Lester Bangs: Why the hate?

Bertha

I agree with you, Jahfin. But, considering all the different ways there is to access any kind of music today, I would hardly consider classic rock radio an important factor in where music in general is going anymore.

I don't think classic rock radio was ever an important factor in where music is going. If anything it signaled a stagnation in radio programming in general but not the state of music itself. My main point being, I firmly believe people would still find out about Led Zeppelin with or without classic rock radio. Personally, it is one of the reasons I signed up for satellite radio several years ago.

I don't think classic rock radio was ever an important factor in where music is going. If anything it signaled a stagnation in radio programming in general but not the state of music itself. My main point being, I firmly believe people would still find out about Led Zeppelin with or without classic rock radio. Personally, it is one of the reasons I signed up for satellite radio several years ago.

As I said, I agree with you. Where I think I disagree is calling classic rock radio an "abomination". Thats a bit harsh, no? Since its really not that important or relevant,

why have such disgust for it?

Obviously there's people out there who enjoy it, or it wouldn't be there.

I think there's enough room out there for everything, including classic rock radio.

****Second postscript - Rolling Stone critics of the time were often indulgent, smug, verbose and overrated in their critical abilities. I have the books and the magazines, and their guys OFTEN got it wrong...With the exception of Cameron Crowe and Zep - I would honestly say that most RS guys were NOT Zep fans. They always loved Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan though. Those were their gods. Not Jimmy and Robert. :piano::redcard:

In the movie, "Almost Famous," screenwriter Cameron Crowe alluded to the fact that Lester Bangs was his mentor, somewhat.

As Lester would say, "Pass the cough syrup and any other med we can get our hands on..."

I love Classic Rock radio and frankly, don't get the abject hate for it some people seem to have. Without stations like WLUP and WJMK in Chicago, I never would have developed the love for the artists that I do. It's the music my parents listened to when they were my age, so it's what was on in the house.

As I said, I agree with you. Where I think I disagree is calling classic rock radio an "abomination". Thats a bit harsh, no? Since its really not that important or relevant,

why have such disgust for it?

Because I prefer the days when rock n' roll radio actually played new music alongside the older stuff. Those stations still exist but they're few and far between. If Classic Rock radio is going to exist why not at least be inventive with it and play more than the same songs that have been played into the ground already? I'd love to see them take a hint from satellite radio who have broadened the spectrum to include much more than the tried and true and also expose many very worthwhile artists who may not have received their due the first time around.

Another thing I absolutely abhor about Classic Rock radio is that it's created the misguided notion among some that there's actually a genre of music called "Classic Rock" when in fact there is no such genre, it's just a name thought up by a radio executive for a type of radio format.

Because I prefer the days when rock n' roll radio actually played new music alongside the older stuff. Those stations still exist but they're few and far between. If Classic Rock radio is going to exist why not at least be inventive with it and play more than the same songs that have been played into the ground already? I'd love to see them take a hint from satellite radio who have broadened the spectrum to include much more than the tried and true and also expose many very worthwhile artists who may not have received their due the first time around.

Another thing I absolutely abhor about Classic Rock radio is that it's created the misguided notion among some that there's actually a genre of music called "Classic Rock" when in fact there is no such genre, it's just a name thought up by a radio executive for a type of radio format.

Dude, I agree with you, once again. But, the classic rock station where I'm at

always plays new artists music in with the old. Most of it sucks, but there's some

cool stuff in there....occasionally.

Yes, the term Classic Rock is just a word used to package a percieved form of

music for marketing purposes, but then again, everything is put into genres/categories and package'd up and sold.

It's really not that offensive to me, personally.

Dude, I agree with you, once again. But, the classic rock station where I'm at

always plays new artists music in with the old. Most of it sucks, but there's some

cool stuff in there....occasionally.

If they play new music then it's not a "classic rock" station. I'm referring to stations that play the same songs by the same artists day in and day out.

Yes, the term Classic Rock is just a term used to package a percieved form of

music for marketing purposes, but then again, everything is put into genres/categories and package'd up and sold.

It's really not that offensive to me, personally.

I'm not offended either but I do find it very disheartening when I encounter someone that believes there's actually a genre called "classic rock" when in reality, there's no such thing. I'm also not offended by "classic rock" radio itself. It's just that as someone that grew up in the 70s I've heard a great deal of that music ad nauseum already and at a time when many more other artists were also featured. In my area it got to the point a few years ago where the only choices on the radio were the local classic rock station and NPR. All due respect to Boston and their fans but there's only so many times one can stomach hearing More Than a Feeling (or even Whole Lotta Love for that matter) for the gazillionth time. That's when I said, fuck this and subscribed to satellite radio. It's not exactly the be all and end all either (especially since the merger) but it still offers way more choices than terrestrial radio.

The truth is many people these days don't know who Zep are. You can blame Classic Rock Radio stations for playing the dinosaurs and hair metal bands, but many people aren't just going to "stumble upon" Zep unless they hear them somewhere first. I was given "Black Dog" on a tape but without a Classic Rock station like KLOS in LA back in the 80s - I probably wouldn't have deepened my appreciation and curiousity of Zep. I grew up on the Beatles, and jazz music...then some Deep Purple...Zep wouldn't have been on my radar without repeated exposure on the radio.

The big guys you mention have made it, but there are many fine classic artists out there that never get heard unless you try looking for them - maybe on Youtube. The internet has broadened the range of availability for more progressive artists but that's a different argument. We live in different times now.

In the pre-internet days my friend - music wasn't as available as it is now, except on the radio and record stores...now it's arguably just a few clicks away.

Many young people DO know who Led Zeppelin is - look at the number of younger members we have who talk about discovering the band as did their friends, for example. I'd say they were immensely popular now.

You're right about Rolling Stone writers having a kind of institutional bias against Zep. It only started to lift when "hip" bands like Nirvana claimed them as an influence.

Absolutely! Zep was really a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of band to RS critics.

If they play new music then it's not a "classic rock" station. I'm referring to stations that play the same songs by the same artists day in and day out.

I'm not offended either but I do find it very disheartening when I encounter someone that believes there's actually a genre called "classic rock" when in reality, there's no such thing. I'm also not offended by "classic rock" radio itself. It's just that as someone that grew up in the 70s I've heard a great deal of that music ad nauseum already and at a time when many more other artists were also featured. In my area it got to the point a few years ago where the only choices on the radio were the local classic rock station and NPR. All due respect to Boston and their fans but there's only so many times one can stomach hearing More Than a Feeling (or even Whole Lotta Love for that matter) for the gazillionth time. That's when I said, fuck this and subscribed to satellite radio. It's not exactly the be all and end all either (especially since the merger) but it still offers way more choices than terrestrial radio.

Well, Classic rock radio is just a genre that doesn't try for the most part to break in new bands. Fact of life that we will all admit. The beauty is the choice you have nowadays. No station does it all so there's no point screwing up the classic rock station and trying to reform them.

Remember, Zep sounded fresh once upon a time to a new virgin Zep listener (and still does) on a classic rock station. For better or worse, Zep is only going to get serious airplay on a classic rock station, or Last.fm or XM / Sirius....they've become a genre unto themselves.

Well, Classic rock radio is just a genre that doesn't try for the most part to break in new bands. Fact of life that we will all admit.

Classic Rock radio isn't a genre, it's a format.

The beauty is the choice you have nowadays. No station does it all so there's no point screwing up the classic rock station and trying to reform them.

Well, if it's a "Classic Rock" station they're not going to be playing new music anyhow. And yes, there are stations that play both old and new music. They may be in the minority but they are out there. Playing new music isn't an attempt to "reform" anyone, it's how all Album Oriented Rock radio stations used to be.

Remember, Zep sounded fresh once upon a time to a new virgin Zep listener (and still does) on a classic rock station. For better or worse, Zep is only going to get serious airplay on a classic rock station, or Last.fm or XM / Sirius....they've become a genre unto themselves.

My problem with Classic Rock radio isn't that they play Led Zeppelin, it's that they play the same handful of songs by the same artists over and over again. Again, Classic Rock radio and satellite radio aren't the only ones that play Zeppelin. There are still radio stations that play new and old rock n' roll. Can't say that I agree that Led Zeppelin or Classic Rock radio are a "genre unto themselves".

Archived