Zeppelin, are they metal?

You can't see how Immigrant song could be musically classified as metal? I mean, I never said that they were definitely a "metal band" but that song rocks pretty damn hard if you ask me.

*headache headache*

I was asking about the "It's about vikings, how much more metal can you get" conclusion. Of course the song rocks, I was disagreeing that Viking=Metal.

*headache headache*

I was asking about the "It's about vikings, how much more metal can you get" conclusion. Of course the song rocks, I was disagreeing that Viking=Metal.

:( I wasn't trying to piss anyone off. I was just giving my opinion. You obviously don't listen to any metal.

:( I wasn't trying to piss anyone off. I was just giving my opinion. You obviously don't listen to any metal.

I've listened to a lot of metal and while I think "Immigrant Song" is definitely one of their "harder" sounding tunes, my definition of what classifies is metal isn't Zep, even that song. But that's just how my ears see it. Others see it differently.

Wrong. ;)

And I was just giving my own opinion just like you. It's nothing about you or me personally, ok?

:beer:

And my lovely Vikings.

vikings.jpg

But more importantly--I love those Vikings! ^^ And not a hint of metal anywhere. :D

I'm a big fan of Hagar and Helga. :D

I was so upset I didn't have enough time to take a Viking-ship sailing when I was in Denmark.

Doesn't the fact that they mention "heavy metal" in the lyrics to Trampled Underfoot alone make them heavy metal?

The term "Heavy Metal" was first used in the Steppenwolf song Born To Be Wild from the Easy Rider soundtrack (and not a Viking in sight!), six years before TU.

Does this make them "Metal" too?

Hardly.

This thread is enough to go Berserk!

The term "Heavy Metal" was first used in the Steppenwolf song Born To Be Wild from the Easy Rider soundtrack (and not a Viking in sight!), six years before TU.

Does this make them "Metal" too?

Hardly.

It was a joke. You must not have clicked on the Viking kitties.

This thread is enough to go Berserk!

Which was most likely the author of this thread's intention. Anyone notice they've only checked back in once since starting the thread?

It was a joke. You must not have clicked on the Viking kitties.

Which was most likely the author of this thread's intention. Anyone notice they've only checked back in once since starting the thread?

Guilty as charged, I'm a dog man myself! :D

The Steppenwolf reference was for the benefit of the author and yes, not much input from the instigator.

You come to expect that from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
I have come over this question quite often while web surfing, and have heard many different responses to the question. I hear modern metal fans say no, while they calamour over Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple as the first metal bands. I have also heard many stout Zeppelin fans say no they are not metal, and i know some of you will be disgusted with thinking about them this way, especially when it is just so much easier to call them hard rock. But i am going to make a case on why they should beconsidered one of the great grandfather metal bands pre-dating Sabbath and forming roughly the same time as deep purple did. I know real music fans hate to catagorize their favorite music, this is especially hard with Zeppelin when they had so many styles and influences. Reason one they should be considered a metal band among other styles too is Dazed and Confused. I know using one song to call them metal is a weak argument but thats why i also say they are not exclusivley anything. Dazed and Confused, just as metal sounding as Sabbath's and Purples's metal songs and even more so with their live performances around 69-70 and on. A second reason is their collective lifestyles and touring escapades. Page was fascinated with the occult and how deep he got into it we dont really know but i am asuming pretty deep considering he bought boleskine house, and has a huge collection of Crowley artifacts, along with the interviews, and i know it irks zepp fans when Page is called a "satanist" and it pisses me of too, but im not calling him that. Their touring escapeds were on a whole different level than before, they had their mudshark incedent, Bonzo rode motorcycles through the riot house, and they consumed a historic amount of drugs, along with destroying their rooms and renting multiple floors. i know this is not really a musical merit qualifying them as metal but these are definatley trademarks of the metal lifestyle. i am kind of rushed to write this, and i left out many points for and against but i hope you can help the discussion with your opinions.

LZ are a Rock band consisting of three musicians and one throat..Metal is something that is used in the making of cars, coins, knives forks & spoons etc................Seriously, just where did this pathetic term Metal come from it has always got on my wick............

LZ are a Rock band consisting of three musicians and one throat..Metal is something that is used in the making of cars, coins, knives forks & spoons etc................Seriously, just where did this pathetic term Metal come from it has always got on my wick............

I believe I read some where that a revue written after his return from England, Jimmy Hendrex's first gig in 1968 (correct me if I'm off on the year) in New York city described his guitar playing as "metal falling from the sky".

They have a few songs that are undeniably metal. Achilles certainly is as metal as an Iron Maiden song. Dazed and Confused is kind of a proto doomer metal dirge. The riffs in Communication Breakdown and Paranoid are pretty much alike. No Quarter also has a metal vibe, especially how it was played live with extra distortion on the main riff. They covered a lot of territory whereas metal bands generally didn't, but metal was part of it.

• 3 months later...

I don't think they're "metal". Some moments in their canon may have verged on "metal". They may have watered the garden that would become "metal". Black Sabbath created "metal". Judas Priest took it and forged true "metal". That's just my opinion of course! :beer:

No offence to anyone:-), but no way are they metal. ZEPPELIN is in a class all by them selves. Heavy Rock, Rock & Roll, Blues...Ballads...whatever,they IMHO are the BEST MUSICIANS that got together and formed THE BEST BAND...

While I love a lot of music I admit I am not open to the idea that there is a better band out there.My opinion and we all deserve our own:-)

I don't think they're "metal". Some moments in their canon may have verged on "metal". They may have watered the garden that would become "metal". Black Sabbath created "metal". Judas Priest took it and forged true "metal". That's just my opinion of course! :beer:

I absolutely agree that Led Zeppelin was one of those fringe bands in the late 60's and early 70's that planted the seeds for crop of Heavy Metal. "Whole Lotta Love" and "Communication Breakdown" are songs that come to mind for me, along with the likes of "In a Gadda Da Vida" "Helter Skelter" "Revolution" "The Green Manalishi" "I Can See For Miles"..............

Jimi Hendrix has a whole branch of the family tree of heavy metal as well, with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and The Who. And bands like The Beatles had a few very important twigs and leafs as well.

I love tracing back music history, and looking at roots and influences!

Yes, Zeppelin had moments of "heavy rock", VERY heavy rock! But imo, I don't think what we've come to regard as "metal" applies. Though many metal bands have taken liberally from Zeppelin a template for Hammer of the Gods rock. On (very) rare occasion successfully.

Archived