Allman Bros really loved Zep

mseeley

Maybe I missed something here but this is about Duane attending a Zeppelin show. I didn't see anything in there about the Allmans sharing a bill with them.

On the nights the Allmans played the Boston Tea Party (May 30, 31) Zeppelin were playing the Fillmore East. Zeppelin played Boston the three nights prior (May 27, 28, 29) so it's entirely conceivable that the Allmans were around, but correct, they didn't share the bill.

I have been a Led Zeppelin fan for over 25 years now and have read almost every book about them, collected dozens of bootlegs, and even seen Page and Plant over 10 times. However, I have never heard or read anything about them sharing the same bill with the Allman Brothers. Of course it is possible that they may have, since I wasn't born then. I know they played a bunch of festival dates with the likes of Cream, Janis Joplin, the Doors, James Brown, the Jeff Beck Group, Ten Years After, Santana, and so on... Even once in Maryland with the Who. So maybe they did share some date(s) with the Allman Brothers. No big deal.

A phony promoter "signed" the Allman Brothers to play the 1969 Atlanta Pop Festival on 7/5/69. When they showed up, they were not allowed to play. Page wore bright red pants that day. That seems to be the most likely candidate for the gig in question.

As it turns out, the Allman Brothers were one of the headliners for the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival.

Zeppelin played with all the bands you mentioned above, but definitely did not share a bill with Cream, though they did share a festival bill with Blind Faith (Eric & Ginger) at the Midwest Rock Festival in West Allis (Milwaukee), Wisconsin on 7/25/69.

Archived