Piracy on the High Seas!

SteveAJones

And now, courtesy of the youtube reverend...

Nuclear Waste On The Somali Coast

Hi 'eternal light'

Excelent link may i say, the truth, when it comes out, can hurt, this is such a case in my opinion.

This guy says it as it is, maybe Obama should take a page out of this "Black Mans Book" instead of trying to apease "Whitey" all the time, yea or nay?

Regards, Danny

Hi 'eternal light'

Excelent link may i say, the truth, when it comes out, can hurt, this is such a case in my opinion.

This guy says it as it is, maybe Obama should take a page out of this "Black Mans Book" instead of trying to apease "Whitey" all the time, yea or nay?

Regards, Danny

It's all part of the balance. As the reverend says, it's a race issue because it's a race against time.

This narrative highlights one of the most noted female pharoahs of ancient Egypt. Queen Hatshepsut (Eighteenth Dynasty, 1498-1483 B.C.) was a strong-willed woman leader who marshaled her forces into battle and sponsored diplomatic exchanges with her relatives in the land of Punt, present-day Somalia. Her noteworthy accomplishments include the commission of her royal steward and architect, Senenmut, to construct the first three-tiered building out of stone. Albeit her mortuary temple has recently been reconstructed from ruins, many modern day architects emulate this palace once dedicated to the major deity of Upper Egypt, Amun, Hatshepsut's proclaimed divine father.

http://www.sankofaworldpublishers

Somalia aid workers ransom demand increases

Published: Friday 24 April 2009 13:38 UTC

Last updated: Friday 24 April 2009 16:20 UTC

The kidnappers of a Dutch nurse and a Belgian doctor in Somalia have increased their ransom demand from one to four million dollars. The two aid workers from the Belgian branch of Médicins Sans Frontières have spoken by telephone to Reuters press agency.

They say they are doing well despite their ordeal and hope their release can be arranged soon. They were kidnapped on Sunday in the Bakool region of central Somalia.

radionetherlands.nl/news/zijlijn/6273244/Somalia-aid-workers-ransom-demand-increases

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today, Fri Apr 24 15:21:51 2009.

SOMALIA

November 15, 2008

The State Department warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Somalia and recommends that American citizens avoid all travel to Somalia. This replaces the Travel Warning dated October 24, 2008 to note terrorist attacks in the regions of Somaliland and Puntland.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against all travel to Somalia, including northern Somalia. On October 29, 2008, terrorists launched several coordinated and near-simultaneous attacks involving multiple car bombs against local and international targets in the regions of Somaliland and Puntland. There is no U.S. Embassy or other U.S. diplomatic presence in Somalia. Consequently, the U.S. government is not in a position to assist or effectively provide services to U.S. citizens in Somalia.

Terrorist operatives and armed groups in Somalia have demonstrated their intent and capability to attack air operations at Mogadishu International Airport. Kidnapping, murder, illegal roadblocks, banditry, and other violent incidents and threats to U.S. citizens and other foreigners can occur in many regions. Inter-clan and inter-factional fighting flares up with little or no warning. Unpredictable armed conflicts among rival militias are prevalent in southern Somalia, particularly in and around Mogadishu. This has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Somali nationals and the displacement of nearly one million people. In December 2006, Ethiopian military forces entered Somalia in support of the Somali Transitional Federal Government. The continuing Ethiopian military presence and support for the Transitional Federal Government has heightened tensions among rival political and clan factions within Somalia.

The Sanaag and Sool Regions in eastern Somaliland, bordering on Puntland (northeastern Somalia), are subject to insecurity due to ongoing border disputes and inter-clan fighting. There also have been several fatal attacks and violent kidnappings against international relief workers, including Westerners, throughout Somalia, Somaliland, and Puntland. Lines of control in Mogadishu are unclear and frequently shift, making movement within Mogadishu extremely hazardous. Violent riots have recently occurred in Mogadishu, as thousands of civilians protested rising food prices and the devaluation of the Somali currency.

Recently, insurgents and extremist elements opposed to the Somali government conducted hit-and-run attacks on several towns in central and southern Somalia, to include the districts of Gedo and Bay (especially the vicinity of Baidoa) in the south.

U.S. citizens also are urged to use extreme caution when sailing near the coast of Somalia. Merchant vessels, fishing boats, and recreational craft all risk seizure by pirates and having their crews held for ransom in the waters off the Horn of Africa, most especially in the international waters near Somalia. There have been numerous such incidents, highlighting the continuing danger of maritime travel near the Horn of Africa. If transit around the Horn of Africa is necessary, it is strongly recommended that vessels travel in convoys, and maintain good communications contact at all times.

U.S. citizens who travel to Somalia despite this Travel Warning are urged to register through the State Department's travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov and obtain updated information on travel and security from the U.S. Embassies in neighboring countries. Travelers to the self-declared "Republic of Somaliland" should register with the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti, and travelers to Puntland or southern Somalia should register with the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi.

The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti is located at Plateau du Serpent, Boulevard Marechal Joffre, Djibouti City; telephone (253) 35-39-95; after-hours telephone number (253) 35-13-43. The mailing address is Ambassade Americaine, B.P. 185, Djibouti, Republique de Djibouti, and their workweek is Sunday through Thursday. The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi is located on United Nations Avenue, Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya; telephone (254)(20) 363-6000; after-hours emergencies (254)(20) 363-6170. The mailing address is P.O. Box 606 Village Market 00621, Nairobi, Kenya.

U.S. citizens should also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Somalia and the Worldwide Caution, which are located on the Department's internet website at http://travel.state.gov. Travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_933

getthumbnail.jpg

As Marines clear rooms, 3rd Provisional Security Company's Staff Sgt. Christian Harding watches a dark passageway while Lance Corporals Ambakisye-Olutosin Smith and Paul Bauer watch another entrance of the World War II era bunker during a clearing operation, Camp Lemonier, Djibouti, Oct. 14, 2005. Also known as Hills 74 and 43, these bunkers are located on the Djibouti and Somalia border and are seen as possible terrorist insurgency threats and are checked on a routine basis. (RELEASED) (U.S. Air Force photo by Stacy L. Pearsall)

Photo Date Taken: 1/14/2005

Unit: Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps

Photo ByLine: Staff Sgt. Stacy Pearsall

marines.mil

US Marines Land in Somalia - 1992

Hi wannabe

I dont want to get in to a big argument about this, all my information is from TV and the Internet, i was under the impression that one Pirate was negotiating on board the USS Bainbridge, this puts him and the other three under a "Flag of Truce" in my opinion. When he decieded not to return to the life raft the decision was given to take the other three Pirates out.

If that pirate on our ship doesn't get his way, then he's going to go back and shoot our men.So of course we're going to take them out. It's kill or lose our man.

I dont have any problem with the way Countries deal with the Pirates in this way, but when you go back on your word and kill people while they think that the "Truce" still stands then you are asking for trouble. What you gain in the short term you loose heavily in the long term, there are over 200 people that the Pirates have in captivity whos lives were not taken in to consideration.
We were worried about them going back on their word though...

And yes, I'm aware that the pirates have mroe hostages, but we can't and should not police the world.

And if you now look at this link you might get behind the reason why the Somalis are turning to Piracy in the first place, what are European (Spanish) fisherman doing in Somali waters in the first place? I know that on the west coast of Africia European fishermen are using ships that suck up the fish stocks and are depriving local fishermen of not only a living but of their only staple food and many are starving.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...kB3pyigStUBMgQA

Regards, Danny

GOod article. As I said, I realize why people choose to be pirates, but I don't see it justified.

PS, I dont defend Piracy, but we in England went to war with Iceland over fishing rights in the 1970s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars Spain has been a leading nation in over fishing in British waters and off the coast of Africia for decades, there i think lies the trouble.

Believe it or not, I'm very familiar with the Cod Wars. I spent like 2 hours on Wikipedia one night just reading about it. :lol:

Wiki's addictive, what can I say?

What to Eat and Drink in Somalia

Drink

Black and brown teas (largely imported from China) and a coffee drink that is made from the covering of the coffee beans rather than from the beans themselves.

Somalia is a Muslim country, so there is no alcohol available. If you do find some, don't show it or drink it in public! Some local people may show anger towards you and you can be sure it's not good.

Some Somalians give their children chai (tea) and juice.

Chai is usually spiced with cardamon, ginger, cinnamon, and clove. They drink 6 to 8 cups of this daily instead of water.

somalia.mvmtravel.com?

Some Somalis drink black tea similar to Turkish tea but many prefer spiced tea (Shah Xawaash) with such spices as cardamom (hayl), cinnamon (qorfe), and ginger (sinjibiil).

During Ramadan Somalis should fast from sunrise to sunset. The women of the house make the Iftar meal (Afuro). The fast is broken by first taking dates and water. Then they eat samosas (Samboosi)) filled with vegetables, mincemeat, chicken with spices or lamb. This is followed by soup, rice, pasta or meat. Water or soft drinks are drunk.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Somaliland

• 5 months later...

Wed Oct 7, 11:10 am ET

NAIROBI (AFP) – Somali pirates attempted to storm the French navy's 18,000 tonne flagship in the Indian Ocean after mistaking it for a cargo vessel, the French military said on Wednesday.

The crew of La Somme, a 160-metre (525-foot) command vessel and fuel tanker, easily saw off the brazen night-time assault by lightly armed fighters on two lightweight skiffs and captured five pirates, a spokesman said.

"The pirates, who because of the darkness took the French ship for a commercial vessel, were on board two vessels and opened fire with Kalashnikovs," Admiral Christophe Prazuck said in Paris.

La Somme is the French command vessel in the Indian Ocean, overseeing French air, sea and land forces fighting Somali pirates and hunting terrorists under the banner of the US-led Operation Enduring Freedom.

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091007/wl_africa_afp/somaliapiracyshippingfrance_20091007151820

Archived