Zeppelin, are they metal?

I certainly can get my head into most of Zep's music and my hips as well! Thinking Misty Mountain Hop at the moment. Also, How Many More Times is considered one of the first real headbangers. It's all about the groove.

Good point on Misty Mountain Hop...I've always found Plant's vocals on Four Sticks quite metalesque but not the instrumentals. Out on the Tiles is another. And of course, how could we forget...THE IMMIGRANT SONG? and BLACK DOG? Judas Priest covered that. If Zep only had those two songs, they would be mistaken as proto metal folks. Kashmir's string section was also an influence on several bands.

How Many More Times includes "The Hunter" by Free?

Good point on Misty Mountain Hop...I've always found Plant's vocals on Four Sticks quite metalesque but not the instrumentals. Out on the Tiles is another. And of course, how could we forget...THE IMMIGRANT SONG? and BLACK DOG? Judas Priest covered that. If Zep only had those two songs, they would be mistaken as proto metal folks. Kashmir's string section was also an influence on several bands.

How Many More Times includes "The Hunter" by Free?

You are quite correct Led Zeppelin are often mistaken for metal.

It was a cover of Steve Croppers song.

And of course, how could we forget...THE IMMIGRANT SONG? and BLACK DOG? Judas Priest covered that. If Zep only had those two songs, they would be mistaken as proto metal folks.

Mistaken as proto-metal?! At the very least, Led Zeppelin's heavier songs were proto-metal.

A 2005 documentary entitled "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey," a film I have not seen, offers the following flow-chart of metal genres: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

According to the chart, Led Zeppelin is classified as "early metal," a term that resonates with "proto-metal." Of course, this doesn't prove anything but I thought the concept of the flow-chart to be very interesting.

My two pennies worth again...

Led Zeppelin certainly did some metal-type music (Dazed and Confused, Sick Again,Walters Walk, Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love spring to mind) but they cannot be in any way compared to modern metal acts.

Led Zeppelin were masters of all types of rock/blues music and still influence bands today.

I don't believe Led Zeppelin. As Hickory Man said, they helped to shape the genre of metal sound without actually contributing to the genre as a band. Unlike Hickory Man though, I feel wholeheartedly that Black Sabbath is metal, as they were the first true doom metal band and made doom metal possible. So a great thanks to them. Even though this isn't relevant at all, haha.

Archived