Sexting -- Have You ? ? ? ?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Sexting -- Have You ? ? ? ?

• I have sent only
    • I have received only
    • I have neither sent or received
    • I have sent and received

Theoretically, you're correct. :lol:

I dunno...I think people these days let the technology turn their brains into mush sometimes.

I think even with email, alot of people just forward stuff and don't say anything...whether its time, or just a lack of anything to say, i don't know. With this -sexting... i guess its a quick and easy way to communicate, basically. I think culturally, its not a very good thing. I saw a thing on tv, on how teachers are having to deal with negative things in american culture and its like, too much to ask from our teachers.

While I don't know about the whole "sexting" thing, I have to say that technology has allowed me to meet a whole lot of wonderful people I never would have been able to before - like here for instance :D And texting and IMing has only allowed me to become closer to them.

Now, I'm also old enough to have actual real friends who live close to me, so I do have human interaction. And, I've travelled to meet several of the people I've met online. So technology isn't all bad...

I thought you meant texting at first, which I do all the time. After all you can't make a phone call in a classroom.

Then I figured out what sexting was, and no I don't. That's disgusting. I know people who do, and it's pretty common in my high school. However, I won't be doing that. Bleh. That's so gross.

From what i see, some people don't want to talk anymore...they want to operate around some grey area for some reason. btw, phones are for talking right?

I have a friend who actually prefers electronic communication to talking on the phone or face to face. Something's just wrong with that. As others have pointed out, the innerwebz can be great for finding folks that share your interests that you otherwise never would have met but it's no replacement for actual interaction. I'd never even heard of this until a month or so ago but now there's apparently a service called slydialing that people can use to go directly to someone's voicemail if you don't want to actually speak to them. And, I can see where Caller ID can be a good feature but personally, I've never been one to "screen" phone calls.

NPR's Sound Opinions recently had a segment on how much communication has changed, especially amongst younger folks called Digital Youth. For those interested, you can listen to it here.

I'd never even heard of this until a month or so ago but now there's apparently a service called slydialing that people can use to go directly to someone's voicemail if you don't want to actually speak to them.

Ugh. Why would anyone want that? Who actually likes to talk to an answering machine? I hate leaving messages, and most of the time I just hang up and call back later, rather than leave a message.

I think even with email, alot of people just forward stuff and don't say anything...whether its time, or just a lack of anything to say, i don't know. With this -sexting... i guess its a quick and easy way to communicate, basically. I think culturally, its not a very good thing. I saw a thing on tv, on how teachers are having to deal with negative things in american culture and its like, too much to ask from our teachers.

Thank you!

Teachers are expected to teach children things that should be taught at home these days. Some parents just can't be bothered with, well, parenting anymore.

I thought you meant trte-bold.pngexting at first, which I do all the time. After all you can't make a phone call in a classroom.

Then I figured out what sexting was, and no I don't. That's disgusting. I know people who do, and it's pretty common in my high school. However, I won't be doing that. Bleh. That's so gross.

I hope you're not texting in class. ;)

:lol:

I hear ya, man. Problem is, I think a lot of today's younger generation is too lazy to fuck. If it's not on a cell phone or a computer they can't be bothered. :rolleyes:

Well, maybe they don't know how to fuck yet. And sexting doesn't need condoms or the parents out of the house. But I'd actually prefer "real" sex to any kind of so called sexting. But haven't done both yet.

While I don't know about the whole "sexting" thing, I have to say that technology has allowed me to meet a whole lot of wonderful people I never would have been able to before - like here for instance :D And texting and IMing has only allowed me to become closer to them.

Now, I'm also old enough to have actual real friends who live close to me, so I do have human interaction. And, I've travelled to meet several of the people I've met online. So technology isn't all bad...

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Technology has been very good to me in the past and when the time comes I will get back on the track.

Say hello to my little friend! ;)

apwr_slr_logo.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I was reminded of this thread when this topic came up on another board. It's about a teenage girl committing suicide after her ex-boyfriend spread a nude photo of her around that she had sent to him via her telephone. Reading the responses to such a tragedy reminded me of a segment I saw last weekend on CBS' Sunday Morning. As mentioned below, the segment is not available online but I did find this blog entry that mentions it:

Also heard a think piece by Jeff Greenfield on the Mother’s Day edition of CBS Sunday Morning. His subject, which is unfortunately not captured online in video or text, was “Blackberry Mania.” He cited the Laputa society of Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels,” so consumed with their own deep thoughts they required floggers to keep them from crashing into themselves. All this led into a b-roll shot of pedestrians on cell phones and iPods.

With that image in mind, I’ll lead in to the ultimately closing act of all time, Bob Dylan. His current Rolling Stone interview is not available in its entirety online, so I’ll cite his golden quote here:

"It’s peculiar and unnerving in a way to see so many young people walking around with cell phones and iPods in their ears and so wrapped up in media and video games. It robs them of their self-identity. It’s a shame to see them so tuned out to real life. Of course they are free to do that, as if that’s got anything to do with freedom. The cost of liberty is high, and young people should understand that before they start spending their life with all those gadgets."

^ A perfect example of why i answered your thread about how when i grew up i felt it was great, and instead of telling my child as she grows up how much harder i had it, i am always going to be thinking and feeling how much harder she has it. I think the teens of today have a frightening world to deal with on so many levels.

It is such a shame that young people are engaging in these types of activities. They are not old enough to cope with the consequences that confront them.

My daughters both have cellphones and both text but.... I have the passwords for both and I check often and I've had very frank discussions with both. Again education is the key to making good choices.

I just don't believe the population can be effectively guided by kicking folks in the head forever and I wish government would get a clue. :slapface:

I just don't believe the population can be effectively guided by kicking folks in the head forever and I wish government would get a clue. :slapface:

Just kinda curious what you mean with this in relation to the thread topic?

• 4 years later...

Sexting is for dopes and creepers. So sick and tired of this bullshit, just get your lazy ass in your car and drive to your lovers house goddamnit! How fucking sedentary have people become?

Talk about getting your lover all worked up, I thought that was what the drive over was all about? They know you are on the way, just stewing in their own juices waiting for Mr. Nut to show up and take care of business. If a person needs a cell phone for that, well, they have bigger problems then they are aware of.

Not only do I not sext but I don't even text. If someone wants to get in touch with me right away they can use their smart phone to call me. You know, like actually SPEAK to me instead of sending me misspelled sentence fragments. Of course, I may have my cell phone turned off since I don't use it that often. It's just for emergencies or when I'm traveling. This drives my friends and family up the wall but too bad. I refuse to be available for people to pester 24/7. I might feel differently if I had young children or teenagers but I don't. Or if I worked in a job where people need to contact me regardless of the time. But I don't. I'm not a doctor, lawyer or cop. No one will die, spend a night in jail or terrorize the public if my employer can't get a hold of me after hours.

In my opinion, texting leads to a lot of bad behavior from people I would have expected to know better. My teenage niece actually texted one of her friends during a family dinner last month. Her parents usually insist upon good manners, but somehow they let this slide. I have friends who check their text messages while they're chatting with me. I'm talking about people who are over 40. They got through their teen years and twenties without cell phones but now they can't live without text messaging? One thing I've noticed is that when they get a call on their cell phone while chatting, they'll excuse themselves before they take the call. They don't bother when they check text messages. I think it is incredibly rude for someone to check or send text messages to a third party when they are interacting with people around them.

Rant over. It felt good to get that off my chest.

Archived