2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony

THE FIRST LEDZEP

For this very reason, I don't understand why Deep Purple isn't in the RRHOF. I bet that there are thousands of people who started playing guitar just because they wanted to play "Smoke On The Water"!

Maybe that's the exact reason why they aren't in.

I didn't realize being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame was some sort of competition with Led Zeppelin.

As for Metallica, I'm not even a fan but I don't have a problem at all with their induction. While they may not be the only pioneers of thrash/speed metal, they are among the most widely recognized. For that, they deserve kudos.

Good post Jahfin and I like Metallica. B)

But wouldn't that be considered "influence" and "perpetuation of rock & roll"?

No offense intended, I was just making a joke at the expense of how overplayed Smoke On the Water is by the demon known as Classic Rock Radio. Of course, I agree they should be in, as should many, many others but that's just very likely never going to happen. I'm not even sure if they've ever been nominated.

No offense intended, I was just making a joke at the expense of how overplayed Smoke On the Water is by the demon known as Classic Rock Radio. Of course, I agree they should be in, as should many, many others but that's just very likely never going to happen. I'm not even sure if they've ever been nominated.

Actually you may have something there- I have noticed that the RRHOF skipped over most of the 70s pop rock bands such as Foreigner, Styx, Steve Miller Band, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Boston- the ones that get played a lot on Classic Rock Radio. Even though I don't consider Deep Purple one of those pop rock bands, maybe the Hall lumps them in with them because of the one hugely played song.

Actually you may have something there- I have noticed that the RRHOF skipped over most of the 70s pop rock bands such as Foreigner, Styx, Steve Miller Band, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Boston- the ones that get played a lot on Classic Rock Radio. Even though I don't consider Deep Purple one of those pop rock bands, maybe the Hall lumps them in with them because of the one hugely played song.

I really don't think that's it, it's more likely the majority of those artists don't fit the criteria for induction. Not every artist that's ever come down the pike is going to be inducted. I believe artists such as Deep Purple, Rush, Warren Zevon, the Replacements and others fit the criteria to a tee but some such as Lynyrd Skynyrd and Black Sabbath, their nominations and subsequent inductions were hard won. Whatever happens, every Deep Purple fan on the planet knows how influential and crucial they were to rock n' roll which is the most important thing.

But it's the very material that gets played by Rock radio stations / were played by rock radio stations across the country each night in the "Mandatory Metallica" sgement. And these songs, were mostly the same over played numbers. Beavis & Butthead, and all that.... That is what the RRHOF is all about ? ? Metallica is getting in for THAT Hype, and NOT for this early 80's material.... If I could pint that out. Whomevre "The Industry" makes.... well, that is so "Special", to the Industry.

They got behind Madoona, and Sprinsgteen, J C Mellancamo, and, Bon Jovi.....

I'M NOT IMPRESSED WITH INDUSTRY HYPE ! NO THANKS ! !

I do not think that Metallica should not be in the RRHOF. It's more the reason why, that doesn't set well with me. "The Most Well Known/Most Popular "Metal" band....." Sooooo

But it's the very material that gets played by Rock radio stations / were played by rock radio stations across the country each night in the "Mandatory Metallica" sgement. And these songs, were mostly the same over played numbers. Beavis & Butthead, and all that.... That is what the RRHOF is all about ? ? Metallica is getting in for THAT Hype, and NOT for this early 80's material.... If I could pint that out. Whomevre "The Industry" makes.... well, that is so "Special", to the Industry.

They got behind Madoona, and Sprinsgteen, J C Mellancamo, and, Bon Jovi.....

I'M NOT IMPRESSED WITH INDUSTRY HYPE ! NO THANKS ! !

I do not think that Metallica should not be in the RRHOF. It's more the reason why, that doesn't set well with me. "The Most Well Known/Most Popular "Metal" band....." Sooooo

If your point is that Metallica is being inducted on "hype" alone, I don't think that's it at all. They're being inducted based on the amount of influence they've had on other artists. It doesn't have anything to do with hype or popularity. If that were the case you'd never see such bands as the Velvet Underground being inducted, they weren't exactly a household name and didn't sell tons of records.

Archived