The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

For, lo, the winter is past,

The rain is over and gone;

The flowers appear on the earth;

The time of the singing of birds is come,

And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

First, I'd like to express my sorrow at the passing of George Kell today. Many a Tiger fan my age grew up listening to his Arkansas twang on TV......"Thank-you Al and good afternoon everyone. We've got a heck of a day for baseball. Oohhh he hit a mile ! He was a Hall-of Famer, and probably the most underrated 3rd baseman to ever play the game. He was pure class....Rest in Peace Dude !

http://detnews.com/article/20090324/SPORTS...eorge+Kell+dies

GeorgeKell.jpg

The Jays are going to stink again this season. We are almost done with another lousy leafs season and we are heading into another lousy Jays season. Toronto is one of the worst sports towns around now.

People around town seem very high on the Tiger's chances, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. This team does have a history of coming thru when this town needs a distraction, and boy could we use it now. :blink: I think our defense will improve with Inge back at 3rd base and a new shortstop, but I think our pitching has way too many question marks again. I'll keep my mouth shut about Sheffield until June 1st. I think a major trade is pending with Marcus Thames going somewhere for some pitching (maybe the Mets ?).

Dear God (Obama if not available)

Please don't let the cubs break my heart this year. Pray for them to shit or get off the pot. If they shall not win the world series, let it be know early in the season that they will not win so i may go play gods game, Golf.

Pb Derigable

For, lo, the winter is past,

The rain is over and gone;

The flowers appear on the earth;

The time of the singing of birds is come,

And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

First, I'd like to express my sorrow at the passing of George Kell today. Many a Tiger fan my age grew up listening to his Arkansas twang on TV......"Thank-you Al and good afternoon everyone. We've got a heck of a day for baseball. Oohhh he hit a mile ! He was a Hall-of Famer, and probably the most underrated 3rd baseman to ever play the game. He was pure class....Rest in Peace Dude !

http://detnews.com/article/20090324/SPORTS...eorge+Kell+dies

GeorgeKell.jpg

I hadn't heard this... this is, indeed, quite sad. Kell ended his career in Baltimore as a fellow Arkansan, Brooks Robinson, was starting his. Fine men, both of them!

RIP

Id love to go there someday. My favorite player of all time is Brooks Robinson. And then Palmer and McNally. I hope their pitching is better this year but I doubt it.

Brooks is without peer - my favorite player too! My brother's favorite was always McNally. Ah...the good old days.....

My offer stands for whenever you get here. Just let me know!

Oh yeah,I remember them.I went to a couple of games.Also went to see the Crusaders (WHA) at the Richfield Coliseum too.Hockey wasn't big in Cleveland.I moved there in the mid 70's from Massachusetts.I was a diehard Bruins/Red Sox fan as well as the Whalers...I just happened to be able to see lots Indians games when I moved there and have followed them since!

Go Tribe!! I think that we'll have a good year.Peter Gammons thinks so too! You can usually count on his musings! ;)

I certainly respect his opinion. In that division I would say they have to have a good shot. Better than my damn Orioles.

Probably the toughest division in all of baseball,the AL East has probably the 3 best teams in both leagues,Yankees,Red Sox and they are expecting the Rays to be dominant again this year.Sorry Yuk!

Probably the toughest division in all of baseball,the AL East has probably the 3 best teams in both leagues,Yankees,Red Sox and they are expecting the Rays to be dominant again this year.Sorry Yuk!

Yeah - the Yankees are sooooo good this year, they got at least 4 DH's. Now that's money well spent!?

There sure seems to alot of teams willing to eat big bucks, just to get rid of guys these days. And the morons who make these decisions on contracts get some mighty big bucks, too.

Yep, and the clincher here is we have to pay him $14 million regardless if we cut him or not.

The Mets picked up Sheffield. So the Tigers pay off the rest of his contract, and the Mets pay $ 400,000 for an intimidating pinch hitter / platoon outfielder that boosters an interest in attending games at their new stadium. If he can keep his mouth shut, this seems like a steal - assuming his bat speed is still what I remember. They did address the relief pitching situation that kept them out of the playoffs the past few years...

Well I just became a Mets hater.

Because of Sheffield, or other reasons? My first ball game was at Shea stadium. Not alot to like about the place or the team at that time, but something about being there with friends was something to remember.

I wonder if they will come to Buffalo to play the Bisons? Ill give him a beer shower.

No chance. I had seen Sheffield endure some brutal fan interaction during his Yankee playing days - smacked in the head while trying to make plays.

Well I just became a Mets hater.

I'm a lifelong Mets fan and I am not too happy about them getting Sheffield. WTF were they thinking?? He's just been a DH & hasn't played in the outfield for years, right? I hope they will trade him to another team- if another team will take him.

Archived