Keith Experts!

redrum

Now I know that some of you here are big Stones fans. I don't listen to them that much anymore but I've recently gotten a couple of cd's from my nephew of a lot of their early work (I love 'Aftermath' & 'High Tides & Green Grass') and 'Sister Morphine' was on one disc and I'd forgotten how great the slide guitar sounded on that tune. Was that Keith that played that? Anyway, my question is can some of you give me song names where Keith's guitar really stands out? I don't care if it's electric, acoustic, Dobro or whatever. Mick Taylor and Ron Wood are great too but I want to hear the 'ol pirate play. :D Thanks for any help.

I believe Ry Cooder plays slide on that song, actually.

Uh, I'm having a hard time thinking of specific songs where Keith really stands out, but if you get their live album Get Your Ya-Yas Out (which is one of my favorite albums period), there's a pretty clear division between Keith and Mick T.'s playing on most of the songs on the album (one guitar's panned toward the left and the other's on the right, and their guitars sound so much different that it makes it pretty easy to pick them out), so I think that would be a good place to start, especially if you want to hear the difference between their styles.

I believe Ry Cooder plays slide on that song, actually.

Uh, I'm having a hard time thinking of specific songs where Keith really stands out, but if you get their live album Get Your Ya-Yas Out (which is one of my favorite albums period), there's a pretty clear division between Keith and Mick T.'s playing on most of the songs on the album (one guitar's panned toward the left and the other's on the right, and their guitars sound so much different that it makes it pretty easy to pick them out), so I think that would be a good place to start, especially if you want to hear the difference between their styles.

Thanks. I used to have the 'Ya-Yas' album. I'm going to start bugging my nephew for more cd's.

B)

I'd say that Keith stands out particularly well with his guitar solo on the studio version of "Sympathy For The Devil" (he plays bass on there also) and he stands out very well on his guitar solo on the Ya,Yas version of the same song. He plays lead for the first part of the song and then he and Mick Taylor trade off, with Taylor playing lead on the last part of the song. If you listen, Keith's guitar is coming out of the right channel while Taylor's guitar is coming out of the left channel, on Ya, Yas.

Keith also stands out very well on the Chuck Berry song solos ("Carol" & 'Little Queenie") on Get Yer Ya,Yas Out

Thanks for the info.

I'm reading one of his bios right now: 'Satisfaction'.

B)

Keith also played bass on "Happy" (which is essentially Keith's first solo track, only he, Jimmy Miller and Bobby Keys are on it instrument-wise), Live With Me and who knows how many more classics.

Do yourself a favor and get Keith's three solo discs. Do it now. B)

Do yourself a favor and get Keith's three solo discs. Do it now. B)

My answer too... Talk Is Cheap... classic album. Rivals even some of the greatest Stones records. You Don't Move Me is the most biting, in-your-face, f*ck you song ever written/recorded.

Main Offender... 999, Wicked As It Seems... those two are worth the price of admission alone...

Any Keith live... boot leg, Live At The Hollywood Palladium, etc... Keith comes into his own live. Of course I have some boots from 1977 when he was holed up in Toronto on the drug charge. Emotional and just full of amazing Keith moments...

Stones... Gimme Shelter... Wild Horses... You Got The Silver... and on and on...

Keith's solo albums are actually BETTER than anything the Stones had done since Taylor left. Well, in my opinion anyway. ;)

Including Some Girls? I do love Keith's solo records but wouldn't put any of them above that album.

Oh and on the Keith tip be sure to check out these reggae albums he's contributed to if you haven't already:

291.jpg

Not sure if this one has ever made it's way to compact disc from vinyl but it's definitely worth the hunt.

413H1754PZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

More of a drums and chant type of Rasta vibe but also very much worth tracking down

I believe it was a Chuck Berry song redone by the Stones. I wasnt aware they did it on a studio album? Only know the version from Ya yas and Chuck Berry's.

There's a studio version on their very first album, "The Rolling Stones (UK title)/England's Newest Hit Makers (US)." I like the live one better, though.

There's a studio version on their very first album, "The Rolling Stones (UK title)/England's Newest Hit Makers (US)." I like the live one better, though.

Yes, that's the version I was referring to--didn't know that was the title of the US version of the album though! I just think of it as Rolling Stones I. Followed by Rolling Stones II. :D

Yes, that's the version I was referring to--didn't know that was the title of the US version of the album though! I just think of it as Rolling Stones I. Followed by Rolling Stones II. :D

Yep! Also, the track listing is slightly different: the UK version has Mona (I Need You Baby) on it, but that was replaced with the single Not Fade Away on the US version. They stopped doing that kind of stuff after Sgt. Pepper's came out, apparently (according to the Rolling Stones Discography Wiki page).

Yep! Also, the track listing is slightly different: the UK version has Mona (I Need You Baby) on it, but that was replaced with the single Not Fade Away on the US version. They stopped doing that kind of stuff after Sgt. Pepper's came out, apparently (according to the Rolling Stones Discography Wiki page).

Yeah, I always liked their real early stuff.

B)

:o I LOVE Mona, such a great blues track!!

(No wonder I couldn't find Rolling Stones I in the Facebook database! :rolleyes: )

Oops, that was totally unclear, sorry, I meant the UK stopped doing that after The Beatles put out Sgt. Pepper's - not the Rolling Stones, obviously.

I like the early Beatles too.

Archived