Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Kentuckygirl

JPJ Secret Project

I was reffering to this post moonmaid.I was not attacking, just commenting and stating an opinion.

And I did read all the posts on this thread.

No one said they believed the "guy in a shop" story. The issue was some people (me :D ) had a fuzzy memory on this issue. I thought there was an actual article where JPJ absolutely said no. When I found out it was a "guy in a shop" I retracted my belief in the story. As did everyone else. All this is clear if one carefully reads the thread...

how about this one?

Yep

So you know he was never even rumored to have said he'd never work with Jimmy again.

(The story--WHICH NOBODY IS CLAIMING IS TRUE--was that he'd said he wouldn't be part of another Zeppelin reunion, which is hardly the same thing.)

Edited by Aquamarine

So you know he was never even rumored to have said he'd never work with Jimmy again.

from what I've read on this thread it came from another board

(The story--WHICH NOBODY IS CLAIMIMG IS TRUE--was that he'd said he wouldn't be part of another Zeppelin reuinion, which is hardly the same thing.)

how about this one?

Oh glicine! You're my hero. I've been corrected 4 times now on that damn post. I know I'm a little slow, but not that slow.

And reezon, I know what your opinion is, but you must realize (or reelize :D) that I now share the same opinion as you. Get it? That's why I was upset. I was being corrected for something I no longer believed.

Yes, reezon, the original story (the one where he was allegedly talking about Zeppelin reunions, not working with Jimmy generally :D ) was posted on another board. Then reported here and elsewhere.

Sorry to be slow riding to your defense there, Moonmaid, but the board was loading incredibly slowly for me earlier and I had to quit in despair!

Yes, reezon, the original story (the one where he was allegedly talking about Zeppelin reunions, not working with Jimmy generally :D ) was posted on another board. Then reported here and elsewhere.

Sorry to be slow riding to your defense there, Moonmaid, but the board was loading incredibly slowly for me earlier and I had to quit in despair!

No worries. You're always there to catch me and help me get all the facts straight. I honestly appreciate that. :kiss:

Jonesy, Sonic Youth, Kosugi et al debuted their new piece for Merce Cunningham tonight (Thrs). No review yet in The Times but there is a post-show panel for the Friday nite show, where Jones, SY et al will be discussing things.

http://www.bam.org/view.aspx?pid=820

This must be the panel TonyV on this board was talking about. Hopefully, he can let us know how it goes!

Sonic Youth showboard is probably best bet - and a real brief note from someone who went and said it was wonderful. http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=27546

Here's a Burroughs zone preview, showing great depth of understanding r.e. violin bow and sonic drone.life.death.cycle. ...

1st act: John Paul Jones, Kim Gordon, and Mark Ibold each weilding scissors with extra-long blades cut up 3 copies of bass-tablature for the LZ song "Whole Lotta Love", randomly paste the pieces back together blindfolded, then each play their new cut-up bass parts simultaneously, while the Merce Cunninham Dance Company flips coins at guitars left on to buzz and feedback, only occasionally hitting a string.

2nd act: Lee and Thurston make explicit the connections between Jimmy Page's psych-out violin bow Dazed & Confus(ion/ed) workouts and just about every heavy duty sonic brakdown/blowout, utilizing custom made violin bows made from oplical prisms that cause rainbow trails around their guitars and distortions in space and time. Thuston in poppy suit, Lee in stars and planets suit. Kim in dragon suit teaches the dancers some schoolyard hopscotch moves.

Edited by Mercurious

The best article I've found yet - thanks to NY Press:

http://www.nypress.com/article-19655-lord-have-merce.html

EXCERPTS:

According to Trevor Carlson, Executive Director of the Merce Cunningham Company, “Each time Merce makes a new piece, we all sort of come together to talk about it. And since it was Merce’s birthday, we sort of said, ‘Let’s go for it!’” So Merce asked his buddy John Paul Jones, who has worked for the company before, and Sonic Youth, members of which had also worked with the company in the past, along with Takehisa Kosugi, the musical director of the company, and asked them each to create 30 minutes of music.

“None of the projects will come together until the day before the performance in their entirety at the dress rehearsal,” says Trevor. “Merce called John Paul Jones to say, ‘Thank you for accepting to compose the piece. I’ll see you in April.’” And that was that.

Sonic Youth set about creating its 30 minutes loosely. “We are going to create different chunks based on basic gestures of principles of attack, loud, soft, aggressive, different things like that,” explains [guitarist Lee] Ranaldo. John Paul Jones, Ranaldo says, is scoring his piece out in a much more traditional way, though Ranaldo notes he has no idea what his work sounds like. Kosugi, as Kosugi does, has divided his 30 minutes of highly electronic music into eight- or nine-minute discreet chunks.

According to Trevor, the music will be cut up, patched back together, overlapped, spliced, separated and mixed according to chance-based procedures. Who knows what it will sound like.

END EXCERPTS

Fuckin' brilliant - it actually IS a musical cut-up project, or collage. This is what Jimmy should be doing. this is what I'd love to be doing ... :( .. but this is so great for Jonesy to be a part of. It sounds as though the musicians will be spending quite a bit of time working this through over the weekend. Now, if he'd just give Jimmy a call ... maybe this could lead to something beyond anybody's imagining ... :guitar_mood:

Edited by Mercurious

Jonesy, Sonic Youth, Kosugi et al debuted their new piece for Merce Cunningham tonight (Thrs). No review yet in The Times but there is a post-show panel for the Friday nite show, where Jones, SY et al will be discussing things.

http://www.bam.org/view.aspx?pid=820

This must be the panel TonyV on this board was talking about. Hopefully, he can let us know how it goes!

Yep- that's the one! I'm really excited for this! I picked the Friday night show so I could be there for the panel; last night was BAM's Spring Gala (cocktail reception etc) and I thought the panel would be more interesting.

I will most definitely report back on the evening later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

:standup_bass:

Edited by TonyV

Yep- that's the one! I'm really excited for this! I picked the Friday night show so I could be there for the panel; last night was BAM's Spring Gala (cocktail reception etc) and I thought the panel would be more interesting.

I will most definitely report back on the evening later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

this is really exciting. Love S.Y, been seeing em' live since 88. Let's hear it for Jonesy's sense of adventure.

A tantalizing tidbit from JPJ, to be sure. I find it curious that he'd didn't quickly add "it's NOT with Jimmy & Jason, by the way": being secretive about a big upcoming project with 2 other non LZ-related heavy-hitters is one thing, but it seems, to me at least, that he'd want to squelch any wildfire speculation about the likelihood of THE longed-for tour - if it WASN'T in the cards.

And so we wait with cautious hope..... :)

Oh glicine! You're my hero. I've been corrected 4 times now on that damn post. I know I'm a little slow, but not that slow.

And reezon, I know what your opinion is, but you must realize (or reelize :D) that I now share the same opinion as you. Get it? That's why I was upset. I was being corrected for something I no longer believed.

I wasn't correcting you,....was I?

Excellent!! I'm so excited about this, I may run to the airport. And thank you, in advance!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the updates on this project, it sounds very intriguing.

I remember seeing Sonic Youth and the Indigo Girls jam together (along with the house band) on Night Music, a syndicated program hosted by David Sanborn that threw together a very diverse group of musicians for each episode. I just dug up the Sonic Youth/Indigo Girls performance of I Wanna Be Your Dog (which you can see below). Looking back at the schedule for that show via Wiki, it appears that Diamanda Galas was also on that episode.

I Wanna Be Your Dog

Edited by Jahfin

Thanks for the updates on this project, it sounds very intriguing.

I remember seeing Sonic Youth and the Indigo Girls jam together (along with the house band) on Night Music, a syndicated program hosted by David Sanborn that threw together a very diverse group of musicians for each episode. I just dug up the Sonic Youth/Indigo Girls performance of I Wanna Be Your Dog (which you can see below). Looking back at the schedule for that show via Wiki, it appears that Diamanda Galas was also on that episode.

I Wanna Be Your Dog

Kim is so dam hot. Last time I saw them was three years ago. She was wearing this white dress. At one point during one of the brakedowns, she spun around in a circle in the middle of the stage like a wasted ballerina trapped in a paper weight or christmas ornament. She did this for almost two minutes. Stunning.

I remember the Sanbourn show - had to be mid-late late 1980s? It was before I knew about the Pixies, because the first I saw or heard of them was them doing "Tame" on the Sanbourn show. I think I saw Louden Wainwright, Jr. on there too.

It was on from 88-90 under a couple of different names. The lineups were as eclectic as a bill put together by Bill Graham. Wiki has a nice history of it here.

The NY Times dance reviewer absolutely raves about the music ...

"The music, composed and performed by John Paul Jones, Takehisa Kosugi and Sonic Youth (Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley), sounds now like a rock musician’s worst hangover, as if the pot and the kettle were calling each other every color under the sun before settling down and breeding a whole tribe of tintinnabulations. One powerful guitar chord out of the blue happened on Thursday to coincide with the most electrifying gear change in the Goggans-Squire duet, but even such moments are mere effects."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/arts/dan...nted=2&_r=1

NYPress at the gala opening night: "a pretty incredible evening, certainly one to be remembered."

http://www.nypress.com/blog-3916-merce-cel...t-bam-gala.html

"Video projections by Franc Aleu began, the sounds of John Paul Jones clanked and squealed and then dancers bounced out, dressed in form-fitting bodysuits designed by Romeo Gigli. If anyone thought the old man had gone soft, they were in for a surprise. The virtuosity of the dancers was unquestionable, but the untrained were probably the most perplexed. My friend, a dancer, described it as 'futuristic classicism' and that could explain why so many old moneybags had their fingers in the ears and acted like they'd just suffered through 90 minutes of hell."

Yes we will :watchingyou:

Sonic Youth are playing the Scala at King's Cross, London on Monday, 27th April, tickets are on sale Tuesday 21st April from the usual ticket outlets.

Indi.

Sonic Youth are playing the Scala at King's Cross, London on Monday, 27th April, tickets are on sale Tuesday 21st April from the usual ticket outlets.

Indi.

Wish I could go but I'm in the states so a wee bit far. I saw them many years ago and they were great live.