Certain line in "All my Love"

Absent

I've been analysing the song All my Love and so far looking at several other meanings it seems the most reasonable is about plants son Karac who died at a young age but there is one line that confuses me and I haven't seen it discussed here.

Proud Aryan one word, my will to sustain

Now I don't know everything but wasn't Aryan the phrase used by hitler to describe the pure master race?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

The word Aryan, even if used by Hitler to refer to the pure race, its historical root goes back to ancient India.

This might give you a very different perspective, I think.

Yes-- and as Karac's mother Maureen was a lovely, lovely Indian....

Also I have never been convinced that he is saying that. For a start, in the UK the pronunciation would be "Air -ee- an" or "Arr - eye- an", not "Arry - anne".

In the "In Through the Out Door" songbook, which was published by Swan Song and so pretty likely to be accurate, the word is spelled "Arian", and with a capital letter - which, if you look it up, leans much more to what Glicine said than the idea of the blonde-haired blue-eyed "Aryan" so associated with Hitler.

The capital letter suggests the word is actually a name, which is another train of thought to follow - but not one that I am necessarily advocating. He did use pet names (like "Samosa") in some of his work.

pk670.jpg

pk671.jpg

Edited by Knebby

In the "In Through the Out Door" songbook, which was published by Swan Song and so pretty likely to be accurate, the word is spelled "Arian", and with a capital letter - which, if you look it up, leans much more to what Glicine said than the idea of the blonde-haired blue-eyed "Aryan" so associated with Hitler.

The capital letter suggests the word is actually a name, which is another train of thought to follow - but not one that I am necessarily advocating. He did use pet names (like "Samosa") in some of his work.

Agreed; I should have consulted my copy of the songbook before getting caught up in the prevailing speculation.

Also I have never been convinced that he is saying that. For a start, in the UK the pronunciation would be "Air -ee- an" or "Arr - eye- an", not "Arry - anne".

Interesting! I'll have to go back and listen to that song now and see how that changes my interepretation of it.

Interesting! I'll have to go back and listen to that song now and see how that changes my interepretation of it.

You do know of course I meant a pet name for a person and not a pet name as in a pet's name. :D

:) I know how some things don't translate, and I didn't want people to think I was suggesting he was singing about his goldfish. :)

Yeah and that could happen to people like me as non nativespeaker. But then I came around.

And thanks! :)

Agreed; I should have consulted my copy of the songbook before getting caught up in the prevailing speculation.

Well, you were the only one speculating along the blond-hair-blue-eyes line. ;)

(Personally I'd been secretly hoping it was a goldfish reference, nobody ever sings to them. :'( )

:fisheat:

Edited by Aquamarine

I've been analysing the song All my Love and so far looking at several other meanings it seems the most reasonable is about plants son Karac who died at a young age but there is one line that confuses me and I haven't seen it discussed here.

Proud Aryan one word, my will to sustain

Now I don't know everything but wasn't Aryan the phrase used by hitler to describe the pure master race?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

....The word Aryan is borrowed from the ancient Indian Sanskrit Language the root word is Arya

The Arian is a variation of this word. (Either way, it means the same, "Noble"). The word Arya is a reference to rising sun, I believe....The Aryan people mostly are found in the North/West India, closer to Pakistan/Europe ("fair color").

The other race Dravadians are found in the South/East India,( (Ie. Bengal, Chenai) (the dark color"). The Dravadians are considered to be the Foremost Original People of India...

History

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/concepts/arya.asp

Names

http://www.baby-names-meanings.net/meaning/arian,7.html

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/m...ng_of_Arya.html

...and I want to compliment Robert's Beautiful Wife, Maureen, in the Song Remains The Same...women of Calcutta/Bengal are considered to be very exotic/beautiful/exceptional in India...

take care...I hope it helps...

Ofcourse, all this NOT TO BE confused Hitler's purpose....He simply borrowed the meanings/or symbols to further his own inhuman cause...

....The word Aryan is borrowed from the ancient Indian Sanskrit Language the root word is Arya

The Arian is a variation of this word. (Either way, it means the same, "Noble"). The word Arya is a reference to rising sun, I believe....The Aryan people mostly are found in the North/West India, closer to Pakistan/Europe ("fair color").

The other race Dravadians are found in the South/East India,( (Ie. Bengal, Chenai) (the dark color"). The Dravadians are considered to be the Foremost Original People of India...

Not exactly. The words are distinct in a dictionary and given different meanings. The idea that the root is the same is fine, but the words themselves don't mean the same in what they have become.

I think your answer is very helpful though (but I certainly wouldn't say that all women from Calcutta are beautiful! :lol: )

Not exactly. The words are distinct in a dictionary and given different meanings. The idea that the root is the same is fine, but the words themselves don't mean the same in what they have become.

I think your answer is very helpful though (but I certainly wouldn't say that all women from Calcutta are beautiful! :lol: )

Thanks that you find it helpful. I agree with you on differences, as to what Aryans became to be later..Originally, they were One group of distinct people who "invaded" India...yes, it is true, cultures evolve, so do meanings...(I wanted to stay true to Robert's original purpose, "Noble" meaning...that's all)

About beauty of women, You are making a comment as an Individual, I was representing myself, on behalf of millions....their beauty is of distinct features, ie. they are generally known to have "tigeress eyes",,,, A GENERAL FACT understood in India!!!, (Calcutta/Bengal, the Region in general, Not Calcutta alone as in City....

(At least two beauty queens, Miss Universe, Miss World, not to mention exceptional artists, belong to Bengal...Calcutta is city of Artistic Talent, and many women of that CITY AND REGION possess that, which makes them very distinct...)

....The purpose of this thread remains to Understand/honor Robert's Lyrics....,

(This is my understanding of Robert Plant)

It is possible to have many great vocalist with extra ordinary baritones...but there are very few who have the "intellectualism" associated with profound understanding of poetry they are reciting through song. Robert Plant is such an artist, each and every word is truly crafted, he has trained himself in this respect, and now it comes naturally to him...

...I think we all understand the facts, in our own ways....that is fine...