Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

13 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Linguistically the statement is true if insensitive. However, there is a reason for that insensitivity which has nothing to do with Islam per se and everything to do with Saudi Arabia. The 9/11 attacks where planned, financed, and carried out by Saudis. The House of Saud is responsible for over 90% of all global terrorism and 80% of all regional terrorism. That is the dirty little secret. Iran is a damn punter compared to SA but SA is our ally. Think about it. Any US policy in Syria is doomed because all sides hate us. We were actually supporting ISIS in Syria when they were fighting against Assad but then changed our minds when they popped up in Iraq. The whole thing is madness.

Iran has never been the problem, Saudi Arabia has and is the problem yet our leaders continue to get on their knees for these barbarians. When I say leaders, both parties are guilty as sin. As far as I am concerned Saudi Arabia should be our #1 enemy. Israel is another shitbird in the region stirring up the pot. Israel has never been our true ally, they attacked the USS Liberty during the 67' War killing over 30 US servicemen. The Israeli pilots admitted they knew they were attacking a US ship as that was the whole point. They wanted to sink the ship and blame the Egyptians. Some ally there. Don't even get me started on their threatening to nuke Syria during the 73' War if we did not provide satellite intel in strategic positions and enemy troop movements. Then there is the endless spying on our government.

With friends like this who needs enemies.

With astonishingly flawed geopolitical analysis like that, who needs stand up comediennes. 

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

With astonishingly flawed geopolitical analysis like that, who needs stand up comediennes. 

Well I am always open to knowledge so how about you explain how what I posted is false, or, astonishingly flawed. If I am wrong about anything I posted I will be the first one to admit I was wrong. You will never get a political work around from me.

Of course if what you are referring to (geopolitical analysis) is US policy in terms of the sole goal of US business interests at the expense of moral turpitude, then that is a different animal altogether. Believe me, I fully understand the foreign policy goals of the US in the middle east and why we align with both Saudi Arabia & Israel. However the clock is ticking on supporting downright evil (SA) or dubious (Israel) powers regarding US regional interests. Once renewables or nuclear fills the very, very small gap which US, Canadian, & Mexican oil & natural gas sources cannot fill (roughly 8% and dropping fast), we will drop both SA & Israel like a hot potato. The reason being...there won't be no money in it. Sorry, its just business, nothing personal.

8 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Iran has never been the problem, Saudi Arabia has and is the problem yet our leaders continue to get on their knees for these barbarians. When I say leaders, both parties are guilty as sin. As far as I am concerned Saudi Arabia should be our #1 enemy.

It is baffling how this is not more widely understood or exposed by media. And a disgrace.

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

we will drop both SA & Israel like a hot potato.

Drop Israel? Laughable. They still represent a modern western rules based democracy amongst autocratic or theocratic shit shows. And it would be absolutely political suicide for any US administration to do so. Even the SA relationship will not be jettisoned without a catalyst moment (real or made up ala "bay of Pigs"). The Sauds have an understanding of the God of those in power in the US. Money. And they have weaved strong ties that will not be easy to untangle from and would be embarrassing to many in power. What once was geo-political and oil supply based is now entrenched in corruption and dodgy business. It will sooner or later be dissolved, but watch for the catalyst event. (excuse)

7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Game Of Thrones in 2 minutes. 

Oh bollox, I forgot to set my recorder for the 2 AM premier, now I'm going to have to wait until 10 PM tonight. I could have watched this morning an zipped through the adverts.

18 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Iran has never been the problem, Saudi Arabia has and is the problem

It would have been preferable for us to deal with Iran over SA, unfortunately 1979 made that all but impossible and still does to this day.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Come on now, semantics & straw man arguments? That is beneath you Kip. An assault rife as defined originally by the Germans is ANY rifle with a large magazine capacity. It does not have to have a 3 round burst or full auto selector to be an assault rifle. The key is the word assault. Do you need 30 rounds to kill a deer? To target practice? To defend your home? No, absolutely not. The whole purpose of a large capacity magazine on any gun, whether it be a rife or pistol, it to engage as many targets as possible without having to reload, in other words, to carry out an assault. That is the military definition and purpose, plain and simple. If your AR or SIg only holds say 8 rounds, its not military grade but as soon as you jam a 20 round clip into your Glock it is indeed military grade.

To your other argument, except for no knock searches by law enforcement, when was the last time a group of armed assailants burst into home of Joe Citizen who was not part of a gang or cartel? I am sure it has happened by mistake once in a blue moon but again, if a group of people, armed, burst into your home, how do you defend against that even if you have a machine gun? Unless that gun is in your hand and you are Cool Hand Luke in the flesh, you're screwed.

Regarding strict gun laws, those are useless if say Chicago bans ALL guns but Oak Park, Chicago Ridge, Palos Hills, Schaumberg, etc. all allow gun sales and gun shows unrestricted. Think about it, if someone can drive a couple miles from their home where guns are illegal to the next town over where they are, you can;t say the gun laws in Chicago are a failure. The only way to stop all of this is to introduce comprehensive nation-wide legislation. You do that and all of this stops. After all, the Australian had to fly to another country to carry out his mass shooting because the laws work in Australia. Shit, if I were the Australian PM I would have that on billboards all over the country as proof the gun laws work.

Peacefrog we have already established that the 2nd Amendment was not included to defend hunting. So even if it doesn't take a 30rd mag to hunt deer it still may take a 20-30rd mag to defend your home, farm, or business.  If you recall the Rodney King riots in Los Angles a few Koreans were able to repel some armed criminals with exactly the kinds of legal weapons we are talking about.  It is ludicrous to continue to insist that there is no viable reason for a law abiding citizen to have a 5 or 10 round magazine.  And even on the hunting thing, there is in fact legitimate hunting use of more than a 10 rd mag (usually a 20 not a 30) when hunting/culling coyotes in rural areas with a rifle usually in the small caliber .223 (same as used in AR-15s).

You continue to insist that smaller detachable mags somehow prevent criminals---they don't.

We don't --- at least you and I don't live in Australia. Australia like most former British commonwealth nations are not free nations. The royals never wanted their people to be armed. Not with guns, not even swords a long time ago and we know the reason for that (ask Louis 16 and Marie). So please don't mention Australia, Japan or other nations.  Japan has low murder rates because they are an intelligent and mostly law abiding culture. Even if they had more guns they wouldn't have murder rates like Chicago, so the answer in places like Chicago isn't about the guns, isn't about gun shows in other locations---it's about THE CULTURE of the people who commit those crimes. There are lots of guns in rural America and not lots of wanton murders--- why is that?  Deal with the problem, deal with THE CRIMINALS rather than making excuses for them.

Poverty does not create crime. Crime creates poverty. If being poor was a reason for gangbanging then there would be more gangbangers in Appalachia than in Chicago.

Edited by kipper

On 4/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Linguistically the statement is true if insensitive. However, there is a reason for that insensitivity which has nothing to do with Islam per se and everything to do with Saudi Arabia. The 9/11 attacks where planned, financed, and carried out by Saudis. The House of Saud is responsible for over 90% of all global terrorism and 80% of all regional terrorism. That is the dirty little secret. Iran is a damn punter compared to SA but SA is our ally. Think about it. Any US policy in Syria is doomed because all sides hate us. We were actually supporting ISIS in Syria when they were fighting against Assad but then changed our minds when they popped up in Iraq. The whole thing is madness.

Iran has never been the problem, Saudi Arabia has and is the problem yet our leaders continue to get on their knees for these barbarians. When I say leaders, both parties are guilty as sin. As far as I am concerned Saudi Arabia should be our #1 enemy. Israel is another shitbird in the region stirring up the pot. Israel has never been our true ally, they attacked the USS Liberty during the 67' War killing over 30 US servicemen. The Israeli pilots admitted they knew they were attacking a US ship as that was the whole point. They wanted to sink the ship and blame the Egyptians. Some ally there. Don't even get me started on their threatening to nuke Syria during the 73' War if we did not provide satellite intel in strategic positions and enemy troop movements. Then there is the endless spying on our government.

With friends like this who needs enemies.

That woman should not be in congress is all I have to say. She is 5th columnist and the organization she was pandering to when she made that awful statement about 9/11 is one too.

And that is all I have to say on that in this forum.

3 hours ago, kipper said:

Australia like most former British commonwealth nations are not free nations.

Absurd.

5 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Absurd.

page1-170px-National_Firearms_Amnesty_Pr

23patrick-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&au

3 hours ago, kipper said:

page1-170px-National_Firearms_Amnesty_Pr

23patrick-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&au

If they burn books and guns, they will also burn people. Idiots.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

If they burn books and guns, they will also burn people. Idiots.

Jesus Christ guys, calm down.

We had a mass shooting. Worst one ever at that time. The CONSERVATIVE Prime Minister decided to ban guns (with a few exceptions). It was a popular measure at the time - 85-90% people supported the idea. You know, like how democracy works. It was implemented and we got on with our lives. No one is burning books. Jeeez you guys. What is the equivalent term for snowflake for the right? (jokes guys, just having a dig :lol:)

Sporting clubs for shooters still have members.

Some farmers and hunters still have permits.

banning guns in NO WAY equates to not being free or heading down the book burning path. Unlike the US - we actually don't mind not having guns. We look over to you guys and pretty much confirm how it is probably a GOOD IDEA anyway. Not everyone is obsessed with gun ownership and so fucking fearful of a potentially tyrannical Government. In fact, I don't know of anyone quite like the US.

I am as free as you guys. I live in a rule of law country very similar to your own. Same values, same open market capitalist system, same core beliefs (individual liberty, tolerance, justice, separation of powers in the state). It's all good guys, so stop worrying about how not free I am.

15 hours ago, kipper said:

Japan has low murder rates because they are an intelligent and mostly law abiding culture. 

That's fair. I would add they are a racially homogenous society and when it comes to criminal cases the prosecution maintains a success rate well above 90%. Unlike the US, where you can have a criminal record a mile long and still continue to prey upon society as a recidivist maggot, if you are convicted over here of serious criminal offense I hope you like confinement, rice and fish head soup.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

That's fair. I would add they are a racially homogenous society and when it comes to criminal cases the prosecution maintains a success rate well above 90%. Unlike the US, where you can have a criminal record a mile long and still continue to prey upon society as a recidivist maggot, if you are convicted over here of serious criminal offense I hope you like confinement, rice and fish head soup.

Prosecution is the key Steve, and Japan has it right on that. A high rate of prosecution and punishment is important to keeping order in a society. The US could learn something from the Japanese in that regard but we aren't as bad as some. In Mexico for example 95% of murders go unsolved. No wonder that nation is in chaos; a culture of crime and lawlessness. Probably why so many leave there.

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Jesus Christ guys, calm down.

We had a mass shooting. Worst one ever at that time. The CONSERVATIVE Prime Minister decided to ban guns (with a few exceptions). It was a popular measure at the time - 85-90% people supported the idea. You know, like how democracy works. It was implemented and we got on with our lives. No one is burning books. Jeeez you guys. What is the equivalent term for snowflake for the right? (jokes guys, just having a dig :lol:)

Sporting clubs for shooters still have members.

Some farmers and hunters still have permits.

banning guns in NO WAY equates to not being free or heading down the book burning path. Unlike the US - we actually don't mind not having guns. We look over to you guys and pretty much confirm how it is probably a GOOD IDEA anyway. Not everyone is obsessed with gun ownership and so fucking fearful of a potentially tyrannical Government. In fact, I don't know of anyone quite like the US.

I am as free as you guys. I live in a rule of law country very similar to your own. Same values, same open market capitalist system, same core beliefs (individual liberty, tolerance, justice, separation of powers in the state). It's all good guys, so stop worrying about how not free I am.

LOL "some farmers and hunters", and permits for clubs.  You should hear how that sounds to some of our ears mate. 

So you folks gave up your "privilege" because no way was it a right in your country, no British commonwealth nation which did not eject their overlords ever had a right to gun ownership in the first place, just "permission" which could be taken away at any time. That isn't freedom, that is top down government, not government by and for the people--- an old system based on the divine right of kings--- no NATURAL law, you are given rights/privileges instead of consenting to the authority to be governed. That is backwards.

Gun ownership may only be symbolic to some, but what it says to a real American (and not all of us are that) is that we stand on our own two feet, we are not going to be treated less than our original master King George had intended.

Here is the deal, and our own Supreme court has confirmed this as well as many other courts:  the government here (police authority) has said many times that they are under NO OBLIGATION to provide protection to anyone---not in reality. What that means is that despite the government providing you with a phone number to call the police when you may need help, they may never get there in time. And when they do get there all they may be left to do is take a report.... as you lie dead on the ground.  And guess what? You have no legal recourse to hold government accountable for your lack of protection--- which is exactly why our constitution provides a means for INDIVIDUALS to defend themselves just at 'the natural law' would expect.

That is freedom.  I don't see you having that, but to be fair, many Americans agree with you as well. Their loss. Because when the shit gets really bad--- and we have seen that many times in this country as unfortunately we aren't a homogeneous society like Japan or some other countries are; there are times when you must defend yourselves here, so at least we have a choice in that.

There are many, many, MANY millions of guns in this country but all the media likes to talk about are the rare percentages of criminals using them---- people already banned from having them in the first place.  You know what was needed inside that mosque in NZ a month ago was at least ONE person with a gun to defend the lives of many. Because just at that incident showed us, a criminal is not going to follow any regulations anyway.

We are not "obsessed" with guns, most of us are obsessed with liberty--- a big difference.

Edited by kipper

As repugnant as the video was, thank God we have the First Amendment here in the U.S....New Zealand is destroying itself in an over zealous response to that attack!

New Zealand police have charged six people with illegally redistributing live-streamed videos and images of the March 15th shootings at Christchurch mosques. They’re being charged with supplying or distributing objectionable material, which carries a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison.

Philip Arps, 44, and an unnamed suspect, 18, appeared in court on Monday in front of a New Zealand judge. (The other four suspects are not currently in custody, and their names are currently being withheld by officials.)

The 18-year-old suspect is accused of sharing livestreamed footage of the attack, as well as a still image of one of the mosques targeted with the caption “target acquired.”  Both he and Arps were denied bail.

Arps is the owner of an insulation company called Beneficial Insulation. According to the New York Post, the logo of Arps’ business is a sunwheel (also known as a sonnenrad), an ancient European symbol that has been used by neo-Nazis as a reference to Aryan or Norse heritage. Arps has also previously appeared in a 2016 video in which he delivered pigs’ heads to one of the mosques targeted in the attacks, which was widely distributed among neo-Nazi circles.

A 28-year-old Australian man has been charged with carrying out the attacks against worshippers at al Noor moque and Linwood Islamic Center in Christchurch, New Zealand, in which 50 people were killed. The man is being charged with 50 murder counts and 39 counts of attempted murder.

The suspect also livestreamed the attacks and released a violently Islamophobic manifesto beforehand. Although Facebook said that less than 200 people watched the original, 17-minute livestream of the attacks, in a tweet the company said that it had to remove nearly 1.5 million videos of the attacks 24 hours after the shootings.

Shortly after the attacks, New Zealand’s chief censor David Shanks issued a statement announcing that the shooter’s manifesto and footage had been banned under the Films Videos and Publications Classification Act (FVPCA) 1993, an act that bans the dissemination of “objectionable” content, defined as content that “describes, depicts, expresses, or otherwise deals with matters such as sex, horror, crime, cruelty, or violence in such a manner that the availability of the publication is likely to be injurious to the public good.” In the past, ISIS propaganda has also received similar classification.

Of the video footage specifically, Shanks said, “every New Zealander should now be clear that this clip is an illegal, harmful and reprehensible record created to promote a terrorist cause. If you have a record of it, you must delete it. If you see it, you should report it,” he said. “Possessing or distributing it is illegal, and only supports a criminal agenda.”

4 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

As repugnant as the video was, thank God we have the First Amendment here in the U.S....New Zealand is destroying itself in an over zealous response to that attack!

New Zealand police have charged six people with illegally redistributing live-streamed videos and images of the March 15th shootings at Christchurch mosques. They’re being charged with supplying or distributing objectionable material, which carries a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison.

That is just INSANITY to me.  No 1st amendment rights (free speech) in NZ.  Under which logic do they threaten to put somebody in prison for 14 years who didn't have anything to do with that crime?  What crime is there in viewing or sharing the video of that shooting? I have watched the video several times and while it is graphic and probably not suitable to very young children it is IMPORTANT for people to see and understand what happens in these horrific events.  Hoping to duck and hide is NOT a good strategy; either run away OR FIGHT BACK is your only hope and that is what you learn from watching that kind of thing.  Why are people today so snowflakey about seeing stuff?  We grew up seeing images of Hitler's holocaust in all of that graphic detail hopefully so people would learn from it and know how to recognize it; be appalled by it, and then make sure it doesn't happen again.

Has that country lost it's mind to put people in prison for a video....one they did not have any part of the crimes?  Glad I don't live there, I'm sure my guns, my computer and my liberty would all be confiscated by now.

15 minutes ago, kipper said:

That is just INSANITY to me.  No 1st amendment rights (free speech) in NZ.  Under which logic do they threaten to put somebody in prison for 14 years who didn't have anything to do with that crime?  What crime is there in viewing or sharing the video of that shooting? I have watched the video several times and while it is graphic and probably not suitable to very young children it is IMPORTANT for people to see and understand what happens in these horrific events.  Hoping to duck and hide is NOT a good strategy; either run away OR FIGHT BACK is your only hope and that is what you learn from watching that kind of thing.  Why are people today so snowflakey about seeing stuff?  We grew up seeing images of Hitler's holocaust in all of that graphic detail hopefully so people would learn from it and know how to recognize it; be appalled by it, and then make sure it doesn't happen again.

Has that country lost it's mind to put people in prison for a video....one they did not have any part of the crimes?  Glad I don't live there, I'm sure my guns, my computer and my liberty would all be confiscated by now.

Knee jerking.

2 minutes ago, redrum said:

Knee jerking.

Yep.

Some people have no idea what liberty means

On record store day they had a Donald Trump vinyl, an orange vinyl, of Donald Trump one-liners that I tried to get, but was unsuccessful.

18 hours ago, kipper said:

So you folks gave up your "privilege" because no way was it a right in your country

100% correct, and we don't see that as a problem or an issue. That is a significant distinction. I understand and accept this distinction and am not necessarily for the US Government taking a similar stance as we did (gun ban) for the reasons you have articulated. It's a different background and history there. Apples and oranges my man. I try to be careful (avoid being pretentious) to not prescribe solutions to problems I view from here. They always sound good from here. But I don't have the US experience so it's a bit condescending. The usefulness of my opinion is to give you an outside view - not much else.

It does seem sensible gun reform can't even be discussed using experts and data for the batshit fringes destroying any meaningful analysis which is a shame, but hey, I don't live in a paradise politically either. Just different piles of political shit to navigate than yours.