In the search of uncirculated sources

Argenteum Astrum

There is confirmation from the road crew itself.

Well, to be pain a bit I think we can say that the road crew even it's obvious they were much close to the band, they couldn't be sure that every show was taped. The band had the control on what was taped or not and from what I've heard, all the tapes were immediatelly given to Page himself so there is a small chance to detect if every show was recorded or not (or 'til EV will issue another sbd revolution). So I think "possible" term is better in use as it comes for this case still.

Well, to be pain a bit I think we can say that the road crew even it's obvious they were much close to the band, they couldn't be sure that every show was taped. The band had the control on what was taped or not and from what I've heard, all the tapes were immediatelly given to Page himself so there is a small chance to detect if every show was recorded or not (or 'til EV will issue another sbd revolution). So I think "possible" term is better in use as it comes for this case still.

You certainly got a point, but it was Showco who recorded the tapes, then given them to page, however what happened between that period "giving to Page" period is unknown.

I just think EV got hooked with the right people in the first place.

January 21, 1975 - CHICAGO (1 audience tape found, possibly another audience tape is in the hands of a tape hoarder)

There are definitely two sources for this show. The one in circulation has only two songs. The alt source was taped by the same person that taped the alt source for the 20th, and the only known source for the 22nd. When I unearthed those two tapes, the person I got them from said the taper only gave him those two nights. The 21st definitely does exists, but nothing is known about the taper at all. We have no idea if he's a hoarder, or just a guy that doesn't know other people like tapes. My friend lost contact with him over thirty years ago.

With all of the '75 and '77 SBDs that have seen the light of day the last few years, I think its safe to say we'll see more. Hell some of the '75 ones were of shows where there wasn't even an AUD source...

There are definitely two sources for this show. The one in circulation has only two songs. The alt source was taped by the same person that taped the alt source for the 20th, and the only known source for the 22nd. When I unearthed those two tapes, the person I got them from said the taper only gave him those two nights. The 21st definitely does exists, but nothing is known about the taper at all. We have no idea if he's a hoarder, or just a guy that doesn't know other people like tapes. My friend lost contact with him over thirty years ago.

Correct! We should have hope that the recording will be liberated someday since it's a great show. How Many More Times just rocks off! Anyone tried to find any tape out via local newspapers' adds? Many people who actually taped or attended Zep shows are now at their ages and possibly for a very long time hadn't any contacts with community or just are not interested anymore in music but there's a little chance they are still reading papers. I can image small, dusty boxes with old cassettes laying down at someone's basements and forbidden for years and waiting to be open...it reminds me BonhamFan's Lousiville 1977 case, where - after 30 years - the entire show was rediscovered!

Are the 2 songs from the Jan 21st show all that exist on the tape or could it be complete & just waiting to be hoarded......

Are the 2 songs from the Jan 21st show all that exist on the tape or could it be complete & just waiting to be hoarded......

These 2 comes from do called 1st source and for years it was labelled to the 20th of January since the tape splicing (in an incorrect song order) the entire show from the 1st source of 20th of January and 2 tracks from the 21st. Another source from 21st (2nd source) is reported to be in the hands of hoarder but no more info is stated yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Around 10 years ago I bought a bunch Led Zep stuff from someone. Amongst the lot was around 20-30 cassettes of live recordings. Most sound like audience recordings, the sound quality varies from OK to fairly poor. I don't know a great deal about bootlegs in general, but from what I understand by this thread is that the list in the first post are recordings not available elsewhere on the net. If so, I have a few of these on tape:

Earl's Court 24th May 1975

LA May 31st 1973

LA Forum 1972 no date

Knebworth 1979 no date

Are all of these available on bootleg LPs ?

There are more, but I assume the one's not mentioned in the first post are already commonplace

Around 10 years ago I bought a bunch Led Zep stuff from someone. Amongst the lot was around 20-30 cassettes of live recordings. Most sound like audience recordings, the sound quality varies from OK to fairly poor. I don't know a great deal about bootlegs in general, but from what I understand by this thread is that the list in the first post are recordings not available elsewhere on the net. If so, I have a few of these on tape:

Earl's Court 24th May 1975

LA May 31st 1973

LA Forum 1972 no date

Knebworth 1979 no date

Are all of these available on bootleg LPs ?

There are more, but I assume the one's not mentioned in the first post are already commonplace

La May 31st and Knebworth 1979 (you'd have to be more specific of the night) where commonly available on bootlegs.

As for LA 72, I'm not sure, but I definitively think it was one of the earliest CD-released shows in the industry, I'm not an LP collector so I'm not sure about it being released on LP.

February 16, 1972 - PERTH (a long discussed "Holy Grail", no proofs here but reported that FM broadcast exist)

Hello from Perth, Western Australia!! Never heard of the Perth tape or a radio broadcast being in circulation. Would be cool if it did exist.

Keep us all posted on successes on your quest.

February 16, 1972 - PERTH (a long discussed "Holy Grail", no proofs here but reported that FM broadcast exist)

Hello from Perth, Western Australia!! Never heard of the Perth tape or a radio broadcast being in circulation. Would be cool if it did exist.

Keep us all posted on successes on your quest.

St Louis 1977/04/15 - exist and already in circulation. Very poor and distant recording with lot of noise and hiss. About 30 minutes or so only.

Bath 1970/06/28 - taken directly from 2 old cassettes and seems to be a different transfer than well known tape used to produce all bootlegs, possibly a higher gen of legendary Krishna LP label, runs slow, hissy and cuts out with 3rd minute of Rock n Roll medley but still more warm and crispy.

1971/12/02 Bournemouth - on some torrent sites it was reported that 2 audience sources exists from this show: one is used by Electric Magic label on "Rock And Roll Magic" (clocks at 143 mins.), the other is either 3rd gen and unknown gen (both sounds similar, unknown gen is more muffled, clocks at 61 and almost 64 mins.) and this one was used in the past by H-Bomb Music on "Heartbeat". I have compared them all and I can say that there is only one audience source available, Electric Magic label used complete source and twinkered it much. H-Bomb used 3rd gen source (or higher) and this was not equalized to death. Both surfaced recordings have the same spectrum and obviosuly 3rd gen is a part of lower gen (master?) that has never been covered to the public trade yet.

Here's an ad from 2/16/72 edition of Melbourne's "The Age" newspaper which states that Led Zeppelin would be "live" from Perth from 4-7 pm. The only problem is, the concert was scheduled to start at 8 pm. Chances are the radio show was just interviews, promos, and studio tracks.

TheAgeMelbourne-2-16-72-ED.jpg

If even recorded, the tapes were taken by the band away and still are in the hands of living members of Led Zeppelin. The same with Japan 1971 tour. Personnaly I do not see any negative evidence to say that both were definitely not taped but - as I said - 'til Page is the master, these tapes will never see the light day. Rememer - they are recorded on 4-track (maybe more) equipment and mixing the whole group while just playing almost always giving at last average results if not worse. This is the proof for me why the band did not decide to release something from before 1972 - just listen to the Hampton 1971 board mix for example; it's awful. Maybe only Texas Pop 1969 is good in terms as it comes for vintage sound quality. BBC were the only ones to liberate since they were recorded on studio equipment live-on-stage and Page had a total control on them. Fillmore West April 24, 1969 and Los Angeles September 9, 1970 TMQ tape are the best examples of recording the show from the monitor mixes/audience by engineers/technicians to get an overlook at the sound while actual show. These are also only for archive purposes only and we have a real luck they leaked out from someone. So if FM was planned, for sure Page abandoned the project immediately after as he heard about the whole thing and I doubt if anyone could taped it on professional desk but...

Out of your add: I think the radio announcement is related to the interview w/whole group that was always labelled as 3XY Perth February 16th on various bootlegs. Equinox "Thunder Down Under" set (the end of disc #5) is the best example.

Here are my notes regarding hoarded shows. Maybe taken from the same source(s) where you've taken your list from.

The only thing I may add is that I recall that the Carnegie Hall 69 show is or was allegedly in the hand's of a Grateful Dead collector who wanted to trade it for something obscure.

SHOWS HOARDED

May 4th Civic Center, Santa Monica

May 23rd Pop Festival, San Jose

March 2nd University of Tennessee, Bent Harbor

You can scratch these off the hoarded list:

May 4, 1969

They didn't play this gig. An ad exists for the Santa Monica Civic Orchestra playing the auditorium on this date. No evidence has ever come to light that Zeppelin played Santa Monica in 1969. I've scoured the L.A. Times and other L.A. newspaper archive websites and came up completely empty.

May 23, 1969

They didn't play this gig either. They cancelled out their appearance (per the Rolling Stone magazine article I have).

March 2, 1975

The myth for this gig started in an old book. There's not even a town in the U.S. called "Bent Harbour!" There's a "Benton Harbour," but that's in Michigan! They did not play at the University of Tennessee which is located in Knoxville.

Thanks for investigation! I will update my tour itineraries asap. Good work, Mikezep!

Few quick questions:

1. The band is reported to perform at Civic Center in Santa Monica a day after so did they play on May 5th?

2. Also the same with 23rd of May. It's more likely they did a gig in Kinetic Playground, Chicago, Ill. on that day since they are scheduled of being in the Illinois state for May 24th also (same venue too) and it's still much close to the Minneapolis (May 18th) and Columbia (May 25th), where they did shows.

I recall Peter Grant explaining the May 23rd show, he says they they changed their start time to early on the Friday (three-day festival) then took a chartered jet back to Chicago to play that evening.

It was just a myth that was perpetuated over and over through the years in countless books, fanzines, and itineraries. The truth was they did not play the festival.

From the Rolling Stone article, "San Jose Scam" dated 6/28/69:

"Several bands, including Led Zeppelin and Muddy Waters, simply cancelled out before the festival---but most of the audiences didn't find out until they arrived at the fairgrounds."

I think that pretty much says it all.

It was just a myth that was perpetuated over and over through the years in countless books, fanzines, and itineraries. The truth was they did not play the festival.

"Several bands, including Led Zeppelin and Muddy Waters, simply cancelled out before the festival---but most of the audiences didn't find out until they arrived at the fairgrounds."

Strong proof and fingers crossed.

It does. All I can add is my notes show Led Zeppelin is actually billed on the vintage poster for this event, the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds - Family Park.

It does. All I can add is my notes show Led Zeppelin is actually billed on the vintage poster for this event, the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds - Family Park.

Northern CalifNorthern California

Folk-Rock Festival

The Jimi Hendrix Experience / Jefferson Airplane / Chambers Bros. / Led Zeppelin / Eric Burdon / Spirit / Canned Heat / Buffy St. Marie / Youngbloods / Steve Miller / Chuck Berry / Muddy Waters / Taj Mahal / Noel Redding / Lee Michaels / Blues Image / Santana / Aum / Elvin Bishop / Poco / Lynn County / Loading Zone / Sweet Linda Devine / Cat Mother / Doc Watson / New Lost City Ramblers

May 23-25, 1968 @ Family Park, Santa Clara City Fairgrounds - California

Could this be it in 68 not 69

Archived