Justin Adams and Julden Camara with special guest

glicine

You're welcome. I wonder why Allison Krauss was not able to attend. Maybe she is working on a new project.

She had plans to work with Union Station again, I guess she is busy now.

And how do you know this?

Robert Plant joins Womad line-up

Originally Smith invited Plant, who has supported Womad in the past, to perform with the bluegrass singing star Alison Krauss, with whom he made the Grammy award-winning album Raising Sand, but she was unable to make the date.

thenational.ae/article/20090415/NATIONAL/166354250&SearchID=73351323999645

This performance was especially created for WOMAD Abu Dhabi.

source

...tks Glicine...another link related to the information you posted already....

Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage proud to announce a special appearance for the WOMAD Abu Dhabi World Music Festival on the Abu Dhabi Corniche on 23rd, 24th and 25th April.

http://www.ameinfo.com/192694.html

That article was referring to being invited to play during the Raising Sand tour not the Womad event in Abu Dhabi.

Robert Plant joins Womad line-up

Philippa Kennedy Last Updated: April 15. 2009 8:30AM UAE / April 15. 2009 4:30AM GMT

The legendary rock star Robert Plant is the surprise headliner on the final night of next week's Womad festival in Abu Dhabi, it was announced yesterday.

The former Led Zeppelin singer will team up with the bluesy lead guitarist Justin Adams and the West African riti master Juldeh Camara for the finale of the three-day festival of international music.

Around 50,000 people are expected to attend each of the free Womad concerts, which will take place on the Corniche public beach from April 23 to April 25.

There will also be a free Womad concert at Al Jahili Fort, Al Ain, on April 24.

The signing of Plant is regarded as a coup for the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage (Adach) and for Womad, whose director, Chris Smith, had been negotiating with the musician's management for several months. They were able to confirm the 11th-hour booking last night.

"The fact is that Robert Plant only does things that he wants to do," said Mr Smith.

"He was excited by the thought of performing at a free festival in Abu Dhabi. This is going to be a chance of a lifetime to hear such a unique combination. Robert is a lovely guy who is very keen not to steal the thunder from the others."

Originally Smith invited Plant, who has supported Womad in the past, to perform with the bluegrass singing star Alison Krauss, with whom he made the Grammy award-winning album Raising Sand, but she was unable to make the date.

thenational.ae/article/20090415/NATIONAL/166354250&SearchID=73351323999645

So Mr Khan, a minibus driver, piled his van full of friends and drove 119km to see the nephews of the late and revered
perform some of his favourite qawwalis – a vocal music of the Sufi mystics. An excerpt from their opening qawwali: "When there was no earth, or sky, or sun, or moon, or stars. There was only you. Only you. Allah." "They sing just like their uncle," said Mr Khan, before joining a group of men in shalwar kameez, who, after trying to crowd-surf, started dancing in circles with abandon as the group mesmerised the audience with their duelling vocals.

Meanwhile, a very serious Amin Haider, aged nine, scurried around, followed by his parents, as he looked for the workshop tent so he could learn to play the drums just like the Dubai drums band plays them.

But they saved the best for last on Thursday night in the shape of Khaled. The ranks of concert-goers around the stage swelled while children and fully grown adults took to their families' and friends' shoulders, cheering and waving Algerian flags at him.

Others brought out mobile phones and lighters to wave to him as he serenaded them. He sang, smiled, danced and even played the keyboards while singing, draping his national flag over his shoulders before tying it to his microphone.

Tonight the big draw and surprise headline act, the former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant, is due to take to the stage for his eagerly anticipated set.

thenational.ae/article/20090425/NATIONAL/704249783/1119

ABU DHABI // As a young performer he belted out some of music’s hardest blues rock. Now 61, the former Led Zeppelin singer, Robert Plant, proved last night he remains a crowd pleaser with a performance full of mystical energy.

Accompanied by Justin Adams and Juldeh Camara, the singer performed to packed crowds on the Corniche last night as a headline act for the capital’s first Womad international music festival.

Plant had been rehearsing for the concert in the heart of the English countryside since he was signed as a last-minute surprise just days ago, putting together a melodic and mystical show for the grand finale: violin melodies mixed with African drum beats to be topped off with Plant’s unique vocal sound.

Before the set Paulo Silva, a banker who has lived in Abu Dhabi for two years, said he had been looking forward to hearing some new material from Plant.

“I’ve always known Led Zeppelin’s classic tracks like Stairway to Heaven but don’t really know Plant’s solo stuff so it’ll be fun to see him here,” he said.

Organisers estimated between 25,000 and 30,000 people attended the final day of the festival.

Plant says he became interested in non-western music long before the term “world music” was even coined, incorporating the rhythms and scales of India and North Africa into his songwriting with Jimmy Page in Led Zeppelin.

Since then, Moroccan traditional music has frequently been cited by the world-famous singer as a particular source of inspiration.

Also performing at last night’s event were Trilok Gurtu from India, famous for his fusion of eastern and western beats, and Los De Abajo from Mexico mixing reggae and Latin sounds. Reggae-inspired Nubian-Egyptian musician Mohamed Mounir closed the evening’s festivities

source

Not really many informations of the performance, waiting for more.

I've found these two and LOVE them!

Robert looks very happy and energetic, and oh harmonica!

And Juldeh Camara's riti playing really opens my eyes, I'd like to try something when I get my own instruments back.

I've found these two and LOVE them!

Robert looks very happy and energetic, and oh harmonica!

And Juldeh Camara's riti playing really opens my eyes, I'd like to try something when I get my own instruments back.

:cheer: Thanks glicine for posting those and Takamba for the head's up on them :D Sounds like it was a fantastic show and really great to see Robert and Justin on stage together.

:cheer: Thanks glicine for posting those and Takamba for the head's up on them :D Sounds like it was a fantastic show and really great to see Robert and Justin on stage together.

It was,it was! Great atmosphere, and he even did Rock'n'Roll!

You went :o Lucky :D What else did they perform?

I'm terrible at remembering what songs were played, but these have stuck:

Win My Train Fare Home

Four Sticks

Black Dog

Let The Four Winds Blow

Black Girl

Fixin to Die

A bit of Whole Lotta which turned into a popular Arabic song

I know there's quite a bit more, but my brains are still a little fried as I got home at 2am having driven for two hours.

I'm terrible at remembering what songs were played, but these have stuck:

Win My Train Fare Home

Four Sticks

Black Dog

Let The Four Winds Blow

Black Girl

Fixin to Die

A bit of Whole Lotta which turned into a popular Arabic song

I know there's quite a bit more, but my brains are still a little fried as I got home at 2am having driven for two hours.

Great songs!!!! Would have loved to have seen Let the Four Winds Blow. I know they did it a couple of times in 05 but not at any of the shows.

Thanks!

Had the special pleasure of seeing Justin, Juldah and drummer Martyn Baker perform at our very own WOMAD here in New Plymouth, N.Z, last month. They played for us a whole hour of groovy,blues african rythym and beats, both men singing - oh it was magic. Really amazing, dancing along at the front of the audience, it was mesmerizing, and would have loved to see Robert there as well? Yeah - in my dreams!!

Had the special pleasure of seeing Justin, Juldah and drummer Martyn Baker perform at our very own WOMAD here in New Plymouth, N.Z, last month. They played for us a whole hour of groovy,blues african rythym and beats, both men singing - oh it was magic. Really amazing, dancing along at the front of the audience, it was mesmerizing, and would have loved to see Robert there as well? Yeah - in my dreams!!

That's great you got to see Justin and Juldeh perform! I've heard they put on a really great show.

Archived