Led Zeppelin themed video game (guitar hero or rock band)

Hey im a big fan of both music and videogames and i was wondering what you guys think of having a video game based on them, like Guitar Hero or Rock Band. I would prefer Guitar Hero but I think that this is very good idea. I think that it would be a good way for the band to spread their music to a new generation. Please tell me what you think and im sorry if someone has posted this topic already. I have searched for it and couldn't find anything. God Bless and Led Zeppelin forever!

Jimmy Page does not want to license the Led Zeppelin master recordings for use in music video games. He doesn't want strangers tampering with the original tapes.

I think having Led Zeppelin's music in Guitar Hero or Rock Band (preferably Rock Band because Guitar Hero are a bunch of sellouts who are whoring the franchise into Oblivion.) would be a good thing. It would get otherwise non-fans partially interested in Zep at the bare minimum. But I respect Page and the remaining band members protection of Led Zeppelin's integrity. But once The Beatles: Rock Band rolls along this September I think the boys will make a turn around.

Also, I can't wait for some idiot to say "play real guitar." Yeah, and people who play Call of Duty should become anti-terrorist operatives, right?

Jimmy Page does not want to license the Led Zeppelin master recordings for use in music video games. He doesn't want strangers tampering with the original tapes.

I think having Led Zeppelin's music in Guitar Hero or Rock Band (preferably Rock Band because Guitar Hero are a bunch of sellouts who are whoring the franchise into Oblivion.) would be a good thing. It would get otherwise non-fans partially interested in Zep at the bare minimum. But I respect Page and the remaining band members protection of Led Zeppelin's integrity. But once The Beatles: Rock Band rolls along this September I think the boys will make a turn around.

Also, I can't wait for some idiot to say "play real guitar." Yeah, and people who play Call of Duty should become anti-terrorist operatives, right?

Really? I had no idea that Jimmy felt that way. I too respect the band mates and their decision and your probably right, once they see The Beatles: Rock Band thet'll probably reconsider their decision. And yeah, i bet those people are going to say that. That last part had me laughing hard too.

Really? I had no idea that Jimmy felt that way. I too respect the band mates and their decision and your probably right, once they see The Beatles: Rock Band thet'll probably reconsider their decision. And yeah, i bet those people are going to say that. That last part had me laughing hard too.

I don't see how Neversoft (Guitar Hero developer) and Harmonix (Rock Band developer) couldn't just fly Jimmy out and have him supervise the mastering process. It's not like he's touring or anything. Harmonix's audio mixing team worked with Giles Martin to remaster The Beatles songs for their game.

I don't see how Neversoft (Guitar Hero developer) and Harmonix (Rock Band developer) couldn't just fly Jimmy out and have him supervise the mastering process. It's not like he's touring or anything. Harmonix's audio mixing team worked with Giles Martin to remaster The Beatles songs for their game.

Good point!

If you are still waiting for that comment then you obviously missed it the first time this topic was discussed. Some yahoo came on here and claimed that he worked for a video game company and that the sessions with Jimmy, John Paul and Jason were involved in were specifically for a new video game. A lot of the comments (i.e. backlash) from some echoed the nonsense you mentioned above and more.

I really do like that analogy, btw. I guess to continue on that line of thought, I can't wait for nuclear holocaust so that I can roam the Wasteland just like in Fallout 3.

Nah the game would be physically impossible. Even if you got 100% on a song you could actually only get like 47% maybe cause you could never play it as good as Zeppelin.

While that is true as playing the real instruments is much harder, the game shouldnt be about playing better then Led Zeppelin(No one play as good as them anyway so it wouldn't matter). It should be a celebration of the band. The game would serve as symbol of rememberence and influence Led Zeppelin had on the world. The game could also get people more interested in their music and increase their fanbase. The more fans of Led Zeppelin the better as their music is just so good. It's good to spread the goodness. Well this is all my opinion so if you disagree, that's okay. God Bless and Led Zeppelin forever!

I'm not too sure if Zeppelin's early music would work in these games. Zeppelin 1 was just recorded on a 4 track and the guitar tracks need to be separated. Zeppelin 2 was recorded at many different places and it would be unlikely to have the full album in a game. Just some random thoughts.

:wall: Not this again!

But once The Beatles: Rock Band rolls along this September I think the boys will make a turn around.

Damnit! Then I'll have to change my signature <_<

I'm actually not going to say anything this time :D

I just got through a "marathon session" on my guitar, and right now Zeppelin Rock Band sounds pretty good.

A Zepp Rock Band game would be amazing. And no it wouldn't be too impossible for everyone. That's like saying it's too hard to play a guitar so why should anyone pick one up. That type of attitude would make people just do nothing. Jimmy Page would have to monitor the entire process.

No, I don't think that it would be a good idea. People seem to think they are huge fans of bands that they know who are in those games. It all becomes a fad, and I don't want Zeppelin to be a fad.

No, I don't think that it would be a good idea. People seem to think they are huge fans of bands that they know who are in those games. It all becomes a fad, and I don't want Zeppelin to be a fad.

Yes.

And Jimmy won't license.

I'm not against the idea, as it'll help bring Zeppelin to an entirely young audience, but what you are going to have to look forward are the multitrack rips, here I am, having dreams of hearing isolated Bonzo tracks, apart from those circulating ITTOD takes.

With all of the remastered releases and other things were getting now, wouldn't they have to be a little careful? I mean, how many different ways can their be in the market for Led Zeppelin to separate people from their money?

I know Jimmy has said the master tapes issue is a big holdup, but one thing they've always been about is limiting ways others can make money off the band. I can see them thinking that they would prefer to set up their own gaming branch rather than set up a deal with another corporation.

Another thing is that some of Jimmy's tunings are still part of the mystery of his sound, and would those types of things then be revealed? ... to say nothing of the other parts of their mystique.

With all of the remastered releases and other things were getting now, wouldn't they have to be a little careful? I mean, how many different ways can their be in the market for Led Zeppelin to separate people from their money?

I know Jimmy has said the master tapes issue is a big holdup, but one thing they've always been about is limiting ways others can make money off the band. I can see them thinking that they would prefer to set up their own gaming branch rather than set up a deal with another corporation.

Another thing is that some of Jimmy's tunings are still part of the mystery of his sound, and would those types of things then be revealed? ... to say nothing of the other parts of their mystique.

I think that's another reason, too. With the reunion in 07, Mothership, TSRTS re-release, and reunion tour rumors I think Jimmy didn't want people to get the idea that Led Zeppelin are still an active band.

The tunings would be revealed to a very small group of people who are under a stack of non-disclosure agreements, so I don't think that was a factor.

I have 3 kids ages 11 - 15 (2 boys and 1 girl) and they play Rock Band together and I join in from time to time. It is a blast and also introduces them to music I really enjoy. I play drums and find it frustrating to not be able to effectively play the drums on Rock Band when I know I can play the song on real drums. The point is that this is a great thing to do as a family or with friends. We cannot wait for the Beatles RB to come out. Maybe Jimmy will follow in a similar way as with Itunes. The Beatles announced they would allow their catalogue to be sold digitally and then a few months later Zeppelin followed.

Dude, COD are good games. I would like an all Zeppelin game because some people will actually learn about them and maybe stop saying "oh yea, that one guy."

I wouldn't say it's a fad. Many people love the stuff. However, I do understand what you mean when you say people say that they are big fans of specific groups when they only know one song because of rock band or guitar hero. I see so many people weaing a shirt with one of my favorite groups and i ask them"Oh, you like (insert specific group here)?" About 75% of the time they say "Who are they?" I reply fairly annoyed "They're on your shirt." And then they say "Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of them. My favorite song is(insert song here from guitar hero or rock band)." I then question them and say "Yeah right. Name the members of the band. Name four of their albums or ten of their songs." They usually get an embarrased look and walk away. These situations annoy me very much because why would you where a shirt with a band that you don't know? I know i shouldn't be assuming that much but it's just very frustrating.

I have 3 kids ages 11 - 15 (2 boys and 1 girl) and they play Rock Band together and I join in from time to time. It is a blast and also introduces them to music I really enjoy. I play drums and find it frustrating to not be able to effectively play the drums on Rock Band when I know I can play the song on real drums. The point is that this is a great thing to do as a family or with friends. We cannot wait for the Beatles RB to come out. Maybe Jimmy will follow in a similar way as with Itunes. The Beatles announced they would allow their catalogue to be sold digitally and then a few months later Zeppelin followed.

Really? i had no idea that there were digital downloads for the beatles. Can you tell me where to get them? Everytime I look for them on itunes i can't find them. Help! I need the Beatles on my ipod!

Really? i had no idea that there were digital downloads for the beatles. Can you tell me where to get them? Everytime I look for them on itunes i can't find them. Help! I need the Beatles on my ipod!

The Beatles are not on iTunes or any other digital distribution medium. He was talking about how Jimmy Page was thoroughly against digital distribution of Led Zeppelin's music, but eventually allowed the Zeppelin catalog to be sold through iTunes.

Archived