Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

39 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

People in general cannot "make things work" in the US due to massive income inequality, the astronomical cost of higher education, and the cost of living FAR outdistancing income in general. You cannot exactly say to someone they need to "make it work" if the tools needed for the task are simply not available.

YOU, and by extension people who think like you, make my point for me everyday. Why is it South Koreans without a pot to piss in can immigrate to the US and independently own grocery stores within five years? Why is it Chaldean immigrants own and manage gas stations? Why are Jewish immigrants sending their children to US law schools? I am gonna reveal a secret to you: they work their asses off and they EARN IT! Meanwhile our young, obese, over-educated Americans are just pumping their fists at the local Bernie Sanders rally. If one wants to become wealthy in America they need to do only three things: graduate from High School, get a job (...and then a better job...)and don't have children out of wedlock. 

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

YOU, and by extension people who think like you, make my point for me everyday. Why is it South Koreans without a pot to piss in can immigrate to the US and independently own grocery stores within five years? Why is it Chaldean immigrants own and manage gas stations? Why are Jewish immigrants sending their children to US law schools? I am gonna reveal a secret to you: they work their asses off and they EARN IT! Meanwhile our young, obese, over-educated Americans are just pumping their fists at the local Bernie Sanders rally. If one wants to become wealthy in America they need to do only three things: graduate from High School, get a job (...and then a better job...)and don't have children out of wedlock. 

Oh yes, its that simple. First you cannot compare the two cultures. The reasons why people from those cultures thrive is, and your gonna love this one Steve, is because the cultures they come from stress COLLECTIVISM over individualism. We have been taught in the US about individualism as sacred, above all else and then when the individual fails due to lack of collective support, you blame the individual.

You know you cannot teach a dog to bite and then get upset when it eats your cat.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Oh yes, its that simple. First you cannot compare the two cultures. The reasons why people from those cultures thrive is, and your gonna love this one Steve, is because the cultures they come from stress COLLECTIVISM over individualism. We have been taught in the US about individualism as sacred, above all else and then when the individual fails due to lack of collective support, you blame the individual.

You know you cannot teach a dog to bite and then get upset when it eats your cat.

Oh, believe me I know all about the individualism deficit over here. That said, once again you insist "it takes a village". No, it doesn't. Anyway, the point I was making is for such an oppressive society ("massive income inequality, the astronomical cost of higher education, and the cost of living FAR outdistancing income in general") there are so many HARD-WORKING people who start with NOTHING and still get it together. What it comes down is assimilation, and the willingness and ability to assimilate. Unfortunately, half the country thinks the way you do -- that they are Citizens of the World, hyphenated-Americans, that they can't find their own ass with both hands without being spoon-fed the answer by a politician, and that ultimately what ever the issue or problem is the only solution is more Big Government.  

On 3/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

This isn't necessarily directed back at you, but just for the sake of a potentially rational conversation on the subject; Who is responsible for birthing, raising, disciplining, and guiding these millennials that are lacking so much? Who created the nurturing society these over-dependant millennials adhere to? What generation has profited for decades off the tech, media, psych prescriptions, and student loans they've become entrapped in but sit back on their private island and complain about "these darn kids today"? Too many young adults today working low wage jobs? Wonder what's preventing them from achieving more? There's gotta be some legitimate reason, can't just use the tired trope of "lazy", because that's lazy itself. They're not educated enough? What generation were their teachers? Now we're getting somewhere. It's starting to look like the grand result of the last fifty years of exploitation and greed is ultimately the generation that is now deemed useless. Who's really at fault here and who actually deserves to complain? 

Now it's nothing personal to me as I'm out of the age group, but I find it astounding how the older generation, who can be heard for miles echoing the prospect of personal responsibility, completely refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions. Milliennials are the result, not the cause. Take some personal responsibility and point that finger right back at yourself.

Their teachers were THE PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS who were indoctrinating them. One reason was that for a public school teacher who gets a salary from the government, it makes sense to teach children that the answer is more always more government. More government means higher pensions for public school teacher. Business bad, government good.

50 minutes ago, kipper said:

Their teachers were THE PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS who were indoctrinating them. One reason was that for a public school teacher who gets a salary from the government, it makes sense to teach children that the answer is more always more government. More government means higher pensions for public school teacher. Business bad, government good.

Pretty much. Note also the same people (PukeFrogYum) who pin all the blame on parents (for why Millennials are the way they are) are the first people to demonize parents if they attempt to exert any parental control over their own children, for example to homeschool them or support school vouchers). One can't have it both ways, but then consistency is seldom associated with liberal viewpoints in general, and ultimately the rank hypocrisy becomes obvious. 

8 hours ago, kipper said:

Oh come on, you know that is just silly. I went to public schools and no teacher tried to indoctrinate me toward either a liberal or conservative view. Even in university I never experienced this nor has anyone I ever knew. Now my step-son is completing his degree in finance and he has not had this problem either.

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Pretty much. Note also the same people (PukeFrogYum) who pin all the blame on parents (for why Millennials are the way they are) are the first people to demonize parents if they attempt to exert any parental control over their own children, for example to homeschool them or support school vouchers). One can't have it both ways, but then consistency is seldom associated with liberal viewpoints in general, and ultimately the rank hypocrisy becomes obvious. 

What the hell are you blathering on about now old man? Where do you get the right to speak for me and my views? I was raised traditional and I still believe that is the best way (within reason) to raise a child. From 2+ to about 10 years you need to give them a spanking and take shit away when they misbehave. Over 10 you just take shit away, limit their movements, and even use shame in a tactical manner (this one always worked like a charm on me). I also do not believe in the Nuclear Family which IMO was just a way to get people to have to buy more useless crap and make families ore isolated in general. Why? Because it does take a village Steve, a village of family supporting family. The Walton's and such generations had that right and we need to embrace that mentality again. The mentality of familial collectivism, societal collectivism, within the framework of encouraging individualism in regard to self improvement and determination. You really think in this day and age we could mobilize as an entire nation along the lines of what we did, the sacrifice of WWII? No way in hell!

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Where do you get the right to speak for me and my views? 

You STILL flatly refuse to claim all the shark jumping viewpoints you have expressed here as your own? I don't blame you!

Posted (edited)

What a year it's been and we are only in March!! :wacko:

No one will forget "The Great Pandemic of 2020" in a hurry! 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, kipper said:

25 year public school teacher here who has never done that nor do I know anyone who does that.  I work really hard ever one of those days for the last 25 years just to hear liberals blame me for the "acheivement gap" (it seems that I'm awhite racist, imagine my surprise!), and conservatives whine about the "Mighty" teacher's union who "just want to protect bad teachers" (God, do I wish there was a "THE" teacher's union, we'd call a nation wide strike for better classroom discipline!)

We know very well when we make gross generalizations like these your likelyhood of accuracy is rather low...

Edited by chef free

On 3/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, SteveAJones said:

Show me your MBA, six figure annual salary and permanent residency visa or take a walk. Life's too short to waste on your posts.

If you're gonna brag about your intelligence then I'm gonna hold it to a high standard. So far you're in the "fat kid living in his parent's basement watching YouTube conspiracy videos and trolling people" level. You may be entirely different in person as we all know the internet allows us to hide behind a screen and express opinions we wouldn't in reality, but I have a hard time imagining you're accepted among any type of sophisticated society with the demeanor you have online. I suppose Hillary Clinton is fairly eductated as well and makes more than you. Do you bow to her opinions because of those things? Alright then. You can't make a case for your intelligence when you constantly say stupid shit.

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

Everyone is responsible for themselves. If a millennial, or anybody, can't find a way to make things work, it's on them.

So what are you saying? An entire generation is genetically different from the previous ones? That's a copout answer if there ever was one. I'm not saying millennials aren't flawed, I'm just interested in finding the real reason why instead of playing the blame game.

Edited by gibsonfan159

On 3/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, SteveAJones said:

Your university professors are all leftist globalists who insist the world will end in twelve years? Apply some critical thinking and hand their asses to them in the arena of ideas.   

I'm fairly certain that is 100% the death-cult religious conservatives who've been fantasizing about the end times for centuries and who will take every opportunity to destroy the environment if they can make a quick buck. 

14 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Oh come on, you know that is just silly. I went to public schools and no teacher tried to indoctrinate me toward either a liberal or conservative view. Even in university I never experienced this nor has anyone I ever knew. Now my step-son is completing his degree in finance and he has not had this problem either.

Depends on what era you went to public school, especially elementary school and high school.  Reason is because there wasn't as much polarization in the country (if we are talking about USA).  In the '60s and '70s MOST people were even if Republican or Democrat closer to the middle, so the same was with teachers too.

I never experienced a teacher who was an ideologue until I was in college, and then it was a proud Marxist.

But today public teachers in my state are by FAR to the left of center--- and even more on the progressive wing of that.

4 hours ago, chef free said:

25 year public school teacher here who has never done that nor do I know anyone who does that.  I work really hard ever one of those days for the last 25 years just to hear liberals blame me for the "acheivement gap" (it seems that I'm awhite racist, imagine my surprise!), and conservatives whine about the "Mighty" teacher's union who "just want to protect bad teachers" (God, do I wish there was a "THE" teacher's union, we'd call a nation wide strike for better classroom discipline!)

We know very well when we make gross generalizations like these your likelyhood of accuracy is rather low...

You would be a rare breed then, especially in Oakland.  But let me ask you since we both live in Kali (you north me south). Is it your opinion that the California teachers unions are more right of center, or more left of center?  Because if you look at the way teachers in this state vote, they aren't voting for conservative candidates or causes.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

If you're gonna brag about your intelligence then I'm gonna hold it to a high standard. So far you're in the "fat kid living in his parent's basement watching YouTube conspiracy videos and trolling people" level. You may be entirely different in person as we all know the internet allows us to hide behind a screen and express opinions we wouldn't in reality, but I have a hard time imagining you're accepted among any type of sophisticated society with the demeanor you have online. I suppose Hillary Clinton is fairly eductated as well and makes more than you. Do you bow to her opinions because of those things? Alright then. You can't make a case for your intelligence when you constantly say stupid shit.

Once again, I said that solely in response to your ridiculous notion that I'm complaining about lawn I don't have and that I don't have skin in the game. Everything else in the post above seems to be projection. You got thrashed! Wipe the blood off your face, get your nose and ass surgically repaired and try to remember next time that when you mess with a bull you will get the horns.

37 minutes ago, kipper said:

You would be a rare breed then, especially in Oakland.  But let me ask you since we both live in Kali (you north me south). Is it your opinion that the California teachers unions are more right of center, or more left of center?  Because if you look at the way teachers in this state vote, they aren't voting for conservative candidates or causes.

Now which one of you little scamps threw that?

4 minutes ago, redrum said:

Fast forward about 50 years....how's multiculturalism working out for us?

10 minutes ago, redrum said:

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm fairly certain that is 100% the death-cult religious conservatives who've been fantasizing about the end times for centuries and who will take every opportunity to destroy the environment if they can make a quick buck. 

Not a surprise that those of us who have been saving for a rainy day get demonized by the ones now scrambling for toilet paper.  

Posted (edited)

I think it is very unfair to paint all Millennials in the same brush and state that we are not taking the whole concept of social distancing seriously.

Speaking for myself, I am working from home and I am currently doing all my grocery shopping online. Haven't stepped out in days.

While it is true that there are some people in my age group out there who are not taking the advice issued by health care workers seriously, there is no need to blame an entire generation!!!! That is just petty behaviour. 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So what are you saying? An entire generation is genetically different from the previous ones? That's a copout answer if there ever was one. I'm not saying millennials aren't flawed, I'm just interested in finding the real reason why instead of playing the blame game.

Notice i said anybody.

In 2020, anybody has the tools to change their circumstances. For example, one can study on their own, for free online, to pass tests for IT certifications which, after getting a job and gaining some experience, will put one in a different tax bracket. Last time i checked, one can take A+, Network + and Security+ and spend under $2000. Apply some self discipline, save up and do it.

It's already been stated in this thread. The key is to acclimate to your circumstances. The pilgrims on the Mayflower, Lewis & Clark, astronauts.. they (under fucking dire circumstances)  had to acclimate to their circumstances to blaze a trail into the unknown. If a fucking kid can make fucking bank by having people watch him play video games on Youtube, we're living in a time with opportunities previously unimaginable. You don't need a government bailout. Figure it out and make this twisted era work for you. 

Now, if this pandemic destroys the economy and life as we currently know it....  F'KN  ACCLIMATE.

10 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Notice i said anybody.

In 2020, anybody has the tools to change their circumstances. For example, one can study on their own, for free online, to pass tests for IT certifications which, after getting a job and gaining some experience, will put one in a different tax bracket. Last time i checked, one can take A+, Network + and Security+ and spend under $2000. Apply some self discipline, save up and do it.

It's already been stated in this thread. The key is to acclimate to your circumstances. The pilgrims on the Mayflower, Lewis & Clark, astronauts.. they (under fucking dire circumstances)  had to acclimate to their circumstances to blaze a trail into the unknown. If a fucking kid can make fucking bank by having people watch him play video games on Youtube, we're living in a time with opportunities previously unimaginable. You don't need a government bailout. Figure it out and make this twisted era work for you. 

Now, if this pandemic destroys the economy and life as we currently know it....  F'KN  ACCLIMATE.

I will make you a deal, when we eliminate corporate welfare, then we can go after social welfare. That's fair, right?

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Once again, I said that solely in response to your ridiculous notion that I'm complaining about lawn I don't have and that I don't have skin in the game. Everything else in the post above seems to be projection. You got thrashed! Wipe the blood off your face, get your nose and ass surgically repaired and try to remember next time that when you mess with a bull you will get the horns.

:hysterical:

Now THAT was one funny-assed post. You sound like Trump on TV.