Yardbirds to play one off

Medhb

11:10am Sunday 29th March 2009

By Chris Caulfield »

A legendary band that kick started the careers of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page will be playing a one-off gig in Twickenham next month.

The Yardbirds, one of the pioneers of the British rhythm and blues scene along with the the Animals and the Rolling Stones, will be the first band to play the new Live Room at Twickenham Stadium.

The April 24 show is being promoted by the Eel Pie Club.

Gina Way, co-owner of the Eel Pie Club said: “The driving harmonica of the Yardbirds is the very essence of the Richmond rhythm and blues sound of the 1960s.

"As The Yardbirds played their very first gig on Eel Pie Island, it is fitting that they will be playing in Twickenham once again on the day we pay tribute to the music legends of Eel Pie.”

The band boasts two of its original members, Jim McCarty and Chris Dreja.

Doors open at 7.30pm with the first band on stage an hour later.

Tickets for the gig are £22 in advance or £19.50 for Eel Pie Club members. For further details, visit www.eelpieclub.com or call 07732 322610.

This event is supported by the Rugby Football Union and part of the proceeds will be donated to the mayor of Richmond’s charities.

As anyone knows who frequent their site....

I'm assuming you're in the minority but perhaps not. SORRY to be sucha rube. :blink:

I don't spend a lot of time hanging around their site. Saw a headline and thought I'd share it.

A legendary band that kick started the careers of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page will be playing a one-off gig in Twickenham next month.

The Yardbirds, one of the pioneers of the British rhythm and blues scene along with the the Animals and the Rolling Stones, will be the first band to play the new Live Room at Twickenham Stadium.

Today (March 30) is Eric Clapton's birthday (b. 1945). I find it a fun coincidence reading this piece of news, as I've got Clapton on shuffle in my iPod today.

I have always kind of wondered how Jimmy Page and Clapton get along? Especially in recent years. Its always seemed to me that Clapton hasn't really given Led Zeppelin the respect they deserve. I think out of jealousy in ways. To me Clapton as big and famous as he is, never really was in the same league as Led Zeppelin. No way.

Clapton gives the earlier generations of bluesman the respect they deserve, and has always actively collaborated and performed with them, as well as many of his peers. Zep was the greatest band during their time together - but outside of that, their members have not honored the blues to the same level as Clapton and many others. No way.

As anyone knows who frequent their site....

I'm assuming you're in the minority but perhaps not. SORRY to be sucha rube. :blink:

I don't spend a lot of time hanging around their site. Saw a headline and thought I'd share it.

ahhh, there there. my comment about the content of the post is no reflection on you. all post with zep related content is welcome by me. i was pointing out that the use of the phrase "one-off" is probably a promoter jacking it up by inferring that this is it as far as the yardbirds are concerned. in which case, the potential ticket-buying public needs to know the real deal.

so, belatedly, thanks for posting.l

and, y'know, after all this time, i still don't know what a rube is.....

ahhh, there there. my comment about the content of the post is no reflection on you. all post with zep related content is welcome by me. i was pointing out that the use of the phrase "one-off" is probably a promoter jacking it up by inferring that this is it as far as the yardbirds are concerned. in which case, the potential ticket-buying public needs to know the real deal.

so, belatedly, thanks for posting.l

and, y'know, after all this time, i still don't know what a rube is.....

Sorry, I know I was being touchy. Bad day and felt I was being condescened to with the "as anyone who visits their site knows..." comment. As far as the reality of the statement your point is certainly valid! Still....I'd go see them! However, would much rather see Jeff in his current tour. He really is an amazing player.

Shit, can't believe I missed Erics bd. And no, Eric never thought too highly of Zep. He didn't dis (at least publicly that I know of) them but they just weren't true bluesmen to him. He left a lot of good bands that were making great music that wasn't 'bluesy' enough for him. I like the guy. He's in my top 10.

Sorry, I know I was being touchy. Bad day and felt I was being condescened to with the "as anyone who visits their site knows..." comment. As far as the reality of the statement your point is certainly valid! Still....I'd go see them! However, would much rather see Jeff in his current tour. He really is an amazing player.

Shit, can't believe I missed Erics bd. And no, Eric never thought too highly of Zep. He didn't dis (at least publicly that I know of) them but they just weren't true bluesmen to him. He left a lot of good bands that were making great music that wasn't 'bluesy' enough for him. I like the guy. He's in my top 10.

This has always puzzled me about Clapton, this purity in blues. It smacks a bit of elitism, but also of seeking a kind of perfection that doesn't exist. I get what he was alluding to, but Zep never claimed to be true bluesmen anyway. This kind of intensity sometimes made EC's efforts seem a bit stifled, in my opinion. I've seen him live a couple of times, and the concerts were over-rehearsed, if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him as a musician, it's just that often the live songs were too much like the albums, very little deviation, which was really surprising.

All that said, I'd still love to be there for this, thanks for the info.

This kind of intensity sometimes made EC's efforts seem a bit stifled, in my opinion. I've seen him live a couple of times, and the concerts were over-rehearsed, if that makes sense.

There was one time when being over-rehearsed really worked for him and that was when he put together the Concert For George thing, which sounded remarkable.

There was one time when being over-rehearsed really worked for him and that was when he put together the Concert For George thing, which sounded remarkable.

Oh absolutely, horsey, it was great in that context. In others, it doesn't work so well, though. I'm all for great musicianship, but that includes organic more loose performances where songs get taken to different places, not just ones where the songs sound almost identical to the album.

Hey Medhb, you should really go see them. A friend of mine went to see them a couple of years ago, and as I am, he is very picky when it comes to old bands who reunites but without most of the original members. Anyway, he thought they were great and judging by many of the youtube vids of the "new" Yardbirds they seem pretty decent and true to the original sound. I think it's worth a shot.

Archived