In Through The Out Door

pevsfreedom

Every Zeppelin album has a different sound. But "In the Evening" is classic Zeppelin ingrediants. "I'm Gonna Crawl" is also in the same equation. The cool part about this album is the direction it takes with "Carouselambra". It's not like other Zeppelin albums where you can just pull a track off to get your fix. It is definately best heard as a whole.

No man, when in the right mood, it's a great album.

Every Zeppelin album has a different sound. But "In the Evening" is classic Zeppelin ingrediants. "I'm Gonna Crawl" is also in the same equation. The cool part about this album is the direction it takes with "Carouselambra". It's not like other Zeppelin albums where you can just pull a track off to get your fix. It is definately best heard as a whole.

No man, when in the right mood, it's a great album.

i'll try listening to it as a whole then :)

got moved to the newbies forum? lol.

The Rolling Stones put out truckloads of "safe" albums and no one criticizes them for lack of creativity but when Zeppelin puts out In through the out door so many hate it.After the first 6 albums the bar was raised so high that they were bound to disappoint or "falter" though I can hardly call Presence or In through the out door creative failures

The Rolling Stones put out truckloads of "safe" albums and no one criticizes them for lack of creativity but when Zeppelin puts out In through the out door so many hate it.After the first 6 albums the bar was raised so high that they were bound to disappoint or "falter" though I can hardly call Presence or In through the out door creative failures

Yeah, but Led Zeppelin is leaps and bounds above the Stones :)

TBH I don't like the last few years of Led Zeppelin studio releases, ITTOD, Presence (only song I like is Nobody's Fault But Mine) and the 2nd disk of Physical Graffiti isn't my favorite either. Coda isn't much either IMO.

I detested the very idea of Led Zeppelin and synthesizers, but this album really grew on me. It's a million miles away from Presence, but then, that's a good thing - just another testament to how versatile they were.

Yeah, saying it's my least favorite Led Zeppelin album, it's still 100x better then most of the other crap out there! :)

Carouselambra is my favorite Zeppelin track and is the song that introduced me to the band back in '79. I actually like the synch driven riff (unlike most fans). Robert's lyrics for this track are in my opinion some of his best. While buried in the mix once the lyrics are known Robert's vocals come through the track clearer (at least for me). I could write a dissertation on why the song is my favorite and ITTOD is my favorite album but everyone has diverse musical tastes. For me the album holds up well in the catalog arsenal. That's why I have a focus on ITTOD. :D

Rick7cc.JPG

Robert

http://www.behindthetoys.com

Carouselambra is my favorite Zeppelin track and is the song that introduced me to the band back in '79. I actually like the synch driven riff (unlike most fans). Robert's lyrics for this track are in my opinion some of his best. While buried in the mix once the lyrics are known Robert's vocals come through the track clearer (at least for me). I could write a dissertation on why the song is my favorite and ITTOD is my favorite album but everyone has diverse musical tastes. For me the album holds up well in the catalog arsenal. That's why I have a focus on ITTOD. :D

Rick7cc.JPG

Robert

Cool poster.

I think a lot of people don't like Carouselambra for the reason you said - it's a synth driven track. In hindsight (and possibly then) it kind of spells the era when Jimmy wasn't at the forefront of their stuff. It's when you know something wasn't right, and, as a consequence sometimes that can put people off. Personally, I hated it on first impressions. I hate synth, and didn't expect much from this. Then I really made myself listen to it, and now I think it's one of the more edgier songs that they ever did. Definately underrated.

I like it. Its not my #1 favorite. I still think its okay. ITTOD at least feels like its in time with the music around it. It feels like a album made in 1979. Its not ahead of itself. I feel that Zep were making an album that was insynch with the music around it. Like When Robert made Now and Zen. He was using samples and keyboards which was the sound of the late 80's.

How else is ITTOD suposed to sound? To me its Zeppelin polite to a certain extent. Its the type of album you can play with your parents around. There really is no major Sex inuendos or dark depressing songs. Its basically a late 70's pop album. Its like Fleetwood Mac level. Enough rock to keep you engaged without it being in your face.

Mc7

I like it. Its not my #1 favorite. I still think its okay. ITTOD at least feels like its in time with the music around it. It feels like a album made in 1979. Its not ahead of itself. I feel that Zep were making an album that was insynch with the music around it. Like When Robert made Now and Zen. He was using samples and keyboards which was the sound of the late 80's.

How else is ITTOD suposed to sound? To me its Zeppelin polite to a certain extent. Its the type of album you can play with your parents around. There really is no major Sex inuendos or dark depressing songs. Its basically a late 70's pop album. Its like Fleetwood Mac level. Enough rock to keep you engaged without it being in your face.

Mc7

Not even close.

I wouldn't say ITTOD was a pop album at all (I wouldn't say FM were pop, either, but that's beside the point). ITTOD was something that was spearheaded by JPJ. His specialities are arrangements and piano. How else was it supposed to sound? Jimmy isn't revving the 'guitar army' on this one, but I wouldn't define the album as 'polite' because of a lack of sexual innuedo or dark lyrics (you make them sound like depressed sex pests :D). If anything, ITTOD seems one of the more depressing albums - I'm Gonna Crawl, All My Love - if only because of the tragedy of Robert's little boy.

For me, I'd say it was underrated.

Rick7cc.JPG

Robert

Nice poster. Where'd ya get it?

Nice poster. Where'd ya get it?

Thank you for the kind words longdistancewinner and 3hrsoflunacy. The image is actually an ITTOD promo ad which was a two page spread from New Musical Express dated August 18, 1979 (pages 28 & 29). In the lower right corner it states "Available From August 20th" and has the Swan Song emblem as well as the Swan Song catalog number for the ITTOD release.

It was the only time I've ever seen the ad (I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared in other paper media formats and outlets though).

I have several promo ads for ITTOD hanging on the wall. The most interesting one is an announcement made Atlantic / Atco records congratulating Zeppelin for placing seven albums on the charts. ITTOD is listed as number one. In addition, the ad lists the six other Zep albums that charted and their position numbers on the chart. It's a simple black and white photo of a mountaintop covered with snow.

Someday I'd like to obtain the six foot tall ITTOD Canadian standee. Right now the ITTOD countertop display will have to do. :D

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

I've loved this album since I first heard it many years ago. Most of the people I've talked to before either hated it or never even heard of it. Shame.

Now I just need to find someone who loves 'Hot Dog' as much as I do. I'd say 'South Bend Saurez' is the weakest track here, but it's still great. I've never met a Zeppelin song I didn't like one way or the other.

Archived