Lily Allen

Bong-Man

From a local blog....

More on that Lily Allen show (you know, the one I photographed)

I got so caught up in shooting the Lily Allen show that I forgot to talk about it.

The sold-out show marked Ms. Allen's first-ever Detroit concert; she had scheduled a show here during her 2007 tour but cancelled her appearance due to illness.

My guess is the two shows would have been very different.

Much of Allen's persona is built on her brassy personality, which sometimes tends to overshadow her work. But at Monday's show, much of that seemed to have subsided, and Allen didn't say anything to be purposely controversial or confrontational. Instead, she focused strictly on the music, offering a healthy selection of material from her first two albums, 2007's "Alright, Still" and this year's "It's Not Me, It's You" during her delightful 75-minute set.

Allen's presentation was laid back but confident, never pushy or showy but presented with a strong sense of self. She can still be a little devil, and songs like "Smile" and "Everyone's at It" have a wicked, biting sense of humor. But she's not afraid to let her guard down on songs like "Chinese," which reveal a depth and vulnerability that make her more than a one-trick pony, or yesterday's tabolid fixture.

With her tight four-piece band backing her, Allen souped up several songs, and added a drum and bass twist to the closing of "Smile." The change of pace worked well -- almost too well, as several other songs could have benefitted from similar reinventions.

At the heart of it all was Allen, who worked the stage with a hip-hop swagger (she was dressed in a Nike hoodie and Air Jordans) that never came off forced but felt totally natural. She closed with a faithful cover of Britney Spears' "Womanizer," showing she's not only got a good sense of humor but she knows a good pop song when she hears one. More than her attitude or sassy reputation, she proved she's got something that is a valuable commodity in the hunt for pop music longevity: Smarts.

It's been a long time since a radio pop song caught my ear, but I'm not afraid to admit that this one has. Am I alone ? :unsure:

I'm not a fan of this song (played to death over here ) - or her. She's a complete pain in the arse - but she claims her most listened-to album last year was Raising Sand, which is a slight curveball.

I'm not a fan of this song (played to death over here ) - or her. She's a complete pain in the arse - but she claims her most listened-to album last year was Raising Sand, which is a slight curveball.

I was listening to XM's "Top 20 on 20".....just to see what's out there and popular at the moment (not my usual fare) I guess after Lady Gaga, Britney, and Flo Rida, this sounded kind of fresh and innocent.

Well that's a point in her favor :D I don't really groove on her music much. It's not awful but doesn't wow me. I've been less impressed with her attitude about a lot of things she's commented on in the media.

Archived