Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, SteveAJones said:

Then we can agree it shouldn't be funded at taxpayer's expense.

Good for you because it is not. There is strict language in the law (Hyde Amendment 1976) which provides funding to Planned Parenthood and other womens' clinics that funds MUST be used for women services only and cannot be used for abortion services except under the following extreme circumstance: Rape, incest, or pregnancy may endanger woman's life. So, do you believe a poor woman who was raped, or a woman of which the pregnancy may be dangerous should be forced to have the child as this is a non question for women of means? Should the poor be held to a different standard than the well off?

Congratulations!!! You got your wish (even though it has always been that way. Semantics right).

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Good for you because it is not. There is strict language in the law (Hyde Amendment 1976) which provides funding to Planned Parenthood and other womens' clinics that funds MUST be used for women services only and cannot be used for abortion services except under the following extreme circumstance: Rape, incest, or pregnancy may endanger woman's life. So, do you believe a poor woman who was raped, or a woman of which the pregnancy may be dangerous should be forced to have the child as this is a non question for women of means? Should the poor be held to a different standard than the well off?

Congratulations!!! You got your wish (even though it has always been that way. Semantics right).

Then we can agree it shouldn't be funded at taxpayer's expense.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:39 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

So, do you believe a poor woman who was raped, or a woman of which the pregnancy may be dangerous should be forced to have the child as this is a non question for women of means? Should the poor be held to a different standard than the well off?

I believe that being poor is a choice here in most of the western democracies, and as such choices have consequences.

unnamed.png?format=1500w

Hello!

Just wanted to drop a line and say I hope that 2019 brings you all the best. I haven't been here in ages! Still listening to the music. I miss so many of you here. 

Stay well,

Deb 

49 minutes ago, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Just wanted to drop a line and say I hope that 2019 brings you all the best. I haven't been here in ages! Still listening to the music. I miss so many of you here. 

Stay well,

Deb 

So nice to hear from you again Ms J.

Happy New Year!

Please come back and play sometime... you are missed around here.

Kipper

51 minutes ago, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Stay well,

Deb 

Miss you too Deborah! A happy and healthy 2019 to you too. Glad you stopped in to say hello.

🏼❤️🤘🏼

4 hours ago, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Stay well,

Deb 

Happy New Year Deb!!  Hope it's good to you.  

5 hours ago, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Stay well,

Deb 

Hi Deb,

Wishing you all the best for 2019 too!

Kind regards

:drinks:

8 hours ago, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Stay well,

Deb 

Hello Deborah J! Miss talking about Led Zeppelin and Paul Rodgers/Bad Co with you! Hope you have a nice 2019!

9 hours ago, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Stay well,

Deb 

Hi Debs  xo

Same to you!

^ Hello Madame Slave,

Great to see you too.

:wave:

Posted (edited)
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, kipper said:

I believe that being poor is a choice here in most of the western democracies, and as such choices have consequences.

unnamed.png?format=1500w

As a very successful person, I could not agree less. Hard work and determination will only get you to the starting gate, if you are lucky. The only way to be truly successful is through serious networking, glad-handing, and downright Puffery (sucking up). I tell my kids this all the time, to meet the right people and foster those relationships.

It does not matter what you know, how good you are, or how hard you work, all of that is irrelevant in todays market. It all comes down to one thing and one thing only, who you know. You meet and befriend the right people, you can be a completely useless piece of crap and I guarantee you will do very, very well.

I don't even want to get into the difficulties one has when born poor and trying to improve ones station as in the US that possibility is near impossible the way the system is currently constructed.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

As a very successful person, I could not agree less. Hard work and determination will only get you to the starting gate, if you are lucky. The only way to be truly successful is through serious networking, glad-handing, and downright Puffery (sucking up). I tell my kids this all the time, to meet the right people and foster those relationships.

It does not matter what you know, how good you are, or how hard you work, all of that is irrelevant in todays market. It all comes down to one thing and one thing only, who you know. You meet and befriend the right people, you can be a completely useless piece of crap and I guarantee you will do very, very well.

I don't even want to get into the difficulties one has when born poor and trying to improve ones station as in the US that possibility is near impossible the way the system is currently constructed.

I don't know Peacefrog.  I see a lot of people in the U.S. having done pretty darn well without connections, without a leg up, usually just because they did not shoot themselves in the foot right out of the gate. 

For every person I meet who claims the deck is stacked against them by "the system", I usually can point a long of list or poor choices they made that put them at less than a competitive edge.  Drugs, unplanned pregnancies, credit card debt, failure to appreciate the benefits of delayed gratification, and just not seizing upon opportunities when they are presented being at the top of the list.  For the life of me I don't see how anyone in America who isn't handicapped or cognitively impaired at least not making it to the middle class, and doing so quite easily. America truley is a land of opportunity, which is why so many wish to come here.

In terms of "luck" I don't know if I believe in it---- unless of course it is bad luck like being hit by lightning. Otherwise everyone has the freewill to make their own good luck.

10 hours ago, Ross62 said:

^ Hello Madame Slave,

Great to see you too.

:wave:

Hi there! ☺

Posted (edited)

Putting away the indoor/outdoor holiday decorations isn’t as fun as putting them up!  At least the tree was easier to manage, after 5 weeks of beauty! 

Edited by Walter

On 1/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, Deborah J said:

Hello!

Stay well,

Deb 

Deborah J! Well what a nice surprise to hear from ya! Happy new year, and glad you're still kickin'!

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Putting away the indoor/outdoor holiday decorations isn’t as fun as putting them up!  At least the tree was easier to manage, after 5 weeks of beauty! 

We only had a reef on the door. It's pretty much dried out now.

24 minutes ago, redrum said:

We only had a reef on the door. It's pretty much dried out now.

Sometimes simple is better. Hope you enjoyed it! ✌🏼

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Sometimes simple is better. Hope you enjoyed it! ✌🏼

It was nice. Our neighbor had those 'liquid lights.' Really pretty.

21 hours ago, kipper said:

I don't know Peacefrog.  I see a lot of people in the U.S. having done pretty darn well without connections, without a leg up, usually just because they did not shoot themselves in the foot right out of the gate. 

For every person I meet who claims the deck is stacked against them by "the system", I usually can point a long of list or poor choices they made that put them at less than a competitive edge.  Drugs, unplanned pregnancies, credit card debt, failure to appreciate the benefits of delayed gratification, and just not seizing upon opportunities when they are presented being at the top of the list.  For the life of me I don't see how anyone in America who isn't handicapped or cognitively impaired at least not making it to the middle class, and doing so quite easily. America truley is a land of opportunity, which is why so many wish to come here.

In terms of "luck" I don't know if I believe in it---- unless of course it is bad luck like being hit by lightning. Otherwise everyone has the freewill to make their own good luck.

My apologies as I did not communicate my point correctly as I was referring to becoming wealthy, upper-middle class or better. Yes, making it to the middle class is achievable as you mentioned but rising above that particular station is all but impossible in the US the way the system is currently set up.

9 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

My apologies as I did not communicate my point correctly as I was referring to becoming wealthy, upper-middle class or better. Yes, making it to the middle class is achievable as you mentioned but rising above that particular station is all but impossible in the US the way the system is currently set up.

We can agree to disagree. I still say it just takes extra determination and a lot of sweat---- really the way it has always been.   Too many people conditioned to expect "the system"--- or the government to figure things out for them, when what it really takes is a willingness to scratch and claw to the top. 

I see a lot of Asian immigrants in my area doing just that; scratching and clawing to the top.  I also see a lot of generational complacency in others waiting for "the system" to dole out their next serving of entitlements.

Call me an economic Darwinist, but when it comes to success, failure is not an option. And nothing wrong with standing on the head and shoulders of those willing to take the minimum expectations as their serving.

As John Lennon once said, "To the top!"

Peace

Kipper

After a 3 day power outtage and suffering with a small generator, I went out and bought a 4000 watt Briggs & Stratton today for $650. Had to wait a bit as they had a run on the generators. The winter winds here can be nasty. It was also very frustrating to go into town where everyone had power and we were in the dark up on the hill.😣

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, kipper said:

We can agree to disagree. I still say it just takes extra determination and a lot of sweat---- really the way it has always been.   Too many people conditioned to expect "the system"--- or the government to figure things out for them, when what it really takes is a willingness to scratch and claw to the top. 

I see a lot of Asian immigrants in my area doing just that; scratching and clawing to the top.  I also see a lot of generational complacency in others waiting for "the system" to dole out their next serving of entitlements.

Call me an economic Darwinist, but when it comes to success, failure is not an option. And nothing wrong with standing on the head and shoulders of those willing to take the minimum expectations as their serving.

As John Lennon once said, "To the top!"

Peace

Kipper

Most Asians don't have to claw their way to anything in the US due to current immigration laws which list China, South Korea, and Japan as favored nations. As a result, when a Chinese immigrant arrives they can apply, and almost always receive, a $500,000 grant from the US government to open a business. Plus they get 7 years tax free on that business as well. This is why you see so many Asian run business. When you don't have to make the initial investment or pay taxes, it's pretty easy to set up shop. This is a perk no American citizen has. I found out about this from a good friend from HS who married a Chinese national and informed me of this bullshit. I did not believe him so I researched it and he was right, I could not believe it! He then told me his wife and her family constantly talked shit about the patrons in Mandarin. He eventually confronted her on her getting a free ride essentially and how she was biting the hand the was feeding her and her family. They are divorced now.

So, food for thought, according to my friend when you go to Asian restaurants and you hear them talking in their native language and laughing, there is an 80% chance they are talking shit about you or another patron.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Most Asians don't have to claw their way to anything in the US due to current immigration laws which list China, South Korea, and Japan as favored nations. As a result, when a Chinese immigrant arrives they can apply, and almost always receive, a $500,000 grant from the US government to open a business. Plus they get 7 years tax free on that business as well. This is why you see so many Asian run business. When you don't have to make the initial investment or pay taxes, it's pretty easy to set up shop. This is a perk no American citizen has. I found out about this from a good friend from HS who married a Chinese national and informed me of this bullshit. I did not believe him so I researched it and he was right, I could not believe it! He then told me his wife and her family constantly talked shit about the patrons in Mandarin. He eventually confronted her on her getting a free ride essentially and how she was biting the hand the was feeding her and her family. They are divorced now.

So, food for thought, according to my friend when you go to Asian restaurants and you hear them talking in their native language and laughing, there is an 80% chance they are talking shit about you or another patron.

If you are referring to EB-5 visas, which grant residency to immigrants who invest at least half a million dollars in the U.S. and create or save no less than 10 jobs, then perhaps you are confused.

The EB-5 visa is issued in exchange for a $500,000 investment that creates or saves 10 American jobs. It is NOT a government grant, quite the contrary.

On average, 85% of EB-5 visas are issued to Chinese nationals, the remainder primarily issued to citizens of Vietnam, India, Hong Kong, Egypt and Brazil. Approximately, 9,700 EB-5 visas are issued annually.