Woodstock 2009?

Jahfin

Wet, muddy and at times scary because I was there by myself. The only friends I had were the ones I made on the bus ride in from Syracuse and people I met at the festival. The music was great and went on nearly all hours of the day and night even if there was nothing happening on the main stages. I encountered people from all walks of life and from all over the world. There was also a lot of ground to cover there and I didn't even come close to seeing all of it. Once the rain set in it became rather difficult to get around but I still managed to see and hear lots of bands: Collective Soul, Violent Femmes, the Neville Brothers, Santana, Paul Rodgers backed by Slash, Jason Bonham and others, Jimmy Cliff, Aerosmith, Metallica, Green Day, Primus, The "Big Pink" Revue (with members of the Grateful Dead, the Band, the Byrds and others), the Cranberries, etc.

When I ventured down to the main stage on Saturday night to see Aerosmith the rain came in buckets and I had to retreat to a shelter where I could see them playing via a big screen. Meanwhile there was a gathering just a few miles away where the original Woodstock was held (I was at Winston farm where it was originally supposed to be held in '69). There was also supposed to be a concert there but it was called off just one week before the festival due to competition from Woodstock '94 and poor ticket sales. I got tempted a time or two to go check it out but never did. I understand some artists and fans showed up anyway. Due to the sheer number of people and the rain I didn't end up seeing a lot of the artists that played on the main stage other than the first night I was there but I was able to hear them from where I was camped (the North stage, if I remember correctly).

Thanks for sharing that. Some really great bands. Shame about the weather dampening all you could experience music wise. Did you find it "commercial" at all? I think that was a complaint by some critics but I'm wondering if it was that Woodstock or the one in 99 they were referring to.

Thanks for sharing that. Some really great bands. Shame about the weather dampening all you could experience music wise. Did you find it "commercial" at all? I think that was a complaint by some critics but I'm wondering if it was that Woodstock or the one in 99 they were referring to.

Yes, there was definitely a commercial aspect which Neil Young was very vocal about (I think he referred to it as "Vulturestock") but once things got underway all of that stuff fell by the wayside. Yes, Pepsi, Häagen-Dazs and MTV where all there but in my opinion none of that detracted from my overall experience. In fact, I never even saw any of the MTV people. Once the rain came and people starting getting in for free things changed and it became a different experience, at least for me.

Since making my last post I've been reading some info online from others that were there. Specifically, this site known as "The Well". The Well was one of the first things I remember reading about in relation to the internet and it had to do with the Grateful Dead fan community. Very cool site but as I said, I didn't even make it to that part of the festival where they were set up. By the way, I've since learned I was camped near the South Stage where Green Day, Jimmy Cliff, the Nevilles, Santana, Primus and many others played. I believe the North Stage was the "main stage".

map.gif

Yes, there was definitely a commercial aspect which Neil Young was very vocal about (I think he referred to it as "Vulturestock") but once things got underway all of that stuff fell by the wayside. Yes, Pepsi, Häagen-Dazs and MTV where all there but in my opinion none of that detracted from my overall experience. In fact, I never even saw any of the MTV people. Once the rain came and people starting getting in for free things changed and it became a different experience, at least for me.

Since making my last post I've been reading some info online from others that were there. Specifically, this this site known as "The Well". The Well was one of the first things I remember reading about in relation to the internet and it had to do with the Grateful Dead fan community. Very cool site but as I said, I didn't even make it to that part of the festival where they were set up. By the way, I've since learned I was camped near the South Stage where Green Day, Jimmy Cliff, the Nevilles, Santana, Primus and many others played. I believe the North Stage was the "main stage".

I do remember Neil being pretty vocal about it but I'm happy that once things got underway, that wasn't such a dominant thing and really became about the music and such. Would have been interesting if you could have made it to "The Well" to see what it was about.

map.gif

The Well was part of a multimedia set up at the festival where you could go online to help document the event. There were some other exhibits going on there as well. It's very interesting to read some of those posts now as the internet was still a very new thing in 1994. It's amazing how far it's all come since then.

Sounds like there may be concerts being planned in New York and Berlin later this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Looks like the original movie and soundtrack are being revisited (again) as well.

Woodstock's Michael Lang Seeking Sponsors For 2009 Festival In New York City

How's it going "Jahfin," my other buddy? My condolences in the loss of your older brother. I know what it feels like to lose a loved one and even many best friends. I've buried so many of my friends and family that it gets harder and more painful for me to go to a funeral. Time heals but you never forget. ROCK ON my friend!

If it were just about anyone else it wouldve been great performance for them, but for Hendrix that day it wasn't really there. I can list loads of better performances of his, but it was what it was & considering the circumstances I am really surprised he was still standing. He was supposed to appear on The Dick Cavett Show the next day with CSNY, Jefferson Airplane, Joni Mitchell, etc but he cancelled due to exhaustion. He appeared a week later still completely wiped out.

The Who on the other hand were completely peaking. Great set from them. Stole the show.

Hendrix had lots of other, better performances, sure (including, undoubtedly, the one I missed because I had chickenpox :rolleyes: ), but that doesn't change the fact that for me, anyway, that one was great. (The Who were great too--certainly one of their best nights.)

The Well was part of a multimedia set up at the festival where you could go online to help document the event. There were some other exhibits going on there as well. It's very interesting to read some of those posts now as the internet was still a very new thing in 1994. It's amazing how far it's all come since then.

That's true - I think the only aspect of the internet I was remotely aware of was email and I don't recall even at work, using it too much.

• 1 month later...

From Billboard.com:

The Levon Helm Band, Jefferson Starship To Headline Woodstock Anniversary Show

79093-levon_helm_2009_l.jpg

Levon Helm is set to headline the Woodstock 40th Anniversary Concert.

Some performers from the 1969 Woodstock concert will get back to the garden for a 40th anniversary show this summer.

On the bill for August 15 are The Levon Helm Band, Jefferson Starship, Big Brother and the Holding Co., Ten Years After, Canned Heat, Mountain, and Country Joe McDonald.

They'll perform at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Bethel. It was built on the site of the dairy farm trampled on by some 400,000 people on the weekend of Aug. 15-17, 1969.

It includes an amphitheater and a museum up the hill from the original stage.

The returning acts feature some Woodstock veterans, including Helm, who performed in '69 with The Band.

From Billboard.com:

The Levon Helm Band, Jefferson Starship To Headline Woodstock Anniversary Show

79093-levon_helm_2009_l.jpg

Levon Helm is set to headline the Woodstock 40th Anniversary Concert.

Some performers from the 1969 Woodstock concert will get back to the garden for a 40th anniversary show this summer.

On the bill for August 15 are The Levon Helm Band, Jefferson Starship, Big Brother and the Holding Co., Ten Years After, Canned Heat, Mountain, and Country Joe McDonald.

They'll perform at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Bethel. It was built on the site of the dairy farm trampled on by some 400,000 people on the weekend of Aug. 15-17, 1969.

It includes an amphitheater and a museum up the hill from the original stage.

The returning acts feature some Woodstock veterans, including Helm, who performed in '69 with The Band.

Getting some of the acts that played there originally in 1969 sounds interesting. Wonder if it will be televised?

^^Maybe that travelling Hendrix tour with alotta great guitar players will show up, maybe the Who, Fogerty

Whoever is dissing Jimi's Woodstock performance is f'in high. That has to be without a doubt my favorite Hendrix playin. It's alot more rockin than alot of his other live albums.

How's it going "jimmie ray?" The studio version of "The Star Spangled Banner" even sounds incredible. ROCK ON!

No, I meant that I don't care for it. It's interesting that he did it, but I don't find it musically appealing. Almost everything else Jimi did sounds incredible, so we can still ROCK ON!!!

I hope it'll be televised. It is cool some of the original performers will be there.

Jorma and Jack are doing a Tuna show a few days later, in upstate New York. I didn't hear of any rumours that they would show, but Jorma did work with Levon Helm recently, and it would be a chance to do a couple of Airplane songs with Paul Kantner?

Why on earth are they doing this? Does anyone really want to see a bunch of aging hippies try to recapture their youth like this?

Woodstock was a phenomenal event, a cultural landmark. Can't we be left with those memories (if you were there) or the film/soundtrack (if you weren't) and let that be enough?

Why on earth are they doing this? Does anyone really want to see a bunch of aging hippies try to recapture their youth like this?

Woodstock was a phenomenal event, a cultural landmark. Can't we be left with those memories (if you were there) or the film/soundtrack (if you weren't) and let that be enough?

It's good they do it, certain people still have to get stoned at least once in their lifetime.....so this might be their chance.

(Wir wollen Drogen und Schnaps und Fickificki macken)

I'd love to see Levon Helm at some point but I'm not going all the way to NY to do it unless it's for one of his infamous Rambles.

Speakng of the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, here's a link to the press release for the upcoming collector's edition of the CD/DVD box set.

Looking forward to seeing this this summer:

Jorma and Jack are doing a Tuna show a few days later, in upstate New York. I didn't hear of any rumours that they would show, but Jorma did work with Levon Helm recently, and it would be a chance to do a couple of Airplane songs with Paul Kantner?

Well that would be something to see Jorma with Paul Kantner.

I agree! Two of my favorite musicians ever. :D

Your member name, "Eskimo Blue Day", is a Jefferson Airplane song? I think Paul Kantner has created friction over the years with some of the past Airplane members, over rights to the group's name. But maybe some partial reunion may happen, someday...

Your member name, "Eskimo Blue Day", is a Jefferson Airplane song? I think Paul Kantner has created friction over the years with some of the past Airplane members, over rights to the group's name. But maybe some partial reunion may happen, someday...

Yes, my member name is a JA song, nicely spotted. :D I'm not sure I'd lay total blame for the friction over the band's name on Paul. I think equal amounts of friction have been caused by the band's manager, Bill Thompson, who I believe sues former members over the use of the band's various names at regular intervals. :D But -- I feel bad for Paul. During the 80's, he lost control of the band that he helped create and then had to fight about being able to use the name. It's really too bad.

Yes, my member name is a JA song, nicely spotted. :D I'm not sure I'd lay total blame for the friction over the band's name on Paul. I think equal amounts of friction have been caused by the band's manager, Bill Thompson, who I believe sues former members over the use of the band's various names at regular intervals. :D But -- I feel bad for Paul. During the 80's, he lost control of the band that he helped create and then had to fight about being able to use the name. It's really too bad.

It is too bad, and a frequent cause of dispute with many musicians. But in this case, Paul needs to realize there are alot of people who would still expect to see Grace Slick, as well as the others, on stage if he uses that name. I used to belong to the JA forum, and this came up all the time.

Do you think these "aging hippies" really give a shit about recapturing their youth? And if they were, then what's so bad about that?

What's wrong with people trying to live and have a good time? Why do you give a fuck about what other people want to do?

:rolleyes:

Archived