Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

Recommended Posts

On 3/30/2019 at 6:10 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Are you people serious regarding Smollett? Comparing to Manson? Give me a break, talk about hyperbole. Jussie is just some asshole who had a couple of Empire extras knock him around a bit as a publicity stunt to garner a pay raise. Nothing more, nothing less. Was Morton Downey jr trying to ignite a race war when he pulled his stupid stunt? Nope, nor did any accuse him of such idiocy because Downey, like Smollett, was just trying to get ratings and money. Neither of these clowns were smart enough to incite even a minor tussle at a local car wash much less a race war. However as Downey was white no one mentioned race war.

Just as angry white guys saw Downey for what he was back in the 90's, the African-American community sees Smollett as a jackass and stain as well.

Smollett is guilty of filing a false police report and using contemporary issues and bias for his own purpose, nothing more, nothing less. In other words, being a childish, selfish asshole. Should he have been punished to a greater degree? I do believe he should damn well pay the city of Chicago back for the police hours accrued and issue a public apology but anything beyond that is partisan posturing and a waste of time and further resources.

Fake threatening mail to one's self? The Postal System is one that should be trusted, not abused. Would you agree? That would an offense based on the federal government of those States.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Hi Kip

I only brought up hunting as an example regarding modern society. Of course everyone hunted during the 18th century or they starved so that is a non-issue. However, in the 21st century it is completely different. No one, not even a large group of organized citizens, could overthrow the government through force or use of arms or even mount any time of capable resistance so that argument is moot and ridiculous. The only other reasons to own a gun are for hunting, home defense, and collecting. If a person wants to own a gun, fine, I have no problem with that however there is absolutely no reason for any non-military person to own an assault rifle or a gun capable of firing more than 8 rounds without reloading. If you are hunting you get one shot only at your prey and if you miss they are gone, you don't spray the whole forest. If someone breaks into your home and you start spraying bullets, you will likely kill a family member instead of the perp, again, a standard six shooter is more than enough to defend your home. Finally, under no circumstance should ANYBODY be allowed to carry a gun in public, period. This is without a doubt the most common sense position regarding the subject. Citizens are not cops and should not be armed in public. The last time a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun, the good guy was shot and killed by the police while the bad guy lived as the good guy did not shoot him, just detained him. Cops said, whoops, how were we supposed to know which was which? Exactly, they can't.

You know, if everyone else is doing one thing with success and you are doing another and failing, maybe everyone else is doing it right and you are in error. No other country has this problem with shootings like we in the US do, it's not particle physics, it's pretty common sense. Shure, guns don't kill people by themselves, it's the idiots with the guns that do. If people are gonna act like stupid children, they need to be treated as such unfortunately. If people cannot be responsible, they should not have a gun, simple as that. 

The fact we are having such a moronic argument (the argument, not you Kip) as a society, in the 21st century is just silly. Times change and those changes need to be reflected in law and regulation. Let's take the 13th Amendment as an example. The 13th needs a serious update as it allows slavery under the circumstance of incarceration. Under NO circumstance should a person be forced into servitude, prisons should be there to rehabilitate, not to make sweet cash for the prison as no contractor can compete with free labor.

IMO, a Continental Congress should be called and the whole of the Bill of Right's should be gone through, necessary edits and updates made as per the original direction of the founding fathers.

Fact is, if one really thinks about it, the 2nd amendment, insofar as 21st century society is concerned, is a joke as every single reason for it, with the exception of home protection, no longer exists. We do not have to worry about slave revolts, foreign invasion, or overthrowing a tyrannical government. Hunting, collecting, and personal, home protection are the only reasons to own a gun and under any of those scenario does a person need a military grade weapon or a weapon which holds more than 8 rounds, nor do they need to carry in public.

PeaceFrog,

You continue to pursue lines of argument which are without logical support. First of all the term "assault rifle" is not correctly used. The first "assault rifles" were made by the Germans in WW2 and had either full auto or select fire capability--- those were in fact military rifles. However what you and others call "assault rifles" which are basically just "scary looking" civilian semi-automatic rifles no different than other center fire magazine fed hunting rifles of the same calibers is just political ploy to assign some type of malevolent aura to a firearm which isn't more or less threatening to the hunting rifles you claim are okay.

Secondly, limiting magazine capacities to 8 rounds or less solves what exactly? Do you think criminals and terrorist follow those regulations anyway?  And YES, for home protection or any personal protection there is a legitimate need for more than 8-10 rounds. I'm not saying you need 50 rounds, but if 8 was enough then why do police carry handguns with more than 8 rounds?  I guess you believe that in a life or death firefight that everything always works out with just limited rounds available like some Hollywood western movie. It doesn't work that way. If you first volley or rounds doesn't do the job, you are at severe risk needing to reload in the middle of a fight.  Limiting rounds to under 10 is silly and in fact just this week a California Federal judge just declared California's mag ban as unconstitutional---although I'm sure there will be more fighting over this issue in the future.

You seem to think that society has changed to a point where you don't need personal protection capable of more than just a few shots to defend your life while sitting in your own kitchen; that however is NOT the reality in many American cities.  You like to compare U.S. laws to other countries... well, all I can say about that is that Tokyo, Amsterdam, and Florence are NOT like Detroit, Oakland, Compton, and Baltimore. If you are really claiming we don't have "revolts" in this country still, then you aren't watching the same news I watch.

Having more than 8 rounds and an efficient weapon system should not be limited to inside your own home here in America. If you need that system and you are not a criminal what are you so worried about? Mass shooters are very rare, but the fact remains the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun. Bad guys don't even need guns, large capacity mags or not. Tim McVeigh used a rental truck full of fertilizer; the Boston bombers used rice cookers; the 9/11 scum used aircraft. Heck, in Japan there have been crazy mass killings with knives and swords---- which just proves where there is a will there is a way. Personally I am much less afraid of good people armed with guns than preventing good  people to protect themselves.  Your fear of law abiding citizens and guns is unfounded.  It all comes under a desire to herded among the sheep than allowed to have liberty.  More people are killed by drunk drivers, drivers texting while driving, or by drowning is swimming pools. Gun violence is rare in most of America, but crime is greater in certain cities and among certain demographics. Most of those cities btw have the most strict gun laws, so it just proves how futile it is to go after guns than to go after the criminals. In California the laws have been changed to release more criminals from prison than to keep them inside. To be more "fair" to some people I guess. But on the opposite end of that if you break a rule with a gun law they treat you like you are Al Capone.

Sorry Peacefrog, but you haven't convinced me. But I do appreciate the thoughtful conversation. Fact is you and I are not the problem, we need to deal with the people.... not the objects without a will of their own which are not the problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

The problem with the electoral college is the system is essentially rigged, What I mean is the electors can vote for whoever they want , regardless of how the citizens in the state vote. Also, it gives certain districts within the state greater power and vote over other districts in the same state. This is the reason Trump won the election but was literally trounced by Clinton in the popular vote. Wisconsin, Ohio, & Pennsylvania went to Trump because of less than 30,000 votes from key districts within those states. The system is bad, period, by design. If you wanted a truly accurate and fair electoral system, the electoral votes would be distributed based on the popular vote within the state, not all or nothing which is the exact opposite of a republic. As Walter pointed out such a system would enable the will of the people to be more accurately represented.

Then if you really believe in "one man one vote" why not get rid of the legislative branch and representative government? Instead of 100 senators, or 435 congress people voting on or laws, we could have everyone of the 330,000,000  people of this country casting their own vote on every law or policy?  How would that work in terms of your "will of the people" theory?

You seem to forget how for there to have even have been a constitution and an agreement to have a Constitutional Republic the states had to agree collectively to a system of electing our President which provided balance in order to keep the less populated and more rural states on board.  All of this talk of getting rid of the electoral vote is just silly Peacefrog. It will NEVER be agreed upon by all of the states, and it only comes up for discussion every time on particular political party doesn't win. But even they know it won't/can't be changed; they only bring this topic up to whip up their potential voters... just another false hope, false trigger to get them to show up and vote for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, kipper said:

 However what you and others call "assault rifles" which are basically just "scary looking" civilian semi-automatic rifles.

 

image.png.da3d6a7b46d2f53b65f40afe68b27d2b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, rm2551 said:

Worse than R. Kelly? 

R. Kelly is a sexual predator, and shame on whoever bailed him out the first time, then whoever bailed him out the second time by paying off his back child support. He was on video, having sex with a 14-year-old girl (which is statutory rape, even if she consented to it), then pissing on her. How the hell the jury acquitted him of anything, in that case, is absolutely beyond my scope of comprehension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sentencing of Jessie Smollett:

Judge: Mr. Smollett, I sentence to you one good ass kicking. Bailiff, kick his ass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Electrophile said:

R. Kelly is a sexual predator, and shame on whoever bailed him out the first time, then whoever bailed him out the second time by paying off his back child support. He was on video, having sex with a 14-year-old girl (which is statutory rape, even if she consented to it), then pissing on her. How the hell the jury acquitted him of anything, in that case, is absolutely beyond my scope of comprehension.

You must be takin' the piss with this post aren't you? No pun intended.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You think you know something, don’t you? You think you’re the clever little girl who knows something. There’s so much you don’t know, so much. What do you know, really? You’re just an ordinary little girl, living in an ordinary little town. You wake up every morning of your life and you know perfectly well that there’s nothing in the world to trouble you. You go through your ordinary little day, and at night you sleep your untroubled ordinary little sleep, filled with peaceful stupid dreams. And I brought you nightmares. Or did I? Or was it a silly, inexpert little lie? You live in a dream. You’re a sleepwalker, blind. How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip off the fronts of houses, you’d find swine? The world’s a hell. What does it matter what happens in it? Wake up, Charlie. Use your wits. Learn something."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Strider said:

"Wake up, Charlie. Use your wits. Learn something."

a8e061d28ac2a7fde830d5598bc81726.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Strider said:

"You think you know something, don’t you? You think you’re the clever little girl who knows something. There’s so much you don’t know, so much. What do you know, really? You’re just an ordinary little girl, living in an ordinary little town. You wake up every morning of your life and you know perfectly well that there’s nothing in the world to trouble you. You go through your ordinary little day, and at night you sleep your untroubled ordinary little sleep, filled with peaceful stupid dreams. And I brought you nightmares. Or did I? Or was it a silly, inexpert little lie? You live in a dream. You’re a sleepwalker, blind. How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip off the fronts of houses, you’d find swine? The world’s a hell. What does it matter what happens in it? Wake up, Charlie. Use your wits. Learn something."

LOL---

At first I thought you post was directed at Walter but then noticed the quotes and it sounded familiar.

"Shadow of a Doubt" (1943)   a great Hitchcock film which I haven't seen in about 40 years

 

Good one!

 

267px-Teresa_Wright_and_Joseph_Cotten_in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Francisco is closing their juvenile hall. I was there for 6 months for truancy.

I'm not a juvenile delinquent
No-no-no-no-no-no-no-no
No-no-no-no-no-no-no-no
No-no-no, I'm not a juvenile delinquent
Do the things that's right
And you'll do nothing wrong
Life will be so nice, you'll be in paradise
I know, because I'm not a juvenile delinquent
But listen boys and girls
You need not be blue
And life is what you make of it
It all depends on you
I know, because I'm not a juvenile delinquent
It's easy to be good, it's hard to be bad
Stay out of trouble, and you'll be glad
Take this tip from me, and you will see
How happy you will be
Oh-oh, boys and girls, this is my story
And I add all of my glory
I know, because I'm not a juvenile delinquent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Black hole..or a colonoscopy shot of "Youranus"????

IRanuS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"some people did something..."

 

main_900.jpg

 

 

facepalm-kain-678x381px.jpg

 

you can't make this stuff up

 

~Kip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cryingbluerain said:

Lunatics running the asylum. smh

Bingo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kipper said:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

We watched that tonight. Hadn't seen it in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, redrum said:

We watched that tonight. Hadn't seen it in years.

Still funny after all these years. 

One of my favorite scenes is this one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, kipper said:

PeaceFrog,

You continue to pursue lines of argument which are without logical support. First of all the term "assault rifle" is not correctly used. The first "assault rifles" were made by the Germans in WW2 and had either full auto or select fire capability--- those were in fact military rifles. However what you and others call "assault rifles" which are basically just "scary looking" civilian semi-automatic rifles no different than other center fire magazine fed hunting rifles of the same calibers is just political ploy to assign some type of malevolent aura to a firearm which isn't more or less threatening to the hunting rifles you claim are okay.

Secondly, limiting magazine capacities to 8 rounds or less solves what exactly? Do you think criminals and terrorist follow those regulations anyway?  And YES, for home protection or any personal protection there is a legitimate need for more than 8-10 rounds. I'm not saying you need 50 rounds, but if 8 was enough then why do police carry handguns with more than 8 rounds?  I guess you believe that in a life or death firefight that everything always works out with just limited rounds available like some Hollywood western movie. It doesn't work that way. If you first volley or rounds doesn't do the job, you are at severe risk needing to reload in the middle of a fight.  Limiting rounds to under 10 is silly and in fact just this week a California Federal judge just declared California's mag ban as unconstitutional---although I'm sure there will be more fighting over this issue in the future.

You seem to think that society has changed to a point where you don't need personal protection capable of more than just a few shots to defend your life while sitting in your own kitchen; that however is NOT the reality in many American cities.  You like to compare U.S. laws to other countries... well, all I can say about that is that Tokyo, Amsterdam, and Florence are NOT like Detroit, Oakland, Compton, and Baltimore. If you are really claiming we don't have "revolts" in this country still, then you aren't watching the same news I watch.

Having more than 8 rounds and an efficient weapon system should not be limited to inside your own home here in America. If you need that system and you are not a criminal what are you so worried about? Mass shooters are very rare, but the fact remains the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun. Bad guys don't even need guns, large capacity mags or not. Tim McVeigh used a rental truck full of fertilizer; the Boston bombers used rice cookers; the 9/11 scum used aircraft. Heck, in Japan there have been crazy mass killings with knives and swords---- which just proves where there is a will there is a way. Personally I am much less afraid of good people armed with guns than preventing good  people to protect themselves.  Your fear of law abiding citizens and guns is unfounded.  It all comes under a desire to herded among the sheep than allowed to have liberty.  More people are killed by drunk drivers, drivers texting while driving, or by drowning is swimming pools. Gun violence is rare in most of America, but crime is greater in certain cities and among certain demographics. Most of those cities btw have the most strict gun laws, so it just proves how futile it is to go after guns than to go after the criminals. In California the laws have been changed to release more criminals from prison than to keep them inside. To be more "fair" to some people I guess. But on the opposite end of that if you break a rule with a gun law they treat you like you are Al Capone.

Sorry Peacefrog, but you haven't convinced me. But I do appreciate the thoughtful conversation. Fact is you and I are not the problem, we need to deal with the people.... not the objects without a will of their own which are not the problems.

Come on now, semantics & straw man arguments? That is beneath you Kip. An assault rife as defined originally by the Germans is ANY rifle with a large magazine capacity. It does not have to have a 3 round burst or full auto selector to be an assault rifle. The key is the word assault. Do you need 30 rounds to kill a deer? To target practice? To defend your home? No, absolutely not. The whole purpose of a large capacity magazine on any gun, whether it be a rife or pistol, it to engage as many targets as possible without having to reload, in other words, to carry out an assault. That is the military definition and purpose, plain and simple. If your AR or SIg only holds say 8 rounds, its not military grade but as soon as you jam a 20 round clip into your Glock it is indeed military grade.

To your other argument, except for no knock searches by law enforcement, when was the last time a group of armed assailants burst into home of Joe Citizen who was not part of a gang or cartel? I am sure it has happened by mistake once in a blue moon but again, if a group of people, armed, burst into your home, how do you defend against that even if you have a machine gun? Unless that gun is in your hand and you are Cool Hand Luke in the flesh, you're screwed.

Regarding strict gun laws, those are useless if say Chicago bans ALL guns but Oak Park, Chicago Ridge, Palos Hills, Schaumberg, etc. all allow gun sales and gun shows unrestricted. Think about it, if someone can drive a couple miles from their home where guns are illegal to the next town over where they are, you can;t say the gun laws in Chicago are a failure. The only way to stop all of this is to introduce comprehensive nation-wide legislation. You do that and all of this stops. After all, the Australian had to fly to another country to carry out his mass shooting because the laws work in Australia. Shit, if I were the Australian PM I would have that on billboards all over the country as proof the gun laws work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, kipper said:

"some people did something..."

 

main_900.jpg

 

 

facepalm-kain-678x381px.jpg

 

you can't make this stuff up

 

~Kip

Linguistically the statement is true if insensitive. However, there is a reason for that insensitivity which has nothing to do with Islam per se and everything to do with Saudi Arabia. The 9/11 attacks where planned, financed, and carried out by Saudis. The House of Saud is responsible for over 90% of all global terrorism and 80% of all regional terrorism. That is the dirty little secret. Iran is a damn punter compared to SA but SA is our ally. Think about it. Any US policy in Syria is doomed because all sides hate us. We were actually supporting ISIS in Syria when they were fighting against Assad but then changed our minds when they popped up in Iraq. The whole thing is madness.

Iran has never been the problem, Saudi Arabia has and is the problem yet our leaders continue to get on their knees for these barbarians. When I say leaders, both parties are guilty as sin. As far as I am concerned Saudi Arabia should be our #1 enemy. Israel is another shitbird in the region stirring up the pot. Israel has never been our true ally, they attacked the USS Liberty during the 67' War killing over 30 US servicemen. The Israeli pilots admitted they knew they were attacking a US ship as that was the whole point. They wanted to sink the ship and blame the Egyptians. Some ally there. Don't even get me started on their threatening to nuke Syria during the 73' War if we did not provide satellite intel in strategic positions and enemy troop movements. Then there is the endless spying on our government.

With friends like this who needs enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

The only way to stop all of this is to introduce comprehensive nation-wide legislation. You do that and all of this stops.

 

 

 

remember.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...