Houses Of The Holy- Off Pitch?

jd11193

Call me crazy, but to me its always sounded like Houses Of The Holy may have been transfered to vinyl and cd a little off-key, like what happened with the first Doors album. To me, Robert Plant's voice sounds a little bit higher than usual on the songs "The Ocean" and "The Crunge". I tried turning the pitch down a little, and to me it sounded more like him compared to the regular pitch of the songs. Also, comparing the songs to their live versions on The Song Remains The Same, Plant's voice does seem to be at a little different pitch than the original recording. I don't know if this is true, its possible this could've happened, but what do you think?

Call me crazy, but to me its always sounded like Houses Of The Holy may have been transfered to vinyl and cd a little off-key, like what happened with the first Doors album. To me, Robert Plant's voice sounds a little bit higher than usual on the songs "The Ocean" and "The Crunge". I tried turning the pitch down a little, and to me it sounded more like him compared to the regular pitch of the songs. Also, comparing the songs to their live versions on The Song Remains The Same, Plant's voice does seem to be at a little different pitch than the original recording. I don't know if this is true, its possible this could've happened, but what do you think?

Yes, Robert uses different recording speeds on HotH. In some cases they would slow the music down, he would sing to it like that, and they speed it back up for mix down.

Don't forget the final recording sessions for HOTH were finished before Robert's voice started changing and TSRTS was recorded after the change started so of course he sounded lower on all songs not just the HOTH songs..

Yes, Robert uses different recording speeds on HotH. In some cases they would slow the music down, he would sing to it like that, and they speed it back up for mix down.

True but I got the impression the question was that there was a difference in tuning or something from vinyl to cd, not so much how the original album was recorded (changing the recording speeds).

Archived