WDVE Pittsburgh greatest band poll

Just to point out that Rush have played the UK a number of times and sold out most concerts. Rush have always had a good underground following. A lot of people in the UK who have Floyd in the collection will probably have a Rush album. First time I listened to Rush was by a Floyd freak and I agree with the art rock reference.

In my view though they are not better than Floyd album-wise but the drummer and the bassist of Rush blow the drummer and the bassist of Floyd out of the water. Alex isn't that bad a guitarist as well. They are a underrated band and should be installed in the Rock N Roll hall of fame.

Are they on par with Zeppelin though, not in my view but they are still a great act.

Just to point out that Rush have played the UK a number of times and sold out most concerts. Rush have always had a good underground following. A lot of people in the UK who have Floyd in the collection will probably have a Rush album. First time I listened to Rush was by a Floyd freak and I agree with the art rock reference.

In my view though they are not better than Floyd album-wise but the drummer and the bassist of Rush blow the drummer and the bassist of Floyd out of the water. Alex isn't that bad a guitarist as well. They are a underrated band and should be installed in the Rock N Roll hall of fame.

Are they on par with Zeppelin though, not in my view but they are still a great act.

Rush's foray into art rock seems more influenced by Yes than Pink Floyd.

As for the comparison between the two,I agree I prefer Pink Flod in the studio but Rush as a live act are technically more proficent and make a point of playing their own instruments,unlike Floyd who relied on huge supporting cast which made them seem like a cover band in the last two tours

While I respect your opinion, asking 11 friends if they've heard of Rush is no way a proper gauge of Rush's popularity in the UK. As for Pink Floyd being discussed in hushed tones, of course they're going to be on their home turf. Well, unless you're Johnny Rotten. Point taken though, I still believe they've had a very profound effect on rock n' roll and not just in England but around the world. It's not as though they're playing back road bars in any of these locales, they're playing huge outdoor (as well as indoor venues). Playing the Hammersmith isn't akin to them performing some unknown club.

Rush's foray into art rock seems more influenced by Yes than Pink Floyd.

As for the comparison between the two,I agree I prefer Pink Flod in the studio but Rush as a live act are technically more proficent and make a point of playing their own instruments,unlike Floyd who relied on huge supporting cast which made them seem like a cover band in the last two tours

I agree with that.

Rush always blew me away live, such a pleasure to watch. You look at them and you know they're having fun. In my eyes Lifeson is one of the most underrated guitar players of all time. I made the mistake myself on the journey to see them for the first time. I told my mate "The drummer is possibly the best around, bassist is also one of the best of all time but the guitarist is so so". After seeing them I thought "My god that guys good", it amazed me how good he actually was.

:blink: Rush? who the hell is that? What! they made one song and gave it many different names.

My god! I can't even believe they where even on the list to begin with :o

Good to see you around here, Dzldoc! Hope you are recovering well. :)

And I tend to agree with you about Rush..never was into them at all.

Sharon

Good to see you around here, Dzldoc! Hope you are recovering well. :)

And I tend to agree with you about Rush..never was into them at all.

Sharon

Thank you Sharon,

I'm sure there are many fans that would disagree, it's just that I couldn't get past the lead singer's voice. It really got under my skin :(

I think along with Zeppelin, Rush have explored many different musical styles and diverse lyrical themes over the years. Zeppelin had Tolkien, Peart is inspired by Ayn Rand and sci-fi as well as several other avenues of thought.

I think along with Zeppelin, Rush have explored many different musical styles and diverse lyrical themes over the years. Zeppelin had Tolkien, Peart is inspired by Ayn Rand and sci-fi as well as several other avenues of thought.

I guess I should really listen to more of their music. I only know what radio played and for whatever reason, they never grabbed me at all. I think it's in part the vocals but musically too, I couldn't get into them.

Because of Geddy's voice I'd say they're definitely in the "acquired taste" category but by the same token I've also encountered people that were never into Zeppelin because of Plant's "banshee wail". Personally I've always liked both bands. I first got into Rush when a friend gifted me with All the World's A Stage back in the 70s before they really enjoyed a whole lot of mainstream radio airplay aside from maybe Workingman and Fly By Night. Upon first listen it dawned on me that their stock in trade at the point was their gift for executing very excellent and extremely well thought out epic songs. That aspect of them has also turned people off but not I. When they were on The Colbert Report a few months back even Steve Colbert joked with them by asking if any other epic songs came to them while they were in the midst of performing one of their epic length songs.

Man, I grew up listening to DVE, from Pittsburgh originally, just outside in Crafton, PA. They certainly love to play their fair share of Zeppelin. Anyway, those of you that haven't spent much time listening to Rush should give them a chance, they really are a phenomenal group, most people that don't like them is because they can't stand Geddy Lee, and I can certainly understand that he's an acquired tasted, but I happen to love his vocals. To be completely honest, the most amazing, energetic vocal performance I've ever heard is Geddy Lee on 2112, check it out if you haven't heard it already. :)

• 3 years later...

Man, I grew up listening to DVE, from Pittsburgh originally, just outside in Crafton, PA. They certainly love to play their fair share of Zeppelin. Anyway, those of you that haven't spent much time listening to Rush should give them a chance, they really are a phenomenal group, most people that don't like them is because they can't stand Geddy Lee, and I can certainly understand that he's an acquired tasted, but I happen to love his vocals. To be completely honest, the most amazing, energetic vocal performance I've ever heard is Geddy Lee on 2112, check it out if you haven't heard it already. smile.gif

Amen my man, Amen. Rush are a spectacular band. I love Rush as much as i love Zeppelin. My two favorite bands..miles ahead of any others.

I really like Pink Floyd too and think they were a great great band..just not as good as Rush .

Amen my man, Amen. Rush are a spectacular band. I love Rush as much as i love Zeppelin. My two favorite bands..miles ahead of any others.

I really like Pink Floyd too and think they were a great great band..just not as good as Rush .

Wow, Mithrandir, you both hijacked a thread AND resurrected it! At the same time! There must be some kind of award for that......

Wow, Mithrandir, you both hijacked a thread AND resurrected it! At the same time! There must be some kind of award for that......

Plus, nobody seems to have discovered or even cared who won this radio station's poll. I mean, even the guy who started this thread couldn't be bothered to keep it updated...a sure sign a thread is doomed.

Even more amazing, Jahfin is still no longer around. Who would have predicted a year ago that Jahfin wouldn't make it through 2012?

Maybe the Mayan calendar only affected REM fans.

^^^

Seeing both Charles and Sharon gave me a shock of recognition...and in the case of Charles, sadness for his passing.

Sharon, I gather is still among the living...just not here anymore. Or maybe under a different name?

^^^

Seeing both Charles and Sharon gave me a shock of recognition...and in the case of Charles, sadness for his passing.

Sharon, I gather is still among the living...just not here anymore. Or maybe under a different name?

Dzldoc was a good man. He stayed positive to the end. I still miss his good will. I am sure he is resting in peace. The world was a better place for having him pass through.

Archived