The Midnight Special Thread

Dzldoc

:o Ok! I have to admit that when this song was played in the clubs, It was like an aphrodisiac and I had to grab the nearest chick in a little party skirt and hit the dance floor. :bagoverhead:

:banana:;)

Curses if I end up singing that song all night :o:D

Gotta love their karate style costumes :lol:

The Midnight Special rocked! I see the DVD they advertise on the paid programming commercials they air sometimes. I am gonna have to buy it one day. Too bad we don't have shows like that anymore.

It was the time and music. That will never be repeated.

With the homogenization of everything now, it's going to be very difficult to achieve the likeness of great music programming of the past. It simply can't be beat or even matched.

Relish in the archives.

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere so I was thinking about all of the various artists that appeared on this show back in the 70's and It made me realize how diverse the music really was during that era.

I mean there was something for everyone and everyone a hit.

This was one of my all time favorite performances and one of the most underated guitarist of his time IMO.

Bridge of Sighs B)

You are 100% on Trower Rocks

It was the time and music. That will never be repeated.

With the homogenization of everything now, it's going to be very difficult to achieve the likeness of great music programming of the past. It simply can't be beat or even matched.

Relish in the archives.

I watched it back then but I just don't see what was all that great about it. As I've already mentioned, I have fonder memories of performances I saw on programs such as SNL, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, In Concert, Austin City Limits, etc. I was just a toddler when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show, that to me would be something worth writing home about. Not that anyone's putting The Midnight Special in that category, mind you but there's really nothing I recall seeing on there that really stands out in my memory. I recall Alice Cooper doing all of Welcome To My Nightmare on ABC's In Concert, The Edgar Winter Group on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, seeing Elvis Costello, Frank Zappa, the Rolling Stones and tons of others on SNL but can't say I really remember anything of that caliber on The Midnight Special.

As for music programming on television back then it was pretty limited. These days there's still Austin City Limits, Soundstage, Later with Jools Holland and similar programs. It's still few and far between but I don't see it as being any worse than it was in the 70s. Of course, there's been MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, CMT, TNN, etc. but very few of those channels ever lived up to their initial promise. There have been moments though like MTV's Rockumentaries, Unplugged, 120 Minutes, Postmodern MTV, VH1's Storytellers, Legends, Behind the Music, Classic Albums, etc. CMT also ran a very well done documentary on Southern Rock as part of their American Revolutions series. Likewise, VH1 Classic has their Rock Docs series.

I watched it back then but I just don't see what was all that great about it. As I've already mentioned, I have fonder memories of performances I saw on programs such as SNL, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, In Concert, Austin City Limits, etc. I was just a toddler when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show, that to me would be something worth writing home about. Not that anyone's putting The Midnight Special in that category, mind you but there's really nothing I recall seeing on there that really stands out in my memory. I recall Alice Cooper doing all of Welcome To My Nightmare on ABC's In Concert, The Edgar Winter Group on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, seeing Elvis Costello, Frank Zappa, the Rolling Stones and tons of others on SNL but can't say I really remember anything of that caliber on The Midnight Special.

As for music programming on television back then it was pretty limited. These days there's still Austin City Limits, Soundstage, Later with Jools Holland and similar programs. It's still few and far between but I don't see it as being any worse than it was in the 70s. Of course, there's been MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, CMT, TNN, etc. but very few of those channels ever lived up to their initial promise. There have been moments though like MTV's Rockumentaries, Unplugged, 120 Minutes, Postmodern MTV, VH1's Storytellers, Legends, Behind the Music, Classic Albums, etc. CMT also ran a very well done documentary on Southern Rock as part of their American Revolutions series. Likewise, VH1 Classic has their Rock Docs series.

Austin City Limits, Soundstage, Storytellers and Crossroads are great shows. Wish they would air more of their concerts.

Will agree about the music channels. Started off great but MTV in particular is nothing more than reality tv 95% of the time.

That may be the key, that you "don't recall seeing." I saw those other music shows too and yes, they were fun as well.

I realize the latter part of the list may not float everyones' boat, but you'd be disagreeing with several people here as I would too. But for the first 2 years I thought the show was excellent. I realize all of us would have our favorites and often limited exposure and interests, but I found many of these great and I watched nearly all of the first couple of years, seeing these bands below. Maybe it's just not diverse enough. I also liked Wolfman Jack and the non musical events going on. It made for a good show. Are you sure you didn't get into any of these ? Go back to the earliest episodes, in the second link, that are linked to in The Rovers earlier post.

If you can't find something here. Sorry about that.

'72-'74

Edgar Winter

Johnny winter

Buddy Miles

Paul Butterfield Band

Steely Dan

Rare Earth

The Stories

Savoy Brown

ELO

Wilson Pickett

Jim Croce

Wishbone Ash

Curtis Mayfield

The Hollies

Ray Charles

Taj Mahal

Waylon Jennings

The Grass Roots

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Billy Preston

Argent

King Crimson

War

Focus

BB King

Mott The Hoople

New York Dolls

Sly and the Family Stone

Rick Derringer

Muddy Waters

David Bowie

Procol Harum

Humble Pie

Todd Rundgren

John Mayall

Dr. Hook and the medicine show

Loggins and Messina

Steve Miller

James Cotton

Genesis

Ike and Tina Turner

Gordon Lightfoot

Maria Muldaur

Redbone

Gladys Knight and the Pips

Bill Withers

Rory Gallagher

Status Quo

The Staple Singers

The Kinks

Susie Quattro

Leon russel

Doug Kershaw

Michael Murphy

Willie Nelson

Elvin Bishop

Little Feat

Marvin Gaye

James Brown

Grin

Several all-country shows, old and new (for the time)

--Loretta Lynn and Marty Robbins (Co-hosts) - "The Midnight Special" & "Singin' the Blues" --Loretta Lynn (Co-host) - "One's on the Way" & "Love is the Foundation" --Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty - "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man" --Marty Robbins (Co-host) - "Don't Worry 'Bout Me," "A White Sport Coat," "Devil Woman," "El Paso"" --Don Gibson - "Oh Lonesome Me" --Tom T Hall - "Spokane Motel Blues" --George Jones - "The Race Is On" --George Jones and Tammy Wynette - "We're Gonna Hold On" --Johnny Paycheck - "She's All I Got" --Charlie Rich - "Behind Closed Doors" --Johnny Rodriguez - "Bosier City Backyard Blues" --The Earl Scruggs Revue - "Caroline Boogie" --Tanya Tucker - "Blood Red and Goin' Down" & "Delta Dawn" --Conway Twitty - "You've Never Been So Far" --Tammy Wynette - "Stand by Your Man"

Oldies 50s and 60s rock

Comedy including George Carlin and Richard Pryor

Some of the shows had just taped clips of bands, but that was still interesting and fun.

I got into the show and was an avid viewer, I'm just saying there wasn't any one performance I found all that memorable whereas there are other programs where a certain artists' performance stands out in my memory (Stones on SNL, R.E.M., Dire Straits, Peter Tosh, etc. on Letterman). As far as diversity, I'd say The Midnight Special featured a pretty wide range of music. I don't rule out picking up the DVDs someday but it's not something I'm in a real rush to do.

Austin City Limits, Soundstage, Storytellers and Crossroads are great shows. Wish they would air more of their concerts.

As with most everything these days I believe it's all moving to the web. Sites like YouTube leave a lot to be desired quality wise and due to copyright issues lots of videos have been removed (and/or had the sound disabled) but there's also new sites such as Hulu that are hosting full length movies for free. Not long ago I also found a complete Drive-By Truckers concert that had been posted online. Not only was it professionally filmed but it was in HD with excellent sound quality. Unfortunately that site (FabChannel) has since gone offline.

Will agree about the music channels. Started off great but MTV in particular is nothing more than reality tv 95% of the time.

I still don't think MTV was all that great even in the early days. At least it never really lived up to what I would have hoped for as far as 24 hour music programming is concerned. As far as their programming now that is purely a ratings move, same thing for VH1 which is nothing more than so called "realtiy" shows these days as well. That's when MTV2 came around but it too quickly went to shit, plus I believe it's only available on satellite. There is VH1 Classic but as the name implies, it's mostly devoted to older material. Still there is some very worthwhile programming on there from time to time.

• 3 years later...

For DZLDOC, I remember this thread very much...here is another one I am sure our lost companion would have acknowledged or even enjoyed...

I miss this song and the era very much!!

Midnight Special-Sanford Townsend Band "Smoke From A Distant Fire"

Link Only I can post for the Midnight Special here...

Live in the very Modern Era....

• 11 months later...

Archived