Zeppelin, are they metal?

Nothing at the time was considered "heavy metal" or any other kind of metal. That was a term that came into widespread use later.

And yeah, at the time they started out as an "underground" band, like Hendrix, Cream, and co, later to be called progressive (but not "prog" until decades later). We didn't make distinctions of the kind that people make today.

god

i said NOT all of their songs are metal of course since they had songs like the rain song and gallows pole and in my time of dying and their last album except in the evening maybe

i said that really in my first reply

but can you just ignore songs like communication breakdown or achilles last stand or baby i m gonna leave you being metal? or to say at least hard rock don't tell me that they are just art rock band or a trad blues band that would be totally unfair

i don't think so...............

if some people don't like this name or slogan heavy metal this needs another topic named do you like the name metal or not

and other thing to say

zep left being a total metal band that follows one pattern to black sabbath and they had more musical freedom

i hope that you have understood my point knebby

thank you

zep left being a total metal band that follows one pattern to black sabbath

Black Sabbath didn't follow one pattern. There's a lot of light and shade in Sabbath's music too.

Black Sabbath didn't follow one pattern. There's a lot of light and shade in Sabbath's music too.

but in their first and second album there was a lot of gloom and doom out there

i think their light and shade began with sabotage 1975

from this album they began to be really different from their glooooomy pattern of their 1970 album black sabbath

therefore technical ecstacy and never say die weren't understood at its time

ronnie james dio and the other eras were something different by then

i am a sabbath head myself that why i maybe like heavy metal that much but ironically black sabbath also didn't call themselves metal i think perior to ronnie james dio

it was the press that called led zeppelin had called sabbath that name also

i don't want to be out of topic and to turn this into a balck sabbath forum :unsure:

but i like any disscussion related to music in general and to zeppelin especailly

thanks

god

i said NOT all of their songs are metal of course since they had songs like the rain song and gallows pole and in my time of dying and their last album except in the evening maybe

i said that really in my first reply

but can you just ignore songs like communication breakdown or achilles last stand or baby i m gonna leave you being metal? or to say at least hard rock don't tell me that they are just art rock band or a trad blues band that would be totally unfair

i don't think so...............

if some people don't like this name or slogan heavy metal this needs another topic named do you like the name metal or not

and other thing to say

zep left being a total metal band that follows one pattern to black sabbath and they had more musical freedom

i hope that you have understood my point knebby

thank you

You think Babe (it's Babe, not baby), I'm Gonna Leave You is metal :huh:

You think Babe (it's Babe, not baby), I'm Gonna Leave You is metal :huh:

That's speed metal indeed.

I must admit that their later albums like Houses of the Unholy seem more a bit black metal to me, but that transition already started with Stairway to hell.

:D

but in their first and second album there was a lot of gloom and doom out there

Oh, definitely. And on Master of Reality and Vol.4.

i think their light and shade began with sabotage 1975

I'd say earlier than that with Songs like Planet Caravan (1970), Solitude (1971), Changes (1972) and Spiral Architect (1973), not to mention the acoustic instrumentals on Master of Reality, Vol.4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

i don't want to be out of topic and to turn this into a balck sabbath forum :unsure:

Okay. :)

That's speed metal indeed.

I must admit that their later albums like Houses of the Unholy seem more a bit black metal to me, but that transition already started with Stairway to hell.

:D

i think it had a rock arrangement not a folk one like joan baez :unsure: am i wrong

it had power chords it wasn't all finger style folk picking

right

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is speed metal.

Achilles Last Stand is metal.

Are we listening to the same band? :huh: Or, have you invented your own definition of metal?

Sorry, I'm just not hearing what you're hearing!

That's what I'm trying to figure out :huh:

As I've said before, they're just too varied to be classified as metal.

they're metal, blues-rock, folk, they crossed into so many genres that's the power of zeppelin :D

THANK YOU!!!!!!! THEY ARE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE! thats the greatness of zeppelin.. they crossed practically every genre possible in some way or fashion... no band can say that other than the mighty mighty zeppelin.. and its pointless to say otherwise... they invented 70s rock especially but thats a seperate issue.. they crossed genres and invented things along the way.. thats like djzozo said "that's the power of zeppelin"

THANK YOU!!!!!!! THEY ARE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE! thats the greatness of zeppelin.. they crossed practically every genre possible in some way or fashion... no band can say that other than the mighty mighty zeppelin.. and its pointless to say otherwise... they invented 70s rock especially but thats a seperate issue.. they crossed genres and invented things along the way.. thats like djzozo said "that's the power of zeppelin"

Let's not go overboard. :huh:

THANK YOU!!!!!!! THEY ARE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE! thats the greatness of zeppelin.. they crossed practically every genre possible in some way or fashion... no band can say that other than the mighty mighty zeppelin

So, where are those polka, ska and zydeco numbers?

.. and its pointless to say otherwise... they invented 70s rock especially but thats a seperate issue..

Pioneers maybe but singlehandedly?

Led Zep is not a metal band because they had a real musical intelligence(not like AC DC) , their music go beyond any classification, that's why they are the best.

So music classified as "metal" isn't intelligent? AC/DC, like Chuck Berry before them rely on many of the same riffs but I don't think that means either artist lacks "real musical intelligence" nor do I believe metal itself lacks intelligence. Some rock n' roll (like that made by AC/DC and others) just chooses to go for the throat, something that lends that type of artist a very primitive quality, a quality that is the very essence of rock n' roll itself. It's also a quality Led Zeppelin had in droves, do think any real intelligence went into the lyrics of something like Whole Lotta Love besides the usual themes of rock n' roll?

While Zeppelin definitely was more than a run of the mill band and proved that by being so versatile musically, I don't think that alone makes them (or any artist for that matter) "the best".

So music classified as "metal" isn't intelligent? AC/DC, like Chuck Berry before them rely on many of the same riffs but I don't think that means either artist lacks "real musical intelligence" nor do I believe metal itself lacks intelligence. Some rock n' roll (like that made by AC/DC and others) just chooses to go for the throat, something that lends that type of artist a very primitive quality, a quality that is the very essence of rock n' roll itself. It's also a quality Led Zeppelin had in droves, do think any real intelligence went into the lyrics of something like Whole Lotta Love besides the usual themes of rock n' roll?

While Zeppelin definitely was more than a run of the mill band and proved that by being so versatile musically, I don't think that alone makes them (or any artist for that matter) "the best".

When I talk about the musical intelligence, I don't allude to the lyrics in particular,I also mean the musicality.Led Zeppelin were much more creative than AC DC, because they had very talented musicians who liked virtuosity and were very creative.

They made different songs in one single song, like The Who,Queen and few others, they were able to change the rythm and surprise us.That's what makes the great bands.

I was also wondering if AC DC had written at least ONE beautiful song in their career,something like a ballad, but I don t think so(maybe TNT....)

When I talk about the musical intelligence, I don't allude to the lyrics in particular,I also mean the musicality.Led Zeppelin were much more creative than AC DC, because they had very talented musicians who liked virtuosity and were very creative.

They made different songs in one single song, like The Who,Queen and few others, they were able to change the rythm and surprise us.That's what makes the great bands.

I was also wondering if AC DC had written at least ONE beautiful song in their career,something like a ballad, but I don t think so(maybe TNT....)

I hear what you are saying and to a point, I agree that Zep were definitely musically stronger than AC/DC. But that doesn't mean AC/DC aren't a good band. It's just what they do is what they do and nothing like what Zep or the Who, Queen and whoever else chose to create.

I hear what you are saying and to a point, I agree that Zep were definitely musically stronger than AC/DC. But that doesn't mean AC/DC aren't a good band. It's just what they do is what they do and nothing like what Zep or the Who, Queen and whoever else chose to create.

I agree that's not a bad band.Especially when we see all the new bands and their shitting music.

Archived