Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

6 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Surprised there hasn't been a mention of Alfie Evans...not a good look for state-run healthcare. 

Sorry but you are wrong, the NHS did all they could for Alfie Evans. Continuing Alfie's care was futile he had a degenerative brain disease, his brain had wasted to almost nothing. Sadly the decision to remove palliative care was the right one. 

40 minutes ago, JTM said:

Sorry but you are wrong, the NHS did all they could for Alfie Evans. Continuing Alfie's care was futile he had a degenerative brain disease, his brain had wasted to almost nothing. Sadly the decision to remove palliative care was the right one. 

The parents wanted to take him to Italy to try experimental treatment. Italy had given him citizenship so they could try. The state said no, removed him from life support and simultaneously would not allow the parents to take him to Italy. I think it was an atrocity. Whether or not you think the child was going to die anyways is unimportant, the question is who is in charge of a baby in England, the parents of the child or the State.

Edited by paplbojo

8 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

I don't watch television, but heard a big wedding is coming.

Who cares if an English Prince wants to marry Merkel. Maybe it will bring better ties between the countries. :)

I don't care at all.

I am revolted by the idea of royalty by birth.

9 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

Who cares if an English Prince wants to marry Merkel. Maybe it will bring better ties between the countries. :)

Nah. Prince Harry doesn't have an ounce of gravitas in him. The lad's just a softhearted goofball. Marrying an older woman may force him to grow up a bit, but that's all. I'm only interested to see if she is given the title HRH, though I highly doubt she will be.

39 minutes ago, slave to zep said:

I don't care at all. I am revolted by the idea of royalty by birth.

Prince Harry finds your post rather hurtful. He'd like you to reconsider your viewpoint.

That poor kid, his parents are the only ones who should make any decisions regarding his health. State run medicine is an abomination, they ruin everything they touch. The government could take over a whorehouse on land they already owned and still lose money. Government has no business deciding the fate of people's children, that should alway's fall to the parents.

8 minutes ago, mknopfler said:

That poor kid, his parents are the only ones who should make any decisions regarding his health. State run medicine is an abomination, they ruin everything they touch. The government could take over a whorehouse on land they already owned and still lose money. Government has no business deciding the fate of people's children, that should alway's fall to the parents.

While I agree that the parents should have the ultimate, final care regarding the healthcare of their child, the rest of your post is simply uninformed and ridiculous. Have you ever experienced a state run health system? Maybe it is not perfect but it is a far cry better than what we have in the US which is considered one of the most expensive, least efficient systems in the world. In fact, Infant mortality rates are skyrocketing in the US where in those countries with state run systems infant mortality is plummeting:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/24/infographic-u-s-health-care-compared-to-the-rest-of-the-world-not-pretty-trump-care-paul-ryan-affordable-healthcare-act/

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/the-16-countries-with-the-worlds-best-healthcare-systems-2017-1/

There is some undeniable link between the number 49 and Earth's moon. I found this article about some of those facts, but it isn't the same article that I read years ago.

https://www.factretriever.com/moon-facts

Theories that the moon is hollow or that Star Wars prophesized that the moon is an alien base (represented by the death star) have been circulating for decades. Do I believe em? I don't want to, but movies don't lie.

There's tons of intriguing mathematical harmonies within our solar system that scientists aren't seeing so far with exoplanet systems. For example : all of X bodies are x/X distance in a x.xXx angle in relation to eachother, causing X to exist in certain formulas in all measurements in the solar system. But, in all exoplanetary systems these formulae do not exist. That leads me to think that life exists here within a harmonious formulae of probability that extends beyond what traditionally scientists have officially recognized.

Some things do however jive with the solar system such as larger planets out and smaller planets in. (in a percentage of cases)

Here's another link.

https://redd.it/1ugs5u

4 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Whether or not you think the child was going to die anyways is unimportant, the question is who is in charge of a baby in England, the parents of the child or the State.

That is how I viewed this story from over here - but I will admit at a great distance with only one news report. There no doubt is more to it, but yeah, that's the underpinning question for sure.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

While I agree that the parents should have the ultimate, final care regarding the healthcare of their child, the rest of your post is simply uninformed and ridiculous. Have you ever experienced a state run health system? Maybe it is not perfect but it is a far cry better than what we have in the US which is considered one of the most expensive, least efficient systems in the world. In fact, Infant mortality rates are skyrocketing in the US where in those countries with state run systems infant mortality is plummeting.

Pull the other one. An argument substantiated by two links to overtly-biased political hit pieces is a poorly substantiated argument. Inevitable apples to oranges comparison to Scandanavia in 3, 2, 1...

You want to know why the infant mortality rate is rising in the United States? It isn't because of the world's finest health care system. It is because for the last 30+ years the abysmal public education system has been mass producing some of the most ignorant, obese, immoral mammals on the planet. Add to that out of control immigration and you get a skyrocketing infant mortality rate.

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

While I agree that the parents should have the ultimate, final care regarding the healthcare of their child, the rest of your post is simply uninformed and ridiculous. Have you ever experienced a state run health system? Maybe it is not perfect but it is a far cry better than what we have in the US which is considered one of the most expensive, least efficient systems in the world. In fact, Infant mortality rates are skyrocketing in the US where in those countries with state run systems infant mortality is plummeting:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/24/infographic-u-s-health-care-compared-to-the-rest-of-the-world-not-pretty-trump-care-paul-ryan-affordable-healthcare-act/

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/the-16-countries-with-the-worlds-best-healthcare-systems-2017-1/

Everything you said is a lie. Stop spewing propaganda on this site it's disgusting.

8 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

I see the gun laws are working in Texas 

Yes, as this is considered unlawful possession and illegal use of firearms. Laws can merely define crimes, they'll never prevent them.

10 hours ago, paplbojo said:

The parents wanted to take him to Italy to try experimental treatment. Italy had given him citizenship so they could try. The state said no, removed him from life support and simultaneously would not allow the parents to take him to Italy. I think it was an atrocity. Whether or not you think the child was going to die anyways is unimportant, the question is who is in charge of a baby in England, the parents of the child or the State.

I know what happened, the story was on the local news everyday for months. There was no hope of recovery, continuing care was pointless. It was not the state that removed Alfie's care it was the opinion of health care experts. If it had been my child I would have asked for the care to have been removed months ago. This may sound harsh but there is no point in trying to give life to a "cabbage". 

7 hours ago, mknopfler said:

You don't know what you are talking about. We have a fantastic health care system. My son for example he is type 1 diabetic he gets free insulin, he was recently extremely ill, he now needs a kidney transplant and is on the list for a double Kidney and Pancreas transplant that will be free too, so while he is waiting for that he is on  Kidney Dialysys three times  a week also free. 

Edited by JTM

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I know what happened, the story was on the local news everyday for months. There was no hope of recovery, continuing care was pointless. It was not the state that removed Alfie's care it was the opinion of health care experts. If it had been my child I would have asked for the care to have been removed months ago. This may sound harsh but there is no point in trying to give life to a "cabbage". 

I say again, it is not a question about hope for recovery. It is a question about who calls the shots. The parents were literally physically prevented from taking the child they brought into this world out of the hospital and to Italy, where the baby had been made a citizen and doctors were ready to go on standby to try experimental treatment. The parents wanted to do it as they said life is worth fighting for. That the NHS simultaneously said no and would not allow the baby to leave the hospital while removing life support and saying "there is nothing more we can do" could be the plot of a horror movie, or an action movie in which the father breaks in guns blazing to get his boy. Guess who people watching that film would be rooting for.

Just to further show how little the doctors, or health care experts as you put it, knew about the disease, the doctors who were making the call said the baby would only live a couple hours after life support was removed. Evans lived another few days. Sounds like a fighter. 

1 hour ago, JTM said:

free insulin, 

be free too, 

also free. 

First, I am very happy that your kid is getting the help he needs, and I wish him all the very best. I hope he has a successful surgery and full recovery.

I will also say that, as has been mentioned many times, in many ways, in many places, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Your neighbors are paying for it. 

14 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

I say again, it is not a question about hope for recovery. It is a question about who calls the shots. The parents were literally physically prevented from taking the child they brought into this world out of the hospital and to Italy, where the baby had been made a citizen and doctors were ready to go on standby to try experimental treatment. The parents wanted to do it as they said life is worth fighting for. That the NHS simultaneously said no and would not allow the baby to leave the hospital while removing life support and saying "there is nothing more we can do" could be the plot of a horror movie, or an action movie in which the father breaks in guns blazing to get his boy. Guess who people watching that film would be rooting for.

Just to further show how little the doctors, or health care experts as you put it, knew about the disease, the doctors who were making the call said the baby would only live a couple hours after life support was removed. Evans lived another few days. Sounds like a fighter. 

First, I am very happy that your kid is getting the help he needs, and I wish him all the very best. I hope he has a successful surgery and full recovery.

I will also say that, as has been mentioned many times, in many ways, in many places, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Your neighbors are paying for it. 

Think what you like, I'm finished with this.

Why am I watching this first Millennial Royal Wedding? The groom just showed up unshaven. The bride wants to walk herself down the isle to prove what a progressive, modern woman she is. This thing is starting to make me nauseous.  

Thank heavens Prince Phillip just arrived. That old boy proudly representing the Old School. Love that guy.

50 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Why am I watching this first Millennial Royal Wedding? The groom just showed up unshaven. The bride wants to walk herself down the isle to prove what a progressive, modern woman she is. This thing is starting to make me nauseous.  

Come on admit it Steve, you're a secret royalist 😉

Edited by JTM

8 minutes ago, JTM said:

Come on admit it Steve, you're a secret loyalist 😉

Not particularly so. I certainly believe hierarchies are essential to maintaining social order, and that they yield the best possible outcomes.

The nuclear family remains the most important one of all.