Stuck on "The Battle of Evermore"

The Aging Hippies

Hello, this is our first post, and yes, we are newbie's to this, so please be gentle.

We are trying to find out who the female vocalist was that sang with Robert Plant on the Battle of Evermore. Also, we're trying to find the sheet music for it too. If anyone can help us out, please let us know.

Thanks,

Wayne and Shirley - The Aging Hippies

Hello, this is our first post, and yes, we are newbie's to this, so please be gentle.

We are trying to find out who the female vocalist was that sang with Robert Plant on the Battle of Evermore. Also, we're trying to find the sheet music for it too. If anyone can help us out, please let us know.

Thanks,

:welcome2:

Hi Wayne and Shirley

This might help, i know its Tab and not sheet music but at least you can get things started untill you find what you want.

http://www.guitaretab.com/l/led-zeppelin/27280.html

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/index.php?m=byalbum

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/tab...les/t-4-3-g.php

Regards, Danny

Hello Danny,

Thanks alot, I've got several Led Zeppelin Song Books, with the music from the first 2 albums, but Shirley and I will check out those url's.

Again, thanks for your help.

Wayne

:welcome2:

Hi Wayne and Shirley

This might help, i know its Tab and not sheet music but at least you can get things started untill you find what you want.

http://www.guitaretab.com/l/led-zeppelin/27280.html

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/index.php?m=byalbum

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/tab...les/t-4-3-g.php

Regards, Danny

Hello Danny,

Thanks alot, I've got several Led Zeppelin Song Books, with the music from the first 2 albums, but Shirley and I will check out those url's.

Again, thanks for your help.

Wayne

Glad to be of help Wayne.

Regards, Danny

The singer is Sandy Denny. As far as sheet music, I'd check local music stores or search online to see. I think I've seen a guitar book for the whole 4th album but I'm not sure if it was that or just Zep songs in general.

Thanks ninelives, we looked up Sandy Denny on the internet last night. What a tragic life she had, but she could sing like an angel. We listened to some of her solo music, thought she was great, then learned about her early death at age 31 from a brain injury.

As far as the sheet music, I've only seen the "Tab" music for the 4th Album, but not the sheet music. I guess I'm old school, but I don't read tab. There is a book of sheet music on the 4th Album I'm sure at Musicnote.com for about $100.00, but all I really wanted was the music for the Battle of Evermore to get the Mandolin part.

Again, thanks for your response to our post.

Wayne & Shirley, The Aging Hippies

Thanks,

Hi you Aging Hippies,

I found this on Amazon, it might be what your looking for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-M-P-Led-Zeppelin...2277&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Zeppelin-Compl...2277&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_8axiwdsrw1_b

I have both of these books, they are proper music notations not tabs, let me know how you get on.

Regards, Danny

Thanks ninelives, we looked up Sandy Denny on the internet last night. What a tragic life she had, but she could sing like an angel. We listened to some of her solo music, thought she was great, then learned about her early death at age 31 from a brain injury.

As far as the sheet music, I've only seen the "Tab" music for the 4th Album, but not the sheet music. I guess I'm old school, but I don't read tab. There is a book of sheet music on the 4th Album I'm sure at Musicnote.com for about $100.00, but all I really wanted was the music for the Battle of Evermore to get the Mandolin part.

You're welcome. Sandy's voice is incredible. Someone sent me a five cd collection that is well worth getting.

Maybe there's some books on Ebay that would be cheaper? Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

You're welcome. Sandy's voice is incredible. Someone sent me a five cd collection that is well worth getting.

Maybe there's some books on Ebay that would be cheaper? Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Message me and i can make a video to show you how to play the mandolin part.. either the studio recording or the way pagey played it in 1977.

Seriously.

I went to a concert in 1969 where Sandy Denny sang with Fairport Convention before Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin appeared later in the show.

Crazy Lady Blues by Sandy Denny Live 1971

Hello eternal light,

That sounds like it was an incredible show, wish we could've seen that one too, and - thanks for the youtube video link. I'm going to go check it out right now.

It was nice to hear from you and thanks again for your response.

Wayne & Shirley - The Aging Hippies

That'd be great except I don't play the mandolin :D

that's ok ninelives,

we've got quite a collection of different instruments - I'm sure you could find something here that would make a joyful noise for you - if you wanted to play some music I mean

By the way, I've been playing music all my life, but I'm still pretty much of a beginner on the mandolin - but I'm finding it fairly easy to learn and play. I got most of "The Battle of Evermore" down in one day, but I need the sheet music to help me figure out the introduction, and the bridge.

Thanks for your response.

Wayne & Shirley - The Aging Hippes

Hello again ninelives,

I know I need to look around a lot more for it. I know of a website called MusicNote.com, but they are kinda pricey and usually they want to sell an entire album's worth of songs. I think I saw LZ-IV there and it was nearly $100.00..... I know the dollar isn't worth much anymore, but damn, I thought that was crazy. Also, I have quite a bit of their sheet music already, and I can't see buying a book that has a bunch of songs in it that I already have.....

I know, I sound like I'm whinning - and I hate whinning so I'll stop.

Yes, we agree, Sandy Denny's voice was incredible - we watched her on youtube the other night. What a shame that we lost her before she was able to reveal all of the talent that she had to the world. It's obvious that she had a lot more music in her.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Talk to you Later,

Message me and i can make a video to show you how to play the mandolin part.. either the studio recording or the way pagey played it in 1977.

Seriously.

Hello luap1236,

Yes, that would be great. I'm working on the studio version now, but I would love to have both. Our email is ShirleyandWayne@Comcast.net. Whatever you can do, we would really appreciate. We've got a small project studio in our home, and Shirley and I are having fun working on a cover of it. I think I've pretty much got the verse progression down, but I still need help on the introduction, and the bridges in between the verses. There also seems to be slight differences in the way Page played it everytime the progression turned around, but - I don't know, that may just be my ears playing tricks on me. Still, a video of it would really help me identify all of the intricate nuances Page always puts into everything he does. So again, seriously, we would really appreciate it if you could help us out.

Thanks,

that's ok ninelives,

we've got quite a collection of different instruments - I'm sure you could find something here that would make a joyful noise for you - if you wanted to play some music I mean

By the way, I've been playing music all my life, but I'm still pretty much of a beginner on the mandolin - but I'm finding it fairly easy to learn and play. I got most of "The Battle of Evermore" down in one day, but I need the sheet music to help me figure out the introduction, and the bridge.

Thanks for your response.

Wayne & Shirley - The Aging Hippes

My parents have my grandfather's mandolin but I have yet to sit down and try to figure it out. I can play guitar but I don't know if that helps at all.

Found this on Musicnotes - It's just BEM. I know it's not marked as mandolin, but with the actual music instead of TAB, it should be more help.

My parents have my grandfather's mandolin but I have yet to sit down and try to figure it out. I can play guitar but I don't know if that helps at all.

Hello ninelives,

I've been playing guitar since I could hold one, but never touched a mandolin until just recently. I've wanted one for years, so much so that I already a couple of old Mel Bay Mandolin Music Books, but never actually got around to getting one because there was always another guitar to buy. So finally my wife (Shirley) got me a very nice one last weekend. I learned The Battle for Evermore, except for the introduction and the bridges in between the verses already. If I can do it, you can too. Go get your Grandfather's mandolin and sit down with it. It's tuned to the 5th - like a violin. Good Luck

Hello ninelives,

I've been playing guitar since I could hold one, but never touched a mandolin until just recently. I've wanted one for years, so much so that I already a couple of old Mel Bay Mandolin Music Books, but never actually got around to getting one because there was always another guitar to buy. So finally my wife (Shirley) got me a very nice one last weekend. I learned The Battle for Evermore, except for the introduction and the bridges in between the verses already. If I can do it, you can too. Go get your Grandfather's mandolin and sit down with it. It's tuned to the 5th - like a violin. Good Luck

Thanks for the encouragement :D Of course I'll have to ask my parents if I can have it <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Hello ninelives,

Hello, ninelives,

I highly recommend "Just Led Zeppelin Real Book--Complete" pub. Warner Bros. 2004. It's a 'fake' book. Hope this book helps--It contains chord frames (old school :)). Within the songs though, are only the chord names. I do love the arrangement of "Battle" for guitar. It starts with Am, G, Am, etc. Someone taught me to make it sound like the mandolin by fingering another version of Am way up the register (the neck). Then I try to recreate that beauteous cross-rhythm. Enjoy!

Hello ninelives,

Oh, hello, Aging Hippies. Me again! I thought about it and yes, there's yet another great book (not to buy--it's tabs) to quickly look @ in the store. It's "Acoustic Classics--Led Zeppelin, Vol. 2". In it, are the tabs for "Battle of Evermore". Just bite the bullet and look at the guitar tabs for 2 measures. Then figure out the progression. Then enjoy playing on the high register (cutaway guitar) to get that mandolin sound. By the way, congrats on owning a mandolin!

Archived