Duane Allman wanted to beat up Robert in 1969

Wolfman

IT FIGURES THE NEW YORK POST GOT THE FACTS INCORRECT, as Butch Trucks of the Allman Brothers Band (I'm assuming it is indeed he) had to post a reply:

"ButchTrucks wrote:

You got it wrong. Nobody cared about Robert Plant. He was just the dude doing the most jumping around. Duane worshiped The Yardbirds and Clapton and Back (sic) had gone on to make some very good music after them. When he learned that Jimmy Page was in a new band and that we could see them he was really excited about seeing where he was headed. Just suffice it to say that he was extremely disappointed to learn that one of his gods (Page not Plant)had Led feet (pun intended). To Duane it was always about the music. The theatrics (I am not criticizing an extremely influential band. Merely passing on a historical fact) just distracted from the music. His opinion and mine. Everyone else is very much allowed their own. I would surmise that the vast majority of humanity could care less about my or anyone elses opinion posted here. I happen to think that 'Trane and Miles trump them all, but that is just my opinion.

4/13/2009 12:49 PM EDT"

This makes a lot more sense than the original story--not that I agree with Butch, but as he says himself everybody's allowed their opinion, and I WAS a big Allmans fan!

My opinion is, if someone could be distracted from the music by the theatric and paid more attention to costumes than the music, it was his own fault. Good music remains good music.

I'd agree with you--but again, Butch gets to have his own misguided opinion! :D

IT FIGURES THE NEW YORK POST GOT THE FACTS INCORRECT, as Butch Trucks of the Allman Brothers Band (I'm assuming it is indeed he) had to post a reply:

"ButchTrucks wrote:

You got it wrong. Nobody cared about Robert Plant. He was just the dude doing the most jumping around. Duane worshiped The Yardbirds and Clapton and Back (sic) had gone on to make some very good music after them. When he learned that Jimmy Page was in a new band and that we could see them he was really excited about seeing where he was headed. Just suffice it to say that he was extremely disappointed to learn that one of his gods (Page not Plant)had Led feet (pun intended). To Duane it was always about the music. The theatrics (I am not criticizing an extremely influential band. Merely passing on a historical fact) just distracted from the music. His opinion and mine. Everyone else is very much allowed their own. I would surmise that the vast majority of humanity could care less about my or anyone elses opinion posted here. I happen to think that 'Trane and Miles trump them all, but that is just my opinion.

4/13/2009 12:49 PM EDT"

It was Jimmy Page who wore the velvet pants, not Robert Plant.

It seems the pink velvet pants did it again.

I wonder what Duane Allman would have done if Jimmy Page had worn the plaid pants instead.

I think I get the picture. Duane Allman came from the South. It's blue jeans or forget about it.

But Robert Plant was in the clear. In May, 1969 for at least one of the Boston dates, he wore a seasonally appropriate ensemble in white; plain white pants that may have been cotton denim or sateen, and a ruffly white blouse maybe with a conservative print that he could have poached from one of his girlfriend's closets; but normal for him, not too dramatic. Not like that tye-dye shirt that he wore in San Francisco.

I'm pretty sure in the very early days, Robert had velvet pants on but not that often. Not that it really matters.

Robert did not seem to be wearing velvet pants in May, 1969, in Boston. It was the velvet pants that negatively impacted Duane Allman, perhaps among other things. Duane Allman was a blue jean, Southern type of guy.

And Jimmy Page wore the pink velvet pants on one of those nights in May, 1969, before the Allman Brothers were scheduled on May 31.

Robert did not seem to be wearing velvet pants in May, 1969, in Boston. It was the velvet pants that negatively impacted Duane Allman, perhaps among other things. Duane Allman was a blue jean, Southern type of guy.

And Jimmy Page wore the pink velvet pants on one of those nights in May, 1969, before the Allman Brothers were scheduled on May 31.

Sorry - I was thinking in general but you were referring to that particular night. My bad.

But Jimmy Page is the one who wore velvet pants in May, 1969 when the Allman Brothers were scheduled the next day after Zeppelin finished in Boston.

It appears to be another situation where they blame Robert Plant for no good reason.

Excellent "pants detection", thanks, Eternal Light! :D Indeed, another classic example of blaming Robert for whatever... :blink:

Look at my first post on the first page and I have to laugh. :D

laugh at silly newspapers throwing crap at us... Actually, even the style of that article implied that it was crap. We, LZ fans, see it through. B)

Girly??? Don't be misled by the long hair and clothes, Robert was and is one big guy who could handle himself in a fight. And there's nothing less tough about a Brit than a Southern boy, either, believe me! ;)

Case and point; Before he found his way back to music again, Robert was a bricklayer for a little while.

And if you look at a certain '66 picture of him, you can definitely tell he has some muscle to him.

Hell, even today, he has some pretty particularly ridiculous forearms, for just a measely singer. :P

I guess she meant the "take a Roger Daltrey swing and hit one of the cops' head with the microphone" thing.

Yeah, I've already given Aquamarine a hard time about that one ;)

So do I, I live in the South. And I've lived in Britain.

And I think Dzldoc has the right idea. :D

:D Well, I havent lived in Britan, so I'll trust yall on this one :D

:hysterical:

I love how that's the headline and then the first sentence of the article is Robert Plant was almost beaten up etc. :blink:

In the next days and weeks and months there will probably be a fascinating tale flying around and telling how Duane Allman smashed his guitar on Plant's head, kicked his ass and dragged him down the stage.

Hilarious.

In the next days and weeks and months there will probably be a fascinating tale flying around and telling how Duane Allman smashed his guitar on Plant's head, kicked his ass and dragged him down the stage.

Hilarious.

Ha! Well you know it's all Robert's fault anyways <_<

:D

Case and point; Before he found his way back to music again, Robert was a bricklayer for a little while.

And if you look at a certain '66 picture of him, you can definitely tell he has some muscle to him.

Hell, even today, he has some pretty particularly ridiculous forearms, for just a measely singer. :P

It was roads, not bricks, but apart from that--very true. He could take Duane Allman, no problem. :D

Archived