tricky to quantify as they all failed. Most slave uprisings did not use firearms but rather farm implements and the like, even the famous Southampton Rebellion (Nat Turner's Rebellion) of 1831 did not use firearms. I assume if they did they playing field would have been more equal but would still have been doomed to failure. The problem is, they were African living in a white nation, the only way for a slave rebellion to have actually succeeded would have been for the slaves to immediately leave for either Canada or the Indian Territories. Neither of which ever happened.

Unless I completely missed your point (likely) and you meant was the 2nd Amendment successful in stopping slave rebellions, in which case yes indeed. A resounding yes indeed at that, at least insofar as the speed and efficiency of putting down the slave rebellions but ultimately, geography played the greatest deterrent to any slave rebellion in the US. 

On 3/31/2018 at 5:13 AM, cryingbluerain said:

Duly noted.  Lots of Adolf wannabes out there trying to change the world don't ya know..

29512562_10214689247452269_8326856924703

On 4/1/2018 at 5:46 AM, SteveAJones said:

What's with all these school walkouts? American students are stupid enough as it is, they don't need to be skipping class. Besides, none of these events ever amount to anything more than pointless selfie parades. I mean, it's a laundry detergent commercial, then it's walk out coverage, and then it's lease a new Ford Focus for $299 a month. Who really gives a shit about any of it? That's time that could be spent listening to the Palette cd by IU, among other things.

Ah yes. Let's demonize and blame the kids. It's all their fault. :rolleyes:

How sad.

One of the best things I read all weekend was from Robert Jenkins:

"Millennials can’t be the problem because they aren’t even old enough to be in charge. 

You need to be 30 to be in The Senate. You need to be 35 to be President. 

We didn’t pass these shitty laws. We didn’t shut down the government. We didn’t take money from lobbyists. We didn’t send all these people to war for no reason. We didn’t slash the government, slash regulations, or constantly try to control women’s bodies. We didn’t decide Citizens United. We didn’t cut taxes for all these rich fucks. 

Old politicians did all that dumb shit and shitty ass old people voted for that dumb shit. All this is their fucking fault, because they’ve been nothing but greedy fucking pigs. 

So, when you see these old muthafuckas complain about us, recognize it for what it is - they had control of the most powerful nation in the history of the World and this is what they’ve done with it. They’re embarrassed because we’ve pulled their fucking card and we won’t be quiet about how they’ve FUCKED UP EVERYTHING. 

EVERYTHING. 

EVERYTHING."

I just can't get behind criticising kids for being mad and scared because their school got shot up and their friends got killed.  It seems really petty.

Plus it was OUR responsibility to keep them safe AND WE FAILED! They have an absolute right to be pissed and demand change. 

All they are asking for is some common sense restrictions on gun possession, like a national registry of people who have lost their right to have a firearm or limits of ten rounds per clip.

If you can't argue with their ideas then don't fall back on attacking their character, that's called an ad hominem and is considered illogical.

These kids were wronged by David Israel and the local FBI offices. I can get into the details if you'd like or you can look it up. This psychopath had reported to his teachers that he was having dreams of walking down the halls dripping in his classmates blood. Had been reported to the police over 30 times. Changing the rights of 300+ million law abiding citizens because of this would be the most irrational, irresponsible, and frankly idiotic response I can think of. These children were failed by those in charge to protect, them, as you say Chef Free. Not me, not you, but the authorities in that town.

I am not saying you have to agree with these kids. I am just saying engage with them on the issues. If you don't like their idea, suggest an alternative. The way to fight an idea is with a better one.

But I am sick of the smearing of an entire generation as pod-eaters, self-entitled brats, puppets/actors of the deep state, and other paranoid conspiracies promoted by the likes of Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Rush Limbaugh, and the other rabid attack dogs...and the people on the internet who parrot their hate.

The future of the world are people like Kiwi Zep Fan and Sathington Willoughby, not Steve A. Jones and myself. Frankly, the world will be better for it.

Edited by Strider

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I am not saying you have to agree with these kids. I am just saying engage with them on the issues. If you don't like their idea, suggest an alternative. The way to fight an idea is with a better one.

But I am sick of the smearing of an entire generation as pod-eaters, self-entitled brats, puppets/actors of the deep state, and other paranoid conspiracies promoted by the likes of Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Rush Limbaugh, and the other rabid attack dogs...and the people on the internet who parrot their hate.

The future of the world are people like Kiwi Zep Fan and Sathington Willoughby, not Steve A. Jones and myself. Frankly, the world will be better for it.

I'm not sure that the world will be better for it.

Edited by paplbojo

If young people want to be treated like adults they have to act like it. I absolutely think they should be engaged. At 18 you should be ready for the world...

This kid is an asshole. I feel horrible that he witnessed such a tragedy and no one should ever have to be witness to something like what he saw. But this guy comes across as being an ignorant jerk.

Just listen to the first five seconds of the above vid. He is not intelligent, he is attempting to create chaos. I do not believe he is motivated by truly caring for those who died. He does not act like it or talk like it. 

I wish the cameras would focus on those at that high school who do, of which I am sure there are plenty. 

52 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

If young people want to be treated like adults they have to act like it. I absolutely think they should be engaged. At 18 you should be ready for the world...

This kid is an asshole. I feel horrible that he witnessed such a tragedy and no one should ever have to be witness to something like what he saw. But this guy comes across as being an ignorant jerk.

Just listen to the first five seconds of the above vid. He is not intelligent, he is attempting to create chaos. I do not believe he is motivated by truly caring for those who died. He does not act like it or talk like it. 

I wish the cameras would focus on those at that high school who do, of which I am sure there are plenty. 

That is the same sad excuse which was used on the likes of civil right's leaders, the Panthers, and anyone else who had been oppressed to the point of being hunted down and killed and the best you can respond with is you don't like their tone or anger? The fact they have reached a breaking point and pushed beyond thus is considered a very, very normal response. Not everyone has the peace of heart and tranquility in the face of overwhelming oppression and death as a Dr. King (who was smeared and threatened by the FBI), or a Ghandi. Those were exceptional people and look where their pacivity got them. Death, a cold, damp hole in the ground. These kids are not inciting violence however they are pissed off and have every right to be, just like others before them.

If your only argument is that they did not ask, "oh please sir, pretty please, I beg you sir, we will do anything sir," then congratulations, because you are now using the excuse of either a sociopath or a petty geezer, upset that his / her grip on power is slowly slipping away.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

That is the same sad excuse which was used on the likes of civil right's leaders, the Panthers, and anyone else who had been oppressed to the point of being hunted down and killed and the best you can respond with is you don't like their tone or anger? The fact they have reached a breaking point and pushed beyond thus is considered a very, very normal response. Not everyone has the peace of heart and tranquility in the face of overwhelming oppression and death as a Dr. King (who was smeared and threatened by the FBI), or a Ghandi. Those were exceptional people and look where their pacivity got them. Death, a cold, damp hole in the ground. These kids are not inciting violence however they are pissed off and have every right to be, just like others before them.

If your only argument is that they did not ask, "oh please sir, pretty please, I beg you sir, we will do anything sir," then congratulations, because you are now using the excuse of either a sociopath or a petty geezer, upset that his / her grip on power is slowly slipping away.

You misunderstand. It is not how they are saying it that I find repulsive. It is what they are saying that is absolutely shameless. They have every right to be upset and angry, but experiencing tragedy does not automatically absolve you of any responsibility to be moral. What he says is disgusting. He is saying that anyone who supports the second amendment has blood on their hands. If you agree with that statement then I don't believe you see clearly.

EDIT: I amend one thing. I do dislike how he says it too. I think trying to show your outrage by talking like that does not make you seem any more outraged. But, that is not what caused me to dislike him and does not disqualify his arguments. The morbidity and ignorance of his arguments take care of that. Apparently I do not care about dead children. Takes a sociopath (lack of conscious) to say that.

Edited by paplbojo

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Thanks, Sean. That means a lot. The future definitely welcomes you. That other guy you mentioned, not so much... :lol:;)

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

2 hours ago, paplbojo said:

You misunderstand. It is not how they are saying it that I find repulsive. It is what they are saying that is absolutely shameless. They have every right to be upset and angry, but experiencing tragedy does not automatically absolve you of any responsibility to be moral. What he says is disgusting. He is saying that anyone who supports the second amendment has blood on their hands. If you agree with that statement then I don't believe you see clearly.

EDIT: I amend one thing. I do dislike how he says it too. I think trying to show your outrage by talking like that does not make you seem any more outraged. But, that is not what caused me to dislike him and does not disqualify his arguments. The morbidity and ignorance of his arguments take care of that. Apparently I do not care about dead children. Takes a sociopath (lack of conscious) to say that.

The unfortunate thing is, as shown on this very forum, is most people run in extremes. Only a jackass would post a picture of that kid as Hitler, sorry, but that is how I feel. Equating some guy who says things you do not like with a man responsible for the deaths of over 6 million Jews, 4 million Slavs, Ukrainians, Gypsies, and Homosexuals, plus an additional 25 million combat deaths is crazy.

Sure, I may not agree with everything the kid said but, at least he is a kid, what is the excuse for the adult posting a juxtaposition with Hitler?

From Ludwigs to Drum Works.

Pressed Rat and Warthog
Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shop.
They didn't want to, 'twas all they had got.
Selling atonal apples, amplified heat,
And Pressed Rat's collection of dog legs and feet.
Sadly they left, telling no one goodbye.
Pressed Rat wore red jodhpurs, Warthog a striped tie.
Between them they carried a three-legged sack,
Went straight round the corner and never came back.
The bad captain madman had ordered their fate.
He laughed and stomped off with a nautical gate.
The gate turned into a deroga tree,
And his peg-leg got woodworm and broke into three.
Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shop.
They didn't want to, 'twas all they had got.
Selling atonal apples, amplified heat,
And Pressed Rats collection of dog legs and feet.

15 hours ago, Strider said:

"Millennials can’t be the problem because they aren’t even old enough to be in charge. 

One doesn't have to be in charge to be a contributing factor to a problem.

14 hours ago, chef free said:

Plus it was OUR responsibility to keep them safe AND WE FAILED! They have an absolute right to be pissed and demand change. 

All they are asking for is some common sense restrictions on gun possession, like a national registry of people who have lost their right to have a firearm or limits of ten rounds per clip.

No, it wasn't my responsibility to keep them safe. I did not fail them. National firearm registries and clip restrictions are not common sense measures, they are unconstitutional measures.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

That's your opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

11 hours ago, IpMan said:

Ok, so they survived a school shooting. The appropriate, measured response for the genuinely traumatized is to consult with grief counselors. Instead, we get insufferable leftist poster children insisting upon infringement and forfeiture of an inalienable right. They're pissed off?! Take a fucking number and stand in line. The odds of being involved in a school shooting are infinitesimal, yet that self-important media whore David Hogg says he wants to see his entire generation defined by the one he experienced. To which I say get over your fucking selves.