Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

17 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

It does seem sensible gun reform can't even be discussed using experts and data 

That's because constitutionally astute citizens see "gun reform" for what it really is: an inevitable march toward confiscation and/or the complete loss of Second Amendment rights.     

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

That's because constitutionally astute citizens see "gun reform" for what it really is: an inevitable march toward confiscation and/or the complete loss of Second Amendment rights.     

But Steve, it doesn't have to be "all or nothing" - there should always be room for improvement. I can't see a complete loss of gun rights. Political suicide guaranteed.

9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

100% correct, and we don't see that as a problem or an issue. That is a significant distinction. I understand and accept this distinction and am not necessarily for the US Government taking a similar stance as we did (gun ban) for the reasons you have articulated. It's a different background and history there. Apples and oranges my man. I try to be careful (avoid being pretentious) to not prescribe solutions to problems I view from here. They always sound good from here. But I don't have the US experience so it's a bit condescending. The usefulness of my opinion is to give you an outside view - not much else.

It does seem sensible gun reform can't even be discussed using experts and data for the batshit fringes destroying any meaningful analysis which is a shame, but hey, I don't live in a paradise politically either. Just different piles of political shit to navigate than yours.

Okay a fair response, but I would like to go back and try to hear yourself when you use the phrase "sensible gun reform"-- a buzzword which over on this side of the Pacific Ocean we know means restrictions, silly regulations, and eventually bans directed at law abiding citizens and never anything which deals with actual criminals.

Guns have no will of their own, they are harmless tools in the hands of moral, empathetic, and law abiding people. If the anti gun people really were serious about reducing crime they would be much harsher on the convicted criminals rather than offering excuses for their behavior. 

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

...it doesn't have to be "all or nothing" - there should always be room for improvement. I can't see a complete loss of gun rights. Political suicide guaranteed.

What is the room for improvement?  Do you not know that here in the USA the cities and states with the MOST restrictive gun laws continue to have the MOST crime. All of the so called "improvement" does NOTHING to reduce the desire of criminal culture apart from putting these people away in prison for life which does not happen.

Law abiding people here do not violate gun restrictions because they don't want to be charged with felonies, lose their voting rights, lose any future gun rights, or possibly go to prison. So even in highly restrictive states (because not all state gun laws here are the same) these law abiding citizens for the most part follow the laws---- and yes, they don't commit gun crimes.  BUT THEY DIDN'T COMMIT CRIME BEFORE THESE LAWS---- and in the states without the severe restrictions the same type of law abiding citizens don't commit gun crimes either. 

My point is these gun law "improvements" don't do anything..... because criminals don't follow laws. SO WHY restrict non-criminals?

1 hour ago, kipper said:

What is the room for improvement?

So they are perfect? Mentally unstable people, or people known to be stalking an ex-partner can buy a gun at a gun show unchecked - right? Shouldn't that be improved?

You need to jump through more hoops to drive a damn car than own a gun (as I understand it). Why? A car can be a weapon if some idiot decides to.

Like I said, get experts (constitutional experts, law experts, social engineers that are considered top of their field, community representatives) to look at data and ideas. Pass conclusions and suggestions back to the community for debate and go from there. (I don't even stand by that last sentence as sensible debate by a polarised and very tribal community is not possible.)

To have the position that any look at reform is itself the enemy is a strange position to hold.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Art in metal. image.png.af68b6d2da91f000a3d0ea6065fde83b.png

Except most art cannot blow your head off. Sweet gun though, kinda like the one a six year old kid used to accidentally blow his 4 year old sisters head off with last week. I guess art is subjective.

Sat through almost an hour of Beyonce's Homecoming with my girlfriend. Help me, God. Despite celebrating 'blackness' why does the 'n word plus bitches and hoes' always seem to pop up? Practice what you preach. I refused to watch anymore.  

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Except most art cannot blow your head off. Sweet gun though, kinda like the one a six year old kid used to accidentally blow his 4 year old sisters head off with last week. I guess art is subjective.

image.png.c208b453823b0c85e04acefa1aae27f0.png

5 hours ago, redrum said:

Art in metal. image.png.af68b6d2da91f000a3d0ea6065fde83b.png

A beautiful piece of art.

16 hours ago, rm2551 said:

You need to jump through more hoops to drive a damn car than own a gun (as I understand it). Why? 

Driving a car is privilege, but to keep and bear arms is a constitutionally protected right, that's why.

17 hours ago, rm2551 said:

So they are perfect? Mentally unstable people, or people known to be stalking an ex-partner can buy a gun at a gun show unchecked - right? Shouldn't that be improved?

You need to jump through more hoops to drive a damn car than own a gun (as I understand it). Why? A car can be a weapon if some idiot decides to.

Like I said, get experts (constitutional experts, law experts, social engineers that are considered top of their field, community representatives) to look at data and ideas. Pass conclusions and suggestions back to the community for debate and go from there. (I don't even stand by that last sentence as sensible debate by a polarised and very tribal community is not possible.)

To have the position that any look at reform is itself the enemy is a strange position to hold.

There are so many myths about the so called "gun show loophole" being touted by the anti gun crowd and the media. First of all every single Federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL) is required to do a background/identity check no matter where the sale location is including gun shows. Which means if you are in the business of selling firearms the IRS (government tax department of the US treasury called the Internal Revenue Service) will know you are selling guns as a business, because if you are lying about that you are in BIG TROUBLE and will go to prison for a long time if you are not federally licensed. We have here a law enforcement agency called ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) which specifically enforces these laws.  So the idea that people can just go to gun shows who are criminals and buy guns doesn't really happen.  What we do have is a Federal exemption to the private sale of guns between private citizens WITHIN a state.  That means I can sell you one of my guns if you are not a criminal.  But wait there is more:  I can't sell you a gun if you live in another state than mine UNLESS the transaction is done through a FFL.  In addition to that, ALL states have laws prohibiting the private sale of a firearm knowingly to a criminal or otherwise prohibited person. BIG trouble if you do that.  BIG TROUBLE.  Keep in mind however that many states do in fact have a lot of laws for private gun sales. If you lived in my state for example and I want to sell you a gun we both have to go to a FFL and pay fee; a state background check is done; and after a 10 day waiting period if all is clear you are only then allowed to take possession of the gun. This would happen even if were transferring the gun to a family member other than a wife, child, or parent.

Now what is a problem sometimes are "straw purchases" where a friend or family member who isn't prohibited from buying a gun does so to give to someone who is in an illegal transfer. That is illegal in every state I am aware of and if it crosses state lines you will go to federal prison.  But those are more rare than you think, they usually happen with people already criminals and who don't follow laws, and they are as hard to stop as someone loaning someone a car who isn't licensed to drive or who has been restricted from driving due to prior drunk driving convictions.  But all of that is already illegal, and has no connection to law abiding citizens.  Bottom line: you cannot prevent everything in a free society.

We have lot of gun laws here, some states are I admit more restrictive than others, but it all comes from having individual God given rights protected by our constitution. You should not fear law abiding people, you should worry about the parts of our political spectrum who excuse criminals, and I can assure you it is not the end of the spectrum which defends gun rights who is soft on criminals.

"What Is Hip?"

So you want to jump out your trick bag
And ease on into a hip bag
But you ain't just exactly sure what's hip
So you start to let your hair grow
Spend big bucks to top your wardrobe
But somehow you know there's much more to the trip

(What is hip) tell me, tell me if you think you know
(What is hip) if you're really hip, the passing years will show
You in a hip trip, maybe hipper than hip
But what is hip

You became part of the new breed
Been smoking only the best weed
Hanging out on the so-called hippest set
Been seen in all the right places
Seen with just the right faces
You should be satisfied, but still it ain't quite right
What Is Hip?

(What is hip) tell me, tell me if you think you know
(What is hip) if you're really hip, the passing years will show
You in a hip trip, maybe hipper than hip
But what is hip

Hipness is (well) what it is
Hipness is (yeah) what it is
Hipness is (uh huh) what it is
And sometimes hipness is what it ain't
Hey, hey

You done went and found you a guru
In an effort to find you a new you
And maybe even managed to raise your conscious level
While you're striving to find the right road
There's one thing you should know
What's hip today might become passé

CAKE: Rock' n ' Roll Lifestyle

Well, your CD collection looks shiny and costly.
How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzi?
And how much did you spend on your black leather jacket?
Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket? 

Now tickets to concerts and drinking at clubs,
Sometimes for music that you haven't even heard of.
And how much did you pay for your rock'n'roll t-shirt
That proves you were there,
That you heard of them first? 

How do you afford your rock'n'roll lifestyle?
Ah, tell me. 

How much did you pay for the chunk of his guitar,
The one he ruthlessly smashed at the end of the show?
And how much will he pay for a brand new guitar,
One which he'll ruthlessly smash at the end of another show?
And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?
As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones.
And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?
As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones. 

Aging black leather and hospital bills,
Tattoo removal and dozens of pills.
Your liver pays dearly now for youthful magic moments,
But rock on completely with some brand new components.

Excess ain't rebellion.
You're drinking what they're selling.
Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them.
Your chaos won't convert them.
They're so happy to rebuild it.
You'll never really kill it.
Yeah, excess ain't rebellion.
Excess ain't rebellion.
You're drinking,
You're drinking,

Posted (edited)

Lots of curves, you bet, even more, when you get.......

See the source image

•  
  •  

Edited by jabe

How come the media never brings up the word 'Christophobia?'

11 hours ago, redrum said:

How come the media never brings up the word 'Christophobia?'

Now that you mention it, the media never brings up any phobias which I can think of. Looks like we have a fake news war on phobias'. That there just ain't right.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

"The earlier the sea ice reforms, the earlier the walrus arrive on Ryrkaypiy. This is the total opposite of Attenborough’s version, that they are there because of a lack of sea ice. How he can get such a basic fact as this wrong is beyond my comprehension."

Polar bears, bad eyesight + propaganda. Egad, guvnuh.

Between the movie, Adam Lambert and I Hate Radio, I've had enough of Queen.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Between the movie, Adam Lambert and I Hate Radio, I've had enough of Queen.

Amen. And the same thing will happen with Elton John with his new book and that biopic movie coming out this year.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Amen. And the same thing will happen with Elton John with his new book and that biopic movie coming out this year.

😖

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I love his music but I have heard from several sources (personal assistants, roadies, etc.) that he is a real diva and will melt down at the drop of a hat, or boa, or whatever.