Violin Bow

moffo

The other day my girlfriend asked me about the violin bow on Dazed & Confused and I didn't have the answers, so your help is required!!!

How did He come about playing guitar with a bow? Was He the first to do it? Is He the only major player to do this? And any other info on this subject is more than welcome!

The other day my girlfriend asked me about the violin bow on Dazed & Confused and I didn't have the answers, so your help is required!!!

How did He come about playing guitar with a bow? Was He the first to do it? Is He the only major player to do this? And any other info on this subject is more than welcome!

This was a technique he developed during his session days, and showcased with The Yardbirds, although strictly speaking he was not the first guitarist to use a bow, since Eddie Phillips of The Creation had done so prior to him. Jimmy said he obtained the idea of playing the guitar with a bow from David McCallum, Sr. a fellow session musican.

Jimmy used his Fender Telecaster and later his Gibson Les Paul for his bow solos.

Jimmy was a favorite session musician of famed producer, Shel Talmy. Talmy had used Page on session work for the Who and the Kinks among others. One of Talmy's pet projects was the Creation. Phillips, lead guitarist, employed a violin bow on his guitar on two 1966 singles, "Painter Man" and "Making Time." It's worth musing over whether Page ever happened to see Phillips use the violin bow in the studio.

Talmy himself has no doubts about it. In the book, Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Roll, he shared his views on Eddie Phillips and Jimmy Page with author Richie Unterberger. "He (Phillips) was one of the most innovative guitarists I've ever run across. Jimmy Page stole the bowing bit of the guitar from Eddie. Eddie was phenomenal," Talmy said.

Jimmy claims he didn't meet Eddie Phillips until Jim McCarty's 50th birthday party in '94.

This was a technique he developed during his session days, and showcased with The Yardbirds, although strictly speaking he was not the first guitarist to use a bow, since Eddie Phillips of The Creation had done so prior to him. Jimmy said he obtained the idea of playing the guitar with a bow from David McCallum, Sr. a fellow session musican.

Jimmy used his Fender Telecaster and later his Gibson Les Paul for his bow solos.

Jimmy was a favorite session musician of famed producer, Shel Talmy. Talmy had used Page on session work for the Who and the Kinks among others. One of Talmy's pet projects was the Creation. Phillips, lead guitarist, employed a violin bow on his guitar on two 1966 singles, "Painter Man" and "Making Time." It's worth musing over whether Page ever happened to see Phillips use the violin bow in the studio.

Talmy himself has no doubts about it. In the book, Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Roll, he shared his views on Eddie Phillips and Jimmy Page with author Richie Unterberger. "He (Phillips) was one of the most innovative guitarists I've ever run across. Jimmy Page stole the bowing bit of the guitar from Eddie. Eddie was phenomenal," Talmy said.

Jimmy claims he didn't meet Eddie Phillips until Jim McCarty's 50th birthday party in '94.

Hi Steve,

If Mr Philips used the tecnique with the bow in 1966, then is it possible that Jimmy gave him the idea as Jimmy would still have been doing session work at that time, prior to joining the Yardbirds. Even if not, Jimmys use of the bow has far outlasted Philips or anyone elses use of it.

Regards, Danny

The legitimate answer has been given, but if you want to read the fun story... you know, the one which helps sell millions of books... then check out Stephen Davis' account of Nicolo Paganini. That whole violin bow... yeah... it's straight from Satan himself... :o:blink:

Thanks Steve!!!

Archived