No free views for my kids

bigfatmomma

I've been a Zepplin fan my whole life. I was introduced by my parents. I want to do the same for my kids. I cannot find a single studio (what kid wants to hear a 15 min. long solo for a song they've never heard before) version of any song on the net. We have studio, but no little kid wants to sit in front of a scratchy, popping record player anymore(do you know how much it costs for a new needle-if you can find it?!). We thought we could SHOW the kids the best music ever recorded and get them interested in perhaps some cd's of their own(which we would buy, since they don't like LP's). We were so wrong. Alomst 40 years of platninum records seems to have made them greedy. I'm not trying to get over on them, I just want to pass it on to my kids and see if they'll like it(they always do with video!), so why can't I? They never gave tribute to the blues musicians whos' songs they made popular, so why can't I teach my children Led Zepplin's music?

I've been a Zepplin fan my whole life. I was introduced by my parents. I want to do the same for my kids. I cannot find a single studio (what kid wants to hear a 15 min. long solo for a song they've never heard before) version of any song on the net. We have studio, but no little kid wants to sit in front of a scratchy, popping record player anymore(do you know how much it costs for a new needle-if you can find it?!). We thought we could SHOW the kids the best music ever recorded and get them interested in perhaps some cd's of their own(which we would buy, since they don't like LP's). We were so wrong. Alomst 40 years of platninum records seems to have made them greedy. I'm not trying to get over on them, I just want to pass it on to my kids and see if they'll like it(they always do with video!), so why can't I? They never gave tribute to the blues musicians whos' songs they made popular, so why can't I teach my children Led Zepplin's music?

I didn't quite get how you came to that conclusion. You can't find a song on the net (and oh believe me, there are plenty ways to get them) = they are greedy?

And what's the point of you last sentence? Maybe it's me being slow in the head, since it's early morning here... :blink:

Hey! If you have a IPhone or an IPod touch, you can download this FREE app called "Wolfgang's Vault" that have live recordings from every artist. Led Zeppelin has 2 from 1969 that are awesome, has Dazed and Confused on there, too! And you can also get on that on the net, www.wolfgangsvault.com

:)

:blink: Can't you play them the cds? Why only the internet are you looking for music? Sorry I'm confused here. I listened to "scratchy popping records" as a kid and had absolutely no issue. Maybe you should try and see. If you present it to them as something cool, you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't see how any of this makes Zep greedy.

I'm a teenager and I love my scratchy popping vinyl. I wouldn't trade it for anything, there is nothing like it. Maybe you should expose your kids to it. And yes you can get new cartridges, they are as low as 20 bucks depending on your stereo. The vinyl market is on the rise so you may be surprised as to all the cool stuff you can purchase.

Edited to say: Vinyl is by far the best way to listen Zeppelin. It was originally recorded to sound good on the format, and when you make stuff digital you compress sound waves which doesn't exactly make it sounds better.

I'm a teenager and I love my scratchy popping vinyl. I wouldn't trade it for anything, there is nothing like it. Maybe you should expose your kids to it. And yes you can get new cartridges, they are as low as 20 bucks depending on your stereo. The vinyl market is on the rise so you may be surprised as to all the cool stuff you can purchase.

Edited to say: Vinyl is by far the best way to listen Zeppelin. It was originally recorded to sound good on the format, and when you make stuff digital you compress sound waves which doesn't exactly make it sounds better.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You have to catch them ( your kids ) in the element that they do listen or watch in. We were really no different. Stereo as opposed to mono, albums over 45's. Zeppelin hit the mark just when LP's were the thing to be buying and, we all bought them. Just introduce them to the music and let them find their own way. It's not possible to dictate, it's only possible to introduce.....let them find the road :)

I love my vinyl. I have almost all of Pink Floyd's albums on vinyl, along with CD, mp3 and a couple on cassette and 8-track. The vinyl is by far the best. I would never listen to Dark Side of the Moon on anything other than vinyl when I'm at home. It's on my iPod for when I'm on the road, but that's it.

Just play your kids the CDs. Quit hatin' on vinyl. I listened to my parents' vinyl records when I was a kid (granted this was the late 80s, early 90s), but I loved the pageantry of taking them out of the jacket and opening the lid to the turntable and putting the needle on.....to this day, other than my dad I'm the only person who knows how to use the dang thing. I've got one of my own now, which is great. No more schlepping my albums downstairs!

You have to catch them ( your kids ) in the element that they do listen or watch in. We were really no different. Stereo as opposed to mono, albums over 45's. Zeppelin hit the mark just when LP's were the thing to be buying and, we all bought them. Just introduce them to the music and let them find their own way. It's not possible to dictate, it's only possible to introduce.....let them find the road :)

:yesnod: Well said.

Was the point here why aren't Zeppelin's studio albums available for download on e.g. iTunes? I agree with what everyone says about vinyl, I'm just trying to understand the original post.

And I don't understand the "no free views" part, either. (I just looked at the thread title again.)

Was the point here why aren't Zeppelin's studio albums available for download on e.g. iTunes? I agree with what everyone says about vinyl, I'm just trying to understand the original post.

And I don't understand the "no free views" part, either. (I just looked at the thread title again.)

I might have misunderstood the original post Aqua but I thought it was about the poster wanting to introduce their kid to Zeppelin in a format that they could relate to. So many men , so little time :lol: The poster I mean :huh:

I might have misunderstood the original post Aqua but I thought it was about the poster wanting to introduce their kid to Zeppelin in a format that they could relate to. So many men , so little time :lol: The poster I mean :huh:

You could be right, in fact you probably are--but was the point then that there were no studio versions of the songs available online? It was the bit about them being greedy that made me think it was about songs not being available for download--I'm totally confused, I think I should call it a night! :D

Well, this is an interesting thread...

I'm not quite sure what bigfatmomma (how nice) is saying here - there's no free stuff on the interwebz to pilfer from, or that her children can't sit still for long enough to listen to it?

My suggestion is that your children will come to appreciate Led Zeppelin if you don't force them upon them. Just play your records, as you normally would, and see how they react to 'em. If they like them, then get yourself a few CD's, or watch a few clips on YouTube.

I find it strange that as a 'lifelong' Zeppelin fan, you don't even have one record on CD.

Or is the point about videos--that there are no videos of them doing studio versions of the songs, minus solos? (How could there be? Or, if you just want the kind of video where the song's accompanied by pictures, you can make that yourself.)

I can't play my kids Led Zeppelin for free and its about time they payed their dues to theose blues guys!!!

'Cos after all, THEY are the greedy ones!

:huh::baby:

Hi Knebby

Could be a Troll or a previously banned person returning, trying to play games with our heads.

My own story is this, when i found Led Zeppelin's music my whole life changed for the better, i became focused and knew just what good, no great music was. They have set the standard for everyone else to follow, and in most cases these bands have failed abismally.

Everyone who has known me since, knows me as That Zeppelin Obsessed Person. When my kids came along i used their music to drown out all the crying untill my babies cryed because i wasnt playing Zeppelin songs. :lol:

As young babies they would jump and jig about every time Zeppelin was played, and they still all have a great love of the band, 20+ years on. My wife likes them, though not as much as me, but i allow her her own mind, well that's what New Age Cavemen are supposed to do, right? :D

I would beg, steal, borrow or even buy all Led Zeppelin's music if i didnt alreadt have everything 5 or 6 times over (or more), money was and never is a barrier to listing to them. So if "bigfatmomma" is for real this is my message to her/him, get the Led out and get rocking, you can get most of their albums on CD for under a tenner (£10=$20) if you cant afford that then tell the next person who's going to buy you a Christmas or Birthday Present you want the Box Set, here's the link.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/6-/Search.htm...;searchsource=1

There are no excuses for not having all of the Led Zeppelin Collection of Songs, you have been warned. :watchingyou:

Regards, Danny

You can listen to just about anything for free on listen.grooveshark.com; you can't download it though. There is plenty of Zeppelin there, including some live stuff. Playlist.com is another similar site.

I'm now convinced the poster was talking about videos.

Not that that makes much more sense, but at least it explains the "views" in the title. It does however overlook the fact that Zeppelin were around before the days of music videos, hence the lack of studio videos as opposed to live performances on YouTube. He/she could also spring for the official DVDs and suck up the fact that the kids aren't getting "free views."

Beyond the ambiguous opening post, i find that my child enjoys music best in the car. To get her interested in Led Zeppelin, i chose Houses of the Holy as her introduction. She loves the album (i'm sure do to the softer melodies). I have also played her Zeppelin I and III quite a bit and she enjoys them as well. I don't see it as being difficult to get a child interested in good music. Just show some excitement when playing the music and they will feed off it!

edit: due not do :)

Archived